2024 Politics: It's Deja Vu All Over Again

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

2024 Politics: It's Deja Vu All Over Again

Post by Lupine »

And here we go.... :unsure:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: 2024 Politics: It's Deja Vu All Over Again

Post by Gary »

Brilliant thread title! :thumbsup:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :D
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

We're gonna have some fun now. :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

What are your political predictions for 2024?

Is this the year our American democracy crumbles? I hope not. But it's a possibility. I figure life will go on even if it does.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:34 am

Is this the year our American democracy crumbles? I hope not. But it's a possibility. I figure life will go on even if it does.
I am cautious it will not. I am hopeful of intense GOP infighting considering Trump has attacked McConnel recently. The GOP's previous efforts of closing ranks to protect the stink may finally bubble to a serious civil war.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

scottydog wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:34 am

I'm certain that democracy won't crumble- at least for this year and probably not in the next 4 years. If Trump does win I think Democrats and others will be able to stymie a lot of the things he wants to do. All they have to do is run the clock out on his Presidency. Trump will want to get more than 4 years in the White House but that's a Rubicon I'm not sure most Republicans will cross.
As for how this year will shake out... I'm not sure. If the election was held today Trump probably would win by a narrow margin. The situation in Israel is angering the far-left and that isn't helping Biden at all- even though the situation is mostly out of his control. But is is debatable, if not doubtful, the war against Hamas will still be at full swing come November.
I don't see war with China happening as they would gain nothing attacking Taiwan.
Russia will continue to threaten NATO over Ukraine but so far all of Putin's threats have been empty ones. Just ask Finland. :finland:
A real wild card are the respective health of Biden and Trump. At their age a medical emergency or just a scare could swing public opinion. It's possible that the GOP will start aiming their rancor at Kamala Harris because of that. And according to FiveThirtyEight her approval rating is even lower than Biden's at the moment.
Barring any global disaster I think the economy will click along- not doing too great, not doing too terrible- though that probably won't be felt much at "ground level" and that will be Biden's greatest weakness coming into the election. Military actions anywhere in the Middle East could change all that.
As for Trump's trials it's looking likely there won't be a resolution to them before the election and I would be shocked if we see him in jail before then. If he's found to be in Contempt of Court (which is he is obviously goading the various judges into doing) he will be able to milk that for sympathy. "I'm a political prisoner!" Some people will then compare him to Alexei Navalny- regardless of the irony.
The real stress for this year thought will be the general tone and mood of the country going into the next election. It will be ugly. Occasionally violent. And despite the repeated memes of the GOP secretly hating Trump, I don't see them as a whole turning against him.
:crystal_ball:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I pretty much agree with everything Lupy said. The threat-to-democracy is mostly streaming news clickbait. I don't see the independent voters giving the election to Comrade Donald, no matter what the polls say right now, given how they responded to his last term and adding all of his subsequent crimes on top of that. It will certainly depend in part on the economy, but as long as inflation continues to subside and gas prices continue to drop it probably won't be much of a problem. Turnout may, um, turn out to be an issue, as kids generally don't vote and enthusiasm for Biden is low among radicals.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

So one guy is resigning because he got a better job offer and another is resigning because he's frustrated. What a pair of weasels. I think anybody who resigns from an elected position for any non-compelling reason (like health or criminal prosecution) should be forced to pay for the special election needed to replace them. They should also be tarred and feathered. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

But the only thing we need to know:
Neither Clinton nor Trump have been accused of any wrongdoing related to the convicted sex felon.
Side show. :circus_tent:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

One good thing about the MAGA Minions is that they provide so much documented evidence for their own prosecution. :lol:
I think PT Barnum was an optimist. :lol: