Check-In 133: Harshad Happy Untritrium Craig Jones

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Check-In 133: Harshad Happy Untritrium Craig Jones

Post by scottydog »

Happy Saturday, everyone :hello:

We had a lovely evening in Limerick last night. Monti and his wife (both from Olympia, Washington) joined us for dinner at a local pub. It was almost like a movie set of an Irish pub, with everything you'd want and expect in an Irish pub. There were two fiddlers playing Irish folk music, a cute river-dancing girl, pints of Guinness being passed around and consumed heartily, laughter and merriment everywhere, and terrific Irish stew consumed for dinner.

Today the other two couples (college buddies) from the States will arrive and then all 8 of us will drive a mini-van to the coastal town of Kinsale. We'll spend the next 2 weeks hopping from town to town along the gorgeous, rugged southwest coast of Ireland.
Cayla wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 pm
Safe travels, scottydog!
Thank you! As long as I avoid the temptation to kiss the Blarney Stone, I will be safe :kiss:
Cayla wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 pm
I awoke to a text message, stating that my friend's father died suddenly. This was my second family, while growing up. I spent many of summer breaks, and holidays with this family. He had an embolism, while working in his basement. Mama Anna (his wife) found him hours later. I immediately went to the grocery store, went back to Vlad's, and began cooking for the family. They live near Vlad's home, so I brought over homemade soup, salad, bread, and breakfast pastries, yogurt, granola, juice, and fruit.
I'm so sorry to hear this news. This man was like a father to you. How old was he? And I must say how impressed I am that you cooked food for the family -- you are such a good person and good Christian. I should do stuff like this for people more often.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:51 pm
It's National Garlic Day!
They should accompany this with National Teeth Brushing Day :lol:

By the way, did you know that the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia? If it had been invested anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.
Lupine wrote:
Later I will put the (hopefully) repaired dryer through its paces.
You are a genius for your ability to fix the thing. Did you consult Youtube videos or did you just naturally know how to do it?
Lupine wrote:
I hope the food is magically delicious.
Speaking of magically delicious, I really do need to buy a box of locally made Lucky Charms cereal.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:07 pm
Well, my Kindle has decided to stop charging. Luckily a new one should be here by the time I get home tomorrow.
How long did this old one last? I imagine you use it so much that you got your money's worth out of it.
RJDiogenes wrote:
There once was a girl from Limerick
Who was unabashedly polysyllabic
She was eager to rhyme
Time after time
With every Tom, Dick, and Frederick
You're the only person I know who could possibly find a rhyme for the word polysyllabic :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I am the Nexus of ReNext. :cooldude:
We'll call you The Pain in the Assus of ReNexus :lol:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.You should celebrate with another 19 Crimes wines
2.Vlad really was hoping for a house with a yard
It's National Garlic Day!
4.It is if you like potatoes and... uh... potatoes.
1. nope i had the most delish * BENGUELA COVE WALKER BAY MOODY LAGOON - S AFRICA - 2019 the 2019 bversion is one of the bedst wines going in the reds.
2 maybe he can get a plot at an allotment if he gets the accom but hasnt got a garden?
3 so...you used yr drier to mash garlic? lol.....
4 garlic aloo, saag aloo, methi aloo.....?

talking of death, and near dead....the nephew of the lady I used to help care for whom y'all knew as B is in hospital. He is a hypechondriac, but at some point his constant health fears may actualise. he has had blood cancer previously and overcome it once...but...it may just be something he ate, as it appears to be bowel related...but could be a return of the dreaded C word... if he comes out with a 6 week care package, hes going to need daily calls after those 6 weeks...so i might have extra work on my hands.

as fo today i THINK (we had two plans and shes leaning toards this one) we are going to Wakehurst Place.
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

Hi everyone! :hello:

Between working outside when it's decent, fighting winds, heat, creeped out by ticks, loading hay in the storage, and buying hay, drawing up plans for the garden, re-building the garden, searching for a medal I found in a photo I took (there's a story), trying to do some writing, having to fill out information, so much proof of this and that, like I actually exist, etc... not once, but twice, because government, plus LiHEAP wanting all the same info, etc.... Finding out that supposedly my paternal 5th great grandfather knocked up my 5th gr. grandmother when she was 9, etc... I really got lost from here. Sorry about that.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:47 am
If Elara joins us, we may get visual evidence of all her injuries.
Yikes! I don't look quite that old! The wrap might be realistic, though. ;)
scottydog wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:10 am
Lupine wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:41 pm
It's Bat Appreciation Day!
Sorry, but I do not appreciate flying rodents :scared:
Do you give out manly screams if they dive bomb you? :lol:

Enjoy your time in Ireland. Say hi to my relatives! :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:10 am
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm
And, of course, there was the smell of the ink from the copy machine. It was a wonderful place.
I remember the delicious scent of ditto and mimeo machines and how we'd all sniff that beautiful inky smell of the purple ink.
omg, that was the best smell, kind of like bananas. I used to love being a teacher's helper in Junior High, because I got to run all the work sheets off. I breathed that scent in all the way to the class! :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 am
Lupine wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:23 am
Actually they're not rodents. :professor:
4 and theyre cute.....
And soft.

I am so sorry for your loss, Cayla. And that was a really nice thing you did for the family.
Lupine wrote:
omg, get out of my head! That was my first thought when I read "Limerick"! :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:51 am
Thank you! As long as I avoid the temptation to kiss the Blarney Stone, I will be safe :kiss:
That'd be a hard pass for me. My Irish roots could not convince to kiss that stone.

I'm in Central time, but I don't have a web cam. I have a phone (not like I know if that would work), but with my hearing, I'd basically have to hold it to my ear. You all could get a good look at the inside of my ear... Nah. :lol:

Scotty, you asked me some time back, how long I lived without heat. In all, 4 winters.

I decided to check to see if I had already answered that, and got thoroughly distracted by this little exchange:
Re: Check-In 132: Pronic Aethra Ogle - HNY 2024 Post by Madeliaette » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:03 am gm

1.Do you recognize anybody at ReNext?

1.not in detail....though Lupe and Elara I have known at some previous life point in the past, i think - but i dont know if we were related, friends, coworkers, whatever...

by scottydog » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:27 pm
I wonder if you, Lupy, and Elara were part of some lurid love triangle. Perhaps you and Lupy were married and you caught him in bed with Elara, prompting you to give her some of her first major injuries :lol:

by Lupine » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:54 pm
All while we were taking part in the Battle of Crécy.

by RJDiogenes » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:10 pm
To me, this has the ring of truth. :yes:

by Madeliaette » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:57 am
8 some form of battle or war may have been a possibility - it would explain Elaras constant accidents and yr interest in historical costumes and my fiesty fiery temper that i have battled to overcome....but as i said i dont know.
So, I'm not only injury prone, and in a battle, but I'm a harlot, too? Okay, maybe. :lol: I have got to keep better tabs on you people!

I am curious how we knew each other, aside from that being a homewrecker scenario. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Off I go to breakfast at Mom's. The sun is coming up well before six oclock now.
scottydog wrote:
It was almost like a movie set of an Irish pub, with everything you'd want and expect in an Irish pub. There were two fiddlers playing Irish folk music, a cute river-dancing girl, pints of Guinness being passed around and consumed heartily, laughter and merriment everywhere, and terrific Irish stew consumed for dinner.
Both my Mother and Uncle Ken visited Ireland and said pretty much the same thing.
Today the other two couples (college buddies) from the States will arrive and then all 8 of us will drive a mini-van to the coastal town of Kinsale.
Oh, good grief, this sounds like a recipe for a bad movie. :lol:
Just don't French kiss the Blarney Stone. That's in bad taste.
Speaking of magically delicious, I really do need to buy a box of locally made Lucky Charms cereal.
Never eat plant-based Lucky Charms. :no:
How long did this old one last? I imagine you use it so much that you got your money's worth out of it.
Five or six years. It had a good life.
You're the only person I know who could possibly find a rhyme for the word polysyllabic :lol:
Some words have to be forced to rhyme against their will.
We'll call you The Pain in the Assus of ReNexus :lol:
I'm proud of being a pain in the ass. That's why I called myself Diogenes when I entered the world of the Internet. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:09 am
so...you used yr drier to mash garlic? lol.....
Talk about DIY. :lol:
garlic aloo, saag aloo, methi aloo.....?
That would make a good name for a Check-In Thread, because I have no idea what it means. :lol:
talking of death, and near dead....the nephew of the lady I used to help care for whom y'all knew as B is in hospital. He is a hypechondriac, but at some point his constant health fears may actualise. he has had blood cancer previously and overcome it once...but...it may just be something he ate, as it appears to be bowel related...but could be a return of the dreaded C word... if he comes out with a 6 week care package, hes going to need daily calls after those 6 weeks...so i might have extra work on my hands.
Yikes. Hopefully it's just tummy trouble. How old is he?
Elara wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:44 am
searching for a medal I found in a photo I took (there's a story)
Sounds like an interesting one.
having to fill out information, so much proof of this and that, like I actually exist, etc...
When I was going to renew my license, the checklist said I would need a birth certificate. I happen to have one, dating back to the 60s, so I brought it with me. They never asked for it though.
Finding out that supposedly my paternal 5th great grandfather knocked up my 5th gr. grandmother when she was 9, etc...
Wow, she must have been very precocious, in the medical sense. The youngest patient we ever had when I was in Women's Health was eleven, and that was pretty extreme.
Yes, I think we've established that you somehow look younger than me. :lol:
My Brother did. He went swimming in my Sister's pool one time when they were away on vacation and got chased away by bats. :lol:
omg, that was the best smell, kind of like bananas. I used to love being a teacher's helper in Junior High, because I got to run all the work sheets off. I breathed that scent in all the way to the class! :lol:
I used to hold the pages up to my face and take deep breaths. No doubt this explains a lot.
I have a phone (not like I know if that would work), but with my hearing, I'd basically have to hold it to my ear. You all could get a good look at the inside of my ear... Nah. :lol:
Which brings us back to potatoes.... :lol:
So, I'm not only injury prone, and in a battle, but I'm a harlot, too? Okay, maybe. :lol: I have got to keep better tabs on you people!
Things happen fast here. You've got to show up more often. :lol:

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

Since I was off Wednesday and Thursday, I am work both lunch and dinner shifts, today. Yesterday, I was able to leave work for a bit, to go to the wake. My mom is in town for the funeral, so I was able to visit with her, there. scottydog, he was 77, and appeared healthy. The family suspects he may have had an aneurysm.

As for the townhome, it is back to the drawing board. They accepted another offer.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

This month is spring cleanup in town where people can haul trash to the sanitation facility for free disposal. Problem is a copy of the trash bill is needed, and I don't have one for April. They usually bring large dumpsters out to a local convenience store, so people have a place to dispose of trash, no bill required. Nothing has been posted on the usual web pages or social media, so I'll find out when I head to the store today.

Other than that, I'll log into work to knock out some stuff since the weather is going to be very cool.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, returners.

It's 420! :feelinggood:

As for today... well, nothings breaking down (yet), nothing needs repaired immediately, no dark clouds are looming, so today may be... relaxing. :unsure:
scottydog wrote:

We had a lovely evening in Limerick last night. Monti and his wife (both from Olympia, Washington) joined us for dinner at a local pub. It was almost like a movie set of an Irish pub, with everything you'd want and expect in an Irish pub. There were two fiddlers playing Irish folk music, a cute river-dancing girl, pints of Guinness being passed around and consumed heartily, laughter and merriment everywhere, and terrific Irish stew consumed for dinner.

Today the other two couples (college buddies) from the States will arrive and then all 8 of us will drive a mini-van to the coastal town of Kinsale. We'll spend the next 2 weeks hopping from town to town along the gorgeous, rugged southwest coast of Ireland.

Sounds like a good time. :yes:
scottydog wrote:
By the way, did you know that the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia? If it had been invested anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.
:warn: :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Lupine wrote:
You are a genius for your ability to fix the thing. Did you consult Youtube videos or did you just naturally know how to do it?
YouTube videos as I had never seen the mechanics of a dryer before. But I've never been one to let things like lack of talent or gross incompetence stop me.
Elara wrote:
Hi everyone! :hello:
Elara's still alive! :bounce:
Elara wrote:
Lupine wrote:
omg, get out of my head! That was my first thought when I read "Limerick"! :lol:
:lol:
Elara wrote:
I have got to keep better tabs on you people!
It can be a tough job. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

My new Kindle came and now my old Kindle is charging again. Now what do I do? :unsure:
Cayla wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:06 pm
Yesterday, I was able to leave work for a bit, to go to the wake.
That's nice of them to accommodate you like that.
The family suspects he may have had an aneurysm.
They're not doing an autopsy?
Gary wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:13 pm
Problem is a copy of the trash bill is needed, and I don't have one for April.
Is this a bill for your trash removal?
Lupine wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:54 pm
It's 420! :feelinggood:
High five!
But I've never been one to let things like lack of talent or gross incompetence stop me.
You too?

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

We had a nice 2 hr drive from Limerick to Kinsale and have retired to our tiny hotel room for the night. Tomorrow we visit a couple of ancient castles and medieval forts.
Cayla wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:06 pm
scottydog, he was 77, and appeared healthy. The family suspects he may have had an aneurysm.
That's so sad. I hope he led a happy life.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:09 am
i had the most delish * BENGUELA COVE WALKER BAY MOODY LAGOON - S AFRICA - 2019 the 2019 bversion is one of the bedst wines going in the reds.
Yummy. Did you taste dark fruit, spices, tobacco, and tannins?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:28 am
Both my Mother and Uncle Ken visited Ireland and said pretty much the same thing.
It truly is a beautiful island. The people are extremely friendly and the weather is actually cooperating.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Just don't French kiss the Blarney Stone. That's in bad taste.
We passed on the Blarney Castle because we visited it 10 years ago. So we did some shopping while some of the others in our group kissed the darn stone while others wisely bypassed it.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I'm proud of being a pain in the ass. That's why I called myself Diogenes when I entered the world of the Internet. :lol:
If you look at the Encyclopedia, one of the entries is called 'Positive Deviance'. Heroes are unafraid to make waves and stand up and speak out, even if it irks others. That makes you a hero in my book. Literally.
Lupine wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:54 pm
Sounds like a good time. :yes:
We are indeed having a good time. Ireland is beautiful, and let me tell you, the Irish girls are stunningly gorgeous :love:
Elara wrote:
Finding out that supposedly my paternal 5th great grandfather knocked up my 5th gr. grandmother when she was 9
Whoa, is that even biologically possible??
Elara wrote:
My apologies. I told the Bing AI image generator to show a middle-aged woman wrapped in bandages. It didn't follow instructions!
Elara wrote:
I give out womanly screams, not manly ones :lol:
Last edited by scottydog on Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.I really got lost from here. Sorry about that.
2.how long I lived without heat. In all, 4 winters.
3.garlic aloo, saag aloo, methi aloo.....?
That would make a good name for a Check-In Thread, because I have no idea what it means.
4.Hopefully it's just tummy trouble. How old is he?
5.Now what do I do?
6.Did you taste dark fruit, spices, tobacco, and tannins?
1 wow......welcome back
2. congrats- another of us that survives sans heating. im voluntary, though
3.garlic aloo, saag aloo, methi aloo = indian potato dishes. basically aloo=spud, so garlic pots, spinach pots, and fenugreek pots - all delish
4 oh hes in his 80s - and its apparently leukemia
5. blame mercury retrograde
6 no i tasted strength, smoothness and depth

poksoies....were over the 470 mark so ill set up the next thread ready to hop to in case wese all overpost today.....tho probs wont be needed til mon/tues/wed.

today 3 hrs work, quick refreshments then off to a gardening job before indian food!
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I thought of Maddie when I read this article about how scientists are beginning to believe that all life, including animals and plants, may have consciousness.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:46 am
Did you taste dark fruit, spices, tobacco, and tannins?
no i tasted strength, smoothness and depth
Interesting. That's how people describe good ballroom dancing. I guess it applies to wine, too!
Madeliaette wrote:
today 3 hrs work, quick refreshments then off to a gardening job before indian food!
I notice you have the next check-in thread all queued up. Well done :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Another day of stuff and nonsense, assuming I can fit it all in.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:22 pm
Tomorrow we visit a couple of ancient castles and medieval forts.
When you're there, just think that some of my ancestors may have lived in them. :lol:
The people are extremely friendly and the weather is actually cooperating.
Are you sure you're in the right place?
If you look at the Encyclopedia, one of the entries is called 'Positive Deviance'. Heroes are unafraid to make waves and stand up and speak out, even if it irks others. That makes you a hero in my book. Literally.
I think we can be positive that I'm deviant. :lol:
Whoa, is that even biologically possible??
Yep, that's called precocity-- early sexual development. It's rare, but becoming more common. We used to see it mostly in immigrant children or the children of immigrants. The reason is that even the junk food in America is so much better than what they're used to that it jump starts their metabolism.
Madeliaette wrote:
garlic aloo, saag aloo, methi aloo = indian potato dishes. basically aloo=spud, so garlic pots, spinach pots, and fenugreek pots - all delish
Ah, cool, more slang to remember. :D
oh hes in his 80s - and its apparently leukemia
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What's his prognosis?
blame mercury retrograde
Okay, especially since it's still not charging right and is kind of glitchy.
were over the 470 mark so ill set up the next thread ready to hop to in case wese all overpost today.....tho probs wont be needed til mon/tues/wed.
Yeah, probably Tuesday night.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:34 am
I thought of Maddie when I read this article about how scientists are beginning to believe that all life, including animals and plants, may have consciousness.
Hmm. I'll check that out, but I am skeptical.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, conscious ones. :sleep:

This and thating today, though probably too much outside as it's predicted to be pretty hot out (compared to what we have been getting).
scottydog wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:34 am
Though I've met a few people I'm not so sure about. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

I got my Kindle all set up, then realized I would have to restore it to factory settings and start over to bring over all my settings from my other Kindle. I did that, but none of my book collections came over-- luckily I was able to figure that out, but for some reason a couple of hundred books reverted to the unsorted folder. Another weird thing is that one of my daily comic emails refuses to display graphics-- and graphics are kind of important when you're reading the comics. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:36 pm
I've long wondered if humans have a spectrum of sapience, just as there is a spectrum of intelligence or creativity or whatever. The thing that made me wonder about this is the people who can't grasp the problem with the Star Trek transporter-- they just can't grasp that there's a difference between an individual and a perfect copy of that individual. It kind of creeps me out....

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I'm excited about playing golf in the morning at Old Head golf course. It's breathtaking -- I highly recommend you watch this short clip that shows how the golf course juts out into the North Atlantic Ocean.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 am
Another day of stuff and nonsense, assuming I can fit it all in.
The paradox of what you do is that it is nonsense yet perfectly sensible at the same time.
RJDiogenes wrote:
When you're there, just think that some of my ancestors may have lived in them. :lol:
I see no evidence of storage units situated nearby these ancient castles.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Are you sure you're in the right place?
Indeed. We've had perfect weather, blue skies and warm temps, and all the natives are astounded. I'm sure our luck will soon run out.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Yep, that's called precocity-- early sexual development. It's rare, but becoming more common. We used to see it mostly in immigrant children or the children of immigrants. The reason is that even the junk food in America is so much better than what they're used to that it jump starts their metabolism.
It's fascinating and scary. Can you even imagine a 9-yr-old being a parent? It would be a disaster for both mom and child.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:36 pm
Human consciousness is somehow both the highest and lowest forms of consciousness in the universe.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:20 pm
The thing that made me wonder about this is the people who can't grasp the problem with the Star Trek transporter-- they just can't grasp that there's a difference between an individual and a perfect copy of that individual. It kind of creeps me out....
I had a friend who thought the transporter was like a FAX machine, sending copies of people from place to place. I had to explain that it's the same person being sent, with their atoms being disassembled and reassembled.