Check-In 133: Harshad Happy Untritrium Craig Jones

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-In 133: Harshad Happy Untritrium Craig Jones

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.I thought of Maddie when I read this article about how scientists are beginning to believe that all life, including animals and plants, may have consciousness.
2.I notice you have the next check-in thread all queued up
3.What's his prognosis?
1well i agree insedts do...
2 just in case....
3i dont yet know any details

ahead a day of muku followed by a watering mof the crops at the plot mif it doesnt rain
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Monday, everyone :hello:

I hope everyone's doing well. It's another chamber-of-commerce day in Ireland, and golf should be fun.

Two surprising things I've learned about Ireland in the four days we've been here:

1. I underestimated how much the Irish really hate the English. I thought there would be a mere dislike, but no, it's a burning hatred, and of course it's all due to centuries of England invading Ireland and imposing their will on the Irish.

2. Related to the above, I had no idea that Ireland is a nation of two languages. I just assumed Ireland was purely English-speaking, but no, everyone's bilingual with English and Irish Gaelic as the two languages. All the street signs and even store signs are written in both languages. You can even hear both languages being spoken, and let me tell you, they are nothing like each other.

To say "Ireland is a great and quirky nation" in Irish Gaelic, you would say: "Is tír iontach agus aisteach í Éire."

Here’s a breakdown of the phrase:

Is - is (a form of the verb 'to be' used for equating or defining, often used to describe something)
tír - country or land
iontach - wonderful or great
agus - and
aisteach - quirky or strange
í - she (referring to Ireland, which is feminine in Irish)
Éire - Ireland
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

It's another Chamber of Horrors day here in Eerie Land. Bwahaha.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:53 pm
It's breathtaking -- I highly recommend you watch this short clip that shows how the golf course juts out into the North Atlantic Ocean.
Quite a water hazard. :lol: The website doesn't seem to say anything about that lighthouse. Do you get to go there?
I see no evidence of storage units situated nearby these ancient castles.
Ask to be shown the Keep. Hopefully they'll let you back out again.
It's fascinating and scary. Can you even imagine a 9-yr-old being a parent? It would be a disaster for both mom and child.
At that age, it's physically dangerous. The eleven-year-old that I mentioned earlier was a long-term admission for most of her pregnancy and they delivered the baby as early as it was safe to do so.
I had a friend who thought the transporter was like a FAX machine, sending copies of people from place to place. I had to explain that it's the same person being sent, with their atoms being disassembled and reassembled.
And "disassembled" means "dead." :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:45 am
i dont yet know any details
Well, good luck to him. I hope he's not in any pain, at least.
ahead a day of muku
More Play-Doh monsters?
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:55 am
It's another chamber-of-commerce day in Ireland
That's a new one on me. :lol:
I underestimated how much the Irish really hate the English. I thought there would be a mere dislike, but no, it's a burning hatred, and of course it's all due to centuries of England invading Ireland and imposing their will on the Irish.
It depends on where you go and who you talk to, but yeah, it's another place of generational grudges and hereditary hatreds. Like everybody else, they need to get over it.
Éire - Ireland
There's a place called the Éire Pub in my old neighborhood in Dorchester.

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

This weekend was spent house hunting, church, and a dinner outing.

RJ, the autopsy results is pending.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, Earthlings.

It's Earth Day!
As for here it's the same'o, same'o.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:29 am
:unsure:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I underestimated how much the Irish really hate the English. I thought there would be a mere dislike, but no, it's a burning hatred, and of course it's all due to centuries of England invading Ireland and imposing their will on the Irish.
It depends on where you go and who you talk to, but yeah, it's another place of generational grudges and hereditary hatreds. Like everybody else, they need to get over it.
Agreed. I'm not big into forgiveness, but I'm a huge fan of get the bleep over it.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Golf was fun, although I didn't play particularly well. Now we're about to go out to dinner as a group. I'm exhausted and ready to crash, so hopefully we won't be out late.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Quite a water hazard. :lol: The website doesn't seem to say anything about that lighthouse. Do you get to go there?
That's a good question. I didn't ask. The Wife and I have gone up several lighthouses and have always really enjoyed the view from the top :telescope:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I had to explain that it's the same person being sent, with their atoms being disassembled and reassembled.
And "disassembled" means "dead." :lol:
Dead? Yikes. Did I describe the transporter technology incorrectly? Or are you saying that there's no way we can survive our atoms being scrambled.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I agree. Get over it, and forgive, and move on. That's the only way that Israel and the Palestinians can ever achieve peace.
RJDiogenes wrote:
There's a place called the Éire Pub in my old neighborhood in Dorchester.
Cool beans. I bet most people don't even know what Éire means.
Cayla wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:32 pm
This weekend was spent house hunting, church, and a dinner outing.
I wish you and Vlad were house hunting for your 1st home as honeymooners :love:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:38 pm
Agreed. I'm not big into forgiveness, but I'm a huge fan of get the bleep over it.
I think forgiveness has to happen, otherwise how do you get over it? Each side of any conflict has to be willing to acknowledge that they have contributed in some small way to the problem. That kind of humility is rare and is why conflicts are so hard to resolve.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Well, I'm a little worried now. It's been a week since I've heard anything from jgc and she hasn't posted on Facebook. I texted her yesterday and today, and have not heard back. It's not unusual for her to go quiet for a while or take a long time to reply to texts, but this is long even for her.
Cayla wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:32 pm
RJ, the autopsy results is pending.
Well, I'm glad they decided to do an autopsy. I think it's better to know.
Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:38 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
:unsure:
That was supposed to be a riff on Chamber of Commerce Day in Erie, but probably just sounded weird. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:58 pm
Dead? Yikes. Did I describe the transporter technology incorrectly? Or are you saying that there's no way we can survive our atoms being scrambled.
There's no way to survive. You'd be killed and an exact duplicate would be made at the other end. Other people would not know the difference and the duplicate would have all your memories, but the original you would be gonzo.
I agree. Get over it, and forgive, and move on. That's the only way that Israel and the Palestinians can ever achieve peace.
All over the world, people whine and moan about things that happened centuries ago to people long dead. It's counterproductive to say the least-- except for the people who profit from throwing gasoline on the fire.
Around here they do. There's a large Irish population. When I lived in Dorchester back in the 60s, the whole neighborhood was all Irish and Puerto Rican.

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Dinner was great, the wine was flowing, and now I'm semi-unconscious and ready for bed.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:24 pm
Well, I'm a little worried now. It's been a week since I've heard anything from jgc and she hasn't posted on Facebook. I texted her yesterday and today, and have not heard back. It's not unusual for her to go quiet for a while or take a long time to reply to texts, but this is long even for her.
I've also noticed her absence. Do you have the contact info of any of her friends or family members?
RJDiogenes wrote:
There's no way to survive. You'd be killed and an exact duplicate would be made at the other end. Other people would not know the difference and the duplicate would have all your memories, but the original you would be gonzo.
That's so interesting. I get what your saying, but would I (as my "copy") even know that I've died and/or been duplicated?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Around here they do. There's a large Irish population. When I lived in Dorchester back in the 60s, the whole neighborhood was all Irish and Puerto Rican.
And this is also so interesting. Everyone knows that Boston has a lot of Irish immigrants from the past centurry and a half, but I'm surprised that they've kept up with Irish Gaelic enough to know that Éire means Irish.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:

Hope everything's OK.
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:28 am
Sounds like an interesting one.
Well, judge for yourself:
Well, I've been getting caught up on deleting bad photos, photos that are duplicates (take several to make sure to get one good), and videos that aren't any good. This means with some photos, I am truly not sure what it was I was taking a picture of, so they require studying. One in particular, from Oct. 2017, before I figured out the real reason for the photo, I found something in it I had not noticed. After I saw it, I also saw the fox or coyote print, which was the reason for the photo:
Coyote or Fox print+.jpg
If you haven't found it, draw a line from the upper right corner of the square, on the right side of the line, in the middle (from top of image to top of square) you will see it.
It looked like a pin of some kind. It had an eagle and two crossed cannons. Looking it up, I discovered it was from the Civil War, a G.A.R. pin. Now, I had figured this out, but it's been 7 years since that photo was taken. I know where it was, approximately. But a horse could have gotten it caught in her hooves, carrying it who knows how far, or it could be about where it was, just deep in the dirt. So, I search the area, following the path from start to finish. No sign of it, so next is to start digging. I dug an area a couple inches deep, 2 feet by 4 feet the first day, breaking the dirt up, checking through each shovel full, then did the same the next day (really all I had time or energy to do after working in the gardens). That night I thought about how my son said he thought the medal was familiar when I told him about it, like maybe I had already pointed it out to him, but it wasn't familiar to me. Then I remembered that my son had gone out and picked up a bunch of glass along the same path (which he doesn't remember doing. :lol: ), and I was sure it was around that time. Finding Bobcat tracks, Fox tracks, coyote tracks in the same period of time, kind of sticks out in my memory. Anyway, he placed what he picked up in an old kettle, which was still sitting untouched on the porch. So the next day I dumped that kettle out and went through all of it, and there it was. I really wish I had thought of that before I wasted time digging!
I can't find a Civil War veteran in my ancestry. The only veteran I know of that far back, was Col. T, the supposed father of the baby, he served in the Revolutionary War. Reason number...I lost count..., for starting a paid subscription to Ancestry.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wow, she must have been very precocious, in the medical sense. The youngest patient we ever had when I was in Women's Health was eleven, and that was pretty extreme.
TIL. I never knew that word meant that.

As for my 5th gr grandmother having a child at 9 (youngest on record was 5 years old), it's possible. I am kind of doubting it was 5th gr. grandfather Col. T. Her next child with Col. T. was at age 15, with them giving that second son the name T. jr. Not unusual, but it feels off. Why not name first born son T. jr.? Also, from T. jr. on, all their children (10 total) are about 2.3 years apart. The time between John and T. jr. is 6 years. Now, sure, this could be because of her age, but other things make me wonder. Her father died at about 53+ (guess work on his age), they might have had their only child around age 15-20, and they only had one child. Now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't 5th gr grandfather, but possibly 6th gr grandfather, and maybe Col. T. just adopted the child. Or, another possibility, this was actually Col. T's child with another woman, and 5th gr. grandmother adopted him when they married. I'm hoping looking at census records might give an answer. To think, I thought it was weird having first cousins who married, in my ancestry, all of this is on my paternal side (I can't look as far back on my maternal side, yet).
All because I found a G.A.R. medal in the pasture. I had to look more in depth at the people.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Yes, I think we've established that you somehow look younger than me. :lol:
Have we? Do I? Maybe the hair, since I have very little grey. :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
My Brother did. He went swimming in my Sister's pool one time when they were away on vacation and got chased away by bats. :lol:
:lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Things happen fast here. You've got to show up more often. :lol:
I will try. :unsure:
Lupine wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:54 pm
Elara's still alive! :bounce:
I know, it's a shock! :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:54 pm
It can be a tough job. :lol:
I am not too sure "tough" quite covers it. :D
scottydog wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:22 pm
Whoa, is that even biologically possible??
Apparently. The youngest on record was 5 years old when she had a baby. No record of the father.
scottydog wrote:
My apologies. I told the Bing AI image generator to show a middle-aged woman wrapped in bandages. It didn't follow instructions!
Don't be silly. No need to apologize. Just don't do it again. :warn: :lol:
scottydog wrote:
I give out womanly screams, not manly ones :lol:
Now, I gave my son the benefit by calling his scream a manly scream, as he ducked back into his room when the bat I was chasing flew down the hall at him. :lol: This was at the apartment. In the years we lived there, we had 3 bats get in.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:46 am
1 wow......welcome back
Danke. :)
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:46 am
2. congrats- another of us that survives sans heating. im voluntary, though
If the temps here didn't drop below zero F, and even worse windchills, for extended periods of time, and my fireplaces were in working order, I'd consider going without using the furnace. But after living in the old, really drafty house for 24 years, with a working furnace, but not allowed to turn it up over 50 degrees, plus the years without the furnace, I really detest being that cold. :lol: However, I get the chimneys cleaned, the insert in the upstairs fireplace repaired, I'm thinking of using them in the Fall and Spring to save money. We certainly have enough wood here.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 am
scottydog wrote:
Whoa, is that even biologically possible??
Yep, that's called precocity-- early sexual development. It's rare, but becoming more common. We used to see it mostly in immigrant children or the children of immigrants. The reason is that even the junk food in America is so much better than what they're used to that it jump starts their metabolism.
These were my Irish ancestors, both were born in Ireland in middle 1700's.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:55 am
2. Related to the above, I had no idea that Ireland is a nation of two languages. I just assumed Ireland was purely English-speaking, but no, everyone's bilingual with English and Irish Gaelic as the two languages. All the street signs and even store signs are written in both languages. You can even hear both languages being spoken, and let me tell you, they are nothing like each other.
I'm guessing you've never watched The Quiet Man. Maureen O'Hara (born in Ireland) speaks both English and Gaelic in the movie. That movie, and Maureen O'Hara, made me want to learn the language. Never did. Had enough trouble with German, then Bohemian. :)
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:42 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
I've also noticed her absence. Do you have the contact info of any of her friends or family members?
Again? :( I'm gonna stop coming back, these last two times my return is when she goes silent and worrisome things happen.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.More Play-Doh monsters?
Well, I'm a little worried now. It's been a week since I've heard anything from jgc and she hasn't posted on Facebook
3,the duplicate would have all your memories
4.they've kept up with Irish Gaelic enough to know that Éire means Irish.
1 no, choc cupcakes, baloons, books, marbles, imaginatiuon, planting carrots, watering onions, and play park!
2 oh oh......maybe she got tangled up in her crochet-knitting and....
3. noipe personality/memory/karma would not be transmitted 0- itd be a zombie
4....um....im not Irish and i knew that much
today....4 zooms/3 hrs work/2 hr online meeting with diploma tutor.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Today I may mix things up and try some nonsense and stuff instead of stuff and nonsense.
scottydog wrote:
Just through Facebook. I went through all of her Friends to see if anybody posted anything, but no such luck.
That's so interesting. I get what your saying, but would I (as my "copy") even know that I've died and/or been duplicated?
I guess that would depend on the circumstances of the transport and the religious beliefs of the transportee, but from the internal perspective of the transportee they would feel just like the original.
And this is also so interesting. Everyone knows that Boston has a lot of Irish immigrants from the past centurry and a half, but I'm surprised that they've kept up with Irish Gaelic enough to know that Éire means Irish.
In most cases, it's just a handful of words and phrases. "Cead mile failte" is another common one.
Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:11 pm
Hope everything's OK.
Me too. At least we know that Steve the nurse was looking in on her. As of her last text, he was on his way over.
Elara wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:22 am
So the next day I dumped that kettle out and went through all of it, and there it was. I really wish I had thought of that before I wasted time digging!
Still, that's quite a sequence of events. You could have been an archaeologist. :lol:
I can't find a Civil War veteran in my ancestry.
Oddly enough, one of the few things I know about my ancestry is that I have a Civil War veteran. I've even got a copy of his discharge papers.
TIL. I never knew that word meant that.
Yep, it's a thing. In fact, that's why puberty blockers were invented.
Now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't 5th gr grandfather, but possibly 6th gr grandfather, and maybe Col. T. just adopted the child. Or, another possibility, this was actually Col. T's child with another woman, and 5th gr. grandmother adopted him when they married.
Okay, I see. You're right, if it's not certain that 5G grandmother actually gave birth to the kid, another explanation is more likely. The way things worked in those days, it could have been the child of an older sister or cousin, or 5G's younger sibling. There was a lot of death in those days that resulted in kids being shuffled around like that. Perhaps their marriage was more like taking custody.
All because I found a G.A.R. medal in the pasture. I had to look more in depth at the people.
Pretty cool. :D
Apparently. The youngest on record was 5 years old when she had a baby. No record of the father.
What was the outcome? Delivering a full-term baby could be deadly for a five year old. It's amazing that the pregnancy even survived that long. I wouldn't be surprised if the baby had some deficits, if it lived.
These were my Irish ancestors, both were born in Ireland in middle 1700's.
Hmm. I'm not sure there was that much of a difference in the standard of living between the two countries in the 1700s, but sometimes it just happens with no discernible reason.
Again? :( I'm gonna stop coming back, these last two times my return is when she goes silent and worrisome things happen.
Correlation is not causation. :D
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:03 am
no, choc cupcakes, baloons, books, marbles, imaginatiuon, planting carrots, watering onions, and play park!
What does she do with marbles?
oh oh......maybe she got tangled up in her crochet-knitting and....
I hope that's all it is. She has gotten pretty absent minded.
noipe personality/memory/karma would not be transmitted 0- itd be a zombie
That reminds me of an old Science Fiction story from the 50s or 60s. I can't remember who wrote it, but I'll see if I can find it.
online meeting with diploma tutor.
How's that going?

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, bibliophiles.

It's World Book Day! :book:
And the first day of Passover.
Elara wrote:
As for my 5th gr grandmother having a child at 9 (youngest on record was 5 years old), it's possible. I am kind of doubting it was 5th gr. grandfather Col. T. Her next child with Col. T. was at age 15, with them giving that second son the name T. jr. Not unusual, but it feels off. Why not name first born son T. jr.? Also, from T. jr. on, all their children (10 total) are about 2.3 years apart. The time between John and T. jr. is 6 years. Now, sure, this could be because of her age, but other things make me wonder. Her father died at about 53+ (guess work on his age), they might have had their only child around age 15-20, and they only had one child. Now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't 5th gr grandfather, but possibly 6th gr grandfather, and maybe Col. T. just adopted the child. Or, another possibility, this was actually Col. T's child with another woman, and 5th gr. grandmother adopted him when they married. I'm hoping looking at census records might give an answer.
I recommend a DNA test. From there you can cross-reference your tree with others. That way you can get a better idea on who's related to who. I've cleared up a lot of hazy parts of my family tree that way.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:33 am
scottydog wrote:
Just through Facebook. I went through all of her Friends to see if anybody posted anything, but no such luck.
I did the same thing. I also ran her name through Google just in case.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I can't find a Civil War veteran in my ancestry.
Oddly enough, one of the few things I know about my ancestry is that I have a Civil War veteran.
As do I: Sergeant Ransford Daniels (which was an alias) serving with the Ohio 192nd infantry.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Today we did a Jameson Distillery Whiskey tour in Midleton. I really dislike whiskey but, you know, when in Rome.... The whiskey consumed straight was dreadful, but when in a mixed fruity drink it was pretty good.
Elara wrote:
I'm guessing you've never watched The Quiet Man. Maureen O'Hara (born in Ireland) speaks both English and Gaelic in the movie. That movie, and Maureen O'Hara, made me want to learn the language. Never did. Had enough trouble with German, then Bohemian. :)
You're right, I've never seen The Quiet Man. But now that I'm spending 2 weeks in Ireland, I'm very interested!
Elara wrote:
You're not allowed to stop coming back. We miss you during your long, injury-riddled absences :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Maybe no news is good news. Like you said, she's now absent-minded.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Oddly enough, one of the few things I know about my ancestry is that I have a Civil War veteran. I've even got a copy of his discharge papers.
I have a Civil War veteran ancestor, too. So does the Wife, only her ancestor fought for the other side. For all we know, they were shooting at each other :mellow:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 pm
As do I: Sergeant Ransford Daniels (which was an alias) serving with the Ohio 192nd infantry.
Pretty cool. Maybe Sergeant Daniels was shooting at my wife's ancestor, too :lol:
Last edited by scottydog on Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I finally heard from jgc a few minutes ago. She was having a problem with her phone, but it's okay now. And Steve the Nurse just brought her some supplies.
Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 pm
It's World Book Day! :book:
In that case, I think I'll buy a book. :cooldude:
I did the same thing. I also ran her name through Google just in case.
Me too. There are enough people with similar names to give me several heart attacks. :lol:
I forget my ancestor's name. I'll try to remember to look at the documents when I stop by the storage cave this week.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:15 pm
Today we did a Jameson Distillery Whiskey tour in Midleton. I really dislike whiskey but, you know, when in Rome....
Do they have wine in Ireland? It must be murder stomping potatoes. :wine:
Maybe no news is good news. Like you said, she's now absent-minded.
Which is problematic, but she's okay.
I have a Civil War veteran ancestor, too. So does the Wife, only her ancestor fought for the other side. For all we know, they were shooting at each other :mellow:
Perfect example of why we should let bygones be bygones. :lol: