Check-In 134: George Reed Sophrosyne Tally Ho

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Check-In 134: George Reed Sophrosyne Tally Ho

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, travelers in time and space.

It's National Superhero Day!
Also Biological Clock Day and Clean Comedy Day... which really don't seem to go together. :lol:
As for here, probably some weeding ahead with minor repairs on this and that.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:06 am
I'm glad we didn't miss it. The ReNext notification for birthdays is very easy to miss.
It is. And I don't think there's a way to get notifications.
You just have to keep an eagle eye out.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I'm back from time and space. There seems to be three times as much of the latter as there is of the former.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:41 pm
Now we're talking!
Also Biological Clock Day
:panic:
and Clean Comedy Day...
:secret:
You just have to keep an eagle eye out.
That's a lot of pressure. I don't know if I can deal with it. :unsure:

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:10 pm

Now we're talking!
There's a 4th season episode of Elementary that goes into that.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Today was a fun day of driving around, visiting a hidden lake, hiking on a woodland trail, seeing a 3,000-yr-old stone circle similar to Stonehenge, and listening to an Irish folk music band in a stereotypically Irish pub.
RJDiogenes wrote:
And now it is Blog Day and Not-Having-To-Worry-About-Jury-Duty-Tomorrow Day.
Sounds like you may have some survivors' guilt. Or not.
RJDiogenes wrote:
No doubt about it, the Emerald Isle is a beautiful place.
'Tis true, she's a real beauty this isle of Ireland. I had no idea. The people especially are fun and friendly and have the most quirky senses of humor. I really resonate to it.
RJDiogenes wrote:
We've stopped by many remains of ancient castles, forts, churches, and beehive dwellings.
This is what would interest me the most.
You're like my wife, who loves these historical things. They're okay, but what I love is the terrain, the flora, the fauna, the rocky cliffs, etc. The place is so darn rocky that it's surprising that any potatoes grow here at all.
Lupine wrote:
Finally a day of hero worship! It's high time I say.
Lupine wrote:
Also Biological Clock Day and Clean Comedy Day... which really don't seem to go together. :lol:
Biological clock day? Is that the day when all women in their 30s grow nervous about the tenuousness of their reproductive capability?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:10 pm
Lupine wrote:
Now we're talking!
I do believe there's an Encyclopedia entry on those real life superheroes. They're a fascinating bunch.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:27 pm
Oh wow, yet another TV series I should be watching. Who's got time? Retirement is keeping me too busy.
Last edited by scottydog on Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^We'll have to find some to ask. :lol:
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

First night in my new flat! Bed was delivered Friday, more tomorrow, so am staying overnight tonight. It's quiet, and warm even with no heating on. Got a kitchen chair serving as a bedside table, no sofa for a week or two, still need to build my desk, but I'm getting there.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm. cartoon heroes and clocks? um.....pass. onto reality for me! Sounds like a happy step, Jim. I doubt i will move home again in this life...but i guess its possible. ahead today - muku from 6.45am til 2pm, then possibly some work down the plot followed by study.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Monday, all :hello:

I'm running late, checking out of our hotel here in Killarney and heading up to Tralee to play golf, then onto La Hinch where we'll see the Cliffs of Moher tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great day! :guitar:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

It's Monday! Time to put on my cape and foil a bank robbery or mad scientist plot or something.
Lupine wrote:
What's their take on it? Does Lucy Liu get a superhero costume? :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Today was a fun day of driving around, visiting a hidden lake
I don't know how you'd hide a lake, but that sounds cool.
seeing a 3,000-yr-old stone circle similar to Stonehenge
Fantastic.
and listening to an Irish folk music band in a stereotypically Irish pub.
Oh, well. :lol:
Sounds like you may have some survivors' guilt. Or not.
"We find the jury dodger guilty!" :judge:
You're like my wife, who loves these historical things. They're okay, but what I love is the terrain, the flora, the fauna, the rocky cliffs, etc.
I like both and, in fact, I really like the synergism of the ruins rising up out of the hills and fields.
I do believe there's an Encyclopedia entry on those real life superheroes. They're a fascinating bunch.
I can see myself as a real-life superhero. Doc Diogenes. My costume will be a white lab coat and aviator goggles. :lol:
Jim Gamma wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:58 pm
First night in my new flat! Bed was delivered Friday, more tomorrow, so am staying overnight tonight. It's quiet, and warm even with no heating on. Got a kitchen chair serving as a bedside table, no sofa for a week or two, still need to build my desk, but I'm getting there.
Congratulations. It's like camping out when you've only got a couple of pieces of furniture like that. How did you sleep?
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:44 am
cartoon heroes and clocks? um.....pass.
But a Buddhist-themed superhero would be cool. :cooldude:
ahead today - muku from 6.45am til 2pm, then possibly some work down the plot followed by study.
Does Muku have any interest in superheroes, like Wonder Woman or whatever?
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:55 am
checking out of our hotel here in Killarney and heading up to Tralee to play golf, then onto La Hinch where we'll see the Cliffs of Moher tomorrow.
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ra... Too-ra-loo-ra-li....

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, superheroes.

It's International Dance Day! :dance:
As for here just the usual grind of day to day life. I am wishing allergy season would end so I could wake up not feeling like a zombie.
Jim Gamma wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:58 pm
:thumbsup:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:55 am

I'm running late, checking out of our hotel here in Killarney and heading up to Tralee to play golf, then onto La Hinch where we'll see the Cliffs of Moher tomorrow.
Have fun!
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:37 am

It's Monday! Time to put on my cape and foil a bank robbery or mad scientist plot or something.
I'll analyze the evidence in my lab. :lab:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
What's their take on it? Does Lucy Liu get a superhero costume? :lol:
Sadly no. :lol: The plot revolves around the murder of a "superhero" and that eventually ties into the publisher who made the comic the guy based his costume on.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Today jgc got a call from someone claiming to be Publisher's Clearinghouse, telling her that she won millions of dollars and a car, and that the Prize Patrol would be visiting her today. I wish I could get my hands on them. :no:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:51 pm
Hand me down my tuxedo, next week I'm coming back for more.
I'm ready for action, Chief!

Sadly no. :lol: The plot revolves around the murder of a "superhero" and that eventually ties into the publisher who made the comic the guy based his costume on.
Well, that's an interesting contemporary plot, anyway.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Today's golf at Tralee was fabulous, the best golf course we've ever played. It was designed by Arnold Palmer in 1982. I just wish I had played better.
RJDiogenes wrote:
scottydog wrote:
Today was a fun day of driving around, visiting a hidden lake
I don't know how you'd hide a lake, but that sounds cool.
The lake wasn't on the maps, so I'm guessing that only privileged locals knew it existed -- our tour guide being one of them. The lake was surrounded by tall mountains, and a strange animated fog strangled the countryside on all sides. There was an ancient church on an island in the middle of the lake. We rowed out to see it, got out of the boat, ambled a few yards, and that's when it happened....
RJDiogenes wrote:
"We find the jury dodger guilty!" :judge:
If a conscientious objector can get out of the draft, they should be able to get out of jury duty. Or maybe not :shrug:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I like both and, in fact, I really like the synergism of the ruins rising up out of the hills and fields.
I think you're onto something. The most fantastic ruins are fantastic because they are surrounded by sheep and are shrouded in fog on a lonely, rocky hillside.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
I wish I had known this -- I would have asked The Wife to dance today. Oh well. There's always next year's International Dance Day.
Lupine wrote:
I am wishing allergy season would end so I could wake up not feeling like a zombie.
Are there still flowers blooming? Do you think you're officially done with the rainy season?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:06 pm
Today jgc got a call from someone claiming to be Publisher's Clearinghouse, telling her that she won millions of dollars and a car, and that the Prize Patrol would be visiting her today. I wish I could get my hands on them. :no:
Arghh. I hope she didn't come close to falling for the scam. No doubt they wanted her bank info :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:

How do you get AI to make an image of an old gray-haired guy without a beard? I'm tried a million times and they always put a beard on anyone I describe as an older man.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Good grief. :no:
They might have been from "Publishing Clearinghouse" as well as we used to get calls from them. Scammers.
RJDiogenes wrote:

Awesome! :thumbsup:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 pm
Lupine wrote:
I am wishing allergy season would end so I could wake up not feeling like a zombie.
Are there still flowers blooming? Do you think you're officially done with the rainy season?
Everything is still blooming. :as: Rainy season is well over but stuff here blooms as long as it can.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Got my cat (The Nerd) to the vet today. Sure enough, she was running a temperature about 3º-4º higher than normal. I detailed to the veterinarian how her behavior rapidly changed starting on Thursday (actually Wednesday night by not sleeping with me) and how she just looked miserable. Turns out she was dehydrated. Fortunately, the vet was able to draw plenty of blood to have the lab run tests on her numbers since she's being treated for a kidney deficiency. The vet put her on an IV for a few minutes and used the port to administer some pain medication. I ended up going home with a hydrated cat and some medicine for her for the next few days. The vet said she'd start to improve "in about six hours". She was very perked up when we arrived home and, once let out of her carrier, proceeded to patrol the house. Her demeanor and appearance improved with each passing hour to the point she was very quickly back to her usual self.

Meanwhile, I was knocked offline today due to some technical issues with my ISP. So, I spent most of the day helping troubleshoot what possible equipment issues I might be experiencing. That is now resolved, so I can catch up with work at "the office" tomorrow.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.