Nussey Mag Alpha Release

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Nussey Mag Alpha Release

Post by australis »

Okay, I've added a poem I've been reworking. Hope y'all like it. This is also a bit of a test for me, in terms of posting etc. Let me know it it's right or not.

I've got another poem under way, then maybe a few articles. Could also add the book reviews I've already done in ReNext, what sayest thou?

ETA: RJ, I just read 'October Road'. They strike me as oddly similar, the repetition of the title each (sort of) stanza, and similar in rhythm.

Great minds think alike. And so do we. :)

ETA2: also added something different, an Aussie short story. See what you think.
Last edited by australis on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Hi guys. Thanks so much on working on this! I'm going to be fixing the template in the next push (the poetry & fiction, and the nonfiction pages are still super funkified), and adding the submission guidelines for outside submissions.

Additionally, we should start thinking about the first round of contests. Poetry and short fiction to start. Let me know if you have any ideas!

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
:canadian: :james: :wiggle:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Renie wrote: Additionally, we should start thinking about the first round of contests. Poetry and short fiction to start. Let me know if you have any ideas!

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
I'm clueless about contests like that, so I'm going to chime out and leave ideas for that to RJ...as a Kellyz veteran, I think he has plenty of experience with writing contests. :yes: If I think of anything that might be of use though, I'll speak up.
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ NAHT was always in charge of the contests, but I'm sure I can come up with something. :D
australis wrote:ETA: RJ, I just read 'October Road'. They strike me as oddly similar, the repetition of the title each (sort of) stanza, and similar in rhythm.

Great minds think alike. And so do we. :)

ETA2: also added something different, an Aussie short story. See what you think.
That poem is great; I love all the Minoan imagery and the speculative ending. I've often wondered that myself. And the story is hilarious, very amusingly written. Good work. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

^ Thamks for that :D

Renie, for a poetry comp, how about something simple as a starter? Suggest a haiku. Perhaps on sunrise, or wind, or lakesd. Haikus are supposed to have a nature theme, which is why I suggested those. Paraphrasong Wikipedia, "Haiku typically contain a seasonal reference, and a distinct pause", as well as 3 lines of 5, 7, 5 syllables. Elegant and straightforward, but involves a little thought and creativity to get right.

I'll have a think about the short story comp. In keeping with the thme off simple for starters, maybe a drabble, on some theme.

ETA:
Actually, I remembered an idea I had for a drabble, ooo, decades ago. I've rewritten it and added it. Now, a genuine drabble is apparently 100 words exactly. Mine, at 105 words, is perhaps a little too brief to get the idea and the characters across clearly. My suggestion would be 150 words and less. See what you think.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ I like that idea. We used to do drabbles all the time at Kellyz. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Cool, a haiku for the first poetry contest, a drabble for the first short fiction contest...sounds good. :yes:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Um...I hate to sound like a n00b...but what is a drabble?
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

's ok, I didn't know 'til recently either.

A drabble is supposed to be a short piece of fiction that is exactly 100 words long. Apparently it comes from Monty Python's 'Big Red Book'.

Very tough to do. I've posted one in NusMag ('Gender') as a bit of an experiment, and it's 105 words. It's not very good, frankly, big idea, too few words, maybe. I'd like to either try again, which I don't think would help, or make our comp 150 words and less. Not that I'm going in it ( :) ), but I can see it's tough.

And now you know. :)

BTW, we'll need themes for the comp, I can't think of any yet, but in what is in effect a dynamic magazine, how do you know when the comp is closed? Do we just set a time limit and go from there? Or set a time limit, but people can add drabbles on the same theme after that if they want?

Not lookin' to cause trouble, just sayin'. :)
― Terry Pratchett
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^Thanks. It's odd that I've never heard of a drabble before...Haikus are are easy to write though, IMO. Perhaps somewhere on the contest pages we should have an explanation of what each type of writing is, for people who wouldn't otherwise know.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Hey, good idea. A writer's glossary. :yes:

australis, I suppose we should set some easily rememberable time limit on contests, like seasonal or something.

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^now, how does the judging work? Do ya have several different eliminations (think American Idol *shivers*), or do all of them just get jumbled into one big hat, and decided upon from there? Or, are they judged by several editors, and given points, like Iron Chef? The one with the most points wins?

Ooo...this is getting exciting!

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

That's up to out Goddess-like Editor in Chief. :D
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, I don't know. At Kellyz, any member could vote. Here, maybe, the Editors will vote and choose.

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Nope, contests will be very similar to how they've been at Kellyz, and how they've been here. The entries will be posted on *ReNext*, not the magazine. Then members get to vote here, just like usual. Then the winning entries will be posted to the magazine, with a link to all the entries and the voting thread.

Sound good? That's the most democratic way, really :)