Nussey Mag Alpha Release

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Nussey Mag Alpha Release

Post by Renie »

This is a mag to track the progress of the Alpha version of Nussey Mag. All admins/editors and other contributors please post relevant information in here (what is relevant will become more obvious as time goes on, don't worry :lol: )

To start:

Nussey Mag is located here: http://www.nusseymagazine.com

and here: http://www.nusseymagazine.com/blog2/

Create a Wordpress account here: http://wordpress.com
:canadian: :james: :wiggle:
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Re: Nussey Mag Alpha Release

Post by Renie »

I've added a bunch of categories.

I've changed the stylesheets and am in the process of configuring some of the pages.

I'm making a navigational header for the pages.

We're getting closer! :)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Groovy. Let me know what you need me to do. :)
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Thanks, RJ! Right now it's pretty much all in development. I'm testing custom headers for the pages (which would be like newspaper sections, putting related categories under a single header). Check out the General Media page so far: http://nusseymagazine.com/blog2/general-medi/

Right now I need to tweak the featured categories in the three columns so that they've got thumbnails, but beyond that the page is getting closer to its final state. I'm going make the custom headers similar to this one in style from page to page.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Lookin' mighty fine. :yes: It's all coming together great Renie. :thumbsup:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

^ What he said :)
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, that looks nice. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Can I offer one suggestion? Layout and everythign is fine no problem. I just feel it might be better if it opened in a new tab rather than the same page a reader is already on. I'm pretty sure it's a straightforward bit if coding in the address for the page (tab=new or something like that).

Reasons are things like the starting point is just a tab over rather than having to navigate back, and means it can stay open in the browser, even if the reader isn't looking at it right then, it's up there to remind them, if you see what I mean.

That might be just me, thought i'd mention it anyway.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Hmmm...I understand where your coming from, but it would kind of defeat the blog-format for the mag to have things open up in new windows/tabs. When I want to open things up in a new tab and keep what I'm reading up, I just right-click and choose "open in a new tab." So the option is there for someone who really wants to take it ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, of course! :yes: :D
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Work has been crazy, and shingling the house and planning for the wedding has been increasingly eating up my little extra time. I'm working on the image header for the Nonfiction page, and then I think we'll have the pages we need to start moving forward. Most important will be to tweak the pages so there are a few more categories visible (instead of three, it would be nice to see six, all in a grid). I can do this by tweaking the PHP.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

SPOCKED has been keeping us updated on the work around the house. I'm not surprised you don't have much extra time. It's coming along very well, though. :yes:

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Cool!

I added the General Nonfiction page, and the six-category template. I'm still tweaking things a lot on this page.

Once things get settled I'll put up a few tutorials on how to post - like how to put on images correctly, how long to make excerpts, and so forth.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's looking good. :yes:

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

I'm getting close to releasing this to the first regular writers to start populating. I need to update the templates for a few pages, but beyond that it's getting close.

So that means there will be some upcoming tutorials on how to make posts so that thumbnails show on main pages, and I'll be asking for people to sign up (which means that I'll be sending invitations to those who want to be regular writers).

I think I'll test this out first on RJ if he doesn't mind, and work out the kinks of registering and posting from a regular writers' perspective (whose permissions I'd need to define, which is why it would be good to test it out on someone first ;) ).

I hope to work on the templates more today, and then maybe we can have a pre-release release party this weekend ;)

Cheers! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I will be a Guinea Pig. :yes: