MechQuest

Do you love Questionable Content? Are you a KOL fanatic? Which are your favorite Facebook games? Which are your favorite RPGs or comic blogs?

Moderator: Unicron

Unicron
Censor
Censor

MechQuest

Post by Unicron »

MechQuest

I recently got back to playing. It's good for those who like sci-fi and blowing stuff up. :D A new planet was added, with some nice mechs to go with it. It has similarities with AdventureQuest and DragonFable, the other games, but I think the MQ engine improved some complaints I've had with the AQ engine.

MechQuest gives you the chance to pilot a humongous mecha and fight to protect the galaxy. Many of the early missions revolve around our war with the Shadowscythe, but there are other side missions available as well. You can generally customize your mechs as you see fit, depending on what you can afford. However, there are certain factors to consider with chassis and weapons:

* Different mech classes all have three things in common: armor, energy, and slots for equipment. Smaller mechs can only carry limited items and are not that energy efficient, which means you have to balance your equipment carefully. If your mech recharges energy too slowly, you can be left without enough to fire during combat, and that means the enemy can get a free (possibly fatal) hit. More advanced mechs have more flexibility.

* Weapons and other add-ons follow the same rule of thumb: a more powerful weapon might deal better damage, but that doesn't help you if it drains your power core a lot and is slow to recharge. Some enemies have a resistance to certain types of weapons, visible in their stats, so that is good to check as well.

As with AQ and DF, MQ has accounts that can be upgraded for a small one-time fee. This is the Star Captain's commission, and gives you full access and better stuff (including your own ship). I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys the game. Star Captains also have somewhat easier access to nova gems, the specialized currency.

I recently acquired a new mech, which I've named the Jade Shadow, as part of the campaign unfolding on Lagos. It's a captured pirate unit, and I've been very pleased with it so far. It seems much of their arsenal is built around weapons designed to deal crippling strikes against an enemy, combined with a surprisingly high level of armor and mobility for such a seemingly thin chassis.

The Jade Shadow carries twin sniper cannons on the arms, which have very precise targeting and can disable or even destroy specific limbs on an enemy mech. The shoulders have twin launchers that fire magnetic bombs, which cling to the enemy and set off a large burst of explosions. It has a unique turbo system which allows it to evade a lot of counterfire and a weapon in the head which drains energy. The targeting system has also been upgraded to give the mech improved accuracy and power. All in all, it's worth between two hundred and three hundred thousand credits right now.

Much of the primary missions take place on our home planet of Lore, but others are added periodically. Lore is home to GEARS University, which is responsible for training mech pilots and offers some nice additional options. Pilots can choose to join one of the three houses, and gain equipment exclusive to that house. Each house is named for a rare treasure it possesses. My main character serves House Wolfblade.

House Wolfblade

Wolfblade provides many of the frontline pilots, and is responsible for training in tactical operations. Its members follow a code of honor and protect the weak from harm, like the knights of old. Wolfblade mechs have decent armor and good firepower, but sometimes suffer in energy efficiency. The house is presently commanded by Star Captain Xaria, and has won the last two GEARS Games against the other houses.

House Runehawk

Runehawk handles exploration and assists in the development of new technologies, as well as integrating ancient ones with current tech. Their mechs tend to favor a more balanced approach to combat, and don't carry as much armor. Star Captain Jaania leads the house.

House Mystraven

Mystraven handles operations requiring more subtlety, including special operations, reconnaissance, infiltration, etc. Their house mechs are designed primarily around a combination of agility and stealth. Strong rivalries exist among all three houses, which Mystraven sometimes exploits when it can. Its commandant, Star Captain Casca, has stated that House Mystraven values pilots as individuals, not as followers of a particular code (Wolfblade) or a high ideal (Runehawk).
:knight:

I move in silence with each step taken, snow falling round me like angels in flight.
Far in the distance is my wish under moonlight.

On my way home, I remember only good days.
On my way home, I remember all the best days.
Unicron
Censor
Censor

Re: MechQuest

Post by Unicron »

As mentioned above, it's good to learn how to balance your mech's equipment and how to create firing solutions that are most damaging and efficient. All weapons have a damage range, which is how much they can do on a given salvo (randomly generated by the computer), and many of them are enhanced to give extra effects. These typically include napalm damage, which burns the enemy for several rounds after the initial salvo; critical hits; stunning effects which may last one or more rounds; and attacks that cripple a given system (which is usually also randomly generated on the opponent, but can be useful nonetheless). If the salvo misses the target, any special effects normally associated with it also fail that turn. Some chassis also have resistance to one or more types of special attacks.

Here are the current game stats for the Jade Shadow:

Armor: 437
Energy: 323
Regeneration: 12 energy per round
Bonuses: Level 23 Rifle Guard chassis has +70 to resist stunning and immobility effects.

Weapons: all bonus effects are randomly chosen

Left/Right Arms: L23 Sniping Musket

42-62 laser damage
35 energy per salvo, 4 round recharge.
Bonuses: Can increase critical hit chance by 50%, or score a perfect shot which disables or destroys a given limb.

Left/Right Shoulders: L23 Clinging Bombs

49-55 explosive damage
35 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge. 4 bombs per salvo which magnetically attach to the enemy and create cascading explosions.

Bonuses: Can cause extra critical hits, and sometimes also napalm damage in the form of internal explosions.

Torso: L23 Turbo system

24-82 damage
35 energy per use, 6 round recharge.
Bonuses: +70 to dodge incoming attacks of all types, making you far harder to hit.

Head: L23 Energy Cannonball

54-58 explosive damage
35 energy per salvo, 5 round recharge.
Bonuses: Will sometimes hijack energy from the target over several rounds, repairing your armor and increasing the damage to the enemy.

I move in silence with each step taken, snow falling round me like angels in flight.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"Internal explosions?" :Ahhh: Do the pilots of the mechas ever get hurt or killed, or does the game just acknowledge mechanical damage?

I love that picture with the star map in the first post, by the way. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

Only mechanical damage. Ejection seats are standard equipment, although the animations usually show the fallen mech becoming toast. :lol: Tek, who runs the local mech shop, must have a nice racket going.

My upgrade came in today (yay!), so my ship is now officially pimped. :D I'll have some pictures up tomorrow. I've also upgraded several of my mechs.

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

Here's my ship, the Venator. She's a Type II transport designed to carry mechs and vehicles into combat zones. It's a good design, and can store 20 mechs and 12 vehicles.

Exterior
A Deck - Bridge (viewscreen)

I'm still waiting on more crew to become available. The pilot (bottom) and navigator (top) share similar stations, and I've added an engineering substation (back) and an ops substation (forward, with two panels). I also stuck my personal suit of Zeus armor there for the moment, a souvenir from the Westion campaign.

B Deck - Lounge

Travel between systems can sometimes take a while, so it's nice to have a place to relax. I like relaxing. :D

C Deck - Tactical

Ensign Lisa Mayes is my only crew for the moment, handling tactical and other operations. She has a tactical substation, and I installed a few other things to improve the decor - the aquarium, comic rack, and dragon hearth.

D Deck - Hangar Bays

This is an older image from when the ships were first released, which I like to use because it has the mech in it. The current version isn't quite as interesting to look at.

Captain's Quarters

Room 1
Room 2

While most of the crew has shared standard cabins, Star Captains get their own private room. I keep some of my commendations above my bed. The portrait in the first room is the leader of our government, Queenadent Odessa Pureheart. She also holds the rank of admiral in the navy.

I've also been testing out a new weapons layout on my House mech, named Thunderbolt. The chassis is the Advanced Nova Wolf, and retains a couple of the default systems. The right arm houses a retractable turret, and the torso can mount a crushing attack. The left arm carries a plasma-based shock cannon that can start electrical fires in an enemy's systems, and the head mounts a machine gun. The left shoulder mounts an advanced missile system, and the right a heavy energy weapon. So far I've been very pleased with this configuration. The Thunderbolt isn't built for the kind of mobility the Jade Shadow is, but it's a nice brawler. I've been able to win some battles against opponents of equal level with only four salvos and very little damage. Some players dislike the ANW chassis for being energy-greedy in some layouts, but this one works pretty well.

Game stats:

Armor: 440
Energy: 315
Regeneration: 14 energy per round
Bonuses: Level 25 Advanced Nova Wolf has +80 to resist stunning and immobility effects.

Left Arm: L21 Wolfblade Shock Cannon

47-57 laser damage
33 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge.
Bonuses: plasma-based bolt can overload target's electrical systems, dealing extra damage in consecutive rounds.

Right Arm: L25 Ultra Turret (default system)

56-60 base ballistic damage, but special can bump it up much higher - mine's typically around 140-150 damage!
38 energy per salvo, 2 round recharge.
Bonuses: Massive Annihilation special gives about double the normal damage, often as a critical hit, and consumes a proportionately doubled amount of energy. Very damaging against enemies.

Left Shoulder: L25 IWR Missile Pod

54-64 explosive damage
38 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge.
Bonuses: Developed for the annual GEARS Games between the houses, can damage target's stabilizers. They gain a -40 penalty on all attacks.

Right Shoulder: L23 Wolfblade Striker Beam

43-67 ballistic damage
35 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge.
Bonuses: Can blind target, giving them a -30 penalty on their attack bonus.

Torso: L25 Obliteration (default system)

48-68 ballistic damage
38 energy per use, 4 round recharge.
Bonuses: +5 each to defense and critical hits, can also stun the enemy for two rounds on a good hit.

Head: L20 Bullet Tooth

42-58 explosive damage
30 energy per salvo, 5 round recharge.
Bonuses: None.

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

Added a new mech to my collection today. This is an improved version of the original Knightron chassis, created exclusively for Founders (those who joined after the game engine was initially released, and purchased the Star Captain upgrade). I haven't modified it yet other than to paint it in Wolfblade colors, but it's not bad. I named it the Grenadier.

Game stats:

Armor: 450
Energy: 380
Bonuses: L25 Knightron AU has +60 to resist stunning and immobility effects.

Weapons: all bonus effects are randomly chosen; all weapons are currently defaults.

Left Arm: Golden Holy Photon Revolver

54-60 laser damage
42 energy per salvo, 1 round recharge.
Bonuses: can reduce target's resistance to immobility and also stun.

Right Arm: Golden Knight Blade

54-60 laser damage
42 energy per salvo, 2 round recharge.
Bonuses: drains enemy HP, healing yours.

Left Shoulder: Golden Light Shaft

50-64 laser damage
42 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge.
Bonuses: base attack is boosted.

Right Shoulder: Golden Light Ray

52-62 laser damage
42 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge.
Bonuses: boosts chance of critical hits.

Torso: Golden Shining Armor

42 energy per use, 6 round recharge.
Bonuses: +50 bonus damage to all weapons.

Head: Golden Gaze

42-72 explosive damage
42 energy per salvo, 5 round recharge.
Bonuses: damages target's gyros, giving their attacks a -40 penalty.

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

Got a couple of new mechs recently. Mainly more captured pirate chassis. First up is the Jade Talon. I've been pretty pleased with this chassis so far, as I wasn't sure it would have the same offensive punch the Jade Shadow has. The shoulders have twin lasers calibrated to deal extra damage, and the head mounts an improved targeting system. The torso has a weapon that "curses" opponents, dealing damage and weakening their aim by 25%. The left arm mounts a throwing cutlass which can increase damage, and the right cutlass is for melee strikes. It has an acidic fluid designed to weaken mech armor.

Game stats:

Armor: 470
Bonuses: L27 Swordsmith chassis has +70 to resist stunning and immobility effects.

Weapons: all bonus effects are randomly chosen; all weapons are currently defaults.

Left Arm: Cutlass Throw

42-62 explosive damage
42 energy per throw, 4 round recharge.
Bonuses: can increase damage during strikes.

Right Arm: Cutlass

42-62 explosive damage
41 energy per strike, 3 round recharge.
Bonuses: has acidic fluid which deals extra damage.

Left Shoulder: Short-Range Laser

49-55 laser damage
41 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge.
Bonuses: extra hits.

Right Shoulder: Short-Range Laser

49-55 laser damage
Bonuses: extra hits.

Torso: Swordsmith's Curse

42-62 damage
41 energy per use, 6 round recharge.
Bonuses: -25 to target's accuracy.

Head: On-The-Spot

41 energy per use, 5 round recharge.
Bonuses: +50 targeting boost for all weapons.

The second new model is called the Anchorman, and has been seen recently on Lagos. It's believed to be a raiding unit. I've modified the left shoulder weapon, but otherwise it carries the default equipment. Mine is named the Battleaxe.

Game stats:

Energy: 369
Bonuses: L27 Medium Anchorman chassis has +70 to resist stunning and immobility effects.

Weapons: all bonus effects are randomly chosen..

Left Arm: Deckhand's Hook

46-66 damage
Bonuses: bonus damage.

Right Arm: Medium Anchor

46-66 damage
Bonuses: stuns target.

Left Shoulder: Vicious Beta Shot

44-58 explosive damage
39 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge.
Bonuses: fires armor-piercing rounds.

Right Shoulder: SRM-2 Launcher

50-62 explosive damage
Bonuses: increased damage.

Torso: Medium Cannonballs

52-60 damage
41 energy per salvo, 5 round recharge.
Bonuses: target's enemy resistance to immobility.

Head: Man O' War

54-58 explosive damage
41 energy per use, 8 round recharge.
Bonuses: Summons a giant jellyfish which damages the enemy.

Finally, the Jade Shadow received an overhaul. I upgraded everything to L27. Revised stats:

Bonuses: Level 27 Marksman chassis has +70 to resist stunning and immobility effects.

Left/Right Arms: L27 Accurate Musket

44-66 laser damage
41 energy per salvo, 4 round recharge.
Bonuses: Can increase critical hit chance by 50%, or score a perfect shot which disables or destroys a given limb.

Left/Right Shoulders: L27 Sticky Bombs

53-59 explosive damage
41 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge. 4 bombs per salvo which magnetically attach to the enemy and create cascading explosions.

Bonuses: Can cause extra critical hits, and sometimes also napalm damage in the form of internal explosions.

Torso: L27 Turbo system

28-86 damage
41 energy per use, 6 round recharge.
Bonuses: +70 to dodge incoming attacks of all types, making you far harder to hit.

Head: L27 Large Energy Cannonball

59-63 explosive damage
41 energy per salvo, 5 round recharge.
Bonuses: Will sometimes hijack energy from the target over several rounds, repairing your armor and increasing the damage to the enemy.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Jade Talon is even more invisible than Jade Shadow. :D And that weapon on Battleaxe is creepy; it looks like a cross between a light saber and a scythe. :Ahhh:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

The JT's more of a slugger than the JS is. The Anchorman's weapon is really just sort of a big hook, though I suppose they could have patterned it after the energy blades. Those tend to have a lightsaberesque look to them.

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

Well, I'm back online finally with a new laptop. :D My old PC finally died, and I had to go nearly a month offline. :p I'm glad I got back to the game in time for the monthly special, the awesome Warbear mecha. It will cease being available at the end of the month, and thus become a rare mecha. Mine is named Kimagure (Japanese for capricious) and hasn't really been modified much aside from being painted in house colors. I'm quite pleased with it so far.

Armor: 423
Energy: 360
Regeneration: 12 energy per round
Bonuses: +70 to resist stunning and immobility effects.

Head: Mind of the Warbear XL

51-55 explosive damage
43 energy per salvo, 5 round recharge.
Bonuses: Increases damage and accuracy, the latter by +10 per round.

Left Arm: Ursa Fist XL

51-55 standard damage
43 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge.

A traditional long range heavy laser.

Right Arm: Jackhammer XL

43-63 standard damage

A devastating close range burst of rapid pulses.

Left/Right Shoulders: Warbear Mercenary XL

47-59 explosive damage

In place of more traditional shoulder weapons, the Warbear can launch a pair of remote controlled drones equipped with a single heavy autocannon. They fire about four-five shots and retreat. Each shot deals around 30-40 damage, so even a single drone can cause quite a bit of pain.

Right Leg: War Kick XL

49-57 critical damage
43 energy per salvo, 4 round recharge.

The kicking attack is a unique feature, and it always deals critical damage to a foe. :D

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I like the drones. :thumbsup: And those are definitely weird feet. :D

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

Would you believe they're animated and wiggle?

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Heh. I'd love to see that. :veryhappy:

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

The war on Lagos has officially concluded now, with the planet in possession of the Arthurian Empire. I'm saving up to add several new mecha to my collection, though they're expensive (275k apiece). In the meantime, I've been testing the new monthly rare, the Aegis series. Mine is named Centurion.

One of the major problems we've faced in the war with the Shadowscythe has been overwhelming numbers which left large numbers of our mecha damaged or destroyed. With that in mind, the Aegis is geared primarily for defensive tactics rather than offensive ones. It's about a third less energy efficient than the Warbear, which is my only minor complaint, and this can leave it low on power in extended fights. However, its leeching weapons can somewhat make for that problem by crippling the enemy's power plant long enough to sap a little armor with the arm weapons.

Armor: 455
Energy: 420
Bonuses: +70 to resist stunning and immobility effects.

Torso: Mithril Turbo Smash

53-61 standard damage
50 energy, 4 round recharge.

This charging strike will trigger the mech's computer system. It can create a reflective shield that deflects a small amount of damage (a design based on Drakel mecha) and also lower the enemy's damage up to 75% over a series of turns.

Head: Mithril Sensor Disrupter

55-59 explosive damage
50 energy per salvo, 5 round recharge.

This special attack is designed to overload the opponent's energy grid, potentially causing it to completely shut down within five rounds. It remains inactive for about the same length, and the enemy will be powerless to do anything during that time.

Left Arm: Mithril Transfer Beam

55-59 standard damage
50 energy per salvo, 3 round recharge.

This functions like the Slam attack, in a different form. It can restore a small portion of your health.

Right Arm: Mithril Aegis Slam

47-67 standard damage

The melee shield helps to drain health from the enemy and use it to rebuild your armor.

Left/Right Shoulders: Mithril High-Watt Laser

51-63 laser/explosive damage

These advanced lasers can cause a heat buildup in the opponent's energy core, causing damage similar to an internal ammo explosion.

GEARS University has also released a new class, Advanced Combat Theory, designed to teach pilots how to adapt to battles against enemies with a technological edge. It's one of the more grueling challenges, but successful completion will unlock special house equipment as a reward.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Is that the Melee Shield on his right arm?