Tutorial: How to make a successful post on Nussey Mag - V. 1

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Tutorial: How to make a successful post on Nussey Mag - V. 1

Post by Renie »

The purpose of this tutorial is to show a regular writer of Nussey Magazine how to make a successful post on Nussey Mag in the category of their choice.

DISCLAIMER: As time goes on and the mechanics of the Mag become a bit more refined, I'll edit this tutorial and update the version number. The content of this tutorial should be generally sufficient to service the Alpha version of Nussey Mag.

NOTE: You must be invited to be a regular writer of Nussey Magazine. If you are interested, please PM the username NM Editors.

1. Log in to the Dashboard: http://nusseymagazine.com/blog2/wp-admin/

2. Click "Add new" under "Posts" in the left-hand sidebar.

3. Write your post. Tutorials on how to write Wordpress posts, adding media and so forth, can be found on the Wordpress.org website.

4. Write a 1-3 sentence excerpt that will show up when your posts are featured on the main pages.

5. Choose the proper categories for your post. This is the most important step. First, choose the general category that best fits your post. Then, you have several options. If you would like to feature your post as a Lead Story on the front page (please use this option sparingly), choose the "Lead Story" category. If you would like to feature your article on the front page right column, select the "Featured articles" category.

6. Choose the proper images for your post. This is the second most important step. Scroll down to the Custom Fields box below your post edit box. You will need to add thumbnails for many categories. I'll explain how to do so presently.

Thumbnail categories

These are the categories which will need thumbnails: (note: this list is currently incomplete)

Short fiction
Serials
Featured Fiction & Poetry
Poetry
Opinion
Featured General Media
Movies
Music
Videos
Research
Innovation
Editorials
Featured articles

Here's the working thumbs album link: http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/ ... mview=grid

To add the thumb to your post (which is smaller than it appears in the photo album, that's why it's pixellated), on the post editing page, scroll down to the center box below the post edit box titled "Custom fields."

Choose "3-column-image" from the dropdown box under "Add new custom field." Paste the direct link to the thumb image of your choice from the photo gallery in the input box directly to the right of the dropdown box. Then click the "Add custom field" button on the bottom left of the custom field box.

Featured and main page articles - thumbs

For some categories, you will need to add more custom image fields.

For the category "Featured articles," you will need to add the custom image field "featuredarticleimage." Paste the thumbnail link in the "Value" box for this custom field. You might very well have more than one custom image field with the same thumbnail -- that's okay! You need to paste the thumbnail link for each custom field, but the thumbnail image can be the same for different fields.

For the following categories, you will need to add the custom image field "rightcolimage," with thumbnail link:

Featured Media
Featured Poetry & Fiction
Contests
News
Featured Nonfiction

Lead story

The lead story is the only article that gets a differently-sized image (not a thumbnail). If you plan on posting a lead story, you will need to have this image ready! I suggest you get a Photobucket or Flickr account if you don't have one already.

The custom field for the "Lead story" category is "leadimage". The largest dimension of the lead image must be no greater than 250 px, and no less than 200 px. Paste a link to the right sized image in the "Value" box of the "leadimage" custom field, and then add that custom field.

7. Congratulations! You're at the point where you can Preview and then Publish your post. After you publish your post, please go to the page on which it's featured to see if the image is shown correctly. If not, please edit the post right away to fix it.

Post any questions you might have about this tutorial in this thread. Happy posting! :coffee: :lol:
:canadian: :james: :wiggle:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Tutorial: How to make a successful post on Nussey Mag - V. 1

Post by RJDiogenes »

Nice tutorial. I just turned my Short Story into a Featured Article. :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Ooo, looks sharp! ;)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Thank you. :) I should make individual thumbnails for each one of my Posts....
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Gaaaaaak! I hate it when I feel stupid!

I registered on wordpress (under my REAL name!) :D
Got to Dashboard.
In left hand column, can see Profile and Tools.

Can't see Posts.

Am I in the right place?

Bear with me - old dog, new tricks.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think you need to log in at Nussey Magazine, probably here. That's what I have Bookmarked for the log in, anyway; hopefully yours is the same.

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Hmm, I did log in. I assumed, from the description, it should be here:

Yes/no? Where am I? Who am I???
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think Renie probably has to increase your permissions. You're in the right place, but there should be more options in the sidebar.

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Whoops, my bad!

I registered under my REAL name. When I logged in as Australis with the ED password, there I was. Updated profile. The left hand column is significantly different.

So all is well. Just my noobishness! :thumbsup:
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Nothing wrong with noobishness. :D

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

I posted successfully, but I can't access the thumbnail gallery linked in this thread. It required me to log into Renie's photobucket account, I think. :wtf: SO, for now, my post is without thumbnail. If I can fix this later, let me know. :)
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think Renie might have changed the Password to Photobucket; I couldn't get in last time, either.

But that reminds me that I want to make some a couple of custom Thumbnails for my stuff....

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Whoops. I have no idea what happened with the photobucket thing, it should be public. That's odd. I'll take a look at it and let you know when it's working again, grrr!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's working for me now. :yes:

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Still telling me I need to log in to the account. :mellow: ( tried loging into my photobucket account, then accessing it, but it still didn't work.)
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008