Our Town

For reviews of any plays, or musicals, operas, etc. Also a place for those who themselves are performers. YouTube videos are encouraged!!

Moderator: Sean

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Our Town

Post by Sean »

Penned by the prolific American playwright Thornton Wilder, Our Town is a heartwarming story about life, and how we need to take advantage of every day we have here on Earth, because in the "big picture", it's really not that much time at all.

The play focuses on the relationships between the inhabitants of a small town in New Hampshire, called Grover's Corners. While the main focus is the budding romance, and eventual marriage of George Gibbs and Emily Webb, the interactions between their parents, siblings, and even every day townspeople like Howie, the milkman, share the spotlight. The play is unique in that it often breaks the fourth wall of performance. The story is narrated by the "stage manager", who also steps into the bodies of several smaller characters throughout the show, and the stage crew are an integral part of the performance, actually having roles (as the stage crew, of course). Actors interact with the audience, and there are cast members spread out throughout the house to interact with those on stage. There is very little set, and almost no props. In most performances, simple ladders, arches, and mock stair cases fill in for windows, doors, and well...stairs. Locations that are often seen, like the Gibbs' and Webbs' kitchens, for example, have only a table, and chairs to identify them as such, and actors play their own gravestones later on in the play (I wouldn't want to spoil anything though...). Most of the interactions between actors and the "set" are pantomimed. So, in reality, you're not going to the theater to see a play pretending to be real life. When, you go to see this show, you're going to see a play about real life, if that makes any sense.

I'd recommend seeing this show if it comes to a theater near you. It's a good wholesome rendition of simpler times, and is sure to provoke a nice mix of tears and laughter from its viewers.
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Our Town

Post by RJDiogenes »

A very avant garde approach for the time; I'd love to see this performed at my local theater. It definitely sounds evocative of country life in the Depression Era, something I've written about myself (though with quite a different approach); but the style sounds like experimental theater of the 60s.

It also reminds me of this song, which was in the series finale of Northern Exposure. Very sad song. :mellow:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Hmm, it takes place in the early 1900's, and the latest time given was just before WWI . I'd certainly like to be able to watch it. Being in it is one thing, but being able to watch it is a different experience entirely. :yes: It was written in the 30's, I believe, so it could reflect some of the general mood of the GD era.
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

Sean wrote:
I'd recommend seeing this show if it comes to a theater near you. It's a good wholesome rendition of simpler times, and is sure to provoke a nice mix of tears and laughter from its viewers.
I saw a high-school production of it once, years ago. One of my brothers was in the cast.
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^That's where I've seen it. I was a member of the cast as well. ;)

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ah, I remembered that it was written in the 30s, so I thought it took place in the 30s. So it's all before World War One? I'd definitely love to see that....
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape: