New Animal Discoveries!

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: New Animal Discoveries!

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, this is amazing. I never would have anticipated a cold-blooded Mammal. This presents some interesting ideas about Evolution and Exobiology; it certainly could have SF applications.

I've never heard the idea that Crocodiles may have had warm-blooded ancestors. I don't see how that can be, considering how ancient they are.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Well it goes back to the idea of warm-blooded dinosaurs. Some have suggested that dinosaurs inherited their warm-bloodedness from the Thecodonts, which makes sense as it's very likely that pterosaurs were endothermic as well. So if birds, dinosaurs, pterosaurs, and probably other Archosaurs were warm-blooded why aren't crocodiles?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Interesting. I don't think I was aware that Crocs descended from Thecodonts. But not all Dinosaurs were warm-blooded, either. However, a little quick research divulges that reptiles diverged into two lineages in the Permian, one leading to Dinos and Crocs, the other leading to all other existing reptiles. So it is an interesting question....
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I think starlings are getting annoyed with us...

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... -the-bird/
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

:veryhappy:

Now I know Hollywood is going to remake The Birds, just to include that scene. :(

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Not exactly animals but microbes....

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... aterfalls/

It's interesting about the water being "incredibly salty" since there evidence that the former oceans of Mars were quite salty. It kind of ups the odds for something being able to survive there.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Rusty and salty; yeah, that's good news for the Martians. :saucer:

Also interesting is that they may use sulfur in place of oxygen. That's almost as exotic as using silicon instead of carbon. It really does give hope for finding alien life in strange places. B)

mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

I think it's not so much that they use sulfur compounds that's new--there are bacteria living around sea-floor thermal vents which do that--it's that there are no sulfides present as a by-product of sulfate reduction. Also, the ferric ions figure into it in some weird way they don't fully understand.
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Weird is good. Maybe they crawled out of one of those Martian meteorites and colonized. :D

mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

"Take me to your microbe!"
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"Ehhh, what's up, Doc?"

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Just curious: Is it known for sure yet whether there is any life on Mars? If not, how many more years will it take to get a definitive answer? I'd like to know before i die!!!
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^So would I.
But at the moment there are tantalizing hints, but nothing anyone's willing to take to the bank. The most recent evidence involves methane plumes that turn up during the spring on Mars's north and south hemispheres. It has been suggested that these plumes occur as melting of the permafrost causes some kind of life to come out of hibernation. There are still come questions about the results of the Viking lander's experiments with a few claiming that the tests did in fact detect life.
But more exploring with be necessary before we get an answer we can be sure of.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, there's evidence, but nothing definitive. Also encouraging is research done on Terrestrial extremophiles in the past few years, showing that it's very possible for Martian life forms that evolved in a more benign environment to survive a large-scale environmental collapse.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Leap'n lizards!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100406/sc_ ... nce_lizard

Who know what else might be lurking out there....