The Place to Check In

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
jgc
Senator
Senator

The Place to Check In

Post by jgc »

New check in thread! :D
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Re: The Place to Check In

Post by Sean »

Evening everyone! Just got back from Star Trek...my 5th, and probably final viewing before the DVD comes out. Now I'm currently reconnecting with an old friend on Facebook. She moved away when we were in grade 6. (she was actually the first girl I "asked out"...as well as an 11 year old can do that :thumbsup: ) Damn...I feel old now. :mellow:

:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Heh. What's that, 5th Grade? Asking somebody out then was, "Er, we're going bowling, wanna come?" :D

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I love this New Thread smell. They should make New Thread Smell Air Fresheners for cars. :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Morning.

Damn. they should outlaw alarm clocks. :yawn:

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Imagine by John Lennon

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Passin' thru.

Sean, sorry to hear about your troubles, living with a not entirely mentally well person is very ery tazing, on energy, patience, and the heart. You're off to college soon, yes? That might help.

As for spiders, I couldn't stand them. But Wife having a soft spot for living creatures, I had to bring 'em back alive. We're talking about an Aussie spider called a huntsman, non-poisonous (though they can apparently nip) that can get up to six inches across, though the biggest I've had to deal with would be four inches. Which meant capturing them in a container that I can see through (glass or similar) then slide a piece of cardboard under it. Then outside into the garden and dump the thing in a tree where there's lot of insects.

I used to be scared of the damn things. But then one night when I was trying to catch one, it jumped off the wall and ran down my damn arm. Completely freaked me out, I danced around the room going "Waaahh! Waaahhhh!" trying to brush it off as it leapt off me again and scurried out on the verandah and away. After that... it all seemed easier.

A phobia is a different thing, though. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had to do that with a phobia.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

At 1pm tomorrow, I will be on vacation! :veryhappy:

As for spiders, they don't bother me. My mother was always terrified of them, and as long as I can remember, I have had to kill them for her. Now centipedes is a different story. I had one on my desk at work last Thursday. I swear I am a magnet for them.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^Yeah...spiders and I don't mesh well. I've gotten to the point that I can finally kill them myself (with an airgun, of course), but if there's one near me, crawling...ugh...although, there has been one about 4 feet from the computer desk in a web underneath the door of a cabinet that I've left alone. He's not bothering me. As long as he's consistently there, in his web, where I can see him, and out of my way, we're fine. australis, if one that big crawled on me, I swear I'd have a heart attack. See, the spindly little ones, similar to Daddy long legs don't bother me much. It's the ones with fatter end sections, multiple colors, and greater size. Thankfully we don't have any near that big up here. :eek:

Morning gang. I have to tackle my bedroom today... :unsure: I know for a fact there are a few clusters of webs behind boxes which will have to be destroyed. :mellow: Then there's the whole cleaning part. Did I mention I hate cleaning without a purpose?
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all! :hello:

The other day I got a call from a creditor claiming I owed some money for some blood test a couple of years ago. But I emailed the lab and this morning they got back to me saying that I don't owe anything. So the next time the creditor calls I can tell them "bite me".
australis wrote: I used to be scared of the damn things. But then one night when I was trying to catch one, it jumped off the wall and ran down my damn arm. Completely freaked me out, I danced around the room going "Waaahh! Waaahhhh!" trying to brush it off as it leapt off me again and scurried out on the verandah and away. After that... it all seemed easier.
That reminds me of one summer in my youth. The family was all sitting outside on lawn chairs, the type with arms. As I was sitting I was feeling under the rim of the arm and I kept feeling this soft lump. Couldn't figure out what it was so I looked under.

It was a black widow.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ AhhhHHHhhhHHH!! :afraid:

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

My spider story: When I was about eight years old, living in Dorchester, I was playing with a bunch of neighborhood kids across the street in my Grandmother's backyard. The area is hilly, so the back porch on the house is about ten feet in the air and open underneath. We were all running around, playing something, and I ran under the porch, in one end and out the other. But just as I ran out, I saw that the whole opening at the end of the porch was one massive spider web, with a spider the size of a half dollar in it. Of course, it was too late to stop, so I went right through, the web was all over me, the spider was crawling on me, and I was freaking out. :Ahhh:

So for many years, I had arachnophobia. I think I was well into my thirties when I finally talked myself out of it by telling myself that I was hurting their feelings by being afraid of them. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^I've just never liked them... :mellow:

Evening everyone. I just spent 5 hours going through boxes in an effort to clean my room. Yeah...I made a significant dent, but I doubt it'll be done by the deadline tomorrow.:rolleyes:

I found a shit load of old papers that I saved...project and worksheets all the way back to fifth grade. I kept the important ones, but I decided to put the rest in a bag to fuel a bonfire I plan on having soon. :yes: I even found a few ridiculous old poems that I might post in the writing forum. :D

Have a nice night everyone. I need to photocopy a bunch of music before my lesson tomorrow.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Yeah, definitely keep your old Poems and stuff. There's a bunch of stories and cartoons I remember from Grade School that have been lost that I really wish I still had.

Good morning, all. :hello:

It's Friday, at last! :bounce:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Morning everyone.

Looks like I forgot to check in last night and miss out on the spider conversation. Just as well. I don't do spiders. :mellow:

Hope you all have a nice Friday. :yes:
Imagine by John Lennon

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning, everyone!

Something tells me this is going to be a long day at work. I can't wait to start my vacation.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

I should take some pics of the big spiders around here, do some posting! :D
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I could do the same. We have so many here, though I don't seem to see the real exotic ones I used to. Once saw this black widow that seemed to have red and white stripes on her back. And another that was dark brown.

Not much happening here today other than a lot of smoke in the air from the fire to the west of us. Air quality is quite abysmal today naturally.