Blogging

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Blogging

Post by scottydog »

What blogs do you follow? Do you write your own blog? Please share here!

At the risk of engaging in shameless self-promotion, I have started a new blog that offers a commentary on today's heroes. The blog is meant to inform, and also to promote my book on heroes that will come out this Fall. Please feel free to visit my blog and comment on our posts! Each post profiles a specific hero. I'd love to read your thoughts and reactions.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Blogging

Post by Lupine »

^I was wondering how that book was coming. I remember you mentioning it before the Apocalypse. I just took a gander at your blog and it looks pretty good and quite readable.
As for blogs I follow, there's only four I follow with any regularity. http://www.badastronomy.com/ is one and http://johnhawks.net/weblog is another. http://skepchick.org/blog/ is generally amusing and I peak into http://www.skepticalscience.com/ every so often.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^Thanks for those suggestions! I will definitely check them out. Especially the bad astronomy one since I'm interested in bad astronomy. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I'm glad to hear your book is coming out relatively soon; any idea when it will be available for pre-order on Amazon? Heroism is a topic of great interest to me, so I'll be interested in reading this.

As for me, I don't really follow any Blogs at the moment; I just don't seem to have the time....
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Just added the Heroes site to my fav list.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:Just added the Heroes site to my fav list.
Woohoo! Thanks, Lupine. RJ, the book comes out in October. Our publisher says that the publishing industry is in such a slump that we shouldn't expect to sell many copies. Apparently, no one buys books anymore :eek: If that's so, how does Barnes & Noble stay in business??
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I know. The last few reject slips I got even complained about the economy.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Apparently, when the economy slumps, people will give up their books before they give up their Wii. Not too surprising to me in this age of growing illiteracy. The sales figures on fiction magazines seriously depress me. But I can guarantee you'll sell at least one copy, Scotty. :)
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Thanks! Part of the problem in the publishing industry is that they apparently are still struggling to develop a successful business model in this age of the internet. People don't want to pay for information, whether it's an online newspaper, magazine, or book. How can the folks who deliver this information make a living?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Tell me about it. It's amazing how many people think they are entitled to another person's property just because it's easy to get. :(

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Rather like what the music industry is going through.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Probably moreso, since most people have a greater desire for Music than Literature. :no:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I just added a post about St. Patrick's Day to my blog. Seems like people just use the day as yet another excuse to get drunk -- but I sure didn't say that in my post. :lol:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

The story of St. Patrick has fascinated me, not so much for the heroic or religious contexts, but for the historical. An odd bit of trivia about St. Patrick (which as far as I know no author has ever touched on) is that he and Merlin, if the legends are to be believed, were contemporaries. Patrick was born about the time of Vortigern's rule. And it was Vortigern that inadvertently raised Merlin to prominence. Yet in modern times, while Merlin is still revered to some extent, it is St. Patrick that gets a holiday and is generally regarded as an actual historic figure.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

But Merlin gets all the movies. :mellow: