Spring Cleaning-Feedback and Suggestions Thread

Your opinion is important to us. Please continue to hold. Just kidding: Post your brainstorms here.

Moderator: Sean

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Spring Cleaning-Feedback and Suggestions Thread

Post by Sean »

To help Elmo keep track of any of the suggestions we may have to make this place better, I've started this thread (that way we're not clogging up the Announcement thread)

We discussed it a while back...maybe more than a year ago, but I think that some sort of Quick Reply box would be nice. I think that phpBB offers some sort of add on that supports one. Not that it's too much effort to go to the post reply page, but if I'm only typing in a few words...especially if I'm somewhere where the connection is slow or on a mobile device, a quick replay box is always nice to have.

Also, Elmo, the Mods and Admins list is a bit...out dated. Half the people bio-ed and listed aren't even members anymore. :(
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Re: Spring Cleaning-Feedback and Suggestions Thread

Post by Renie »

Hi Sean,

That's cool, thanks for creating the thread.

Yes, the Mods & Admins page DEFINITELY needs updating. All mods and admins that want me to use pictures different from your avs for your images, please PM them to me. Also, I'll need bios from mods and admins not on the page, and for those who are and want theirs updated. If you have websites and/or books and/or other notables, please include the links for everything.

There are definitely a few add-ons that I'm going to be getting to after the book is finished. I partially updated the board today (the database), and I need to update the files manually since we have custom themes here, so that'll take a weekend at some point. Version 3.0.6 (we're on version 3.0.4) has a quick-reply box. I'm hoping to get some of these things done in early June, before I leave for the NKS Summer School (which takes me away for three weeks in the summer). After the board is updated, we can get some MODs installed.
:canadian: :james: :wiggle:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think reviving the Writing Contest is a good idea. As is advertising it on FaceBook (and LJ etc). We might be able to bring back some of our lost lambs like blab and AstroSmurf and some other writers like DanTheGray and Dangermouse. And perhaps even lure some newbies.

To that end, I'm reminded of something Lupy and I had talked about: A ReNext email address that potential joiners could use to alert us of their presence. We're getting in the vicinity of a hundred Bots a day now, and it's nearly impossible to sift through them. Not that I'm terribly worried we're losing anybody at this point, but if we start plugging ourselves on FaceBook and such, it would be good to be prepared.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

RJ, I would definitely like to brainstorm about getting a writing contest going again. I agree, I think it could bring back some ole reliables, but it's really fun and a great exercise for us writers, too!

As for the bots, I just went into the admin panel and made the CAPTCHA harder to decipher. Hopefully this will help on some of them. Let me know, I can make it even harder. You shouldn't have to deal with all that spam! Gack. :Ahhh: :loopy:
:canadian: :james: :wiggle:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

I think I'll just use my av for the Mose and admin page...it's not like I change it often anyway. I'll shoot a bio off to you tomorrow if I have a chance.
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I'll see if I can dig up a usable photo. I think I have one around that I did for Nussey Magazine.
Elmo Dukat wrote:RJ, I would definitely like to brainstorm about getting a writing contest going again. I agree, I think it could bring back some ole reliables, but it's really fun and a great exercise for us writers, too!
Yeah, but we need more people. I think at our height we had about eight regular participants.
As for the bots, I just went into the admin panel and made the CAPTCHA harder to decipher. Hopefully this will help on some of them. Let me know, I can make it even harder. You shouldn't have to deal with all that spam! Gack. :Ahhh: :loopy:
It worked! It seems to have cut the Bot volume down by about a third. :thumbsup:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Would you like actual photos of us Elmo, or just av-like photos? I will happily provide either. :)

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Maybe they don't even have to be photos:

:veryhappy:

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

RJDiogenes wrote:Maybe they don't even have to be photos:

:veryhappy:
Good point.

mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

Do we really want blinky stuff? :Ahhh: I just opened the Miscellaneous forum and on the first page alone (25 threads) the icons for thirteen threads are blinking. There are threads which have not had a new post for more than a year and now inexplicably have blinky icons. :( :pout: :selfhate: Does anyone seriously think this is a good idea? I thought all of those old do-it-yourself GeoCities and AngelFire websites had put the lie to that long ago. :warn:
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Now, see - I never noticed it until you mentioned it. Maybe you're getting a migraine and that's why it's bothering you?
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I didn't notice either. I'm not even sure what the blinking means. :conf:

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^I don't know what the symbols mean either...perhaps the blinky things are like Fight Club. And you all know the first rule of Fight Club is that we don't talk about Fight Club. So maybe we're not supposed to notice the symbols... :loopy:

mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

I'm pretty sure we did have that turned on once before, two or three years ago, and the blinking had been disabled due to its being visually annoying. Either that, or I usually don't notice and was just especially irritable yesterday morning.
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

^ That was another thought of mine.... :P
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh: