Check-in: 15 and counting...

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
jgc
Senator
Senator

Re: Check-in: 15 and counting...

Post by jgc »

Good morning everyone. Happy 4th!!!

We were up before the sun this morning. Just barely, but never te less, the sun wasn't up yet. There was no shooting of race goers as I'm still on my first cup of coffee. And well, I don't have a gun. but I have a baseball bat!!!

It's going to be hot today. If I were smart, I'd throw some clothes on and go out and start weeding the front right now. But I never claimed to be smart. Just lazy.

I'm going to go get more :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: , so I can try to stay awake today.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

I have no idea why I am up after having only 5 hours of sleep. A nap may be in order this afternoon. I have nothing special planned for today, othan than visiting with my friends here and going to see fireworks. I can't believe how fast this weekend is flying by!

RJ, no it wasn't deliberate. He's 68, but acts and looks like he is 88. He just needs someone to constantly look after him; sort of always been that way. He's lost without his wife.

I don't know if you guys remember, but he is the one we were messing with last year, and had his wife convinced their camper was haunted. This weekend, one of the guys put a disposable blue plastic drinking cups on the eye of his satellite dish, in hopes his tv wouldn't work. We sat there Friday night watching him from across the road, waiting for him to go inside, turn on the tv, and come out to call one of the guys to see why his tv won't work. It didn't block the signal. :( Anyways, when I was there last night, he told me he has been trying to figure out "what the hell that blue thing is" on his dish. I did my best Academy Award performance by not laughing and pretending I was trying to figure out what it was by looking out the window. Long story short, he thinks it is an old eye from someone else's dish, and he is going to drive around the park today to see who stole his. :guffaw: The he told me he thinks it is the campground busy body who camps across the road from him, and he does not like her. While he was asleep, we switch it with a red cup. :lol:
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^ :lol:

RJ, I don't think he's a replacement for me...he was apparently hired over 2 weeks ago. But it's still disconcerting. Perhaps he just wants enough guys on staff that he has the ability to give us off when we need it. Who knows...I may look around for other jobs...may not. I'd at least like to stay the summer. It is good money.

Since my afternoon and evening will be spent in that aforementioned small room with no windows...my 4th of July celebration consists of eating a chicken finger sub, and watching America: The Story of Us until I go into work.

Happy Independence day everyone!

:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Happy 4th of July all, though I have nothing special planned at all.
Madeliaette wrote:
44 kbps down to 36 or so kbps
i recall dial-up - we had a speed of 48-52k's.... not so fast, but sounds better than your du! i had du for 6 years.... but when i came to england i found i could get broadband and phone line rental for the same price as phne line rental in au - so decided not to stick with dial up but go braod!
I wish I could go broad. But the only thing looking like high speed around here costs four times what I'm currently paying.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:In other news I confirmed a suspicion I've had since my new DirecTV receiver arrived: it's slowing my internet connection down. It was never fast, after all I have is dialup. But I noticed that it had gone from an average of 44 kbps down to 36 or so kbps. So to be sure before this session I unhooked the phoneline from my receiver and suddenly I'm back at 44. Weird.
It figures there had to be a catch. :( But I don't understand how this is happening-- how does the DirecTV receiver interact with the phone line?
Well the phone line is attached for billing purposes for things like pay-per-view and I imagine other things are kept track of. I don't understand why this happens either, though it is more of an annoyance than anything. Maybe I'll go to their website and ask.
Cayla wrote:Her husband is at his camper for the weekend. I went to visit him after dinner. When I walked up to the camper, I was sure his propane tank was leaking. Then I walked into his camper. It was an instant headache. He had a knob on his stove turned on, all the windows closed, as he had his air conditioner running, and he didn't even notice it. He was also sitting there smoking a cigarette! He was complaining he was dizzy all day. He's lucky he didn't gas himself or blow himself up! The man needs someone to look after him
:eek: Yikes. Not the kind of fireworks we want to see. With all the grief these people are having, I hope this wasn't really deliberate. :unsure:
That's what I was afraid of.
Cayla wrote: RJ, no it wasn't deliberate. He's 68, but acts and looks like he is 88. He just needs someone to constantly look after him; sort of always been that way. He's lost without his wife.
Well it's good that it wasn't deliberate, but still unnerving.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I hope everyone is having a nice holiday. I'm having a nice, quiet day off. :yes:
jgc wrote:There was no shooting of race goers as I'm still on my first cup of coffee. And well, I don't have a gun. but I have a baseball bat!!!
I'm glad there were no murders. :D How did they do?
Cayla wrote:RJ, no it wasn't deliberate. He's 68, but acts and looks like he is 88. He just needs someone to constantly look after him; sort of always been that way. He's lost without his wife.
Poor guy. :(
I don't know if you guys remember, but he is the one we were messing with last year, and had his wife convinced their camper was haunted.

Oh, yeah. :D
While he was asleep, we switch it with a red cup. :lol:
You're going to drive him insane. :loopy:
Sean wrote:RJ, I don't think he's a replacement for me...he was apparently hired over 2 weeks ago. But it's still disconcerting. Perhaps he just wants enough guys on staff that he has the ability to give us off when we need it.
Yeah, that's true. He may realize that he screwed up, even though he won't admit it, and he's going to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Lupine wrote:Well the phone line is attached for billing purposes for things like pay-per-view and I imagine other things are kept track of. I don't understand why this happens either, though it is more of an annoyance than anything. Maybe I'll go to their website and ask.
Yeah, maybe there are settings you can adjust or something. Seems weird that the new one is more of a drain than the old one. I'll bet it has something to do with why they offered it to you.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good afternoon!

I'm currently taking a break from the heat, so I thought I would check in for a minute.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Work today was rather boring., Made $8 in tips...hardly did any shoes. Turns out the club closes early on the 4th...no one bothered to tell me though. I was prepared to close at 8 like usual...thankfully the clean-up guy let me know before he set the alarm, and the kindly waited for me to clean up and leave. Communication people! :wtf:

But, now I'm out...doubt I'll go anywhere to watch fireworks. May sit out and watch them...maybe someone will call me up and ask me to tag along with them. doubtful though. Thankfully I can see a bit from the backyard. :yes:

Have a good evening everyone!

"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Jesus Christ! One of my friends from school got a hold of me through Facebook and asked if was bad to take too many painkillers. I figured he took one or two too many tylenol or something. No. He had a migraine,so he took 5 extra strength Excedrin...4 Ibuprofen, and 2 or 3 aspirin. What the hell? This kid is one of the smartest people I know...but he has no common sense what so ever. He has a habit of drinking to cope with stress...and apparently he had some friends over last night...so the reason he had a migraine was no mystery. But seriously? 10 or 11 different pain pills? I told him to call a doctor...he should be vomiting a good deal pretty soon...and I checked with dad just to be safe. As a nurse, he knows this stuff better than I do. He told me exactly what I told him to do. Good to know I know my way around medicine a bit...or at least I have an ounce of common sense. It boggles the mind...I know him well enough to know that this was an accident, and not an attempt to get high or kill himself. Which leaves pure stupidity. :wtf: I know he'll be fine, the doctor will either have in to have his stomach pumped, or he'll be told to stay home and vomit. At least in his migraine fueled haze he didn't grab something more potent. Not that 11 pinkillers isn't potent enough!

Sometimes I marvel at how we as a species have survived this long.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

RJDiogenes wrote:
jgc wrote:There was no shooting of race goers as I'm still on my first cup of coffee. And well, I don't have a gun. but I have a baseball bat!!!
I'm glad there were no murders. :D How did they do?
They did alright. It was a 4 miler held at York, ME. They finished in just over 30 minutes, which is pretty good when you're a 57 year old man pushing a wheelchair with a 35 year old man in it. :yes:

I was even awake and dressed when they got home. :D

Did I mention that this is their 20th year of doing this? I must have.

Well, we had a very lazy day. Dad came over, we cooked burgers on the grill, turned on the baseball game and all took naps. :lol:

It got pretty hot today and the rest of the week is supposed to be hotter...... :mellow:
Imagine by John Lennon

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

costs four times what I'm currently paying.
exactly why i didnt switch whilst in AU!
I tend to wonder how much longer we will last, myself... there seems to be more and more steps away from living naturally and if we lose touch with what keeps us alive - nature - then what will we become? :conf:
anyways, i am still very much at the :coffee: stage....planning a day of chores and vistiing dad...
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Madeliaette wrote:[
I tend to wonder how much longer we will last, myself... there seems to be more and more steps away from living naturally and if we lose touch with what keeps us alive - nature - then what will we become? :conf:
A society riddled with diseases. I really believe this us why there are so many people with health issues which were not heard of 30 years ago. Also, I believe this is why there are so many kids now with Autism or ADHD.

Sean, that definitely was not smart of your friend to take all those pills. Aspirin and Ibuprofen are not to be mixed. He may have to have his stomache pumped.

Where did the weekend go? I almost hate to go to sleep, because then it means long anticipated camping weekend will be done. But I am tired.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Well, my mom and I took him into the urgent care center any way, just to be sure. They did, in fact, pump his stomach. He's feeling better now, thankfully...and after 3 hours waiting in a waiting room...I'm ready for bed. :yawn:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Wow, that was scary. Definitely kind of stupid of him, but that kind of pain can drive people to desperation. He should talk to a doctor about how to handle migraines.

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Another whole day off. :yes:
jgc wrote:They did alright. It was a 4 miler held at York, ME. They finished in just over 30 minutes, which is pretty good when you're a 57 year old man pushing a wheelchair with a 35 year old man in it. :yes:
That's great. :)
Did I mention that this is their 20th year of doing this? I must have.
Yes, indeed.
Madeliaette wrote:planning a day of chores and vistiing dad...
I hope he's doing better today.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Quick check in.

I should already be dressed and getting Dennis' things packed up, but I'm still working on my second cup of coffee. Looks like we won't get on the road to his place at nine like I wanted......

I believe I'll still be able to avoid the majority of the "going home" traffic anyway.

Have a great day!!
Imagine by John Lennon

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

It's time to pack up and go home. I'm taking all the bedding home, so I have six loads of laundry to look forward to this afternoon.

Sean, it was nice of you and your mom to take your friend tot he urgent care center. I'm glad he is okay.