Check-in: 15 and counting...

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-in: 15 and counting...

Post by Madeliaette »

i just called the hospital - he is still upset - but realizes i am going to visit later today. They still cannot tell me when he is likely to be released - so i might have to get him to write another check so i can use the one he signed monday for fares to visit him and then he will have another one to be able to cash out for him so he has cash when he gets out... :Ahhh: but i should hear within the next day or two if i am granted the carers allowance - if i am i should have about 150 in backpay and can loan him cash til he gets to the store/bank again anyway...i have listed down a whole bunch of people to let him know they have phoined and are wishing him well - he is a popular old dude!!!
opali
Augur
Augur

Post by opali »

^^^He's been in the hospital now a long time, hasn't he? Has it been a week? He will probably be so glad to get home again.

Pleasant Friday everyone! :hello:
jgc wrote:Damn. Isn't this the wrong time of year to have a mouse in the house?
No fun. I think they are really active in the summer since they're looking to fatten up; he may be looking for an easy meal. We had mice in the old farmhouse I lived in growing up. One got into my Easter basket once and my Mom felt bad and reloaded me double what I had before. Woohoo! :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I was shocked the Hamilton Beach coffee pot only lasted a little over a year. My parents' refrigerator (70's dingy yellow color) is still going and they have had it, seriously, for easily over 20 years.
My apartment came with a refrigerator that dated back to the 70s, and it would probably still be here if I hadn't stabbed it to death with a screwdriver. :(
Hmmm, my curiosity is piqued. Were you defending yourself? :jedi: :P

What is it with these appliances lasting such a long time? Are they made with cheaper parts now or is it some kind of conspiracy?

Today I am going to try to get out and get rid of some of the ivy in the yard. We have spotted some snakes and I get worried about bites with my kids playing outdoors so much. I love the ivy, it's beautiful, but it is really aggressive!
"Grown-ups, of course, won't believe you."
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Good morning!

hm. Don't know why this little guy came in. But since he's in and not out, his life is now forfeit - if Tipper can find him again! He's had it twice now and it's gotten away. No, M, no especially tasty mouse snacks hanging around, and I live next to a huge field! I think Dennis will be sleeping on the couch this weekend instead of the Aerobed! :lol:

Time for more :coffee: .
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

I was too sleepy to post earlier. I am currently counting down until the end of my work day. 3 hours and 13 minutes and 4 more patients to go, as long as no one else calls with a dental emergency. :veryhappy:
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

:yawn:
Nothing of note happening around here.
opali wrote: What is it with these appliances lasting such a long time? Are they made with cheaper parts now or is it some kind of conspiracy?
Yes and yes.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

So, upon talking to my friend who is currently at his college orientation...I've realized that the next 4+ years are going to be a hell of a lot harder than I thought they were. To even major in Music Ed, to become a teacher, at the school I eventually want to transfer to...and possibly the school I'm scheduled to go to now, you have to audition. Which means you have to be really good...Buff State, I'm sure I could get into with no problem. Fredonia...harder. The only thing I could even fathom auditioning with is voice. But I don't want to go into performance at all. It's too much of a sport. I really gotta figure things out...I mean, I already have to learn music theory and piano over the summer basically. I'll have to call up the college and see what they say.

This quote by Randy Pausch comes to mind...
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
I guess I have a few brick walls to knock down then. I'm 99% sure I want this...to become a music teacher. I just feel it in my bones, like it's what I have to do.

Oy vey...at least I have a little while to sort things out.

:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

Lupine wrote:
opali wrote: What is it with these appliances lasting such a long time? Are they made with cheaper parts now or is it some kind of conspiracy?
Yes and yes.
See also: Planned obsolescence
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

He's been in the hospital now a long time, hasn't he? Has it been a week? He will probably be so glad to get home again.
Yes he went in last wednesday night so he has been in 9 days now - i was so glad to find him happy when i appeared today. according to the nurses he was saying it is 3 o clock and i should be there for 3-4 hours!!! anyway he seems a lopt happier now i have chatted with him for over an hour - and he wrote another check - so i can afford to go in every other day until he gets out hopefully. (PHEW!) only his wound has not stopped leaking, so it wont be just yet that he comes home to familiarity.
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Checking in. Went and got Dennis this morning. Didn't get home til about 2:30. The traffic was starting to pick up and slowed us down. We haven't done much else since then. I did a little neatening up on one of my trees and that's about it.

Dennis has his own laptop now so we got that set up for him to use while he's here.

No more staying u til midnight and then getting up at six for me. Headache city.

Glad you could cheer up your father, M.
Imagine by John Lennon

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

Ahhhh, long weekend. :feelinggood:
opali wrote:Hmmm, my curiosity is piqued. Were you defending yourself? :jedi: :P
I was defrosting. I got impatient. It's been five years and I still feel bad. :(
Sean wrote:Oy vey...at least I have a little while to sort things out.
Plenty of time. You also have the option of changing your mind or making things up as you go along. My opinion is that life is better when it's lived more than it's planned. I also know that you will do well whatever you decide to do. :thumbsup:
Madeliaette wrote:Yes he went in last wednesday night so he has been in 9 days now - i was so glad to find him happy when i appeared today. according to the nurses he was saying it is 3 o clock and i should be there for 3-4 hours!!! anyway he seems a lopt happier now i have chatted with him for over an hour - and he wrote another check - so i can afford to go in every other day until he gets out hopefully. (PHEW!) only his wound has not stopped leaking, so it wont be just yet that he comes home to familiarity.
That's too bad, but I'm glad to hear that he's happier. Can't they let him go home and have VNA check on his wound?
jgc wrote:Dennis has his own laptop now so we got that set up for him to use while he's here.
Awesome. He can join ReNext now. :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Love that Randy Pausch quote, Sean!
RJDiogenes wrote:
scottydog wrote:I'm in Louisville one more day visiting a good friend and colleagues, with whom I'm collaborating on my next major project.
Another book?
Yes, a book on the fine line between normal and abnormal behavior. More on that later!

I hope all of you are doing well. Just thinking about Randy Pausch, along with my mom with Alzheimer's disease, has me putting things in perspective. Today I'm going to appreciate life and not sweat the small stuff. :)
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

scottydog wrote:

... along with my mom with Alzheimer's disease ...
Scott, my heart goes out to you. I know. I've been there.
Imagine by John Lennon

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

scottydog wrote:
I hope all of you are doing well. Just thinking about Randy Pausch, along with my mom with Alzheimer's disease, has me putting things in perspective. Today I'm going to appreciate life and not sweat the small stuff. :)
Yeah...I wish I could have met that man. Seems like such a down to earth guy, especially faced with what he went through. I have his book...love it to death. Actually, I loaned it to a friend...and I honestly think she'd have more use for it in her life than I do right now. I'll just buy another copy sometime down the road. :yes: But thinking about my future today...that came to mind. And while I do have plenty of time to decide things...I want the security of knowing that I have at least some semblance of a plan, and that I'll be happy in life. The fact that while I'm a musician...I'm no where near where I need to be to survive in most college music programs is just one more brick wall that I need to jump over. At this point, it's not so much an obstacle as a sign giving me the middle finger. I'm not on that particular path at the moment...but I'm at the point where I need to decide soon. Because knowing me...if I don't get a head start on it, and figure things out now, I'll put them off, and never get back to them. I know I want to teach...and I know I love music. It's a part of me, and I really want to be able to help others make it a part of their lives. But I've spent the past few years going in the wrong direction. Instead of loading up on Music Theory classes, I've buried my nose in History...which was all fine and dandy because up until a few months ago, I wanted to be a history teacher. And I still do. I really love it. And aside from the childhood education classes, I could probably teach it right now. There are very few theories I still need to grasp...sure, more specifics and dates and events to learn, but I know a great deal about it. My knowledge of music is more limited. I know enough to be a proficient musician, and I was gifted with a...better than average voice to boot. But I don't have a grasp around more than the fundamentals of what I need to know in order to teach it. And I've always told myself "I don't want to know that much detail about music, because then it won't be my hobby any more. I won't be able to get lost in it." I wish I were still saying that now...because things would be so much simpler. Up until recently, there was no choice. I was happy with majoring in history. Now...I honestly don't know. I have a TON of work ahead of me if I choose music...but I just feel deep down that it may, just may be worth it.

Other than that prolonged venting, I went to another grad party today. Realized that my avenues of possible relationships...are more plentiful than I thought. Oh brother...mor choices. Great. ;)

:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

Glad you could cheer up your father, M.
It did not last long.... i got another call at 8pm and he was saying that i had not been in to visit hiom at all and that he had been waiting all day - he was all messed up again. I am wondering if maybe he gets an evening medication that makes him feel worse - or just gets very tired and that makes things worse. I will go in and sort things out again this afternoon -...
Can't they let him go home and have VNA check on his wound?
I could tend his dressing myself - even nif they didnt let him have a daily nurse - but they wont let him go yet anyways. the only problem i can see is getting him up the staris to his bedroom. once he was there - the bathroom and toilet are on the same level and i could see to the rest of his needs until he was able to tackle the stairs regularly... but they want him in still at the mo - with the wound leaking, not yet on solids again he has to have a nasal drip and tubes still as well. i might nag them on monday though, as that will be the ten days post op that they assigned him.
a book on the fine line between normal and abnormal behavior.
sounds interesting!!
I've buried my nose in History
Sean - from what i gather (from 2 friends) the history of music is a large part of a uni course in music - so maybe you would not do so badly? But yes, a summer study course on theory would be goo to if you really want to go for music... With your choral work, you would have a starter point, I would think.
Realized that my avenues of possible relationships...are more plentiful than I thought.
:thumbsup: go get yourself a good one then!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:
scottydog wrote:Yes, a book on the fine line between normal and abnormal behavior. More on that later!
Ah! So you're here for research then? :loopy: :veryhappy:
Sean wrote:Oh brother...mor choices. Great. ;)
Maybe you should study cloning. :D
Madeliaette wrote:It did not last long.... i got another call at 8pm and he was saying that i had not been in to visit hiom at all and that he had been waiting all day - he was all messed up again. I am wondering if maybe he gets an evening medication that makes him feel worse - or just gets very tired and that makes things worse. I will go in and sort things out again this afternoon -...
Yeah, I would definitely talk to them about that. His meds may be affecting his short-term memory or distorting his sense of time. :(
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape: