Check-in: 15 and counting...

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Re: Check-in: 15 and counting...

Post by Sean »

Why anyone would get up at this hour willingly is beyond me... :yawn:

:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
opali
Augur
Augur

Post by opali »

Good Morning

I can't get over how lovely it is here right now. It's as if nature realized we were ushered into summer too fast and has graced us with a temporary gust of spring. Low humidity, cool at night and only 80's in the daytime... :yes:

I don't have a lot planned for us today. We are debating what to do tomorrow...there are tons of events around, everything from old-fashioned celebrations to pow wows with drums to the fancy fair-like stuff at the Fairgrounds. Half the clan want to stay home and just go watch the fireworks and the other half want a day full of fun. None of us are up for sitting through the old-fashioned's reading of the entire Decleration of Independence, though. :lol: I know that sounds unpatriotic but that goes on for three and a half hours!

This is one of those days I get kind of sad my family is all 2000 miles away. :( A weekend bbq with family sounds really nice. *sigh*
"Grown-ups, of course, won't believe you."
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

I'll air mail my family to you, if you'd like. :yes:

It's been wonderfully lovely here the past few days too. Nice and breezy, high 70's, and nice and cool at night. The stars last night...my gosh! They were beautiful. I was at a grad party out in "the country"...really only a few miles away from my house, but much more rural, and it was wonderful. You had a clear, unobstructed view of the sky, and there was next to no light pollution, so you could see everything clearly. It's the type of night you just want to snuggle with someone outside on a blanket. :yes:

Tonight looks to be the same. Have another party at the same place...now I just need to survive work! I haven't seen my boss since...that whole thing last week. Kinda nervous as to what will happen. He's not going to fire me, that much I know, as I'm still scheduled for the next few weeks...but he may yell. That man has a temper. :(

It's only a few hours though...and thankfully he usually leaves by noon...I should be out by 2ish, hopefully.

"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all!
Since tomorrow is a Sunday my town will doing their fireworks tonight. I probably won't go to town to see them, but town is only three miles off so I'll watch them from my porch. Quite special this year. Due to money crunches the town hasn't had fireworks in years. Hope they're good.
RJDiogenes wrote:
opali wrote:Hmmm, my curiosity is piqued. Were you defending yourself? :jedi: :P
I was defrosting. I got impatient. It's been five years and I still feel bad. :(
Thanks for the warning. I took a hatchet to mine once. :Ahhh:
RJDiogenes wrote:
scottydog wrote:Yes, a book on the fine line between normal and abnormal behavior. More on that later!
Ah! So you're here for research then? :loopy: :veryhappy:
I'm hoping the book will be about us. :silly:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

:lol: :veryhappy:

No, my next book won't be about any of you, sorry folks! :)

Thanks for the kind words about my mom, jgc. Sometimes when I'm with her I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Sometimes I do both! So what is the great saying -- carpe diem?

I'm going to lunch today with a good friend who's going through a tough time. I hope all of you are have a groovy weekend. :)
mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

Lupine wrote:
RJDiogenes wrote:
opali wrote:Hmmm, my curiosity is piqued. Were you defending yourself? :jedi: :P
I was defrosting. I got impatient. It's been five years and I still feel bad. :(
Thanks for the warning. I took a hatchet to mine once. :Ahhh:
Needs Bernard Herrmann "shower scene" music.
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

wow so much going on for us all...

ironically enough, the day i find out i am awarded carers allowance for looking after dad (only paid WHEN he is at home and i AM) is the day i hear it may be weeks rather than days before he comes home.... :no:
apparently he is medically fit enough in a few days - but not physically. if he was well enough to handle the stairs ONCE i could care for him with loaned comode/walking frame at home.... but he is exhuasted after a few steps and it takes 2 nurses to stand him up still... they are considering sending him to the recuperartio9n hospital after all and he is trying to be brave about it - if he is moved there, i can visit daily as it is about 50 mins walk away from home - but i klnow how bad he wants to get home and if it were not for our stairs, i know i could do the rest for him.

I know the guy across the street from us has alzheimers - but not too bad as yet. His wife is coping ok at the mo....but he keeps wandering off to the shop,and forgetting what he went to buy or wondering where she is when she has gone shopping for him... that sort of thing at the moment....
hope it didnt go too badly, Sean - at least you are understanding he MAY scream --- exopecting it... better to be prepared than not...
at least you have something to celebrate - in some way, Opali... even if its only the weather being more to your preference!
Why anyone would get up at this hour willingly is beyond me...
your time says 2-45am...um yes, maybe a tad early for some. i used to get up at 12-3aM when i lived in aussie though - as i kept californian hours then. here, i have to keep dad's hours - which are basically 4am thru 8-9pm. (he gets more naps than me, tho :sleep: !!)
Yeah, I would definitely talk to them about that.
I did talk about it but apparently he only gets med when he needs them re pain... so it must just be environment, out of routine, and worry.... that's why i want him back home asap - so he can LIVE and recuperate... rather than jump between repair and damage.... but then again, i couldnt 'carry' him to the loo, they are right...
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good afternoon, everyone. :hello:

My Niece is having a great time at her Theater Camp. It's held by the Company Theater, the place I get Season Tickets to every year, and it turns out that her favorite instructor is one of our favorite actors. It's great to see her get so excited about creative pursuits.
opali wrote:None of us are up for sitting through the old-fashioned's reading of the entire Decleration of Independence, though. :lol: I know that sounds unpatriotic but that goes on for three and a half hours!
I always spend much of Independence Day reading about Revolutionary and Colonial days, but that seems a bit much. It's a nice idea, though, as that's exactly what happened in the days following the 4th; copies were circulated and read in town squares throughout the Colonies. B)
Lupine wrote:I'm hoping the book will be about us. :silly:
Hmm. I wonder who could play me in the movie. :grape:
Madeliaette wrote:ironically enough, the day i find out i am awarded carers allowance for looking after dad (only paid WHEN he is at home and i AM) is the day i hear it may be weeks rather than days before he comes home.... :no:
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. At least he will be closer when they send him to Rehab, so that's one good thing. I wish he could go home, though; it's so much more comfortable and restful when you're at home.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Maddy, I posted at around 6:45 Buffalo Time. Or...EST, I think. I was still up at 2:45. :lol:

After working a 6 hour shift, and then spending 3 hours at a grad party...I'm exhausted. And I'm working 2-8 tomorrow...yuck. Boss didn't yell at me though...just...didn't talk much to me. Oh well. Could be worse. It appears he's hired a new kid though...I have a feeling he's a replacement for someone... :mellow:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Looks like I forgot to check in this morning. :no:

So, checking in. My son is out at a friend's house and won't be home til 9 or so. I just finished the grocery shopping. I'm hot!

Dennis and his running partner have a race tomorrow morning - "4 On The Fourth". Mark is picking him up at 6 a.m. There's a possibility I'll shoot them both.

Dad will be over tomorrow (it's Sunday after all) and we'll cook burgers on the grill and try to stay sort of cool. Too bad my brother won't be here. I'd make him cook. :P

My city is having their fireworks tonight. If those trees over there weren't in the way, I'd be able to see everything from here.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

i seem to be awake and sipping a cold beer at 2-30... ho hum... :sing: the luxury of being at home alone, :veryhappy: I had some sleep then woke up with mild sinus and decided as its sat-sun i should get up with a beer then coffee for 1-2 hours before a re-crash and lie in. i have a few gardening chores i promised to do for dad - planting out his runner bean and lettuce seedlings and making a start on trimming the BIG back yard hedge - but otherwise only have to call the hospital and check up on him/bake the weekly batch of bread for the birds today.
I have a feeling he's a replacement for someone...
awwwwwwwww :no:
If those trees over there weren't in the way,
i had that problem when they built the new block of flats - i USED to be able to view the city fireworks display from my old bedroom back in aussie..... then this block of flats sprouted up!
At least he will be closer when they send him to Rehab, so that's one good thing. I wish he could go home, though; it's so much more comfortable and restful when you're at home.
yeah, in Zach. (the hopsital in which i was born) i could get in to see Dad daily - as it is walkable. but as you say - home is better. Dad does fret so when he isnt in control and is out of routine/home... (all i need to get him home is someway to magically get him from the front door to his bedroom - then i could handle the day-to-day care and extras like cooking/medication supervision/nursing.)
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Our day-early 4th of July fireworks were pretty good this year. Actually I think they were a little better that when we were having them regularly. Good show. I how they can manage to do them again next year.
In other news I confirmed a suspicion I've had since my new DirecTV receiver arrived: it's slowing my internet connection down. It was never fast, after all I have is dialup. But I noticed that it had gone from an average of 44 kbps down to 36 or so kbps. So to be sure before this session I unhooked the phoneline from my receiver and suddenly I'm back at 44. Weird.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Since it is after midnight where I am...Happy Fourth of July!

I wasn't online today because I was busy. After breakfast, we went to the Amish farm, where I am fast becoming friends with the woman who lives there. My visits there are get longer and longer each time we go to pick up our orders. Then we went to the grocery store and to my favorite hardware store. When we returned, we decided to finally stain the deck. After dinner, we spent the time fishing, sitting by the fire, and watching the NASCAR race. I also finally made the first pitcher of margaritas of the camping season this evening. I've had about 1/3 of a bottle of tequila.

My friend without a hip has been in the hospital for a week. She had two surgeries to clean out the infection. We have been trying to talk her into going back to the nursing home to complete her physical therapy, so she can get a hip put in. She wants to go home, but the last time she went home early, all she did was lay in bed, and became worse. I believe if we all keep putting pressure on her to do as she is supposed to do, she will.

Her husband is at his camper for the weekend. I went to visit him after dinner. When I walked up to the camper, I was sure his propane tank was leaking. Then I walked into his camper. It was an instant headache. He had a knob on his stove turned on, all the windows closed, as he had his air conditioner running, and he didn't even notice it. He was also sitting there smoking a cigarette! He was complaining he was dizzy all day. He's lucky he didn't gas himself or blow himself up! The man needs someone to look after him
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

44 kbps down to 36 or so kbps
i recall dial-up - we had a speed of 48-52k's.... not so fast, but sounds better than your du! i had du for 6 years.... but when i came to england i found i could get broadband and phone line rental for the same price as phne line rental in au - so decided not to stick with dial up but go braod!
first pitcher of margaritas of the camping season
yum! :D
She wants to go home, but
i have a similar problem with dad. i know that if he did come home, i could encourage him to do chair yoga (or bed yoga in his case) and take care of him food/nursing/etc wise - but I am worried that he would try to do to much too soon and over do it and have to go back to hopsital. (If he got bored in bed he would nag to go sit downstairs - then he might spot the sunshine and nag to go ni the yard. then he would see a job and nag to do it....) He did say something about putting me in charge of his catering - i assume he wants me to either act dietician or cook when he gets out... maybe both. Hopefully it will mean he eats more sensibly and only pigs yummy snacks now and then rather than at most meals!

anyways, i have a lazy day ahead - i have transplanted his lettuce and beans for him in the poly tunnel - so i only have a bit of cooking and to phone the hopsital today and can tkae it easy and have a breather....hopefully.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Happy Fourth of July. :bounce:
Sean wrote:Boss didn't yell at me though...just...didn't talk much to me. Oh well. Could be worse. It appears he's hired a new kid though...I have a feeling he's a replacement for someone... :mellow:
That's a shame. But it doesn't sound like this guy is too reliable or trustworthy anyway; maybe it would be better to have another job (also with better hours).
jgc wrote:My city is having their fireworks tonight. If those trees over there weren't in the way, I'd be able to see everything from here.
There were some fireworks last night, but I think the big ones will be tonight.
Lupine wrote:In other news I confirmed a suspicion I've had since my new DirecTV receiver arrived: it's slowing my internet connection down. It was never fast, after all I have is dialup. But I noticed that it had gone from an average of 44 kbps down to 36 or so kbps. So to be sure before this session I unhooked the phoneline from my receiver and suddenly I'm back at 44. Weird.
It figures there had to be a catch. :( But I don't understand how this is happening-- how does the DirecTV receiver interact with the phone line?
Cayla wrote:Her husband is at his camper for the weekend. I went to visit him after dinner. When I walked up to the camper, I was sure his propane tank was leaking. Then I walked into his camper. It was an instant headache. He had a knob on his stove turned on, all the windows closed, as he had his air conditioner running, and he didn't even notice it. He was also sitting there smoking a cigarette! He was complaining he was dizzy all day. He's lucky he didn't gas himself or blow himself up! The man needs someone to look after him
:eek: Yikes. Not the kind of fireworks we want to see. With all the grief these people are having, I hope this wasn't really deliberate. :unsure:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape: