E-books and readers

For Writers and Readers. Share your stories and poems, or discuss your favorite books in this Forum.

Moderator: Lupine

Unicron
Censor
Censor

E-books and readers

Post by Unicron »

Does anyone regularly use Nooks/Kindles and download books? I've heard a lot of discussion about this evolution, but I'm lazy and old-fashioned. :p :D Some people really seem to like them and others aren't as sold at the moment.
:knight:

I move in silence with each step taken, snow falling round me like angels in flight.
Far in the distance is my wish under moonlight.

On my way home, I remember only good days.
On my way home, I remember all the best days.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: E-books and readers

Post by Lupine »

I don't have one- though I would like to. But you can download an App for your computer so you can download books (some written by me and RJ ;) ) and read them on your computer.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, I have the App for my PC but not the Kindle. My Sister has a Nook and she loves it. I've heard a lot of people say that they're reading more, because of the convenience, which is good to hear. I'd really love to have one. I'm certainly a lover of old-fashioned books and love having them around, but it's really the stories (or poems or whatever) that's important. Plus, I have a ton of old Pulp magazines and stories in PDF format and having a Kindle would make it a lot more convenient to read them.

Also, there are a ton of free books available and others are much lower cost than physical books (those aforementioned books by Lupy and myself are quite reasonably priced B) ).
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

That's something I've been wondering about. Are a lot of the currently available electronic versions more economical than dead tree versions, and how likely am I to run into availability issues? I can certainly see a lot of potential advantages with an e-reader, the single biggest one probably being portability. Now that I have a laptop instead of a desktop, that's one thing I've come to enjoy. :D
:knight:

I move in silence with each step taken, snow falling round me like angels in flight.
Far in the distance is my wish under moonlight.

On my way home, I remember only good days.
On my way home, I remember all the best days.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, anything in the public domain is definitely more economical, because you can find it for free. Books currently in print probably are, but I haven't compared them.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Late to the party, as usual.

I have a Nook and love it. As I have a wireless network in my house, I can down load books right here. Although, I don't think you have to have a wireless network at home to download from your pc.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

No, you don't need it for the Nook (although I've heard that you need wireless to register a Kindle, which is kind of stupid). I've downloaded a couple of books using the wireless at my Mother's house, just to prove that it can be done, but mostly I've downloaded to the Nook app on my PC and then synced with the device.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

^ add me to that bunch - there are 11 of my books available as e-books, though i dont personally read e-books, only REAL ones!! :yes:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I prefer real books, but I have to say that e-books have given me access to many, many books that I would have had no chance of reading otherwise. I have tons of old stories from the 19th century and early 20th century that are pretty much unavailable otherwise (and that I would have needed a warehouse to keep if they were).