What are your favorite musicals?

For reviews of any plays, or musicals, operas, etc. Also a place for those who themselves are performers. YouTube videos are encouraged!!

Moderator: Sean

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

What are your favorite musicals?

Post by Renie »

Mine are:

1. The Phantom of the Opera
2. Jesus Christ Superstar
3. Evita
4. The Wiz

(heh, can you tell I'm a big Andrew Lloyd Webber fan?)
:canadian: :james: :wiggle:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Re: What are your favorite musicals?

Post by Sean »

Oliver Twist, Oklahoma!, and Stomp. I don't know if the last one is classified as a musical, as there isn't any actuall tonal music. Just percussion rhythym.
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

I liked Stomp! I think it could classify as a musical. Rhythm is an important part of musical. Since there was no speaking though, would it technically have been a Rhythm Opera? Hey, I think we just discovered a new genre!!
:canadian: :james: :wiggle:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

By far, my favorite is Jesus Christ, Superstar. I discovered it among my Uncle Mike's 8-track collection around 1971 and I was hooked. Not only does it use a wonderful and amazing variety of music, but the lyrics are absolutely brilliant. That album had almost as much influence on my poetry writing as the Simon & Garfunkel albums did. :yes:

I also loved the movie The Music Man when I was a kid. And the Muppet version of The Frog Prince-- that counts, right? ;)
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Let's see...

The King and I
Oklahoma
Carousel
The Rainmaker
(with Burt Lancaster and Katherine Hepburn)

There are tons others because my mother brought me up listening to musicals on the record player!
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

Off the top of my head:

The Music Man
Camelot
My Fair Lady
Two Gentlemen of Verona
Hair
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

The Music Man is among my favorites too, along with Oklahoma, and Bye Bye Birdie. Mainly because I have performed in all three, but I still think they're good musicals. Pippin is also pretty good, but it's been a while since I have seen it.
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Good lord! How could I have forgotten Camelot????
Imagine by John Lennon

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Let it never be forgot! :warn:

How could I forget Hair? I love that almost as much as Jesus Christ, Superstar. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

I like Les Miserables and quite a few Cirque du Soleil shows.
:knight:

I move in silence with each step taken, snow falling round me like angels in flight.
Far in the distance is my wish under moonlight.

On my way home, I remember only good days.
On my way home, I remember all the best days.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

I've only seen the movie version of Les Mis, so I can't comment on the play. I should get around to seeing it sometime. Maybe if it ever comes to Shea's...

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Oh yes, My Fair Lady.

OK, just about anything by Lerner and Lowe or Rogers and Hammerstein.

When I was in high school, during the summer, we had the Summer Music Theater. Young actors and actresses from New York would come and spend the summer. There was a different show every week. And I got to go every week because I ushered. I'd try to name them all off, but it was about 40 years ago (God, it hurt to type that...)
Imagine by John Lennon

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Off the top of my head, the only one I could think of at the moment is The Phantom of the Opera. I saw that one in Toronto ten years ago.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I also forgot The Rocky Horror Picture Show. My local theater did that a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. :yes:

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

As of this weekend, Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorites. Although, I must say, I'm a bit biased. It has to be performed by my school's thespians. :D