Science Tidbits 3

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Science Tidbits 3

Post by RJDiogenes »

A perfect example of too many cooks spoiling the soup. NASA, Congress, the military. So we ended up with a ship that (while amazing) did nothing very well. And now we have nothing at all. Letting the private sector develop vehicles is the smartest thing they've done in a long time.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Lord_Plecostomus »

RJDiogenes wrote:A perfect example of too many cooks spoiling the soup. NASA, Congress, the military. So we ended up with a ship that (while amazing) did nothing very well. And now we have nothing at all. Letting the private sector develop vehicles is the smartest thing they've done in a long time.
Lupine wrote:One of the books I have details the early days of the Shuttle design. It indicated that NASA budget cuts also took their toll on the program.
The shuttles did some amazing things, don't get me wrong. But they were based on the best technology the 1970s could apply to a design first put forward in the 1960s. By the time it was ready the basic design was actually decades behind. Thanks to the way the government works though NASA was locked into this one program and could not develop/deploy anything else.

It quickly became too expensive to build too. Columbia was actually a Static Test Module, was never intended to fly. Atlantis, Discovery and Challenger were the production units and once the last was built the tooling was largely set aside -- NASA wanted 16 of them but in the end never got more than four.

Well that's all behind us now, with the new lower-cost technologies and commercial-space-programs we are in for some interesting times!
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I certainly hope so. I think private space technology is in the same place where home computing was in the early 80s-- at some point in the next couple of decades it will reach a critical threshold and take off. It's too bad Heinlein didn't live to see it.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Looks like some really old planets have been discovered. Interesting as these are a bit smaller and Earth as well.
There's also talk of the Fermi Paradox and while aliens haven't visited Earth yet. Personally I don't we have enough data right now to even contemplate the idea, as fun as it might be. There are really too many variables at work with environment, evolution, and even the psychology of alien life to really give a guess on what is happening.
But it will be fun to find out.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think the answer to the Fermi Paradox is a combination of the odds-- life is very common, multicellular life is much rarer, and intelligence is much rarer than that-- and the immense distances between stars-- the cost in resources, no matter the economy used by the aliens, would be huge (plus the commitment in time-- whether you use a generation ship or engineer your people to be long lived, it's going to take a long time).

These little old planets are fascinating, though. I wonder what they're made of. As he says, the universe had a lot less heavy material back in those days. Of course, there is also the possibility that these planets formed later, when the star passed through a younger nebula or something.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's a nice effect. The "pictures around corners" effect is even more amazing. It won't be long before we see that in a James Bond movie. :D

In other news, Hubble scientists have discovered a Loopy Galaxy. I like the sound of that. :loopy: :D

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:That's a nice effect. The "pictures around corners" effect is even more amazing. It won't be long before we see that in a James Bond movie. :D
I'm certain we'll see it in some movie pretty soon.
In other news, Hubble scientists have discovered a Loopy Galaxy. I like the sound of that. :loopy: :D
Imagine what the night skies on worlds in that galaxy look like. :eek:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, I often wonder what the sky must look like on other planets. Like that solar system with the three Earth-sized planets all squeezed into the habitable zone, and years only a few months long. Must be very cool.

My Exoplanet app finally notified me of the solar system with the five ancient planets. They're slowing down.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

An interesting article on Space.com about what might happen after we find life beyond Earth.
The author is right that it will likely be a drawn-out process, short of aliens landing at the White House. Even when evidence of life is found on Mars or Europa it will possible that we will be distantly related to them. The one thing I wonder about in the event we find truly alien life, is that it could be intelligent and we may not realize it at first. It's unsettling to think about the blunders we might make if we're not careful. :unsure:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's going to be an extremely interesting book.

It will very likely be a drawn-out process, that is true. And there are so many ways that we could find evidence of life. And most of them would be denied by the same people who deny evolution and the benefits of vaccination. Fossils on Mars or elsewhere in the Solar System would be denied. Evidence of oxygen on an exoplanet would be denied. A transmission from a technological civilization would be denied (and would probably take forever to translate anyway). Even among rational people, there would likely be a difference of opinion, simply on the basis of extraordinary claims needing extraordinary proof. As it is, there is not-inconsiderable evidence of past or present life on Mars-- but I don't accept it as definitive as yet. I sometimes wonder what I would accept-- there is likely always going to be some measure of doubt, unless we find some actual wriggling bit of protoplasm or an incontrovertible email from the stars. I do, however, believe that the evidence will quickly escalate over the next decade or so.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

We're getting some updates on Ceres!
At first glance it doesn't look like a particularly interesting world. But if BA is correct there might be a lot of water there.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ah, at last! That's a great picture already; I can't wait to see the close-ups. Looks like Dawn reaches orbit a week from tomorrow. :D While I'd like to think that the shiny spots are the remains of a crashed spaceship, it does seem to prove that Ceres is a big sponge. It might end up being a good target for a colony.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

More coolness from Ceres!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It seems to have a few fairly bright spots on it. He's probably right that they represent exposed ice. But it's weird how that really bright spot just seems to appear in the middle of the animation rather than rotate into view-- it does rotate out of view.