The Mars Thread

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: The Mars Thread

Post by Lupine »

^Impossible to say. Keep in mind though that any Martian microbes will be adapted for an anaerobic environment and they might not be able to live in our atmosphere.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Right. Just like the AIDS virus can only live in people and not be transmitted through the air. Which is actually not as comforting written down as it was in my head.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And we have video of the landing! :rocket:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I got to see some of that at lunchtime today. :D Absolutely amazing. A continuous video almost from orbit, or at least the top of the atmosphere, all the way to the surface. That's a video I'll watch a million times. :lol:

And I loved watching the heat shield drop away like the Coyote. :lol: I was so sorry that it drifted out of frame before it hit the ground. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And Curiosity is still making discoveries, with evidence that Mars went through cycles of wet and dry periods.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, that's very interesting. So life had well over a billion years to arrive and evolve. It took a lot longer than that for multicellular life to appear on Earth, but the single-celled guys would still be able to adapt. In fact, the alternating eras of wetness and dryness would provide a lot of incentive for evolution. This is pretty encouraging.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

They'll find evidence of egg-laying babes any day now. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Then we'll see a Space Race. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And we have liftoff!
:helicopter:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, I was just reading about that at lunch. The best part is how they landed it on the table in the middle of Mission Control. :D

I'm really relieved that it actually worked and worked so well. That's some really complex engineering that went into that thing and I figured it had a better than even chance of failure.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Looks like there's been another glitch for the Martian Chopper. But it's had three successful test flights, so I would still consider it amazingly successful even if it doesn't get to fly again. There's still a good chance that they'll get it off the ground, though.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I forgot to mention: China now has a lander on Mars. :cn: :male_sign:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Oh, yeahhh, I heard that and then I forgot to look into it. Good quality pictures there (although I wonder how many people are confused by that curved horizon). And more radar to search for ice deposits.

I also forgot to post that the Mars Chopper did finally make another flight.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Apparently it's been following the rover along as it moves.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:38 pm
Good quality pictures there (although I wonder how many people are confused by that curved horizon).
Probably alot. You should read the comments Space.com gets on their Facebook page. You'll feel like bashing your head against your keyboard.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:55 pm
^Apparently it's been following the rover along as it moves.
Awww. :sweetlove:
Probably alot. You should read the comments Space.com gets on their Facebook page. You'll feel like bashing your head against your keyboard.
This is why I try to refrain from reading comments. :no: