Tibet

Gather ye activists! What is your cause? Are you a Progressive? Are you a devoted ally to anti-privilege? Are you a feminist? Are you an anti-feminist? Are you a dedicated fighter for the rights of X group? Talk about your activism, and the issues surrounding it, here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Tibet

Post by Madeliaette »

10dec.jpg
10dec.jpg (8.87 KiB) Viewed 6761 times
It is no secret to peeps who know me at such places as Tumblr, Facebook, etc, that I am involved in spreading the word regarding the situation in Tibet. (The international news channels fail to cover the story sufficiently, IMHO) As today is a combo of special days - human rights day, solidarity with Tibet day, anniversary of HHDL's nobel peace prize...., i thought i would start up a thread here, too.... for anyone interested to discuss/inform/comment.

This video link tells the recent story in brief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjFBg8m ... e=youtu.be

& this is my video - sent to the PM today
@number10gov https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgeZ6dC ... -A&index=1

& this is the call of a Tibetan singer...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-g-q_3n0Cc
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Tibet

Post by RJDiogenes »

That video tells the story, all right. There are exploitable resources in Tibet that the Chinese want, so they're not going to let it go easily. And they are too strong militarily and too important economically for anyone to force them out. And they're not about to fall apart like the Soviet Union did-- China has been a monolithic oppressive society for thousands of years.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

I am hoping China's greed and lessening popularity may turn things. They have not only stolen Tibet and laid claim to it - other places too - Mongolia for eg - and now they are after Taiwan, parts of India and the moon apparently.... surely the countries of the world may fear it they will be next as it spreads out claiming the lot.... and ACT? The people of China itself are so uninformed they do not know whats going on....those that do are punished - there are people in China-proper that want the leaders to change their policies too....
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The business about the Moon was a satire, but the Chinese government is definitely ambitious and they don't take kindly to uprisings or protests (see Tienanmen Square). I'm not very optimistic about change coming to China in the near future.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

China is changing being quite a bit different than it was only a 100 years ago. But it will probably take a new generation coming into power before the current system changes.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

I am afraid it will take several generations before the current situation in China changes.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

they recently had a new leader, i understand.... maybe the one after this might change course. My hopes lie in the fact that many Chinese citizens are now opposed to the way China is acting in the world rather than unknowing. If they say anything they risk arrest/torture themselves, but there are more regular people in the know these days than before.... also that the world as a whole is beginning to get fed up of China dictating what other countries should and should not do - such as meeting HHDL - there is hope....hopefully!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's the only way China will ever change-- from within. But they have a very old and entrenched society and it would be very difficult for a liberal leader to emerge.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

my fingers will remain crossed - until......
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Mine, too.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

FREE TIBET*

*Requires the purchase of a Tibet of equal or larger size.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ah! The solution has been staring us in the face all along. :D

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

And not a single mention on CNN.com.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

CNN/BBC/ETC.... they are AWARE of these happenings - but as I have been informed, choose not to show these stories due to govt pressure not to antagonize Chinese relationships...
The only way to learn the truth is to follow the stories online - which is what i do....