What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post your original works of fiction here.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:34 pm
Did anybody else know that Ray Bradbury wrote mysteries. It was a mystery to me, until now. This oughtta be interesting.
I didn't know this :eek:

How do they compare in quality to Asimov's Black Widowers mysteries?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I've still only read the one so far, but I have no doubt that they're all top quality. I love the Black Widowers stories, but Bradbury's stuff is going to be so different that they'll be hard to compare. Asimov's stories are pure logic and deduction worked out as a thought experiment by a bunch of talking heads sitting around a table, while Bradbury's are going to be prose poems illustrating some element of the human condition.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ That's fascinating. If Bradbury's mysteries, I'll read them for sure. I'm thirsty for good mysteries, especially those with some kind of sci-fi angle to them.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Have you read Asimov's Union Club Mysteries?

I have a book put aside for Halloween called Shadows Over Baker Street which involves Sherlock Holmes and the Lovecraft Mythos. I'll see what else I can think of.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^That's sounds interesting.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, I'm excited to get into it, as soon as I finish Stranger in a Strange Land. The other book I'll be reading for Halloween is Quest for Cthulhu, by August Derleth (I've always wondered if you pronounce that like August 31st or like august edifice).

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:50 pm
Have you read Asimov's Union Club Mysteries?
I'm not sure. That sounds vaguely familiar. :unsure:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The collection appears to be still in print. If you like Black Widowers, you will probably like these stories. It's kind of like a cross between Black Widowers and "The World of Commander McBragg."

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I'm still working my way through the Solar Pons collections and I recently finished volume 5 and, while the stories were still excellent, the editing and formatting were horrible. Quotes run together, so it's hard to tell who's talking and paragraphs split and indent randomly. It's very distracting. Since it's an e-book you'd think they could polish it and re-upload it.

Before I start on volume 6, which is a couple of novels, I'm dipping into an anthology of new Domino Lady stories called Sex As A Weapon. The theme of this anthology is that she meets various other fictional adventurers. The first story I read was "The Strange Case of the Domino Lady and Mr. Holmes" by Nancy Holder, which obviously teams Domino with Sherlock. The MacGuffin of the story is the theft of the last vial of Henry Jekyll's formula, which was a great idea-- that the writer unfortunately did nothing with. It was literally just a MacGuffin to create a reason for the sexually liberated Domino Lady to meet and interact with the elderly and studious Holmes, which was magical. As a character study, it was pure perfection. She just should have saved the Jekyll formula for another story.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I read another story from the Domino Lady: Sex As A Weapon anthology, "Masks of Madness," by Martin Powell. She meets The Phantom in this one (and kind of gets to be a Jungle Girl, briefly). She also discovers the identity of the man who killed her father and tracks him down, which really surprised me-- I thought that would be one of those things that remained a mystery forever.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ This sounds interesting. I see it came out 12 years ago. How did you discover it?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I found it at DriveThruFiction, which has a ton of great Pulp-related titles, most of them available for download (although I have the paperback of that particular book).

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ Cool beans :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

And I should mention that they come in PDF format, so you don't need a special reader or anything.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Man, it's been a long time since we dusted off this thread. I guess that's because I've been mostly dipping randomly into the various anthologies I've got lying around.

But today the new Jack McDevitt novel, Village in the Sky. It will be nice to visit with Chase and Alex again. :yes: