Check In # 43 - Does it Really need a Name?

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Thena
Censor
Censor

Re: Check In # 43 - Does it Really need a Name?

Post by Thena »

I was so eager to lose a few extra pounds that I went a little overboard counting calories. The end result: I was cranky and extremely fatigued. So it's back to eating as normal. I'll just have to work out more often.

The highlight of my weekend was watching the antics at the rental property across the street. The tenants who lived there for the past two years moved out. In the time they were there, I never saw the landlord doing any maintenance. Their rain gutters were so clogged with dirt that grass started growing in them. They also had numerous cracks in the driveway with weeds growing through the cracks. There's also a dead tree in their yard that is surrounded by 2-foot-high weeds. I would see one of the tenants mowing the lawn about once a month, but that seemed to be it. They didn't seem like the most careful of residents, either. They would park cars on the lawn and leave lights on in the living room all night. So it was interesting to see that the first thing the landlord did after the tenants moved out was to completely remove all the carpets. He also repaired all the cracks in the driveway and put down a layer of sealcoating. There was also a hired landscaper that came out and trimmed everything. The dead tree and the grass in the rain gutters haven't been touched yet.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Well, most of the Fridays and Mondays for the rest of the year are all used up, so I had to take one long six-day weekend in December. I'm still not entirely sure if I can get time off around Halloween for my marathon.
Lupine wrote:My sister called last night. This month's ailment: memory loss. I told her to call her doctor as usual.
You should have said, "I know. You told me that yesterday." :D

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Spent most of the day emailing back and forth with my son trying to resolve his cell phone problem. It's resolved for now. We'll just have to wait til next month to see what his complaint will be.

Tomorrow I must go to the bank. Otherwise I won't have enough $ to cover the rest of the months bills.

Hope you all have a nice night!
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Lord_Plecostomus »

So I am trained... to operate the folding seats on the public-bus and restrain wheelchair folks with straps and hooks while they are on the bus. Mind you I am not a bus-driver... just a fellow passenger who took a community-outreach class.

Anyway. Woman rolls up the ramp, I fold my seat back and strap her in. Conversation happens and it gets silly and I fire off "If I wasn't married this would be the making of a wacky 'how I met your mother' story." She goes "Actually it wouldn't because I have *medical condition* and if I make it three more years they'll be impressed."

I said "gosh that's depressing." She goes "Yeah I know, I'm off to therapy... they're going to teach me how to stop sucking all the fun out of a conversation." -- perfect deadpan, then she bust out laughing and explained her condition better. It is fatal, she only has a short time left -- but she finds great humor in life and loves to travel by public bus so she can chat with people.

...this is one of the reasons I love public transit, you meet the most INTERESTING people!
Witty comment goes here.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm. coffeewards treadeth moi.....we might be off out with our friends today - only dad didnt seem too well last night. might just be his first early night after 3 late ones - he needs to be horizontal longer so the blood flows to his brains more - he has poor circulation....also could be the dental worries or something new....

you could try cutting dairy Thena, then you can loose weight without eating less. do you mean regular buses, LP? or those minibusses? (we dont have belts on the regular ones, but they do on minibusses here...)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

It's pretty chilly in here this morning. I guess I should have taken in the air conditioner over the weekend like I intended. :lol:

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Lord_Plecostomus »

do you mean regular buses, LP? or those minibusses? (we dont have belts on the regular ones, but they do on minibusses here...)
Regular city bus. The front four seats fold up and become "slots" for wheelchairs, and the law requires them to be strapped in place.

That way they don't go rolling / launch down the aisle / become airborn in the event of emergency maneuvers by the bus.

While the CONCEPT of a wheelchair bound person being launched down the aisle at high speed is funny on paper, the actual reality-version is not. Last thing you want is someone getting hurt or worse.

What was happening is our city buses are driven by union men and women. Many of the old-school unionworkers refused to assist the handicap as it wasn't part of their contract. They demanded an absurd pay increase. Union rules prevent these folks from being fired and the union blocked attempts by the various advocacy groups to resolve the situation. Solution was to train up a bunch of kind-hearted well meaning folk to deal with the situation.

At this point, many bus-drivers are actively assisting now. Problem is that handful of hard-ass union men that refuse to help. Until they all die off or are retired we'll have to keep up with the program.
Witty comment goes here.
Thena
Censor
Censor

Post by Thena »

Cutting dairy might not be that easy since there's very little dairy in my diet to begin with. I hate milk. If I do need milk for something, I use almond milk.
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

RJDiogenes wrote:
It's pretty chilly in here this morning. I guess I should have taken in the air conditioner over the weekend like I intended. :lol:

You may be glad you didn't. It's going to get quite warm and muggy over the next few days. Mother Nature has a decidedly skewed sense of humor.

Bank today. Schoolwork that I ignored yesterday. Load and run dishwasher.

Yup I lead an exciting life alright.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

^
It's quite warm and muggy here, today!
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

:yawn:

Another day here. The stove is out for repair so I can't make any tea this morning (unless I try microwaving it :unsure: ). Hopefully it will be back this evening.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:My sister called last night. This month's ailment: memory loss. I told her to call her doctor as usual.
You should have said, "I know. You told me that yesterday." :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

Sounds a good idea Lord P.... Dad has a wheelchair, so i know what you mea\n about the buses... on a regular bus, they have space for two wheelchairs/4 pushers here - pushers must fold up if there are two wheelchairs needing the room, though. but here there are no straps. you have to park the c hair with the back towards the front of the bus against a metal board/bars and park your chair (brakes) - but no belts. of course, with dad he has me to make sure he doesnt go rolling off down the bus 'if', but i guess if the chair is self propelled there are dangers....so it sounds a good idea.
had a lovely day out with dad and our friends L&B from round the back of the block in Brighton! we found an asian supermarket so i am stocked up on noodles/seaweed/dessert treats.,....and they have a FEW vegan cafes so i got a take out wrap and ate it at the cafe the others ate at...we strolled the chairs u and down the seafront browsing along and all four of us had a good day out! only kjust got in 20 mins ago!
emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

I'm kinda woozy this morning, queasy too. I'm blaming the stuff they injected into my foot before they would do the laser. I had pain in my right side, not too bad, but notable, so I'm glad that's gone, but also glad that they assured me they wouldn't do the injections again. The fact that I get queasy when I eat yogurt is a big clue.
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^ Woozy and queasy are never good. Hope this passes.

Had a long day of teaching today. Not sure how much students learned, but at least they laughed at my jokes. :lol:

It's hotter today than any day we've had this summer. :hot:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

My Halloween vacation is confirmed. :dance:
jgc wrote:You may be glad you didn't. It's going to get quite warm and muggy over the next few days. Mother Nature has a decidedly skewed sense of humor.
Yeah, I've heard we're in for a mini heat wave here.
Lupine wrote:The stove is out for repair so I can't make any tea this morning (unless I try microwaving it :unsure: ).
That works. I just boil the water in a glass measuring cup and then pour it in the cup with the tea bag.
Madeliaette wrote:had a lovely day out with dad and our friends L&B from round the back of the block in Brighton! we found an asian supermarket so i am stocked up on noodles/seaweed/dessert treats.,....and they have a FEW vegan cafes so i got a take out wrap and ate it at the cafe the others ate at...we strolled the chairs u and down the seafront browsing along and all four of us had a good day out! only kjust got in 20 mins ago!
That sounds like a great day. I hope he was in good spirits.
emma glitch wrote:I'm kinda woozy this morning, queasy too. I'm blaming the stuff they injected into my foot before they would do the laser. I had pain in my right side, not too bad, but notable, so I'm glad that's gone, but also glad that they assured me they wouldn't do the injections again. The fact that I get queasy when I eat yogurt is a big clue.
Did they say that queasiness might be a side effect?
scottydog wrote:Had a long day of teaching today. Not sure how much students learned, but at least they laughed at my jokes. :lol:
Which counts for 50% of the grade. :D