Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles

Post by RJDiogenes »

These advances in battery technology are amazing. There will be a lot more applications than just electric cars.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I watched the live streaming of the Tesla Model 3 Unveiling last night. I was very tempted to get $1,000 to put a deposit on one before I saw it, and now I kind of wish I had an extra $1,000 to place a deposit. I like it.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

My Mother was actually talking about this today. There was an article about it in a local paper. Apparently the pre-orders have since doubled.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:My Mother was actually talking about this today. There was an article about it in a local paper. Apparently the pre-orders have since doubled.
During the reveal, Elon Musk announced there were already 115,000 pre-orders. I last read that number was just shy of 200,000. Tesla's goal is to build and sell 500,000 cars per year. It looks like the Model E, and its subsequent variation, will help it achieve that goal very quickly.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Pre-orders have eclipsed 200k (worldwide) and keep increasing. I signed up for a test drive and should hear from a Tesla representative tomorrow or Tuesday. I will schedule something for June or July. After that, I will probably deposit $1,000 and add my name to the list for a Model 3. I may not get my vehicle until 2019, which is fine. That allows me enough time to save money for payments during each phase as the delivery date draws closer.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Fantastic. Five or ten years from now, the roads will be quite a different place. Except for me. I'll still be driving my antique. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

2017 CHEVROLET BOLT EV VS. 2016 TESLA MODEL S 60: HIGH-VOLTAGE

Very interesting article. My interest in a Chevy Bolt has been reignited.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

If only I had an extra 40 grand lying around, I'd take one. Maybe there's a tax break. All I need is to be in the zero tax bracket for the next eight years. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:If only I had an extra 40 grand lying around, I'd take one. Maybe there's a tax break. All I need is to be in the zero tax bracket for the next eight years. :lol:
There is a financial blogger who goes by the moniker "Mr. Money Mustache" who recently purchased a new Nissan Leaf for $14,000 by leveraging incentives, State, and Federal tax credits. If you really want to move into the next phases of driving, now would be the time to explore your options. Who knows, maybe there is a diamond in the rough waiting for you.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Even 14k is a lot when I'm trying to leverage early retirement. :D We'll see what the stock market looks like after the election. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:Even 14k is a lot when I'm trying to leverage early retirement. :D We'll see what the stock market looks like after the election. :lol:

Touche.

Oddly enough, I'm kicking around the idea of buying a late-model Volvo 240 (either sedan or wagon) because they are durable vehicles that are easy to maintain. They're also "built like a tank", which means compete safety in the event of an accident. More than likely, the other vehicle will be reduced to rubble while the Volvo can be driven home.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I do need to be on the lookout for a new vehicle-- new used, that is. My old faithful Grand Maquis is showing her age. I've had to make very few repairs in the ten years I've had her, but she's had two major issues, transmission and power steering, just in the past month.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Well, Car and Driver give the Chevy Bolt 5-Stars, plus it has a 5-star crash rating (which is very important to me).
http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/bolt-ev
http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

It has a lot of room in a small space and the advanced platform help make it a more functional vehicle. I've been reading a lot that Tesla vehicles start creaking and groaning after 30,000 miles, plus quality seems to have dropped in the last year. I'm really leaning toward a Bolt once I finish my double degree and have my house paid off in 2017.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Hmm. Three or four days without plugging in. I wonder how often, on average, people have to gas up.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:Hmm. Three or four days without plugging in. I wonder how often, on average, people have to gas up.
Now that I only drive to work and home (35.5 miles, one-way) with occasional side trips, I only have to refuel once per week. Many people probably gas up every two to three weeks, maybe longer. I've ready stories where people have only bought two tanks of gas for their Chevy Volt in a 1 year period. The fuel system vacuum seals to prevent the fuel from spoiling.