Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles

Post by Gary »

Toyota Touts Cold-Weather Performance Of Hydrogen Fuel Cells

How did you fare in the Snowpocalypse?

The recent polar vortex over the North American content dumped heavy snow on dozens of states and brought in truly Arctic temperatures, causing widespread travel disruption.

While Toyota's hydrogen fuel cell vehicles aren't immune to snow-bound traffic, they are at least suffering no ill-effects from the cold--neither range nor performance have been affected in the recent chill.

Toyota is operating small fleets of fuel cell vehicles in the U.S. before it launches a full-blown production car in 2015.

While electric cars can see their range figures tumble in very cold weather, as battery chemistry struggles to cope, Toyota says there are no such issues with its fuel-cell vehicles--a less-than subtle hint that it still sees fuel cells as the superior option.

Connecticut-based Proton Onsite currently runs a ten-vehicle fleet of Toyota FCHV-adv fuel cell vehicles in a real-world trial.

Despite snow and low temperatures, Proton's vice president of business development Mark Schiller has reported no issues with the vehicles--"I continue to get range of about 300 miles despite the cold and blasting the heater" he says.

Air Products in Pennsylvania also runs a test fleet, also trouble-free. Its drivers have carried on as normal despite the state having one of its worst winters in recent memory.

Like many automakers, Toyota tests its vehicles in extremes of both heat and cold, and its fuel cell vehicles in particular have spent long periods testing in Yellowknife, Canada--where temperatures can reach -30 Celsius, or -22 Fahrenheit.

That's more than most owners will face--or at least, more than most owners expected to face before the recent Arctic snap. And while other aspects of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles remain relatively unproven, it's nice to know they can handle cold weather as well as, if not better than, some other vehicles.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That sounds almost too good to be true. How can using the heater that much not drain the cells at all?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:That sounds almost too good to be true. How can using the heater that much not drain the cells at all?

It's possible that the current draw of the heater is relatively low. The only way to understand it would be for Toyota to post a schematic.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I need a heater like that for my house. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Toyota begins testing wireless recharging for electric cars

ImageToyota has announced that it will begin actual verification testing of its new wireless battery-charging system for electric vehicles, one that charges the battery of a plug-in hybrid or a pure-electric car by having the car park on top of it. Toyota's charging system uses magnetic-resonance technology. This method transmits electricity by using magnetic resonance that results from changes in magnetic field intensity between a coil positioned on the ground under the car and a receiving coil built into the underside of the vehicle. This technology would eliminate the need for physically plugging in an electric car or a hybrid. It also has the potential to act as a universal charging station, reducing the need for multiple charging stations and plug standards.

Toyota is also testing a new parking-assist system that would help the driver to position the car in a parking spot for the wireless charging system to charge the car's battery. In prototype form, this technology has been coupled with Toyota's existing Intelligent Parking Assist system.

This isn't a typical automaker test in controlled research facility conditions.Three modified Priuses have been given to customers in Aichi Prefecture in Japan. For one year, customers will test ease of use, user satisfaction, misalignment rates and charging behavior. Following the successful completion of this test, Toyota hopes to introduce wireless charging in existing plug-in hybrid vehicles. Wireless charging could be only a couple years away, but infrastructure will need more time to catch up. Installing this kind of system in your home is one thing; it'll be another for commercial property owners, such as convenience stores or office buildings, to offer these in their parking garages. The underlying technology is not that far-fetched; it has already been marketed with cell phones that use a miniature version of this technology.

Volvo has been working on an identical system as well, one that works along the same principle. It's not clear at this point which automaker is further along in being able to introduce wireless charging in production vehicles, but the tremendous disparity in size between the two automakers, as well as the wealth of experience in developing and marketing plug-in hybrids and pure-electric vehicles, overwhelmingly favors Toyota.

Now, all that remains is for other automakers to create car-mounted wireless charging coils that will actually be compatible with the ground-mounted wireless chargers that will appear on the market. That'll be the tough part.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Futuristic. :D

I just hope nobody is so stupid as to introduce incompatible systems into the market.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

How does GM’s fabled EV1 stack up against the current crop of electrics?

I laughed at the EV-1 back-in-the-day, and now I realize how foolish I was; especially after having watched Who Killed the Electric Car?. GM really had something that, with time to grow, probably would have been an honest challenger to Tesla. It's funny how, in years past, the manufacturers (including GM) would give a vehicle some time to grow market share but did not allow the EV-1 to do so.

If the EV-1 were still available today, I'd buy or lease one in a heartbeat. I drive, on average, 90 miles per day, and with an EV-1 equipped with Li-On batteries I'd have the perfect electric commuter vehicle.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

A 90-mile range is pretty good. A four-hour charging time isn't bad either. And who's ever going to recharge from zero? People generally get gas when they've got about half a tank. It would be easy enough to charge up overnight or while at work.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

WOW!!!!

Hyundai to present hydrogen-powered SUV concept in Geneva

The South Korean car manufacturer plans to wow visitors at the international car show with a new concept car powered by a next-generation hydrogen fuel cell engine.

The Intrado, which will be unveiled to the public at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show, is directly inspired by aviation engineering, in terms of both the technology and the materials used. The body panels, for example, are made of shock-absorbing ultra-light steel, while carbon fiber is used for the doors, the engine hood and the tailgate.

But the Intrado's real innovation is found under the hood. The vehicle runs on a hydrogen-powered fuel cell engine with a 36kWh Li-ion battery. As a result of this technology, the concept car can be recharged in a matter of just minutes and has a range of 600km. Moreover, the engine only emits water, meaning that it is completely environmentally friendly.

This is not Hyundai's first endeavor in the realm of hydrogen motors: the carmaker has been producing its ix35 Fuel Cell in South Korea since 2013. The concept car was designed and developed primarily at the brand's European R&D center in Rüsselsheim (Germany).

The Intrado stands out as the first concept car inspired by Hyundai's latest design language, dubbed "Fluidic Sculpture 2.0." The name of the new concept is in keeping with its aviational inspiration: "intrados" refers to the inferior side of a plane's wing, which produces lift and allows the craft to fly.

The 84th Geneva Motor Show takes place from March 6 to 16 at Palexpo in Geneva. Website:salon-auto.ch
That is one spiffy looking mo-sheen, Hyundai!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Sweet. I can't wait till it's been around long enough for me to buy one used. :lol:

Minutes to charge and a 300-mile range. I guess they solved those problems.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Tesla reveals $5 billion Gigafactory, the world's largest battery plant
No automaker has quite the momentum that Tesla Motors enjoys today. It sells every car it builds easily, with customers queuing around the globe. It's considered the best car for sale in America by several critics, and Wall Street has bought into Elon Musk's vision with a fervor rarely seen outside riverside baptisms. And yet everything Tesla stands for today and wants to accomplish in the future rides on a single stubborn, expensive piece of technology — the battery.

Today, Tesla revealed its grand plan for tackling that weak spot, a $5 billion plan to build the world's largest battery plant, dubbed the Gigafactory — one that would power the company from start-up to an auto industry player with 500,000 vehicle sales a year.

Even with all the attention it's received to date, Elon Musk's firm remains a small timer as far asglobal automaking goes. Tesla plans to build 35,000 Model S sedans from its California factory this year; Ford typically builds that many F-Series pickups in about 20 days. All of those cars will rely on lithium-ion battery cells shipped from Asia, where Panasonic and other suppliers control most of the world's supply. While researchers have spent decades hunting for better ways of storing electrical energy, none has emerged as an alternative — and at the moment, there's no technology on the horizon that's better or cheaper.

The price of those cells has been the major reason the Tesla Model S and all other electric cars cost far more than gasoline-powered ones. A few automakers have built their own battery plants in the hopes of driving down costs and ensuring supplies, with Nissan's $300 million Tennessee plant the largest in the United States to date. But none have been built to the scale Tesla would need to supply hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year; the company already uses a third of all electric vehicle battery production.

In its outline, Tesla says by the time the plant goes online in 2017, the plant to lower its battery costs by 30 percent — which coincides with its plan to launch a third "affordable" all-electric model for roughly $45,000. Three years later, Tesla expects the Gigafactory would produce enough batteries for Tesla to bolt into 500,000 vehicles a year, more lithium-ion battery power than the rest of the world built last year.

The cost for doing so: roughly $5 billion, with Tesla providing up to $2 billion and current battery supplier Panasonic and other partners providing the rest. Tesla says it has narrowed the potential sites for the plant and its 6,500 jobs to four states: Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. The company also said today it would raise $1.6 billion to help pay for the plant and developing new models.

When Tesla launched, many executives and critics questioned whether it could ever survive building expensive vehicles limited by battery range and recharging times. If Tesla can open its Gigafactory as planned, and meet the goals it's set, those critics will finally have their answer.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yikes. Quite an ambitious project to be done in three years. The payoff could be huge and game changing, or lead to another decades-long setback for the electric car.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I encountered a Tesla Model S at Will Rogers World Airport and took a moment to look (and drool) over it. This is probably the most impressive vehicle I have ever seen, in person.

ImageImageImageImage
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, it's no '57 T-Bird, but good enough for the 21st century. :D

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

It would be interesting to make retro-style cars that are hybrids.