So I just published on Linkedin...

Post your original essays or articles here.
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

So I just published on Linkedin...

Post by Lord_Plecostomus »

Linkedin of course being Facebook for people who think way too much about their jobs. :D

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/ ... ject-title

In this article I discuss the rise of branded knowledge and touch on the decline of experienced workers in the workforce. Nothing fancy, just right to the point.

...it was pointed out that I need to update some things in my profile -- I am working at the railroad, not the blowmolding factory. Other than that... enjoy!
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: So I just published on Linkedin...

Post by RJDiogenes »

Nice article, and I agree. A generalist is a valuable guy to have around. The reason I've had any kind of success at all is I will do anything. As a result, any place I've worked, I've been the guy they go to when nobody else knows what to do-- most of the time I don't know what to do either, I just figure it out as I go along. I never say "That's not in my job description." :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^The first time Ray Bradbury came to speak at our library his advise for success was to "make yourself indispensable". :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yes, very good advice. :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lord_Plecostomus wrote:Linkedin of course being Facebook for people who think way too much about their jobs. :D

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/ ... ject-title

In this article I discuss the rise of branded knowledge and touch on the decline of experienced workers in the workforce. Nothing fancy, just right to the point.

...it was pointed out that I need to update some things in my profile -- I am working at the railroad, not the blowmolding factory. Other than that... enjoy!

Are you working there "all the live-long day"? :lol:

*EDIT*

Great article! (BTW - I sent you an invite to connect). Your lumping IT with the complaint about how "we want people who know OUR system" is what I'm enduring right now. The manager berates and insults me every time I ask a question and literally lied in my interview. "Yes, we want someone like you who takes pride in your work and strives for quality." "No, we adjust deadlines if something unexpected happens during a project."

Let's see: I have a task to create a new program and I opted to write it from scratch rather than using a gutted version of some serious spaghetti code (as I was told I could). Since no other parts of the project are finished, I get my head bit off because my part isn't ready yet. Oh, and the project has not been "reasonably rescheduled" even though the lead programmer was knocked out with a heart attack and bypass surgery the early part of December. I also get yelled at for asking questions (along with verbal insults) when I point out that the code needs to be modified for the line-of-business being implemented.

This has motivated me to learn C# and also look for someplace else to work. The kicker is Cobol programmers are hard to find, so I'll be putting them in a bind but that's not my problem.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.