Blogging 4...

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Blogging 4...

Post by RJDiogenes »

Thank you. It's up to 47 notes now. I think my record is around 50. The weird thing is that this week's cartoon is one that I've been keeping around in case there was a week when I couldn't think of anything better. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:The weird thing is that this week's cartoon is one that I've been keeping around in case there was a week when I couldn't think of anything better. :lol:
There is precedent for this. I've heard songwriters say that a huge hit on an album was a song that they had thought was a "throw-away". :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, it's just like that. I don't get it. Now it's up to 50 notes and I've got 379 followers. I guess I just don't know what's funny. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:I guess I just don't know what's funny. :lol:
Ha! I think you know. You just don't know exactly how funny.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I guess not. :lol: It's now up to 54 notes. I'm not sure if that's a record, but it's certainly very rare. And I'm up to 380 followers. :mellow:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ So we should have betting pool for the date when you hit 500 followers. Perhaps this coming February?

Lupy, you'll be happy to know that your Andrew Jackson essay is the most-visited hero profile on my heroes blog. Over 22,000 people have clicked on it!! :eek: :thumbsup:

The only two posts that have attracted more visitors are my two top-10 lists: '10 Reasons Why People Need Heroes' and '10 Ways You Can Become A Hero'. But among the actual hero profiles, none are more popular than Andrew Jackson.

John F. Kennedy is second with about 18,000 hits, and John Lennon is third with roughly 16,000 clicks.

Congrats, Lupy, and thank you!

RJ, your most visited hero essay is Grace Kelly, with about 6,000 clicks. :yes: Thank you to you, too! :thumbsup:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

scottydog wrote:Lupy, you'll be happy to know that your Andrew Jackson essay is the most-visited hero profile on my heroes blog. Over 22,000 people have clicked on it!! :eek: :thumbsup:
:eek: :eek:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Congratulations. You should put your book titles in your biographical note. :D
scottydog wrote:^^ So we should have betting pool for the date when you hit 500 followers. Perhaps this coming February?
It's too unpredictable. I've now got 55 Tumblr notes for last week-- and 1 for this week. :lol:
RJ, your most visited hero essay is Grace Kelly, with about 6,000 clicks. :yes: Thank you to you, too! :thumbsup:
That's interesting. You have to wonder what draws people in, and if they look around after reading what they were searching for. Can you tell if people use the sharing option? Also, do you have the option of offering email notifications?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ I agree, blog visits are very hard to anticipate. I can understand the popularity of JFK. But what is it about Andrew Jackson? He was recently ousted from the $20 bill, and the blog on Harriet Tubman is also highly visited -- but far short of Jackson.
RJDiogenes wrote:Can you tell if people use the sharing option? Also, do you have the option of offering email notifications?
Good questions. Google analytics does tell me how many people arrive at a site via a sharing option (e.g., from Twitter). One of the sharing options is email, but perhaps you are asking whether I can receive email notification from a site visit?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

No, sorry, that was two different questions. :lol:

I was wondering if you can offer readers an email subscription so that they will be notified when there's a new post.

Second, I was wondering if Google Analytics can tell you how many people share the post after they've read it, by clicking the Facebook button for example.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote: I was wondering if you can offer readers an email subscription so that they will be notified when there's a new post.
There probably is a way, but I'm so technologically challenged that I don't know if or how to do it. I'm meeting the our tech guy next week and I'll ask him.
Second, I was wondering if Google Analytics can tell you how many people share the post after they've read it, by clicking the Facebook button for example.
Google analytics spits out thousands of bits of data and I only look at a few things (e.g., overall visits, visits per post, and how people arrive at my sight, i.e., google search, etc). But your question is a good one and I'm curious who likes our posts so much that they 'share' them. That's more telling about how impactful a post is than a mere visit. :yes:

So I'll scour GA to find out.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Cool. It might be interesting if they have it.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:Cool. It might be interesting if they have it.
I couldn't find those data. That doesn't mean they aren't there -- they give TONS of info, some of it I can find thru searching, some I just can't. And half the data are complex gobbledeegook to me. :shrug:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gobbledeegook to me, too, especially since I've never used it. I did find this, though, which might be helpful. It sounds like Analytics can do it, but might need a little setting up.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^ That link is helpful, thank you!