Happiness...

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Happiness...

Post by scottydog »

huggle wrote: I think many young people nowadays are disappointed of life because they have unrealistic ideas. They expect happiness (and love, too, for that matter) to be like an explosion. Something utterly extraordinary that completely bowls them over. In my experience, however, both are very quiet events that steal into our lives on cats' paws. Very likely the young ones overlook the best moments in their lives because they don't even notice them, being too busy looking for big events that only happen in movies and other fiction.
I'd say you're right. If we take pleasure in the simple things, like a glass of water when we're thirsty and a hug from a loved one, then we can find happiness. For me, gratitude is key.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

huggle wrote:In short, happiness is a tomato that's still warm from the sun.
I'm picturing you drawn by Chares Schulz. :lol:
I think many young people nowadays are disappointed of life because they have unrealistic ideas.
I think their minds are numbed by the torrential onslaught of social media.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

I agree. And in the social media everyone tries to outdo everyone else and so their stories grow bigger and bigger. Unfortunately, many of their peers believe them.
But the traditional media add to unrealistic expectations. Just look at the photoshoppped pictures of impossibly slim and smooth-skinned people. And in movies and TV Shows all good guys are handsome, all bad guys are ugly, plump people are always pictured stupid, black men are always muscular but brainless, Italians are Mafiosi and French are only thinking of bedding you etc. Or what I loathe most: the nosy and irresponsibly stupid American kid that doesn't obey orders, gets into trouble, gets dozens of good people killed in the rescue and then gets congratulated for being so brave instead of getting a thorough spanking - lesson learned: stupidity and disobedience make you a hero.
With all these wrong role models, how are children and teenagers supposed to develop a sense of reality and get fit for life?

As for Charles Schultz - I always thought Peppermint Patty was a lot like me :)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

huggle wrote: And in movies and TV Shows all good guys are handsome, all bad guys are ugly, plump people are always pictured stupid, black men are always muscular but brainless, Italians are Mafiosi and French are only thinking of bedding you etc.
I always notice that bald men are usually the bad guys. Jean Luc Picard being a notable exception, of course :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

And skinny, nearsighted guys with an overbite are always geeks. Oh, wait, that one's true.
huggle wrote:I agree. And in the social media everyone tries to outdo everyone else and so their stories grow bigger and bigger. Unfortunately, many of their peers believe them.
It's the Age of Extremism and that's one reason why.
As for Charles Schultz - I always thought Peppermint Patty was a lot like me :)
Yes, sir. :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

scottydog wrote: I always notice that bald men are usually the bad guys. Jean Luc Picard being a notable exception, of course :thumbsup:

And Yul Brynner! :sweetlove:

@RJD: would you like me to hold the football for you to kick? :snowballfight:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I'm not going to fall for that. :D

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I'll take Linus's blanket, please :D
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Everybody could use one of those these days. :lol:

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

it's way too hot for any blanket. At the moment my personal happiness is a cool breeze and strawberries with ice cream
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

If we have blankets to keep us warm in the Winter, we should be able to invent anti-blankets to keep us cool in the Summer.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:If we have blankets to keep us warm in the Winter, we should be able to invent anti-blankets to keep us cool in the Summer.
The apocalyptic explosion that would result from blankets and anti-blankets coming into contact with each other might really disrupt my sleep. :sleep:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It could also power starships! :eek:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:It could also power starships! :eek:
.... which would make me happy! Okay, let's get scientists (or a few grandmothers) working on knitting these anti-blankets! :)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Maybe we can get our aunties to do it. :angel: