So, let me tell you about my week! I lived it, you can...

The friendly forum for chat and perhaps a virtual coffee

Moderators: Duracell, KatyJane, Aurian

PhoenixHope
Administrators

So, let me tell you about my week! I lived it, you can...

#1 Post by PhoenixHope » February 7th, 2012, 1:45 am

...read about it!

Yes, I know I've been missing, and while yes I've been working most of the days I've been missing online since Wednesday that has NOT been the only reason I've been missing.

But we shall start at the beginning. I knew my The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural reviews would be late this time around, though admittedly Wednesday I had no idea how late. *sigh*

Anyway, this week at work the computer system was upgraded, which means for one whole shift I had to do math without the aid of a cash register/calculator (I demand a raise now, thank you, because somehow I got through it), and if you know me at all then you know me and math are not the best of friends - I suck only slightly less at math then J K Rowling.

Fun fun days is all I'm saying, and sadly the fun didn't stop there - lets just say all around this week was so much fun that if I have another week like this I'm a-gonna shoot myself. That's how much fun it's been.

Anyway, on the day the system at my job got fixed (for a certain value of the word fixed - I mean if you know PCs at all you know these things never go smoothly - two days later it still wasn't working properly) my own personal PC decided it was time to die. Seriously, I wasn't going to turn it on Friday, but someone in my house did, and there was this high pitched whistling noise... And that's all my poor PC would do.

That means I've lost quite a bit of information, because I got lazy. When I first got my last PC I backed up everything at least once a month, but it's probably been four/five months since the last time I did that, which means I'm having to find certain websites and crap again without a handy button to click. It sucks ass is what it does.

However, late Friday night (because I always work late when I work Friday) I went to the general super store to buy a new PC before coming home. Well, guess what? Go ahead - GUESS!

My new PC did not have a dial-up Modem (though I didn't discover that until the next day, because I was in pain, tired, and sleepy by the time I got home on Friday), so on this my first day off in forever (okay, not forever, just feels like it after the week its been) I had to go around looking for a modem. Well, obviously, I found one - had to go a hundred miles (round trip) to get it and get it back home, but damn it I got it!
(And since I went cheap, I guess I should have expected a complete lack of what I needed/wanted.)

The worst thing (aside from the wacky fun math work-week) is that on this new PC EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT. And I don't like it - I WANTS MY PRECIOUS BACK! YES, WE WANTS OUR PRECIOUS!

I especially dislike the keyboard, because everything is smushed together, which means I'm hitting lots of buttons that I do not intend to hit. *sigh* SO, yeah, my reviews are gonna be delayed just a bit longer until I get a bit more used to this new keyboard, but worse still is that even windows itself is completely different to any windows I've used before, and I HATES IT!

Basically, what I'm saying is I want my old PC back and working, but according to the guy I took it to that one would have to pretty much be rebuilt from the ground up which means I'd still have lost so much anyway, but at least I wouldn't have so much trouble figuring everything out. Though I suppose eventually I'll get used to this one. BUT RIGHT NOW I WANTS THE PRECIOUS BACK!

Oh and apparently this my new PC does not like LJ at all, because it does not want to let me log on. I thought I'd finally got it, because I discovered (finally) that the privacy settings was sky-high, but even after lowering them I still can't log on to LJ

PS - have I mentioned that I just do not love this newer version of windows, because I don't, in fact I hate it! I WANTS MY PRECIOUS (i.e. XP) BACK!

BRING US OUR PRECIOUS!
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

huggle

Re: So, let me tell you about my week! I lived it, you can...

#2 Post by huggle » February 7th, 2012, 8:48 am

don't despair! Maybe your old PC can be repaired. Many Good Will Stores offer a repair service nowadays (that's cheaper than a computer shop and since they have no time pressure, they often work more thoroughly than the professionals).

Can you describe in detail what your old PC does when you try to switch it on? Especially important: does it give a number of beeps (if so, which rhythm and length)? These beeps are a code that tells us what exactly is wrong.
If we find out which part broke down, we could maybe help you repair/replace it.

If everything else fails, the harddrive can be removed, read out and copied onto your new PC so that you regain access to all your bookmarks and files.

In the meantime, it's comperatively easy to solve the keyboard problem: Just connect the one from your old PC to the new one.

As for the chaotic office PC update: I know exactly what you mean *sigh*. That's why I always have a little pocket calculator and my granny's good old mechanical typewriter at hand. 8)
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

RJDiogenes

#3 Post by RJDiogenes » February 8th, 2012, 12:35 am

^^ I was going to suggest having the data copied from the old hard drive, too.

Also, the new version of Windows-- which I agree totally sucks-- has a setting that reconfigures it to look like the more familiar variety. Don't ask me where it is, though. I did it months ago for my Mother, and don't remember now what I did.

Sorry you had such a bad week. :(
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#4 Post by PhoenixHope » February 8th, 2012, 12:53 am

Well, the good news is that I'm starting to get used to this new windows. (Though I miss miss miss Open Office, which if this PC has it I can't find it.) It is faster, and after having time (apparently) to get used to the new modem my internet is actually working better today, as well.
(Possibly I should have restarted the whole PC yesterday when I kept having trouble staying connected to the internet, but again today it's doing fine.)

Still don't care for the keybord much at all, except the way this one is built crumbs and dust can't fall down between the keys and mess things up, so... Again, it has it's perks, just can't get used to the typng on it.

As for my old PC, as I understand it (from the guy I took it to) there is no salvaging the info off the hard drive, but that's okay, I guess. Mostly, I have site links (I just hate having to type them all in, because some site links are long links, but for those google has been pretty helpful) - I did save all my writing, or at least all my unfinished/unpublished writings, so hopefully other sites will hold out until I can copy my finished works from them. Mostly what's missing is some pics/avatars, a few fanfic links to fanfics I was planning to rec but hadn't gotten around to doing so, but most importantly (to me) is the ratings information I like to save over the course of each season - that's gone, and for some it will be a bit of a pain in the ass to collect it again.

Anyway, the old PC when turned on would make a long high pitched squeel (best way I can describe it) for several seconds then go silent and then do it again, go silent and then do it again, and again, and some more. It would not do anything else at all.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

huggle

#5 Post by huggle » February 8th, 2012, 8:38 am

RJDiogenes wrote: Also, the new version of Windows-- which I agree totally sucks-- has a setting that reconfigures it to look like the more familiar variety. Don't ask me where it is, though.

At start / settings / systems there should be an option to alter your desktop settings. These settings contain a drop down menu where you can pick a more classical windows style.
(I'm sorry, I don't know exactly what this menu point is called as I use a German programme version)
There should be a shortcut: go to your desktop and right-click anywhere. Then the desktop settings menu pops up.

Open Office is not pre-installed on a Microsoft computer. They'd rather cut out their own hearts than install a product of their competitors. You have to download the fitting version from the internet and install it on your machine.
Here's a list of all Operating System and language combinations. Just pick yours :)
http://www.openoffice.org/download/othe ... ested-full

1 long beep means your old PC has a RAM problem. Most likely a memory chip is damaged and needs to be exchanged. However, the harddrive is not involved in that problem and therefore can definitely be rescued.
I am not sure how much exchanging the RAM chips would cost. I guess Santy would know - he's awfully good with tinkering.

Santaman
Administrators

#6 Post by Santaman » February 8th, 2012, 2:09 pm

One long beep is usually a CPU or a power/mainboard problem, RAM problems usually have short beeps most of them high pitch, low pitch, high pitch etc etc depends also on the brand of BIOS.
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

RJDiogenes

#7 Post by RJDiogenes » February 9th, 2012, 12:42 am

Mine plays Greensleeves. What the hell does that mean? :unsure:

huggle

#8 Post by huggle » February 9th, 2012, 8:23 am

it means 'alas, my user, you do me wrong' :p

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#9 Post by PhoenixHope » February 10th, 2012, 12:04 am

DAMN!

huggle beat me to it.

Though I'd have gone with something about user and bad taste in music or needing to find the stop/delete button. *grin*

Anyway, huggle I'd have sworn Open Office was a Microsoft thing, or maybe I'm not thinking of Open Office but something else, because the version I'm thinking of came installed on an older PC which was also Microsoft (and I used that PCs recovery disc to reinstall it on my previous PC, but that disc doesn't want to work with this PC). I just really don't like Microsoft Office at all, but for now I'm having to use it for spell checking, but I'd really rather have a version that is more simple - Microsoft Office is just weird and hard to use/read.

RJDiogenes

#10 Post by RJDiogenes » February 10th, 2012, 12:21 am

^^ PCs either come with Microsoft Office or Microsoft something-- simple word processor, spreadsheet, etc. I hate Microsoft, too. OpenOffice is much better, and completely free, so you should definitely download it.

huggle wrote:it means 'alas, my user, you do me wrong' :p

Awesome. :lol:

huggle

#11 Post by huggle » February 10th, 2012, 8:21 am

just my annual fit of wittiness :blush:

PhhoenixHope, did you perhaps mean MS Works? That one used to be pre-installed on PCs often.
The problem with MS software is that it is very much entwined with the operating system and many functions share one and the same file. This way it's almost impossible to copy the software from a PC with an older operating system to a newer one. My Win ME came with such a good photo editing software and I can't peel it free and copy it to my Vista PC :(

If you used to have Works, you might like Open Office - it has a very similar design. I prefer it over the real Works or Office, since it is much smaller and doesn't use so much processor and memory capacity.

Santaman
Administrators

#12 Post by Santaman » February 10th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Else try Abiword, its simple, easy and not bloated. :christmas:

RJDiogenes

#13 Post by RJDiogenes » February 11th, 2012, 12:11 am

huggle wrote:PhhoenixHope, did you perhaps mean MS Works? That one used to be pre-installed on PCs often.

That's what I was trying to think of.

My Win ME came with such a good photo editing software and I can't peel it free and copy it to my Vista PC :(

That's something I miss about the DOS days: Programs were freestanding and very portable.

Santaman
Administrators

#14 Post by Santaman » February 11th, 2012, 9:58 am

You can still have that portability, just find the portable apps page. 8)

RJDiogenes

#15 Post by RJDiogenes » February 11th, 2012, 10:14 pm

I had it Bookmarked, but it must have moved. I'll have to track it down.

Unfortunately, not everything can be made portable.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#16 Post by PhoenixHope » February 12th, 2012, 11:46 pm

huggle wrote:PhhoenixHope, did you perhaps mean MS Works?

Possibly, I'll check more carefully later, don't have a lot of time right now. But I do know every PC I've ever has was a microsoft one, so that's probably it.

huggle

#17 Post by huggle » February 13th, 2012, 2:40 pm

if you use Microsoft, you have to pay the Bill [~Gates] :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#18 Post by PhoenixHope » February 24th, 2012, 2:14 am

Okay, so I have something I'd like to discuss, but... Well, honestly if I'd come on last night I'd have annouced the whole thing with neon bright lights because I was really pissed, but I have calmed down slightly today, BUT...

Well, lets just start at the beginning - Friday to work I wore a bad evil pair of shoes, and basically said shoe rubbed my pinky toe so badly that around the nail got a bit raw. Weirdly though it did not hurt that badly Saturday so I went to work as scheduled and was mostly fine, though maybe I had to sit down a bit more then usual - I honestly don't remember.

Sunday, on the other hand, was different. Said toe would go from being stiff to "Oh crap I only thought I knew pain!", so yes on Sunday at work it was so bad that I had to do something then sit down before I could do something else. Now in hindsight I know I should've called in sick Sunday, but every other job I've ever had in a situation such as that one they'd tell me to come on in and do the best I could so I never considered calling in, but apparently my current job would've rather me called in, because I went in to work yesterday to a rather snarky note about it. Now granted the note wasn't directly addressed to me, but aside from one tiny thing it felt directly addressed to me (and even that one thing probably was despite the fact that bit wasn't something I'd done wrong), so...

Now here's the catch (the note basically says no sitting down and BLAH BLAH BLAH) in my current job there is no shift shorter then eight hours. Now my state has laws about that, but until I was given shit for sitting down when in this case I actually had a legit reason for doing so it didn't bother me, but after that note it kind of does even if I ain't ragey McRage over it today. But still bothered enough that I actually looked up my state laws on this just to be certain I was right and not pulling shit out of my ass.

Basically my state law says for every eight hours you work you are entittled to a clock-out lunch break (one half hour) and two ten minute paid breaks - meaning I get to sit for twenty minutes at least without clocking out, but also without working. And on that lunch break thing if you have to work through it even if no more then answering the phone then you must be paid for that time too.

The thing is if I report this (as I'd seriously planned to after seeing that note yesterday) it gets the owner of the business in trouble, which is not something I want to do because it's not the owner who got shitty with me about sitting down, but the manager, but I'm betting I can't report the manager for this without getting the owner in trouble, which again isn't something I really want to do.

huggle

#19 Post by huggle » February 24th, 2012, 7:15 am

Could you talk with the owner himself? He could then talk with the manager.
Or, if you feel very brave, maybe you could talk with the manager and tell him that it was a misunderstanding on his side and that he could have avoided it by simply talking with you first.

I know the blister problem only too well. When I was in London last spring the seam of my tights rubbed so badly with every step that I literally had no skin left on the bale of my foot. There are special blister plasters available in many different sizes. The stuff is amazing. It's just a patch of silicone which you stick to the raw toe but it cools, soothes and speeds up the healing. Plus it buffers all pressure so that the pain will be considerably less. I'll never again travel without a box of these :)

RJDiogenes

#20 Post by RJDiogenes » February 25th, 2012, 12:53 am

Yeah, I would definitely try talking to the manager. Tell him you could've called in sick, but preferred to work. Depending on how that goes, you could talk to the owner, too. Or just call in sick next time.

SpaceBall
Technical guru

#21 Post by SpaceBall » February 27th, 2012, 8:52 pm

-
Image I am SpaceBall and I approve this message.Image

huggle

#22 Post by huggle » February 29th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Turning the manager on might not proove a good idea...

RJDiogenes

#23 Post by RJDiogenes » March 1st, 2012, 12:12 am

Turning him off would definitely be a bad idea.

huggle

#24 Post by huggle » March 1st, 2012, 11:59 am

hmm, so it's a lose/lose situation :(

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#25 Post by PhoenixHope » March 10th, 2012, 1:43 am

LOL

Since I believe he's married I don't even want to try turning him on, but at times I do wish he had an off switch - otherwise I think turning him off might get me in some legal trouble.