Anybody want a Gmail invitation?

The friendly forum for chat and perhaps a virtual coffee

Moderators: Duracell, KatyJane, Aurian

Sakrysta

Anybody want a Gmail invitation?

#1 Post by Sakrysta » October 18th, 2004, 4:16 pm

I've got 4 to share. If you want one, email me at sakrysta AT gmail DOT com. :D
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with sauce.

LilyPadd

#2 Post by LilyPadd » October 18th, 2004, 6:39 pm

Can I just be a total idiot for a moment (oi! hold all comments to the end!) and ask why everyone's hankering after gmail? Why's it so great?

The Weatherman

#3 Post by The Weatherman » October 18th, 2004, 6:53 pm

I've got a Gmail account. I'm not gonna say that it's 100 times better than anything out there (especially since i'm not a paid spokesman ;))

I've only had my account for about 2 weeks, and i love it. It's very easy to use, the design is clean (there aren't 500 menus and buttons) and the little bit of ads that they have are in a column off to the side, and they are mostly text based, so there's no photos taking up half the screen.

There's also a small utility you can download that notifies you of when you recieve mail and a brief description of what the message contains.

I have 5 email accounts between college accounts, ISP accounts and 'throw aways" i have accumulated. Gmail takes over for all of them.

The only downfalls are, there's no POP3 accessability as of yet, since they are in a trial period. And you can't send or recieve .exe files (although, that does add some insurance against getting a virus on your computer.)

I'd take a look at the site and check out the photos to see if it's interesting to you. ;)

Geck

#4 Post by Geck » October 18th, 2004, 6:55 pm

I've had one since March and still have all my invites to give out (I didn't actually have any to distribute until July for some reason). I've only actually used the account a couple of times, since I already have so many bloody other e-mail accounts, but gmail is definitely neat. I'll probably start gradually shifting away from hotmail and towards that now...

Rachel

#5 Post by Rachel » October 18th, 2004, 7:18 pm

Gmail has seemed like it is great so far.

I have so very many invites.... :shock:

Tricorder

#6 Post by Tricorder » October 18th, 2004, 8:50 pm

I think I gave one to Sakrysta before the old board went down lol. I have 6 invites, but these days it seems like nobody wants one or most people already do.

HopefulNebula

#7 Post by HopefulNebula » October 18th, 2004, 11:31 pm

I have 6. *shrugs*
Nebby@Dreamwidth - Nebby@Twitter

Quote of the Whenever:

"Oh, great. I come back from the dead and first thing I see is an iPod trying to kill me."

Griever

#8 Post by Griever » October 19th, 2004, 12:05 am

I have 6 as well.

(I posted this over at Trek: http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

It's a GMail drive shell extension. I recommend a highspeed connection if you use it.)

Teelie

#9 Post by Teelie » October 19th, 2004, 3:09 am

5 here.

LilyPadd

#10 Post by LilyPadd » October 19th, 2004, 3:01 pm

How's it better than Hotmail?

Seems that the only reason people really wanted one was because it was invite only...

Aurian
Benevolent Witch

#11 Post by Aurian » October 19th, 2004, 3:04 pm

You can send bigger files, not as much spam coming through and you dont have to delete a thing, since the inbox is huge.
Oh, it's what you do to me

Grim

#12 Post by Grim » October 19th, 2004, 3:06 pm

Well for a start, if you get sent an email with a link in it, it'll open normally, and not with that Hotmail banner over the top.

Sakrysta

#13 Post by Sakrysta » October 19th, 2004, 3:48 pm

I never had hotmail. By the time I actually knew what it was, hotmail had the reputation of being the mail that gets all the spam and runs out of space. I had a yahoo account for that.

I like that Gmail is searchable, and I especially like the label system. Instead of putting your message in a folder, you put a label on it. You can put multiple labels on the same message, and they show up in both places. I also like the "message board-like" way the emails are presented. Makes back-and-forth email conversations easier to follow.

And frankly, I'm a huge fan of Google, so I was eager to give their webmail service a try. I'm glad I did.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with sauce.

The Weatherman

#14 Post by The Weatherman » October 19th, 2004, 5:45 pm

hotmail is also giving me new problems such as not being able to open any links from any message i get. Also, pictures and attachment that were in saved messages are now corrupt. What is the point of having the tiny amount of space if you can't really save anything but text?

Kalen

#15 Post by Kalen » October 19th, 2004, 6:55 pm

I had a few gmail invites a few weeks ago but they disappeared before I had a chance to send them out. It was pretty weird. And count me in on the gmail love. It's a great service.

Tricorder

#16 Post by Tricorder » October 19th, 2004, 8:56 pm

What makes it different than hotmail?

It's fast: Instead of loading the whole page each time you click on a menu option like in hotmail or any other webmail service, it instead uses javascript to call up different parts of gmail, and it also caches all the images when you first log in and calls them up only when needed. What this means is that it cuts the loading time in half.
    1GB of space: Gmail was the first to introduce huge amounts of space to webmail, which in turn made Yahoo and hotmail to increase their space
    It's innovative: It actually adds innovative features that have never been found in webmail until Gmail came along. Before then, all webmail was pretty much based on a template system and hadn't any set of features to make them different. What features make it innovative? Messageboard style logging, so that you can view your emails that go back and forth like a conversation as emails that originate from a specific email are grouped together. Labels instead of folders. Search. Archiving

Did I forget anything? Man, I sound like an advertisement lol.

Teelie

#17 Post by Teelie » October 19th, 2004, 10:35 pm

Not bombarded with annoying flash and image ads and the text ads are very unobtrusive.

Duracell
Tinpot Dictator

#18 Post by Duracell » October 19th, 2004, 10:41 pm

I think I will stick to using my own domain for personal, hotmail for throw away, board for board mail and business account for business :)

And I use turnpike to manage them all together, its like a wonderfly oiled motor :D