My Master's Thesis

Politics and Arguments

Moderator: YuW

Theophilus

My Master's Thesis

#1 Post by Theophilus » February 6th, 2007, 1:31 pm

Yep, I get to start working on my Master's thesis. I thought I'd share my prospectus for it with you guys.

The Russian Federation in the past few years has become aggressive and imperialistic, acting almost as if it were back in the tsarist days. Instead of seeking territorial gains however, Russia is using the sale of its natural resources to force the dependency of other countries.

To prove this point, one can look at the major Russian natural gas company, Gazprom. Gazprom controls almost a quarter of the world’s natural gas supplies and almost all of the entire Russian natural gas market. For some European countries, such as Hungary, it is the sole source of natural gas.

Another aspect of this new “imperial” Russia is the actions of the President, Vladimir Putin. Over the past several years, he has crushed anyone that opposes him and his government. By outlawing various democratic NGO’s (non-governmental organizations) he has silenced political discussion. By selective enforcement of various laws, he has removed foreigners and foreign businesses from competing in the Russian marketplace. Finally, he has created a cadre of followers throughout the Russian government and business world that owe their position and loyalty to him.

To research and prove these ideas, articles from the past decade from various periodicals will be examined. Looking through credible sources such as the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, the Guardian, and various scholarly journals give a wealth of information. Also using various online sources, such as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, and Transitions Online, and finally press releases from Gazprom itself help complete the picture.

In proving these points, there are several steps to be taken. First, an analysis of the situation in Europe after the fall of the Communist regimes needs to be made as a starting point. From there, a look at the development of the marketing of Russian natural resources will show the beginnings of the new imperial actions. This will lead to an in depth look at the actions of Mr. Putin as he has consolidated his power base, and the growth and domination of Gazprom throughout Russia, Europe, and North America. Finally, all these points will be summarized and conclusions offered as to what it all means for the future of Russia and the world.

To die, in the rain.

Meech

#2 Post by Meech » February 11th, 2007, 2:05 am

Aren't the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, etc, not valid academic resources? Or have they been lying to this poor undergrad?
Some days are diamonds,
Some days are rocks.
Some doors are open,
Some roads are blocked.
- Tom Petty, Walls

Dirty James Kidd

Future Hemits of North America

Theophilus

#3 Post by Theophilus » February 11th, 2007, 6:02 am

Well, they aren't "scholarly" resources, but as for something as new as what I am researching, it is the best that is available.

Tomorrow, I go to the library to check out some "official" journals and see what I can find.

Afterall, when most books out there on Russian and Eurasian countries were written before 9/11, it all seems so dated. The world irrevocably changed on that day, and literature and academic studies has yet to catch up to the present day.

To die, in the rain.