You know... (Canadian Whiskey)

Politics and Arguments

Moderator: YuW

PhoenixHope
Administrators

You know... (Canadian Whiskey)

#1 Post by PhoenixHope » September 6th, 2013, 4:57 am

You know, you Canadians don't make a bad whiskey.

What brought this one and why the hell is it in this forum?

Well, I've recently discovered beer is a bit week when it comes to pain relief (of the feet - read my thread in the birthday forum for more info), and while a friend of mine always keeps whiskey on hand it's probably the cheapest American blend that can be found which makes it NOT ideal for the drinking. So the other day I decided to splurge - my credit cards are now set to kick my ass, because I cannot stop using them - seriously there's just so much I want. However, whiskey is NOT a want - I need the pain relief, because the shots I've gotten in my feet from the doctor are not working as well as they used to anymore so I needs help.

On the other hand, I probably don't need to be posting on the internets, but my post button on LiveJournal will NOT work - I can call up the posting page, but the post button will NOT work. Hell, I can't even edit old posts of mine. Which is another reason why this forum for posting this.

Damn! I had to go pee=pee and lost my train of thought. SHIT!

Actually, I was thinking about my X-husband. He once drank so much whiskey that he went catatonic. I'm not joking, he literally couldn't move, but I was drunk enough that his ass slept in the car, because getting my ass out of the car and into the house was hard enough without his dead weight. Alas, he lived and I was later forced by his own jackassedness to divorce him, but why the hell am I think about this - I'm drink this should be a hapyy post.

Hey, if you read that other thread I suggested you'll know my dog ran off/got stolen. Well, my dad seems to think my neighbors took her. But it was funny ronight we was watching some show together and that ASPCA ad comes on and the first dog is a younger version of my dog gone and dad's like I like that one, so I kinda think he misses my baby as well, because he spent lots of time with her.

ANYWAY, I get off work late, at least when I work second shift, and to drink enough beer to get pain relief takes too long - it leaves me awake until after daylight is what I'm saying. So other night I had dad bring his cheap Americasnwhiskey to me and even with week shots by the thrird glass I had enough pain reliefto start on beer. SO I decided the other day when I went to get my paycheck to stop at one of the local liquor stores and decided to pick up a bottle of Crown Royal.

Not bad, btu I've decided to save up my extra money for a bottle of the good America stuff now.

That probably doesn't completely explain why this is in this forum stll, but I figure talking whiskey might be fighting words.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: You know... (Canadian Whiskey)

#2 Post by RJDiogenes » September 7th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Why does your dad think your neighbor took your dog? :unsure:

That's weird that you can't post on LJ. Have you tried using a different browser? Do they have different skins you can switch to? Maybe the skin is incompatible with your browser.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

huggle

#3 Post by huggle » September 8th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Phoenix, my appologies for being a spoilsport, but alcohol and medication (any medication!) are russian roulette. They influence each other and the combined effect is totally unpredictable. You may easily risk your life, unknowingly.
Also, it is very likely that the alcohol is what makes your pain meds cease working.
Plus, if you have a hangover or smell of alcohol it might have a very negative effect on your job.

Instead of drinking, you should rather talk with us. Due to the time difference there's always one of us around to talk with. And a friend's hug has no averse side effects nor does it cause a hangover Image
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#4 Post by PhoenixHope » September 8th, 2013, 10:38 pm

UGH! This is getting annoying I had to post this message before I was finished because for some reason the window locked up - don't ask me how, but I got it unlocked by playing with other open tabs. Anyway, the typing thing happened where I was typing faster than the letters appeared on my screen - then suddenly I was sentences ahead and then the whole thing froze. Good news if you're seeing this message that means you're seeing the updated post.

Goodness, I haven't done the drunk posting in ages. *sigh* I did do a couple of drunk texts to friends earlier this year.

I'm quite scared to reread the post, really.

Anyway, I shall respond to replies, though.

RJDiogenes wrote:Why does your dad think your neighbor took your dog? :unsure:

Possibly because shortly after my baby went missing it was discovered they had a Datson (yes, I know that's not the right spelling, the breed is German not the car, but I has no hope in hell of spelling it properly) which is the breed I had, but the dog they have is not mine. For one thing their dog is black mine was red then white as she aged for another their dog (while I didn't get a close look) is not near as old as mine was. Though now every time I hear their dog cry I miss my baby. But unless they've got mine locked in a cage somewhere never to see the light of day again I don't think they have my dog, because while they have inside dogs you'll usually see them outside every so often.

RJDiogenes wrote:That's weird that you can't post on LJ. Have you tried using a different browser?

I only have the one browser.

RJDiogenes wrote:Do they have different skins you can switch to? Maybe the skin is incompatible with your browser.

That's an interesting idea - I may try and see, but I've used that skin almost as long as I've had LJ and it's always worked before. However, as I said it might be worth changing just to see, since maybe my browser did an auto update that suddenly screwed something up.

huggle wrote:Phoenix, my appologies for being a spoilsport, but alcohol and medication (any medication!) are russian roulette. They influence each other and the combined effect is totally unpredictable. You may easily risk your life, unknowingly.

Okay, first thing first, and keeping in mind I was drunk enough that night that I may have posting something in such a way that made it sound like something else - remember I'm too chicken shit to reread my drunk post - I'm not taking any medication that would conflict with alcohol, except a few Advil (or rather the no-name version) but I don't take that all the time and certain not while I'm drinking or even shortly before I intend to drink.

I think what I meant to say is that I've started using alcohol as medication or at least calling it medication, because no doctor I meet ever wants to give me something for pain relief (other than the one with the shots and I can only afford those once maybe twice a year) and I've found drinking is a much better solution than setting around wondering if maybe there is a painless way to suicide. Because alas sometimes the pain really is that bad that I simply want it over - drinking for me is much more pleasant (and mood lifting) than the other. The downside is that apparently I've reached a level where beer is no longer going to get me any pain relief, because I've found recently that with beer I pass out long before I actually get any relief. And the sleep is more restoring if I can get some relief before actually sleeping.

huggle wrote:Plus, if you have a hangover or smell of alcohol it might have a very negative effect on your job.

At this point, I don't think that matters. Honestly, I think I remember you reading the other thread about how new people took over where I work earlier this year, and while things didn't seem bad at first... Well, I find it interesting that they've now chased off two of the old crowd (the first one left within three months of them taking over, because they cut her hours & the second left within the last month for the same reason) and now it seems they're gunning for a third (me) because they've cut my hours to the point that while lovely for my body is not enough for living and bill paying. On the other hand, I'd already started looking for a new job (though I was being picky - not applying for everything and anything but applying for jobs that didn't require hard labor, unless it was hard mental labor), because while I may be being paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

Still if it'll put your mind at ease I never drink the night before I'm scheduled to work - even I don't want to work with a hang-over or with a still drunk effect, though I haven't had that happen since I was a college student. Usually, I drink right after working a shift so I can have enough relief to get stuff around the house done or do my running around (aka shopping, doctor visits, and shit). Because before I started drinking for relief when I wasn't working I was laid up in bed the whole time I was off and I found that unacceptable.

Okay, now I think I may be feeling brave enough to read my drunk post.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#5 Post by RJDiogenes » September 8th, 2013, 10:48 pm

That's terrible. I wish I could think of some solution for you, for both the pain and the job issues. I wonder if there is some fairly cheap alternative pain treatment. Have you ever tried something like acupuncture?

As for the LJ issue, you should try downloading Chrome or Safari or something and see if that makes a difference. They're free, so there's no risk in trying.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#6 Post by PhoenixHope » September 8th, 2013, 11:01 pm

UGH! The mistakes - they burn!

Though one of my mistakes is interesting, and kinda funny. I said a friend of mine kept cheap American whiskey on hand which was true, but my dad keeps cheap Canadian whiskey around not cheap American.

Okay, off for more fact checking while ignoring stuff like "I'm drink this should be a hapyy post." Ye gads! Though, to be fair, that bit with my X husband is actually a bit of a happy memory, because he was an ass but for a while that little episode had everyone making fun of him.
(And, yes, ladies and gentlemen I was (and still am for that matter) petty enough for that thought to bring a smile to my face.)

I wish I could think of some solution for you, for both the pain and the job issues.

Well, lately I've been applying for the types of jobs I actually went to college for, and while my college happened long enough ago that it would hardly be considered relevant it still does seem to help at least a little bit.
(The reason I didn't do that long before now is that right after college I got such a job and HATED it because it was kinda boring. Now kinda boring would be good, but also I think part of the problem with that one was that I didn't exactly like the people I worked for, and that just turned me off the whole thing until now when my body demands I take a second look at it.)

And, okay, fine, I've only applied for two recently, and it's still a wee bit earlier to know if I'll even get an interview, but at least I am trying. And those jobs would not be hard labor. And I plan to apply the next time my local bank (or any of them) have an opening, unless I get one of the other two beforehand, because while I didn't go to college for banking one of the requirements last time (while I was laid off) was if you didn't have college for it two years of retail experience would suffice and I now have almost two years of recent retail experience, so I'll at least be half-ass qualified, so yay!

I wonder if there is some fairly cheap alternative pain treatment. Have you ever tried something like acupuncture?

Nope, never tried it, and I have no idea where I'd even go in or more likely around my area to even find someone who does that.

huggle

#7 Post by huggle » September 9th, 2013, 12:23 pm

have you considered a job as a receptionist? You need good manners, an organized mind, and a pleasant voice on the phone. Of which, judging by your posts you have at least 2 :)
It'd be a job that's easy on your feet and you have a lot of experience in dealing with customers. That might count as an additional qualification.

You also have a very good grammar and spelling and you are computer literate - how about a secretarial job? Perhaps at some state office or a local authority? They pay badly but usually you get a good health insurance.

Or, since you have experience with dogs, couldn't you apply with the local shelter? They often look for people who are allrounders and can do both a deskjob and care for the animals. Your experience as a salesperson would come very handy when it comes to finding new owners for the difficult cases (ill, old, not so pretty animals).

Your dog was a German breed? Do you happen to have a photo? Then I could identify the breed and tell you how it's spelled and pronounced :)
Was it possibly a Dachshund? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund

RJDiogenes

#8 Post by RJDiogenes » September 9th, 2013, 11:37 pm

Well, I'm glad you're actively trying to get out of that place. In addition to what huggle suggested, the local hospital may have some jobs that you'd be interested in (medical records and so forth).

PhoenixHope wrote:Nope, never tried it, and I have no idea where I'd even go in or more likely around my area to even find someone who does that.

You could just Google acupuncturists in your area or you can try this website. Click on "Find an alternative care provider."

huggle

#9 Post by huggle » September 10th, 2013, 7:09 am

excellent idea! I had completely forgotten about this possibility. I've been suffering from horrible headaches ever since I was a toddler. When I was in my mid-20s my GP took an acupuncture class in China and was rather eager to try his new knowledge so he used me as a guinea pig :D
After only one session my headaches decreased from 4 per week to 1 in 2 months =)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#10 Post by PhoenixHope » September 10th, 2013, 9:11 pm

huggle wrote:have you considered a job as a receptionist? You need good manners, an organized mind, and a pleasant voice on the phone. Of which, judging by your posts you have at least 2 :)

Actually, I don't know so much about the organized mind, seriously, I go off on mental tangents all the time that aren't really relevant to what I'm doing at the time.

But really the main problem/roadblock is that I have a rather thick Southern (American, not South American) accent when speaking which gets even thicker when drinking, though that wouldn't be an issue at work just an interesting little side note. Now granted some find just adorable (since where I work we get travelers many complement my accent Seriously, I've been known to get people from as far away as London and today even France) while others don't care much for (at least two have actively made fun, which never fails to have me pointing out there where they be at now they accent be the weird/funny one - it actually doesn't sound as rude when I say it though - I think it's the very accent they mock that keeps it from sounding rude). On the other hand, my accent is only slightly thicker than most in my area, so not a total deal-breaker. And don't ask me why, because I was actually born and spent the first three or four years of my life up North. Then again according to relatives I didn't really start talking until I was five - no real reason why apparently I just didn't feel the need to talk before then - possibly because I had doting parents and relatives so all I had to do was point and pout - no fuss, no muss, and no talking necessary.
(Though, I generally don't admit that last part out loud - the one about not being born in the south. But really I left someone a voice mail today and replayed it before submitting it and CRAP I twang. Boy, do I twang. So if I didn't admit it no one would EVER know. I also despite trying really really hard NOT too I "Um," a lot. The second time I spoke the message I swear I was trying not to and still one of those annoying little noises slipped through.)

It'd be a job that's easy on your feet and you have a lot of experience in dealing with customers. That might count as an additional qualification.

I don't know if it's here or there since I really can't remember how I did it (it was a great many years ago after all), but once when I was working in a Dentist office I talked a woman into going ahead and getting her teeth cleaned since she'd come all that way it'd be silly to go back home without giving it a shot, since they charged unless you canceled twenty four hours before your appointment.

You also have a very good grammar and spelling and you are computer literate - how about a secretarial job?

However, it's amusing (well, to me) that you've suggested these, because that's what I degree'd in in college.

huggle wrote:Or, since you have experience with dogs, couldn't you apply with the local shelter? They often look for people who are allrounders and can do both a deskjob and care for the animals. Your experience as a salesperson would come very handy when it comes to finding new owners for the difficult cases (ill, old, not so pretty animals).

Yeah, me and more than a few other people - paid jobs at the shelter (or with animals in general) do not open up often in my local area, even for part time.

Your dog was a German breed? Do you happen to have a photo? Then I could identify the breed and tell you how it's spelled and pronounced :)
Was it possibly a Dachshund? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund

Yes, that's the proper spelling and yes I have a photo, but it's on my phone and I don't have the necessary tech to get the pic from my phone to my PC.

But she was a toy breed, as is my neighbor's, because she wasn't twelve pounds, except that one time and while I won't work to lose my own excess weight I did work to get hers off.
(Though, interesting side note one time when I took her to the vet there was a medium size version of the same breed there and behaviorally they was mostly the same.)

I will say she might've been a little mixed because her perfect little (kinda balding nose) wasn't quite breed standard (a touch longer and a little skinner), but everything else matches the breed pics so it could've been more of a genetic fluke then a sign of mixed breeding.
(Not that it matters but she was a short hair and so if the neighbor's - if the color was right I might agree with my dad, but alas even from a distance especially in the sun my dog looked ghost white and the neighbor's is clearly solid black.)

RJDiogenes

#11 Post by RJDiogenes » September 10th, 2013, 10:54 pm

I'm going to read all your posts with a Southern accent from now on. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#12 Post by PhoenixHope » September 11th, 2013, 8:53 pm

Two things:

First, I'm woman enough to admit when I'm wrong, or when I at least may be wrong. And I may be wrong about the new owners.

You see, I went in to open today and there was a note - now, granted, I could tell it wasn't written by the new owner but another guy, but for all I knew the owner might've told the guy to write it. Basically, telling me what I'm supposed to do during a shift. Lucky for me the guy wasn't working today but the owner was, and to my surprise the owner was surprised by the note himself, which mostly likely means he didn't order it written, though I suppose he might've been surprised by my response to it. Whatever!
(Bo Seafus does NOT want to fuck with me since I do twice the work there he does and the very note when he was telling me what to do - well, I wrote down EVERYTHING I did today (and many items weren't actually on the list) and also pointed out the items on the list HE didn't do when closing last night. Fuck with me bitch!)

So, now I'm wondering if it isn't the new owners running the old crew off but one of the old crew themselves. Although the new owners have ticked me off a few times on their own, but still at least today one of the things I might've blamed on them would've been wrong to blame on them.
(After all, it wasn't the other guy who cut my hours, but the owners themselves, but perhaps not all my recent annoyance cannot be blamed on them.)

Still I plan to continue my job search, because honestly I need a job that I could actually work full time because I need the money.

Second,

RJDiogenes wrote:I'm going to read all your posts with a Southern accent from now on. :D

Well, if it helps I've been told more than a few times I sound like Reba (the country singer), which I doubt cause I can't sing for shit. And at least twice I've had people seriously insist that I'm from Louisiana.
(One of those times was, in fact, today at work - the other instance on that last one was back a few years after I finished college one of my potential employers wanted to know where I was from you know originally, which made a nice funny (for me) since I was born in/around Chicago - lets just say I could not convince them of the actual truth.)

RJDiogenes

#13 Post by RJDiogenes » September 11th, 2013, 10:40 pm

I'm from Boston. All Southern accents sound alike to me. :D

The note was pretty douchey. Did the owner say he was going to speak to the guy about it?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#14 Post by PhoenixHope » September 11th, 2013, 11:21 pm

You damn dirty rat!

No, wait!

HEATHEN

Nope, still not a strong enough word...

BLASPHEMER!

Ah, still not quite right...

You Damn Yankee, YOU

:nyah:

The note was pretty douchey. Did the owner say he was going to speak to the guy about it?

No, he just kinda shrugged like he wasn't sure what to make of it, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't say something, but he gave no indication to me that he planned too.

huggle

#15 Post by huggle » September 12th, 2013, 5:52 pm

LOL nice climax :lol:

Rick, do you read my posts with a British/German accent as well?

Which reminds me: ages ago, when recording software and headsets just started, people would record short soundfiles and send them to each other to find out how everyone sounded IRL. Is there still some simple software around for recording stuff?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#16 Post by PhoenixHope » September 12th, 2013, 9:28 pm

huggle wrote:...do you read my posts with a British/German accent as well?

Well, NOW I do. *grin*

Well, okay, NOT a British/German accent, but a German interrogator - "HUGS! The answer is hugs - you VILL stand still and accept all the hugs!" "No, please NOT hugs! I beg of you anything else!" "Nay! You vill accept all the hugs!"

Sorry, but it's funny if you're me. :p

huggle wrote:Which reminds me: ages ago, when recording software and headsets just started, people would record short soundfiles and send them to each other to find out how everyone sounded IRL. Is there still some simple software around for recording stuff?

That's how I discovered something interesting. I once knew a British guy who taught me something interesting. It would seem as much as us American's enjoy a good British accent the British (or at least some of them) also enjoy a good Southern accent. Seriously, I think he liked my accent better than I liked his, and I liked his a lot!

As for that stuff still being around I would assume so, but I also know not how to hook it back up to let you good folks (and that damn yankee :nyah: ) hear my oh-so-glorious accent.

RJDiogenes

#17 Post by RJDiogenes » September 12th, 2013, 11:33 pm

I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy.... :D

Yeah, I don't think about accents until somebody mentions them, so now this thread will be a combination of Southern, German and fine Bostonian. 8)

There are definitely easy ways to send sound files (if anyone wants to hear me, just click on my YouTube page in my sig). Cell phones have a handy voice memo feature and the files can easily be forwarded by email or uploaded. If you have a microphone, PCs come with a sound recorder, though it's limited to one minute; but you can download freeware like Audacity that can record and edit files. And the sound files can be uploaded to your storage space that comes with your Internet account or to YouTube or wherever.

Flukie at TrekBBS has, at various times, solicited recorded holiday greetings from people and compiled them into one file. He hasn't done it in several years, though.

huggle

#18 Post by huggle » September 13th, 2013, 7:48 am

PhoenixHope wrote:Sorry, but it's funny if you're me. :p

Contrary to a popular prejudice, we Germans do have a sense of humour :D In fact, we believe that in order to make fun about others one must first be able to laugh about oneself.

Btw, I can pronounce an english W properly, I just have trouble with the TH since I chipped my front teeth and occasionally, I get the J a bit too hard, more luke a CH, particularly when it's at the beginning of a word.
If necessary, I can speak a pretty broad Cockney or Scots accent as well. And an American westcoast one. 8) Usually, I automatically adapt to whatever accent the person opposite me has.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#19 Post by PhoenixHope » September 13th, 2013, 10:40 pm

To be fair, I'm not usually one to pick on someone (or a group) for having trouble with a few letters, because... Well, if you've ever seen a Jeff Foxworthy special he's got some points. We speak slow and basically merge lots of words into one.

For example,

I'll give his face a nine and his assassinate (ass an eight).

Mayonnaise (Man, they's) a lot of people in here tonight.

European (You're a pee-in) on that fence.

Seriously, if we's be drinking or our accent is just that thick an entire lengthy conversation can be had in under fifteen words, but only understood by others with the same accent.

RJDiogenes

#20 Post by RJDiogenes » September 13th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Kinda makes you feel sorry for those voice recognition programs.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#21 Post by PhoenixHope » September 14th, 2013, 12:36 am

Yeah, and it gets worse - the above is just some of the words our accents mush together leaving yanks shaking their heads wondering how the hell the conversation turned to assassinations, mayonnaise, and Europeans and what that has to do with faces, people, and fences.

There's also the single words that get butchered - people make fun of Canadian's over the whole about/aboot thing, but they got nothing on the south. Some of the words we butcher every day; again (agean), hello (yEl-low and/or El-llo), I (ah), and ever famous you all (ya'll) are just a small sample.
(For example, dad usually says "yEl-low" when answering the phone while I myself say "El-llo," - thankfully, I always answer a business phone with the name of company and a "how can I help you" instead of "El-llo," and no matter how much I try at least one or two "ya'll"s slip out daily.)

What never fails to tick me off is apparently I almost never say something the same way twice - when trying to set the voice dial options on my cell phone... It's just never works even when I set the voice command with my own damn voice!

RJDiogenes

#22 Post by RJDiogenes » September 14th, 2013, 9:24 pm

There are several books out on the Bostonian accent. I gave one to somebody who was moving away once. We say things like "bidaydas" instead of "potatoes," and we have expressions like "Westa Woosta," which means "lands unknown" ("West of Worcester). There are probably websites out there. We say some wicked silly stuff ("wicked" is a stereotypically Boston expression meaning "extremely"). :D

Jim Gamma

#23 Post by Jim Gamma » September 14th, 2013, 9:31 pm

^Wicked is pretty much universally accepted as meaning brilliant now so I don't think anyone would have trouble getting that. :D

RJDiogenes

#24 Post by RJDiogenes » September 14th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Really? It's become quite an affectation here, as a "Boston" thing. Some places even use it in their advertising, like Newbury Comics.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#25 Post by PhoenixHope » September 16th, 2013, 6:26 pm

What are these po-tat-oes things you speak of. Oh, I know, you're talkin' 'taters!

And I agree with Jim, I've used "wicked" myself, which generally means brilliant/awesome. And based on the Harry Potter books/fandom I'd say the British use it to mean the same.