Supernatural Season Seven Discussion Thread!

For all general Sci-fi and Fantasy discussions, be it books, TV or movies

Moderator: PhoenixHope

RJDiogenes

Re: Supernatural Season Seven Discussion Thread!

#51 Post by RJDiogenes » November 15th, 2011, 1:04 am

Ah, Becky. I didn't realize who she was until I saw the episode. It was good to see her again. She's actually the most attractive and appealing female character ever on the show, in my opinion. :D

Yeah, I think the fact that it was a comedy led them to gloss over the substance of what was happening-- on the other hand, they made it a point to mention that the marriage had not been "consummated," which was kind of awkward. Still, other characters have done worse things. And I laughed out loud when she clobbered Sam with the waffle iron that Dean gave them. :D
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#52 Post by PhoenixHope » November 15th, 2011, 1:36 am

I think this may play in to something (regarding Supernatural) that I've seen discussed in other places.

Men and women simply see things differently, so sometimes content in an episode that bothers the female viewers just doesn't envoke the same reaction from the male viewers, because the waffle iron gag was almost the worst part of the episode for me. Probably would've been the worst if it hadn't been for that bit at the end of the episode where Sam spends lots of words/time to make his damn attacker feel better.

But that's a heavy topic and I don't really feel like getting in to it today - maybe later. *grin*
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#53 Post by RJDiogenes » November 16th, 2011, 12:44 am

I just saw it as slapstick. :angel:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 7x08 "Season 7, Time for a Wedding"

#54 Post by PhoenixHope » November 16th, 2011, 2:18 am

Okay, still not really feeling like getting in to this today so here's a short version:

Think about how it would've looked/played if Sam was the female (lets say Samantha) and Becky was the male (lets say Billy). I doubt anyone would think playing that for laughs would've been a good idea.

So, yeah, I just can't find/see the funny here simply because it's a woman violating a man (kidnapping and hitting, so the fact that there also wasn't sexual violation added in doesn't make it better). The way it played to me was no more funny then it would've been if it had been a man violating a woman - to me it's just not funny either way.

Which again is why at the very least I can no longer love Becky as a character anymore, and that does make me sad, and it's also why I'm disappointed that episode tone or not Sam was not at least triggered once over the course of the episode. He really should have been.

And, of course, why I loathe the end bit with Sam basically saying to Becky "I'm sorry I made you kidnap me - you shouldn't feel bad about that, because clearly it's all my fault." Because, no, actually she should feel very bad about what she did, also jail, she should be locked away in jail because of what she did.

So, yeah, call me grumpy and overly literal, but I can't feel what I can't feel and I can't feel the funny here, but I can feel icky and ashamed over the whole thing being played for laughs instead of being played as the serious topic it actually is.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#55 Post by RJDiogenes » November 17th, 2011, 12:29 am

Grumpy and overly literal-- Becky seems to have foreseen that. :D Well, of course, in real life, or in a more serious episode, this would have been handled differently. But it was a comedy, and Becky is a sympathetic, sad character who people feel sorry for-- she's not like that wild-eyed crazy woman in the Android commercial. :D Considering all of the weird, rotten, immoral stuff that the characters have done over the years, this is pretty minor. And the waffle iron thing was pretty funny. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 7x08 "Season 7, Time for a Wedding"

#56 Post by PhoenixHope » November 17th, 2011, 1:25 am

Yeah, I can laugh at myself, but I can't laugh at this episode, and...

and Becky is a sympathetic, sad character who people feel sorry for-- she's not like that wild-eyed crazy woman in the Android commercial.

Yeah, before this episode I'd have agreed that Becky was sympathetic, and maybe a little sad, but still overall a good person. The problem is (for me) that after this episode she IS exactly like that crazy woman from those Android ads, and I have no sympathy for her at all.

However, I'm now moving on, because thinking about this yesterday made me think of something last night.

We know the leviathans are looking for Dean and Sam, right? Well, in the most recent episode Sam got married under his real name (you can tell this when he signs the papers at the end), so shouldn't the leviathans have looked into this just married Sam Winchester. Sure, they probably wouldn't expect Sam (or Dean for that matter) to be using their real last names, but since they seem to want Dean and Sam dead pretty bad it just seems to me seeing the name Sam Winchester pop up would be enough to have them come looking.

And, fine, maybe they did, and we just didn't see it, because I think Sam was only married for two days, so maybe Dean and Sam was gone so fast they missed the investigative leviathan showing up.

*sigh* I don't even truly care about the leviathans, but it's better (for me) to think about other things when it comes to this episode, because somehow while I managed to turn off my brain for the episode, after the fact it's proving hard to keep my brain off.

RJDiogenes

#57 Post by RJDiogenes » November 18th, 2011, 12:44 am

I think the Leviathans are not really living up to the threat level that we were promised.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 7x09 "How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters

#58 Post by PhoenixHope » November 19th, 2011, 2:34 am

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

Without having an episode of The Vampire Diaries this week I completely forgot to post the episode description for Supernatural. On the other hand, at least I did get it posted about a half-hour(ish) before the episode started, which is better then not getting it all.
(Sadly I thought about this last night, but was having a LJ problem at the time, and by the time I gave up on the LJ problem I'd forgotten about posting this.)

Supernatural 7x09 "How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Bobby (Jim Beaver) become actual hunters, in the true sense of the word, when they set up camp in a New Jersey state park to track a creature that has been attacking people in the woods. The townsfolk claim it is the real Jersey Devil. Meanwhile, Dean is beyond thrilled to find a Biggerson's restaurant in town, but is devastated when he discovers the restaurant's special sandwich seems to be making people crazy.
Guy Bee directed the episode written by Ben Edlund.

Also, poor Dean is he ever gonna get to enjoy ANY food this season? Come on, take pity and let him have at least one pie.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 7x09 "How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters

#59 Post by PhoenixHope » November 19th, 2011, 11:05 pm

Okay, so I spent the afternoon decorating for Christmas (outside). I know, I know, I don't generally start until Monday. But while it's windy today it's a warm wind, and after today the forecast is rain rain rain - what am I, living in Canada now? Alas, while I got the outer front porch done (where I could get rained on) I didn't get it completely finished, and got nothing at all on the back porch done, so I will get rained on doing that.

However, since I'm sure most of you don't care about all that lets get to the Supernatural review. After last weeks episode I just wasn't excited for this weeks, because while I liked last weeks episode I also disliked it as much as I liked it because there was aspects there that quite frankly just sucked ass. This week there is nothing like that at all. This episode was great start to finish! And even though I'm not in love with a certain character I can admit that the ending was kinda painful for me.

If you haven't yet watched the episode and don't want to be SPOILED you should look away now!

Supernatural 7x09 How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters

So, I humped this episodes leg pretty much start to finish. I mean, sure, I guess some might've found some of the talky stuff between Dean, Sam, and Bobby in the beginning boring, but I did not. I kinda loved it, actually. I also humped the leg of this episode despite the fact that I guessed wrong about something. For example, I though the unholy chicken sandwich was human meat, but from humans half-way on their way to being Wendigos from having ate the unholy chicken themselves. I was wrong. The meat was (as near as I can tell) scientifically created by the leviathans.

Also, got to admit that I didn't seem that ending coming, though I suppose in hind-sight I really should have. What with Bobby getting to be all badass, but also bonding with both Dean and Sam. I think this might really be the end of Bobby, and while I've never been a great lover of Bobby I find myself conflicted about that. It's not that Bobby's death is going to make me cry or whatever, but I do think it will deeply hurt Dean and Sam, and honestly I'd like Dean and Sam to catch a break or something, because honestly I'm starting to think this series ends with Dean (or Sam) shooting the other one before killing themselves, but I'd like to see them happy or at least able to smile a few times before that, you know. So, while I personally probably wouldn't miss Bobby, I think I don't want him to die.

Anyway, now we'll bip back to the beginning where I wrote my thoughts out while watching the episode. But first I will say that I finally liked another one of the teasers. Or well I didn't like the whole teaser just the bit at the end of it where the monster is eating the man and the recorder tells us that this is the sounds of nature. Clever, Show, very clever.

SMART DEAN AND SAM - I see you there! YAY! They hotwire an entire house. AWESOME. Though poor poor Dean - he just can't catch a damn break at this point. I'm with him though I think the way they're living right now would suck ass, and while I like Dean would know it's necessary I like Dean would still be bitching about it.

Stoned Ranger Rick! HeHe
(Rolling my eyes like Dean, but since I know his behavior is a clue of some kind I can find it cute.)

Hey! Look at that Dean's finally getting to eat some good food - I think I may be weird because that really makes me happy. (Oh, if only I'd know what was coming, because these days Dean can't get a pie, and now after this he may end up turning all vegan like Sam, and I think for Dean that would be like a nightmare. Poor Dean!)

Big Bird, Ken Doll, and Creepy Uncle. Also, geezer salad. LMAO!

BAMBI! However, I am a little shocked that Dean refused to shoot, though I can totally see wee!Sam pulling that adorable wee little face of his and refusing to do it, but Dean doesn't really strike me as the type that would have that problem. Though maybe I'm biased here since I liked deer hunting myself, you know except for the getting up early, and the cold. Also the deer stands - since I'm a wee bit leery of heights you can imagine how much I liked deer stands, right? *nods* I knew you could.

DEAN HUNGRY! And you know while he's always ready to eat, I'm thinking in this episode it's probably a clue.

And sure enough now we've achieved stoned!Dean. YAY, because stoned!Dean is awesome, and now I want to see teen!Dean using drugs for the first time.

SOLENT GREEEN IS PEOPLE! You here me? It's PEOPLE!

Or maybe not, because there's a leviathan or ten. So now I'm wondering if this is something to make humans taste better to them or something?

Alas, now we must get heavy again, because Bobby is all over Dean because of Dean's new world view. And Bobby I get why you have a problem with Dean's new world view, BUT I think Dean might be right here. I mean it does seem like the world according to Supernatural may actually be trying to end itself, because it does seem like maybe in that reality the very world itself knows what should of happened but thanks to Dean and Sam didn't, so maybe the world itself is trying to make it happen.
(Though it's really not, I guess, because last year it was Raphael and the Angels trying to restart season five, and this year it's because Cass wanted the juice to stop Raphael and the others. So the world itself is probably innocent here, though I can see how Dean (and others) could think otherwise.)

Oh, and I also agree with Dean - they should probably find Bobby a nice condo somewhere.

WAIT WAIT WAIT! Show, are you telling me that bibbing a leviathan is actually a bib? Because that's kind of disappointing. No, wait, he's eating himself. Not bad, Show, not bad. So, Dean, Sam, Bobby there you go - want to kill a leviathan? Make it eat itself.

And wait again, because while I was typing all that Bobby got caught. Dean and Sam to the rescue - yes, yes? And yep considering the cleaning truck just oh-so conveniently pulled up in front of them.

However, now it's apparently time for some bad guy BLAH BLAH BLAH!

ACTION!

Damn it! I yelled ACTION!

Ah, finally, Dean and Sam to the rescue!

And now Dick's leaving Bobby alone with orders for Bobby to remain seated. Yeah, right. And sure enough as soon as Dick's out of the room Bobby's on his feet, but he's not escaping he's looking through the files.

And, hey, Dick while not completely immune to the cleaning stuff is immune enough to be bothersome. Though I guess that's why he's the leader since it looks like he's the strongest.

So, Dean and Sam make it out, but Bobby hasn't. Do I smell LeviBobby?

WHOA! Not LeviBobby, not LeviBobby at all. DAMN!

I'm kinda speechless now.

Good show! Very good.

Great looking promo for the next episode, as well!

RJDiogenes

#60 Post by RJDiogenes » November 20th, 2011, 11:49 pm

Yeah, I loved this episode, too, but I really hope Bobby doesn't die. Sure, put him out of action for a while so that Sam and Dean are on their own more than ever, but don't kill the guy. I like him and I'm sick of the death-of-a-major-character trope. It's been done to... er... death.

I thought the burgers were going to be Human meat, too. And Stoned Dean cracked me up. The other thing that cracked me up was any dialogue involving the name Rick. Not sure if you know, but that's my name. :D

The only thing that slightly disappointed me was that the Jersey Devil turned out to be "Dr Moreau's" failed experiments. In the Supernatural-verse, the Jersey Devil is just a myth. Image

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 7x10 "Death's Door"

#61 Post by PhoenixHope » December 1st, 2011, 11:22 pm

Supernatural 7x10 "Death's Door"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

As Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) race the clock on a high-stakes mission, Bobby (Jim Beaver) seeks the help of an unlikely old friend to solve one of the most personal cases of his life.
Robert Singer directed the episode written by Sera Gamble.

RJDiogenes

#62 Post by RJDiogenes » December 2nd, 2011, 12:40 am

Well, I guess Bobby doesn't die. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 7x10 "Death's Door"

#63 Post by PhoenixHope » December 3rd, 2011, 10:44 pm

RUFUS!

Baby Boy!

EARING!

*coughs*

So, about an hour before Supernatural last night I cleaned out my freezer. You see, a couple weeks ago there was some bad burgers pulled out of there - which fine sometimes things just go bad, but then Friday the ribs I pulled out and cooked was also bad. UGH!

So, I basically had to go through the freezer and see what else in there was old. And DAMN! Apparently, I am a food hoarder in addition to being almost a plain ol' hoarder. There was at least two things that went out of date last year, though granted most things in there had just went out of date earlier this year, but still... I tossed enough that I more then half filled a 30 gallon trash bag.

On the other hand, I found a nice TBone steak that was only about to turn, so I thawed that puppy out and had steak last night.
(In other good news there is one more TBone steak in there that I'll need to be eating over the next several days, but YUM TBone! Especially since I bought some good baking potatoes today.)

The sad thing is that I used to rotate freezer stock every time I went shopping, but apparently I stopped doing that at some point this year, and admittedly the last time I did a big cleaning of the machine was just after the ice storm of 2009. So really it was time for a big cleaning anyway, but note to self - START ROTATING THE FREEZER STOCK AGAIN!

Anyway, because last night saw my freezer stock shrink I had to go shopping this afternoon, but now alls well and good. I have fresh food everywhere. Now I just need to get off my duff and get some more housecleaning done.

But enough about that, because Supernatural aired their mid-season finale last night, and I suppose I should chat a little bit about that!

Supernatural 7x10 Death's Door

Now first I'll admit that based on descriptions and SPOILERS I wasn't exactly sure I'd like this episode, because as you know Bobby isn't exactly my fav Supernatural character ever. However, I can honestly say that I did like/enjoy this episode. Mostly because of Rufus, I think. And also it was really nice seeing glimpses of happier times for Dean and Sam. And, of course, because I completely agree with Sam licorice is nasty nasty stuff. Plus there was that scene where neither Dean nor Sam was wearing pants.

What? Don't tell me you missed that. Well, in case you did allow me to be helpful (Click me! Click me!). Though I suppose that was a little more Jensen/Jared then Dean/Sam, but since I watched it about ten minutes before watching the episode it felt like part of the episode to me. *grin*

Now moving on...

At the end of the day I think I still want John to come back and remind Bobby who's really Dean and Sam's daddy! Or well now I suppose Bobby will be going to John instead of John coming to Bobby. And now I have this scene in my head where Bobby and John are fighting it out, and in the background Mary takes time out from kicking her daddy's ass (because he tried to kill her babies, after all) to remind both John and Bobby that the boys get their awesome from her not either of them.

Anyway, is it just me, or is Dean right? Dick did seem a little nervous when Dean was confronting him. Methinks maybe Crowley is no longer the only piece on the board that doesn't underestimate Dean and Sam, especially considering that killing Dean and Sam have been on his to-do list from day one. But I was just surprised that Dick looked so nervous here. Still badass Dean is both badass and awesome so it's all good. And to be honest if Dean was giving me the looks and speech he was giving Dick here I'd probably crap my pants, so...

Really though a lot of the emotional stuff in this episode has such an easy solution - manly man hugs all around. See, Dean and Sam really did need to hug each other and just cry on each others shoulders for all the people they've lost over the years. And, of course, as always Bobby and Rufus just needed to get a room. But you know seriously had it been possible I'd have probably just jumped in to my TV during this episode and given everybody hugs.

Also must say that I liked the Reaper here. Yes he's there to reap Bobby, but I really did feel like the Reaper was actually on Bobby's side, you know.

And finally I must say that I think this episode was Bobby's swan song, but since it was a good one that's a-okay. Seriously, I think Bobby is definitely dead, especially when you consider that all during this episode his brain was shutting down. But also because the show basically drug this out, and I don't mean drug it out in a bad way, but Bobby was shot at the end of last episode and then spent this entire episode basically dying.

And, yeah, I know Bobby's childhood stuff was living the cliche', but I didn't even hate that. It just worked here, plus I admit I do like the symmetry of Bobby killing his dad with a bullet to the head and then Bobby ends up dying from a bullet to his head. That's another indication that Bobby is definitely dead, because this show really does love symmetry.

So, I guess even though Bobby isn't my favorite character he deserves this:

BOBBY! Poor Bobby.

RJDiogenes

#64 Post by RJDiogenes » December 4th, 2011, 12:04 am

Poor Bobby! Damn it, I was hoping he would be saved. As soon as they started to drag it out, though, I knew. :(

Fantastic episode, though. Great insights into what makes Bobby tick and a great tribute to the character. Bobby never quits. And he got compassion and praise from the Reaper-- I really loved that.

Sigh.

It was interesting, though. It ended with "Stay or go?" We do not know what he decided.

Speaking of Dick, there were a lot of shots of people taking pictures of his confrontation with Dean. I have a feeling that will mean something....

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 7x10 "Death's Door"

#65 Post by PhoenixHope » December 4th, 2011, 11:43 pm

Re: Will he (Bobby) stay or will he go?

I honestly don't know, because I've not looked at/seen SPOILERS on this one way or another. However, I'd personally think that Bobby, as a hunter, would be smart enough to realize that staying is just a bad idea. As Rufus (aka Bobby's brain) pointed out just how many ghosts remain in their right mind? Some do, sure, but most don't, and Bobby managed to fight death long enough to get to Dean and Sam what he needed/wanted to get to them anyway.

And while they could pull off a miracle recovery for Bobby, I actually find myself hoping they don't (even though I'm a wee bit tired of depressing Dean is depressed and a Bobby death would, no doubt, make that worse) because this was a good end for the character. Much better then (for example) being exploded by Lucifer or getting offed by some normal run of the mill critter. And like I said above I think Bobby is just to smart to hang around as a ghost.

However, I could see a fake miracle recovery being pulled off for Bobby (which would lead to JB staying around). If the leviathan (Dick) realized that Bobby dying will lead to even more determined Winchesters (and lets face it revenge is something that seems to be in the blood of a Winchester) then I could see Dick ordering one of the other leviathans to mimic Bobby so Dean and Sam continue believing Bobby is still with them.
(In Dick's mind that could also have the added bonus of keeping the Winchesters from mucking about with the leviathans overall plans.)

Do I actually see the above happening? Not really, I think an actual miracle recovery for Bobby would be more likely then a stealth leviathan Bobby.

RJDiogenes

#66 Post by RJDiogenes » December 6th, 2011, 12:42 am

Well, in this show, a miracle is literally possible. Cass was resurrected several times. The same "somebody" who did that may have reason to save Bobby. Or Cass could still be around in some form and pull it off. Or even Crowley may get involved for reasons of his own.

But I really think Bobby is gone. :(

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#67 Post by PhoenixHope » December 11th, 2011, 9:53 pm

I think so too, and not just because Jim Beaver is returning to Justified for an episode (and maybe even an arc), but because as I said I think it would be out of character for Bobby to hang around as a ghost. Bobby's supposed to be smarter then that.

Of course, as you said with Supernatural things can happen, but I still suspect the only way we'll see Bobby again is in flashbacks.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 7x11 "Adventures in Babysitting"

#68 Post by PhoenixHope » January 5th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Supernatural 7x11 "Adventures in Babysitting"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

"ONCE UPON A TIME" ACTRESS MEGHAN ORY GUEST STARS - Still reeling after what happened to Bobby, Dean becomes dangerously obsessed over finding a way to take down Dick Roman (guest star James Patrick Stuart). Meanwhile, Sam decides to help a teenage girl (guest star Madison Mclaughlin) look for her father (guest star Ian Tracey), a hunter who has gone missing. Sam traces his last steps to a truck stop where the help (guest star Meghan Ory) turns out not to be so friendly.
Jeannot Szwarc directed the episode written by Adam Glass.

RJDiogenes

#69 Post by RJDiogenes » January 6th, 2012, 12:40 am

Cool, it's finally back. Meghan Ory plays Red Riding Hood on Once Upon A Time.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 7x11 "Adventures in Babysitting"

#70 Post by PhoenixHope » January 6th, 2012, 12:50 am

Yeah, it's been awhile, but at least Supernatural hasn't been off as long as The Vampire Diaries has. Though annoyingly enough from what I understand there will be two new Supernatural episodes then two weeks of reruns before coming back again for an unknown number of episodes before yet another rerun break.

RJDiogenes

#71 Post by RJDiogenes » January 6th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Well, that will be annoying. I don't mind the one break, but I don't like the on-again off-again stuff. I remember one time Bones came back with one episode and then went on break again.

Oops. That makes me wonder if Bones came back last night. I taped Secret Circle. :unsure:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#72 Post by PhoenixHope » January 7th, 2012, 11:26 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Oops. That makes me wonder if Bones came back last night. I taped Secret Circle. :unsure:

Nope, at least according to my Dish Guide Bones was a rerun last night. However, from what I understand next week Bones will be a new episode, but it will be a new one at seven. Which obviously doesn't bother me since I no longer watch Bones, but for those (such as yourself) who do you'll have to choose between Bones and The Vampire Diaries, though I think that'll only be a one time thing, I think when Bones finally returns again in April it'll be back to eight.

Anyway...

Okay, so I know I said I'd post my The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural reviews today, but it's not going to happen. Sorry. Not only did I work yesterday but I got called in early and then the workday itself was crazy.

Yes, I watched Supernatural as soon as I finally got home last night, BUT I was tired and my feet was literally on fire... Okay, not literally, but they (or my right one anyway) was burning hot, so I was more focused on cooling them down (which equals feeling better) then actually focusing on the episode as much as I should have.

Still even then one thing about this episode managed to catch my distracted attention and piss me off.

So, as mentioned I was pretty out of it for most of the episode, but then towards the end something really caught my attention. The kid. UGH!

Anyway, the kid forces Dean to take her along on the big rescue. Fine. Dean even did his best to make sure she stayed out of it. But the stupid little shit didn't listen, which is also fine, and expected really. However, at the end of the episode she's credited with saving everyone's lives. Um, NO! Dean was going along fine with his rescue attempt that was actually screwed up by the stupid little shit busting in and being used as a hostage. Sure, she saved herself, which also fine, but then everybody and their damn brother credits her with saving their lives while also forgetting to note that things was going fine before she came busting on the scene in the first damn place.

That probably wouldn't have got to me if Dean had at least mentioned that her saving their lives was only slightly tainted by the fact that she kind of endangered them in the first place. But no everyone acts like Dean (even Dean himself) couldn't have done the job if that stupid little shit hadn't been there.

*sigh*

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#73 Post by PhoenixHope » January 8th, 2012, 10:12 pm

So, it's here! Yes, they're finally here. What? My reviews!

Supernatural 7x11 Adventures in Babysitting

First thought - I don't think I'm gonna love Frank, which is weird because I generally like quirky characters like Frank, but for some reason he just didn't really work for me during this episode. Perhaps Frank is one of those characters that should only be used in small doses. *shrug*

On the other hand, there is a way Frank could win me over, and that would be if he's around the next time Dean and Sam decide to separate. Then he can flog whichever one suggested that boneheaded move within an inch of their life while asking do they even watch the show, er, read the books. Seriously, at this point everyone knows when Dean and Sam separate... Well, it's just never good for them, and someone really really needs to point that out... I'd say to Dean and Sam, but at this point I think it might be the actual writers that need the kick in the ass.

Then there's another stupid thing - I'm really beginning to see why I didn't really focus on this episode as I watched it the first time. Anyway, if they've (Dean and Frank) all ready been caught on film then the jig is up (or at least should be, since Dick clearly knows what Dean looks like). Honestly this whole bit woulda worked better if Frank had seen the cameras BEFORE the cameras saw them, but hey maybe the leviathans are actually that stupid/blind... Oh, whatever!

On the other hand, tapping in to the leviathans own security was actually a good idea, which seems a bit rare this season *cough* or at least in this episode. Also, I think it was a really good idea to show Dean actually getting some rest. But those plus bleeding and bound Sam are about the only good things in this episode.

Because after some boring shit, and even some more again we meet the character I have dubbed "the annoying one." Sadly, I don't think the writers of this episode meant for this character to actually be annoying, but for me that's honestly how she comes across. However, honestly if it wasn't for one thing I might just assume that I found this character annoying because in general I tend to find kids annoying.

BUT "the annoying one" forces Dean to take her along on the big rescue. Which fine, that actually does make sense, believe it or not. And even then Dean did his best to make sure "the annoying one" was only fray adjacent. But "the annoying one" didn't listen, which is also fine, and expected really. I mean I can see the hows and whys of what she did, and perhaps if at least one character (any character) had been allowed to point out the fact that her saving everyone's lives was only slightly tainted by the fact that she endangered them in the first place I might've been okay with all the above. Okay, not all the above, but all the above re: "the annoying one" anyway.

And yet this episode closes with the kissing of "the annoying one's" ass instead of allowing someone (ANYONE) to point out that winning or not in the end her little boneheaded stunt could've gotten them all killed. But there's apparently no place for logic in all this. Perhaps the following is needless to say at this point, but I sincerely hope that there are better episodes of Supernatural coming down the line, because this one just *deep breath* should be sent back for a refund, or at least some serious rewrites.

Last thought - Am I the only one who thought the ending with Dean trying to follow Franks advice was WAY creepier then it was intended. Seriously, somehow the lighting of this scene just made it C-R-E-E-P-Y.

RJDiogenes

#74 Post by RJDiogenes » January 10th, 2012, 1:27 am

^^ Heh. I didn't think it was creepy, but I thought it was kind of sad. I loved Frank's big reveal; that was a real wake up call for Dean.

And I did think that it was a bit stupid to praise the kid for saving them when she was the one who screwed everything up.

And I'm not sure, but I think the other Hunter was the guy who plays Adam in Sanctuary.

Also: Who drank Dean's beer? Was it... Ghost Bobby? :unsure:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#75 Post by PhoenixHope » January 10th, 2012, 2:41 am

RJDiogenes wrote:Also: Who drank Dean's beer? Was it... Ghost Bobby? :unsure:

I sure as hell hope not, because I can't even express how deeply disappointing that I'd find it for the show to make Bobby stupid just to have him hang around in ghost form.

Seriously, I stand by my thoughts after last episode Bobby (or any hunter) should be smart enough not to hang around, except for Dean and Sam, but even then only if the other brother was still alive.

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ Heh. I didn't think it was creepy, but I thought it was kind of sad. I loved Frank's big reveal; that was a real wake up call for Dean.

I don't know, I just get the feeling I shouldn't have been shouting (at the screen) "wake up, Sam, Dean's been kidnapped by a shapeshifter again!"

But that's why I blame it more on lighting then writing/performance.