ST 12 Facebook page a fake

For all general Sci-fi and Fantasy discussions, be it books, TV or movies

Moderator: PhoenixHope

Lowell

Re: ST 12 Facebook page a fake

#26 Post by Lowell » December 14th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Your Both right. Its been 3 years since the last movie and its NEW trek? even though we can say we would love something else?

If they want to do Star wars then I can say Trek forgot its mission. Yes they want a BIG space battle! Thats why I quit role playing with some groups since they wanted a more military like Trek with Marines and I perfer the away team (Stargate like missions) to planets!

Yet I doubt a series about a small crew on a science vessel( MY idea )would work look at ENTERPRISE and SERENITY as examples even thought they had great casts!

RJDiogenes

#27 Post by RJDiogenes » December 14th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Mostly that's true, thanks to contemporary culture being stuck in a state of arrested adolescence. However, there are a few programs that show various degrees of maturity, from Being Human to Walking Dead. Other shows, such as Warehouse 13 or the recently departed Sanctuary, have a level of professionalism that would be acceptable for Star Trek. So we are not completely without hope....
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

Lowell

#28 Post by Lowell » December 15th, 2012, 10:38 pm

I think Amanda Tapping would make a Great starfleet officer! One of my big wishes for years was to have Richard Dean Anderson do a cameo as an Admiral.

Jack talking to Capt Picard! :lol: That would have been so cool!

What we need is some good people to helm a idea that would work.

MY section 31 adventure has some good characters that would bring back some memories of the good times on Trek!

huggle

#29 Post by huggle » December 16th, 2012, 10:03 pm

R. D. Anderson would make a nice Q.
IMO a new series ought perhaps aim at a female audience. So far, most Trekkies are male so that there is a big marketing sector that's practically left out. There is some potential there.
Whatever one may think of the qualities of Voyager as a series, at least it featured 2 strong female characters. I think that's why VOY is more popular with girls than with boys. Adults might concentrate more on the charactres than on their gender (unless they wear something as tight as 7 of 9's outfit :D )

How about a web-based series? These mini-episodes would be a good way to try out storylines. Sanctuary started out as a web series and then was turned into a full length tv network series since it was so popular. Currently they try the same with a web SciFi series called 10,000 days. They published 6 epis on youtube and are now trying to sell it as a TV show.
Apparently this format (web-based SciFi) is the lastest development in the movie business. At any rate it's a good way to test the water and get immediate feedback from the audience.
A Trek spinoff - regardless of the timeline or cast - would certainly profit from direct interaction with the audience. They could even let the audience decide how the story continues.
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

RJDiogenes

#30 Post by RJDiogenes » December 16th, 2012, 11:13 pm

^^ Sciffy is doing that with the latest nuBSG spin-off, too.

The original Star Trek was very popular with women. I think the only Trek that wasn't was DS9, since it was war-based-- and I don't think Trek should ever be war-based. A new series should go back to the basics of episodic exploration and discovery, and stories that highlight the Human condition.

Lowell

#31 Post by Lowell » December 17th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Oh yes alot to cover from both your posts.

I agree DS9 became a war series and alot my story begins with the main CO having surived the 3rd Borg invasion hes bitter being given a scinece vessel until he gets a mission from Section 31 :o I think with the popularity of Bond A Starfleet Intelligence series or stories would be a good adventure as Im doing "With Old Soliders" I do have a female 1st officer who doesnt like war and dislikes the New CO until she takes over and has to save the mission. My story is SFI sends the Starship Chekov to a planet on the Romulan border and although the ship there to show the Flag and offer help with reseaching a comet. The Captain ordered to locate a Federation spy and bring him back to Starfleet. Of course something going to go wrong! :x CDR Mignon is like a female Picard. So i think she would be a strong female much like jeri Ryan 7 was.

ENTERPRISE sadly didnt make it to 7 seasons despite having a cast including some male actors who where VERY :lol: well liked by female fans! I had to pull my friend off one at a con in 2003! So I think a good mix of actors male and female would make TREK work again.

More later.

huggle

#32 Post by huggle » December 18th, 2012, 1:54 pm

I'm a Niner but I didn't like the war story arc either.
Trek going back to standalone episodes or short story arcs would be cool, particularly if they'd go back to discovering and exploring. In my opinion the series ought to be about how different cultures / peoples / races / genders can cooperate and live together peacefully. A personal conflict, like Worf being torn between his Klingon heritage and his human upbringing, seems to me much more interesting than a military one. The first requires brains while the latter only requires force.

Lowell

#33 Post by Lowell » December 18th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Despite ist status as a station based show. It had some good stories and the cast was very great at cons!

That being said Worf coming in made it a Klingon series and that gave those fans wanting action what they wished for. I remeber alot of fans complaining about the stories and lack of off station adventures so that why they had the Defiant and brought in the Dominion as the enemy!

One good thing is it led to Voyager later on which was a great and well like series.

ENTERPRISE was a good crew and actors yet I think they could have done better. I doubt Starfleet Academy would ever be accepted as a series yet I think another starship like Startrek INTREPID might work. Going back to USS ENTERPRISE I always hear "NO one better than Kirk!

Personally i would love to see another Patrick Stewart and NG like crew return. I miss the days of TNG which ill admire always.

Of all the series I would have to say its a tie between TNG and Voyager for me. Most of my role playing crew picked Voyager as a Perfect trek crew!

Stargate stole Trek mission of away teams something It needs to go back to!

RJDiogenes

#34 Post by RJDiogenes » December 18th, 2012, 11:34 pm

^^ I liked the station-based stories. It was like a Science Fiction version of Casablanca. And they had the Gamma Quadrant to explore. They didn't really need to do war stories, except that the audience was changing and looking for violence instead of ideas.

huggle wrote:I'm a Niner but I didn't like the war story arc either.
Trek going back to standalone episodes or short story arcs would be cool, particularly if they'd go back to discovering and exploring. In my opinion the series ought to be about how different cultures / peoples / races / genders can cooperate and live together peacefully. A personal conflict, like Worf being torn between his Klingon heritage and his human upbringing, seems to me much more interesting than a military one. The first requires brains while the latter only requires force.

This is exactly what I think, too.

huggle

#35 Post by huggle » December 19th, 2012, 7:56 am

great minds :D

One epi I really enjoyed was "Profit and Lace". I loved it how Moogie showed the guys who really has the lobes for business.

Lowell

#36 Post by Lowell » December 19th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Lets go back to the 1990s? What IF DS9 had been a Starfleet Outpost starbase (like B5?) or a planet side base.

I once though up STAR TREK FEDERATION based on Earth at Starfleet HQ and dealt with both Operations and had a main character who was an Ambassador dealing with political issues.

You could add Section 31 spying and have one of the characters childern attending Starfllet Academy?

Then add some alien characters living on earth?

I dont know if dallas in the 24th century would appeal to the action fans only having a Starship based episode now and then?

having met most of the DS9 cast I know they enjoyed thier time on the series even though they feel they wasnt treated as well as say the other casts expect ENTERPRISE?

More later as Im off to work.

RJDiogenes

#37 Post by RJDiogenes » December 19th, 2012, 11:54 pm

I don't know if that would work, but I always wondered how a Star Trek anthology series would be received-- every week a story set in a different part of Starfleet or the Federation.

Anyways, I heard some news today that made me suddenly much more optimistic about the possibility of a new Trek series. Apparently, Bryan Singer is developing another Twilight Zone revival for CBS Studios, which has not yet been marketed to any network or channel. CBS Studios also owns the television rights to Star Trek. If they're interested in TZ, that makes it seem more likely that they'd be interested in ST-- maybe even as a companion show for a night of classic revivals.

Lowell

#38 Post by Lowell » December 20th, 2012, 9:39 pm

It would be interesting. I would love to see that.

Lowell

#39 Post by Lowell » December 22nd, 2012, 5:09 pm

On another forum a fan liked the idea of Trek going "James Bond' as much as I support Stafleet having a good Intel service and theres a need for a section 31 I dont think a Starfleet CSI would make good trek.Yet having to send the ship to do an Intelligence mission has been done alot in all series.

Or have a BIG threat like the borg come in every season which hurt stargate as well.

I would be happy with a small starship with about 30 crew with 2 main actors as the stars. The CO would be alien either and Andorian or Vulcan and wonder how fans would accept that. It would eb something they havent done.

MY favorite is the French Sci/ 1st officer She like a Female Patrick stewart. I think she would be popluar character, They woulkd be a EMH on the ship supported by a young Nurse whos the 1st officers best friend on the ship.

Yet if Trek ever done they want a BIG starship the size of the Classic ENTERPRISE. I doubt we see a 1,000 crew like the NCC1701D!

Merry Christmas to all my fellow starfleet officers!

RJDiogenes

#40 Post by RJDiogenes » December 22nd, 2012, 10:14 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :)

Maybe 2013 will see the return of good Trek to TV :)

Lowell

#41 Post by Lowell » December 24th, 2012, 6:57 pm

That would be nice yet I have a feeling it will be awhile before a series returns?

RJDiogenes

#42 Post by RJDiogenes » December 26th, 2012, 11:33 pm

Well, if the new Twilight Zone does well or looks good to the execs, that makes it more likely.

huggle

#43 Post by huggle » December 27th, 2012, 11:12 am

how are Twilight and Trek connected in the minds of the bosses?

Lowell

#44 Post by Lowell » December 27th, 2012, 7:42 pm

I see 3 directions Trek will go within the next decade.

1st a possiblity Starfleet Academy may be suggested again? what era I dont know.

2nd after JJ wraps up his 3 movies They will take the ship and props and base a series around that? (Thats the most realistic plan)

3rd, Totally invest in a future 31st century adventures something thta was planned after ENTERPRISE had it had a 7 season run. :(

Trek needs a NG type return to TV. Battles and spy missions might bring in action fans I still wish for a Stargate like crew on a small vessel.
I think it was called Galaxy Quest! :o

I think what RJ was saying is of one does well it could open the door for the others return? :unsure:

Huggle Got your card today!

Take care and TTYL

RJDiogenes

#45 Post by RJDiogenes » December 27th, 2012, 11:43 pm

huggle wrote:how are Twilight and Trek connected in the minds of the bosses?

Pretty much what Lowell said. Twilight Zone and Star Trek are both owned by CBS Studios, and they are currently developing a new version of Twilight Zone. So, first of all, if they are developing TZ that means they are in a mindset that's open to classic genre TV. Secondly, depending on how they are planning to market TZ (are they going to try it on CBS? The CW? Cable channels?), they might want a companion show to offer a full night of revived classic SF. Thirdly, if there is a lot of interest in the new TZ or it does well when it airs, that will encourage them to develop their other classic properties, like Trek. At least optimistically that could happen.

Lowell

#46 Post by Lowell » December 29th, 2012, 9:18 pm

It depends on how Well? :o the movie does in May.

IF its does really well a hit like the 1st one then they could be a push to do some kind of project. One thing that could happen if this movie does BETTER :shock: than the 1st bring in alot of new interest in the franchise that could give those wanting a series more power in negotiations.

Lowell

#47 Post by Lowell » January 23rd, 2013, 9:17 pm

Latest news is that Peter Weller character is CAPTAIN April who hasnt been seen in the trek universe since the Animated series in the 1970s!

I knew he played a starfleet officer.

Lowell

#48 Post by Lowell » February 12th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Well one good thing about this movie is new merchandise in the stores come this spring!

I am worried about the rumor of Khan being the villian "John Harrison"? was just to mislead the fans?

Im redoing my Trek RPG from the Movie era USS Chekov to TNG era on a NG Galaxy class! And its a mission of Diplomacy! Makes me long for the days of TNG.

RJDiogenes

#49 Post by RJDiogenes » February 13th, 2013, 12:04 am

I long for those days myself.

Lowell

#50 Post by Lowell » February 13th, 2013, 12:55 am

Im going to use the Chekov crew as supporting characters in the story.

Its a mission to Take a Federation Ambassador to a planet wanting to join the Federation yet things do go as planned as something happens and the crew has to save the day.

Im using a Galaxy class since its my ship in Stafleet and the crew Role playing it with me!

Im an OPS officer on the ship.

More later have a good day