Haven Season Season Three Discussion Thread

For all general Sci-fi and Fantasy discussions, be it books, TV or movies

Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Haven Season Season Three Discussion Thread

#1 Post by PhoenixHope » January 15th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Haven 3x12 "Reunion" & 3x13 "Thanks for the Memories"

So, I wasn't even gonna think about doing reviews for this one until next season, but then because of real life events the last couple episodes of Haven was delayed, and by that time I decided to go ahead and do a "test" run of other shows and so I decided to include Haven since out of the shows I'm doing these test runs for Haven is the one I love best. At least right now.

(Also, as mentioned in The Vampire Diaries description I'm putting this up a day early since I'm somewhat (almost, maybe, but hopefully not) in the direct path of some potential freezing rain. Obviously I'm hoping against freezing rain, or at least hoping it won't be enough to take down the power grid, but alas I don't think I'm in charge of those things, but right now I'm a-gonna cross my fingers and hope I'll be able to watch me shows this week.)

Haven 3x12 "Reunion"

Episode Description
(From Wikipedia)

The Haven High School should be a place for learning. But now, after a string of murders, it is a place for death. Nathan and Duke decide to return to their old school to help Audrey find whoever is responsible.
Written by Gabrielle Stanton

Haven 3x13 "Thanks for the Memories"

Episode Description
(From Wikipedia)

Audrey, Nathan and Duke must face off against the dastardly Bolt Gun Killer once and for all and do anything they can to halt Audrey's impending fate, or at the very least, come to terms with the fact that she could disappear forever.
Written by Sam Ernst & Jim Dunn
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: Haven Season Season Three Discussion Thread

#2 Post by RJDiogenes » January 16th, 2013, 11:58 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I'm going to watch them on Friday, after I'm home from the oral surgeon and have had time to pop some painkillers.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Haven 3x12 "Reunion" & 3x13 "Thanks for the Memories"

#3 Post by PhoenixHope » January 17th, 2013, 12:38 am

*grins* I'm working seconds (not thirds) tomorrow, so as soon as I get home these are probably the first things I'll watch even if the CW magically did come back up for me to DVR The Vampire Diaries.

Okay, no, I'll probably watch Stewart and Colbert first, but then Haven right after.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Haven 3x12 "Reunion" & 3x13 "Thanks for the Memories"

#4 Post by PhoenixHope » January 19th, 2013, 12:17 am

I don't really know what to say about these episodes, really, except that on a basic level they made me happy.

Honestly though I do have something to say, though it might come across as a wee bit insensitive. But basically this episode was delayed because of a real life school shooting and this episode had violence that took place inside a school, BUT the fictional violence in this episode didn't remotely resemble the real life event, so I remain perplexed why it had to be delayed.

Of course, I sometimes fall into the school of thought that if something isn't fit to be scene after a tragedy then maybe it's not fit to be scene at all.

And then, of course, the finale itself was delayed, and weirdly enough while the finale didn't take place inside a school there was actually more gun violence in the finale. But the finale itself (at least I don't think) wouldn't have been delayed by real life events it was only delayed because the episode before it was delayed.

But the finale just made my Audrey/Nathan/Duke shipper heart happy. Nathan finally realizes Duke also loves Audrey and wasn't just hanging around to piss him off. Then actually trusts him to protect her. Yes, I really smell a threesome, except sometimes I wonder if I might not be reading stuff into this that might not be intended.

Yes, there was other stuff happening that made me happy, but my shipper heart simply trumps all.

Though I do have one slight problem with it all. Audrey totally rejects killing one of the men she loves to save herself, and so I have trouble seeing Lucy saying "kill my son to save myself - you betcha!" So who shot James? Was it Lucy and is that why she saved him, because after shooting him she felt really really bad about it? And, no, I can't believe Arla would've shot James either - she's a creepy skeevy, but I don't doubt that she loved him.

And the weird brothers reveal - also awesome. It's like no matter who Audrey is she is destined to have threesome. YAY! Which makes me wonder about Lucy, really. She seems to have avoided a threesome because of her (or I guess Sarah's) son. Hey, that's it! That's why Lucy wasn't happy - she could've had a threesome with her son and his wife and then all would've been well there to.

Basically threesomes save the world. *grin*

Of course, to be honest most of the reveals in this episode was easy to spot coming. Of course, Nathan is James's father the show pretty much had that flashing in neon lights since Nathan went to the past. And, of course, there was something between Sarah and the weird brothers, though I admit I didn't think the show would ultimately reveal that to be a romantic something. Yeah, I thought there I might've been imposing my own something on the show and therefore misreading (if only slightly) some of those clues. Also, for some reason I've suspected from the moment Audrey and Duke discovered James was married to Arla that Arla was the mystery skin-walker.

Mostly though in addition to wondering who shot James I can't help but wonder how much Nathan's father knew. I remember early back he tried to warn Nathan off of Audrey, and that may lend evidence to support Lucy being the one to shot James, because how else would Garland know Nathan needed to stay far away from Audrey?

Okay that and I'm curious WHY Sarah/Lucy/Audrey always have to forget. I mean, seriously, if she would just remember what the consequences are for her staying (or trying to stay) each time then it seems it would make it much easier to get her into the barn each time.

So while these episodes answered lots of questions they didn't answer everything. Though some of the answers here make some of my theories wrong, I think. I was thinking that Sarah/Lucy/Audrey was the response to the troubles, but this episode made it seem like Audrey herself is the power behind the troubles.

My understanding is that Audrey herself is supressing the troubles for 27 years then she has to come out so the troubles will restart and she somehow uses the troubles of others to recharge herself so she can once again supress the troubles again at least for a short time. So if that's the case why can't Audrey stay longer giving herself a bigger charge to surpress the troubles that much longer.

Of course, then it doesn't make sense that the episode tried to make us believe Audrey isn't troubled, because how else would she be able to surpress the troubles which makes her look like the mother of the troubles which by default makes her troubled or makes her not human, which by the way was a good question for Audrey to ask and it pleased me that the show actually had her ask that.

So, I don't know, I think Howard was maybe not outright lying, but probably playing the cryptic wise guy card. But even then there's got to be a reason Audrey can't be allowed to remember, because it just seems to me things would go much smoother if she could remember each time.

Also, though why was the weird brothers so determined to hide the past from Audrey? I thought maybe it was because they (and Garland) was something like Watchers to Audrey's slayer, so to speak. Instead it played more that the love of (and then lose of) Sarah blinded both of them to some extent. Which again works for my shipper heart, but just seems like a cheat or something. I guess probably because I felt the cryptic three (and, no, Howard is not included, because he's in a level all his own) had more to do with what happens behind the curtain, again so to speak.

But again you'd think the cryptic three would realize what I have, and that if Audrey can't remember it would still make things ultimately go smoother in the end if she was just told what would/will happen if she stays or tries to stay.

RJDiogenes

#5 Post by RJDiogenes » January 19th, 2013, 11:50 pm

Holy cow, I loved this finale. :D It was certainly chock-full of stuff: The Bolt Gun Killer is the Colorado Kid's wife, we finally meet the Colorado Kid, Dave bonks Vince and Vince locks Dave up in the trunk, Audrey gets to watch her previous self have sex with Nathan, the Hunter Meteor Shower returns and pummels Haven, the barn returns, the interior of the barn is bigger on the inside and looks like an abstract 70s Sci Fi set, Audrey decides to leave with the barn, Vince turns out to be the boss of The Guard, Nathan precipitates a shoot-out that results in the deaths of the FBI guy and probably Jordan, gets himself shot, messes up whatever the barn is supposed to do, Duke gets sucked into the black hole of the barn (along with the corpse [?] of Colorado Kid's wife) and the meteor shower increases in intensity as a result.

Wow. And, yeah, these episodes gave us a ton of information, but I don't think they answered anything. :D Probably gave us even more questions. Who built the barn? How is it bigger on the inside? What exactly does it do? How are the meteors connected? Who or what is Howard? Who or what is Audrey? How did it all start?

I think there's a lot more to be told about the previous cycle. Next year, we'll probably have some more time travel to that one.

I'm so glad this show was renewed. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#6 Post by PhoenixHope » January 20th, 2013, 9:42 pm

HeHe!

It was so good, wasn't it?

And while I'm also glad Haven was renewed for another season I got to tell you with one or two tweaks this episode could've been an almost perfect series finale. The tweak? Nathan getting sucked into the barn along with Duke and Arla.

Well, that and the meteor shower ending along with the troubles, because then I could pretend while Audrey, Duke, and Nathan are having fun in the barn - Vince, Dave, and Dwight are spending their time trying to come up with a real solution to the troubles so that the next time "Audrey" returns they might have something that would allow "Audrey" to stop being the bandaid.

Seriously though I loved them so much I watched both episodes again last night.

RJDiogenes

#7 Post by RJDiogenes » January 21st, 2013, 12:13 am

You're right, that would have been an acceptable finale. I had a similar thought about Lost-- if the ending had been them going through the doors back to the island instead of some stupid Purgatory, then it would have been a perfectly good ambiguous, Prisoner-like ending. Instead they had to go ahead and ruin it....