Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Originals 1x16 "Farewell to Storyville"

#51 Post by PhoenixHope » March 10th, 2014, 8:07 pm

The Originals 1x16 "Farewell to Storyville"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

TRAPPED IN THE CITY OF THE DEAD — Despite Klaus’ rage, Elijah is determined to protect Rebekah while the three of them are trapped in the City of the Dead cemetery by a witch’s boundary spell. Klaus and Rebekah trade bitter accusations until Elijah steps in to reveal a long-held secret from the family’s past. Meanwhile, Marcel races to free Rebekah, ultimately finding himself forced to make a deal with Genevieve (guest star Elyse Levesque). Finally, Rebekah and Hayley connect over their shared concern for Hayley’s unborn baby.
Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Michael Narducci.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: The Originals Season One Discussion Thread

#52 Post by RJDiogenes » March 10th, 2014, 10:43 pm

A long-held secret from the past! Didn't see that coming. :D
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 1x16 "Farewell to Storyville"

#53 Post by PhoenixHope » March 12th, 2014, 6:14 pm

The Originals 1x16 Farewell to Storyville

So once again I'm stuck trying to come up with something to say about an episode. I think ultimately I liked the episode, but I'm torn because the episode ends with Bekka leaving, which makes sense for the character (and story) but makes me sad because I want MOAR Bekka on my screen.

Seriously, as Bekka was clearly having a blast driving out of town I kept expecting Klaus or Elijah to suddenly appear with a reason why she couldn't leave. I just hope she's headed back to Mystic Falls (I'm sadly lacking SPOILERS here) so I can continue to enjoy the character on my screen, and goodness knows given the promo for upcoming episodes of The Vampire Diaries that show really needs something to come up that I'd enjoy.

Okay, you know what I gotta end this, because I need to see if I can find some Bekka SPOILERS, because honestly I have little interest in watching Marcel and Klaus fight it out - that's how this show started and got boring fast. On the other hand, Elijah seemed like he might be trying to turn in to Klaus at the end of the episode, which could be interesting, but basically Bekka is the main character from The Originals that I enjoy so I'm not sure how much I'm really gonna be into this show without her, especially if Plec does as I fear and now try to turn The Originals into The Vampire Diaries by turning Elijah into Stefan, Klaus into Damon, and Hayley into Elena. And sadly you can't say the building blocks for that aren't already in place.

PS - The long held secret is that Bekka tried to kill their father because he was being "mean to Klaus" back before they became the originals.

PPS - Since that didn't take long I'm updating this instead of making a new post, but apparently Bekka really is gone, because apparently Plec feels Bekka's purpose is done her story is finished. UGH! And okay apparently it could be because the actress wanted to do movies or something, but the general consensus seems to be that something happened between Plec and Holt behind the scenes. Oh and it gets worse, but I'll take the rest to The Vampire Diaries thread. UGH! UGH! UGH!

Basically, now that I know this episode was Bekka's swan song I actually like it less than before, because for a characters final episode it just wasn't that good.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#54 Post by RJDiogenes » March 12th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Oh, that's too bad. If it's behind-the-scenes politics, then she won't be back on Vampire Diaries either.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#55 Post by PhoenixHope » March 13th, 2014, 4:34 pm

I don't know, after getting my knee-jerk reaction out of the way I remembered something. Holt was the last of The Originals cast to sign on, so now I'm wondering if maybe she only signed on to help launch the series and therefore was always only planning on being in a few episodes.

On the other hand, it's really weird that the actress as well as the people behind the show are maintaining radio silence on this (and is what keeps me thinking there might be more to this than the above). When something like this happened recently on Person of Interest (and no I don't watch the show, but the wanking was kinda epic and therefore hard to miss) the actress as well as the people behind the show quickly put the info out there that her characters storyline was always meant to go that way.

Basically, I don't know, but am kinda leaning toward something maybe having went pear shaped behind the scenes, because right now the show just doesn't have a female character that can go toe to toe with Klaus. Hayley has been there and tried that and the best she can do is sneak around. There's Cami, but Klaus tore through her mind like it was nothing. And okay there's the witches, but I've been bored with The Originals witch storyline since pretty much the start.
(But, yes, Devina hyped up witchness could stalemate Klaus, but that doesn't work now since Devina is f'ed up emotionally and presumably back to normal power-level wise now. Plus it just doesn't work because there isn't the connection there that was between Klaus and Rebakah.)

And even on the male side there's no male character presently that could stand toe to toe against Klaus. Sure they've set Marcel up to try, but like with Cami Klaus has already kicked Marcel's ass six ways from Sunday so if he can suddenly do more than sneak around Klaus that's not gonna feel organic to the story. And yes I know Elijah is still there, but Elijah is pretty much on Klaus's side, so not exactly gonna be a character that challenges him.

Basically, I think this show needs Rebekah or at the very least one more original, and not just because the show is called The Originals except now we're down to only two - and while the rest of the original vampires are dudes I think with the loss of Bekka they need to at least bring one of the others back - I'd say Kol (because the other I can name (Finn) was boring and uninteresting), but I'm almost sure I saw that his actor had signed on for the Supernatural spin-off, so basically The Originals are stuck with merely two original vampires now.

Now some have speculated they could bring back the originals mother, but for those that have watched The Vampire Diaries that would weird since her last mission was to kill her creations even more so than their father who I think just wanted to kill Klaus. And so it would be weird for her to come back yet again and not yet again take up that mission.

Ergo I think the show is going to miss Rebekah even more then maybe they realize.

RJDiogenes

#56 Post by RJDiogenes » March 13th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Yeah, there's really not many Originals, are there? They could probably bring back Mom and find some excuse for her to not want to kill them all. Or maybe they could create more Originals. They're Originals because they were created from humans by a spell right? Couldn't somebody do that again? Then there could be a second Originals family in conflict with the original Originals family.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#57 Post by PhoenixHope » March 14th, 2014, 12:13 am

I had actually thought about that. After all, mother witch original did kinda try that after all with Alaric. And so these new witches could decide that what better way to fight an original than with an original, but I sorta discarded that because it might feel like a rehash of an already done The Vampire Diaries storyline and the last thing The Originals needs to do is start rehashing stories/plots from The Vampire Diaries.

I mean it could come off more original (pardon the pun) I suppose, but another problem is that mother witch original made Alaric faster/stronger/better and it would be hard to see why she'd match the new ones with the old ones when she could just make stronger ones.

On the other hand, the other witches of the quarter wouldn't know that, so if the show could restrain itself from bringing mother witch original back it could work - the other witches could maybe only base the new off the old so it would be more evenly matched.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Originals 1x17 "Moon Over Bourbon Street"

#58 Post by PhoenixHope » March 17th, 2014, 8:25 pm

The Originals 1x17 "Moon Over Bourbon Street"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

UNNATURAL ALLIANCES — After accusing Klaus of doing nothing while their control over the Quarter crumbles, Elijah makes a move to take matters into his own hands. He receives an intriguing offer of support from Francesca (guest star Peta Sergeant), a beautiful woman from a powerful New Orleans family. In an attempt to bring the warring factions of the city together, the Mikaelsons throw an extravagant party, where Klaus offers Jackson (guest star Nathan Parsons) a tempting deal, Elijah and Hayely share a dance, and a violent fight comes to a surprising end. Finally, even as Marcel works on a new path to power, he continues to help Cami deal with her Uncle Kieran's tragedy (guest star Todd Stashwick).
Michael Robinson directed the episode written by Michelle Paradise & Christopher Hollier.

Sadly I realized shortly after last weeks episode that I'd rather watch "The Adventures of Rebekah" over "The Klaus/Marcel Show." However, I understand that's not an option, so I'll stay with this one until at least the end of this season and perhaps it will surprise me. Alas, I don't have high hopes.

RJDiogenes

#59 Post by RJDiogenes » March 17th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Cool title. If you don't recognize it, it was a song from Sting's first solo album, and it was inspired by Interview With A Vampire.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 1x17 "Moon Over Bourbon Street"

#60 Post by PhoenixHope » March 19th, 2014, 6:51 pm

The Originals 1x17 Moon Over Bourbon Street

I really don't know what to say about this episode, because it was kinda boring. And I don't really think that had anything to do with Rebekah being gone.

I suppose some would find the various paranormal factors coming together or trying to come together for some kind of peace interesting, but I have little interest in watching paranormal CSPAN I guess that would be PCSPAN. And coming up with that was more fun for me than anything in the episode itself was.

Meaning, and it's probably needless to say at this point, but I don't think this was a great (or even good) episode to have right before a month(ish) long break.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 1x18 "The Big Uneasy"

#61 Post by PhoenixHope » April 14th, 2014, 11:52 pm

The Originals 1x18 "The Big Uneasy"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

THE FEAST OF THE BLESSINGS — Genevieve (guest star Elyse Levesque) asks Elijah to allow her coven to publicly celebrate a traditional feast day, where members of the community offer the witches gifts in return for blessings. Monique (guest star Yasmine Al Bustami)) and Genevieve disagree over what the ancestors want from them, and Genevieve reveals her plan to build the witches power. When Elijah focuses his attention on restoring their home to its former glory, Klaus accuses him of doing it only to impress Hayley. Next, Klaus sets a new plan in motion by finding Cary (guest star Jesse Boyd), a werewolf from his own line, and sending him off to find a missing piece of family history. Marcel lets Thierry (guest star Callard Harris) in on his new plan to rebuild his power, but Diego (guest star Eka Darville) has his own ideas about the future. At the Feast of the Blessings, Monique and Genevieve try to use the ceremony to teach Davina a lesson, but Klaus intervenes and gives Davina a surprisingly important gift. While Hayley struggles to decide where her loyalties should lie, the ceremony explodes into violence. Leah Pipes also stars. Leslie Libman directed the episode written by Marguerite MacIntyre & Michael Russo.

RJDiogenes

#62 Post by RJDiogenes » April 15th, 2014, 10:37 pm

That's a very detailed description. You don't even need to watch the show now. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#63 Post by PhoenixHope » April 15th, 2014, 11:07 pm

Yeah, I've noticed that in the past when a CW show falls in the ratings instead of trying to fix (or telling showrunners to try and fix) whatever problem is driving the audience away they just go for bigger promos - they've done this since Gossip Girl.

And I guess I should clarify it's not any CW show this happens with, but with shows the CW really supports, and I really noticed it with GG but lately I've also seen it being done with The Vampire Diaries.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#64 Post by PhoenixHope » April 16th, 2014, 8:18 pm

The Originals 1x18 The Big Uneasy

Okay, so I'm still bummed that Rebekah's gone, but that's surprisingly not the biggest problem with the show right now. The biggest problem is that supernatural politics are not anymore interesting to watch than human ones, even when you consider the supernatural politics can more often than not lead to higher body counts.

I mean honestly Elijah took over, and yet we are still apparently going to be fighting over who controls New Orleans, and overall I just find it rather tedious. I mean I get why Marcel wouldn't just give up and walk away, but that just leaves me miffed that the show wrote him into that corner in the first place. I think I'd rather just watch the various factions try to work out a peace rather than having Marcel fighting to take the city back.

Then there's Klaus himself - I had more interest in him when he was being outright bad on The Vampire Diaries than I do for this almost watered down version of Klaus now. Instead of taking control of the city like he wanted the show has him instead off making side deals with the wolves. And the wolves (at present) are little more than cliché thugs, so very little interest there, except to hope those sons-of-bitches don't end up with wolf controlling rings.

Would I have found this episode better if Rebekah was in it? Hard to say, because if she was still there the story of the episode would've at least been slightly different, which would've made the episode itself slightly different. But the whole thing could've still been as tedious even had Rebekah had been a part of it. And again there's still the issue of not having a female character that can stand toe to toe with the male originals now. I think they may be grooming Hayley for this by making her leader of the wolves, but for this to end up working they need to make the damn wolves more than simple thugs. Plus I'm just not sure the actress has the something to pull it off, the only real reason it half-way works now is because she's preggers, but once the baby's out she's (or the writers) are gonna have to play it carefully, because at that point Klaus would (or should, though the show is currently trying to turn him into a werewolf fan) have little vested interest in keeping her alive.

RJDiogenes

#65 Post by RJDiogenes » April 16th, 2014, 11:08 pm

That baby is going to be in college by the time it's born.

And calling Werewolves sons-of-bitches amuses me. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#66 Post by PhoenixHope » April 17th, 2014, 5:26 am

8)

To be honest, I started to change it before posting, but decided the phrasing worked.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Originals 1x19 "An Unblinking Death"

#67 Post by PhoenixHope » April 22nd, 2014, 10:23 pm

The Originals 1x19 "An Unblinking Death"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

THE BREAKING POINT — Desperate to help Kieran (guest star Todd Stashwick), Cami insists on an unconventional treatment, but her good intentions lead Kieran to a violent episode. After Klaus and Elijah disagree over the best way to handle the Crescent Wolves, Elijah makes a trip to the bayou, where he is witness to a horrific explosion that only adds to the hatred and mistrust among the communities. While Jackson (guest star Nathan Parsons) and Elijah work to save the wounded, Hayley learns a surprising piece of her family history from Marcel. Kellie Cyrus directed the episode written by Ashley Lyle & Bart Nickerson.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 1x19 "An Unblinking Death"

#68 Post by PhoenixHope » April 23rd, 2014, 5:37 pm

Well, I didn't hate this episode and it didn't bore me. On the other hand, I can't say I loved it either. And that's about all I really have to say about this episode.

Yeah, I know, usually when I say that I end up going into more detail than expected, but this time the only other thing I can think of to say is that while this episode tried to give some layers to the werewolves (to make them come off as more than thugs) that mostly fails, because by the end of the episode they (the writers) have the wolves following the wolf that staged the attack on the wolves.

Yes, one can see how that could happen, but in this case that actor/character just ain't good/interesting enough to pull this story off and give the character layers - he's just a thug taking power from the scared and the whole thing is more tedious than anything else.

RJDiogenes

#69 Post by RJDiogenes » April 23rd, 2014, 10:09 pm

I guess Werewolves will always be portrayed as savages and Vampires as slimy schemers. Which makes sense to a certain degree.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Originals 1x20 "A Closer Walk With Thee"

#70 Post by PhoenixHope » April 29th, 2014, 9:05 pm

The Originals 1x20 "A Closer Walk With Thee"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

A CELEBRATION OF LIFE — Hayley confronts a surprising enemy as she and her unborn baby fall into peril during a celebratory wake to honor a fallen member of the community. In order to save Hayley, Klaus and Elijah enlist the help of Genevieve (guest star Elyse Levesque) who struggles to maintain control over Davina and the other young witches. Cami tells Marcel that Francesca (guest star Peta Sargent) is determined to find a mysterious key that may unlock a family secret. Meanwhile, as Klaus suffers from nightmares of his father Mikael (guest star Sebastian Roche), he is forced to examine his troubled relationship with his own adoptive son, Marcel.
Sylvain White directed the episode written by Carina Adly MacKenzie & Julie Plec.

RJDiogenes

#71 Post by RJDiogenes » April 29th, 2014, 10:57 pm

Given the length of this pregnancy, I'm beginning to think that Originals has a 24-like format, with each episode taking up an hour of real time and each season lasting one day. Which means that, assuming the show keeps getting renewed, Hayley will be pregnant until approximately 2284. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 1x20 "A Closer Walk With Thee"

#72 Post by PhoenixHope » April 30th, 2014, 6:37 pm

The Originals 1x20 A Closer Walk With Thee

Another not bad episode, but also another one where I just don't have lots to say about either. Seriously, this one might have been the best since Rebekah left.

So lets jump in, shall we...

The Priest is dead and Klaus is dreaming of the funeral only instead of the Priest in the coffin it's his very much alive new baby. Klaus is happy until his "father" stabs him in the back.

Now Klaus assumes what we all do (but considering what's going on in Mystic Falls, perhaps we should not have assumed things) that he's worried he's gonna be a big a prick to his new baby as his "father" was to him, except Elijah pops up to inform us that he's also been dreaming about daddy dearest.

Look I didn't say it was the best episode ever just possibly the best one since Rebekah left. On the other hand, I could be biased because it was just damn nice to get a break from SCSPAN, though it is weird (in a not bad way, I suppose) that they chose to break up SCSPAN with a funeral episode, but at least the end does leave us with some interesting potential.

Mikael wants to live again and he's trying to talk Divina into making that happen. And, hey, I said this show could use more originals I had just assumed somehow mama original would come back instead we may be gonna get original father instead.

Oh and forever pregnant Hayley not only makes a joke about the length of her pregnancy, but also ends up moving back into Klaus-House by the end of the episode for safety reasons. Basically because young not Divina witch tries to kill Hayley with a spell in this episode and old witch who drove Rebekah away actually helps and then even more shocking she begs the dead witches not to make her kill Hayley's baby, because it's just a baby and she doesn't want to become that kind of monster, but the dead witches insist and with blood tears in her eyes she agrees.

RJDiogenes

#73 Post by RJDiogenes » April 30th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Hmm. If Mikael comes back and turns people, will the people he turns be Originals?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Originals 1x21 "The Battle of New Orleans"

#74 Post by PhoenixHope » May 5th, 2014, 9:18 pm

The Originals 1x21 "The Battle of New Orleans"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

Klaus and Elijah enact a plan to collect the sacred stones needed by Genevieve (guest star Elyse Levesque) in order to forever change the fates of Hayley and the werewolf community. Realizing that Klaus’ plan will lead to the extermination of all French Quarter vampires, Marcel rallies an army determined to take down the Mikaelsons and regain control of the city. Davina warns Josh (guest star Steven Krueger) to leave town as she is forced to make a fateful decision that will turn the tide of war. Meanwhile, Francesca (guest star Peta Sargent) threatens Cami, who attempts to decipher a code that results in a surprising revelation among the city’s factions.
Jeffrey Hunt directed the episode written by Charlie Charbonneau & Michael Narducci.

RJDiogenes

#75 Post by RJDiogenes » May 5th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Interesting. I wonder what will happen to the Werewolves