Supernatural Season Ten Episode Discussion Thread!

For all general Sci-fi and Fantasy discussions, be it books, TV or movies

Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural Season Ten Episode Discussion Thread!

#1 Post by PhoenixHope » October 3rd, 2014, 11:30 pm

So I started to post this in The Vampire Diaries thread because officially it's not season ten stuff, and I wasn't quite ready to start the season ten discussion thread, but then this news has less to do with The Vampire Diaries sixth season than it does Supernatural's tenth season.

So after typing the post I said "screw it I'll start the thread since this relates more to season ten of Supernatural than season six of The Vampire Diaries."

What am I babbling about? Why the news that TNT is going above and beyond in their effort to help the launch of Supernatural's tenth season.

via press release:

BINGE WATCHING ALERT:

TNT to Air Supernatural Season 9 Marathon

In Build Up to Season 10

As Supernatural fans await the season premiere of their wickedly favorite show, TNT is giving viewers the chance to binge watch the entire ninth season. TNT will kick off its season 9 marathon Monday, Oct. 6, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT), airing all 23 episodes of the season up until the the launch of season 10 the following night.

So, it starts on Monday, Oct. 6 @ 10 p.m. (9 p.m. CST) with I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here and ends on Tuesday, Oct. 7 @ 8 p.m. (7 p.m. CST) after airing the finale Do You Believe in Miracles.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural "A Very Special Supernatural Special" (SPECIAL)

#2 Post by PhoenixHope » October 6th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Supernatural A Very Special Supernatural Special

Episode Description
(From Zap2it)

A behind-the-scenes look at the first nine seasons; interviews with cast and crew.

NOTE: This is a special on Monday night following the season premiere of The Originals and not the first episode of the season. The next one (coming tomorrow) will be for the season premiere that will air on Tuesday night following the series premiere of The Flash.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 10x01 "Black"

#3 Post by PhoenixHope » October 7th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Supernatural 10x01 "Black" (Season Premiere)

Episode Description
(From Zap2it)

Sam tries to figure out what has happened to Dean, who is now a demon running around with Crowley.

PS - I haven't watched the whole special yet, but it's not an episode it really is just a look back over the past seasons with comments from the peanuts gallery. And so I probably won't watch it until tomorrow since today I need to watch Sleepy Hollow and The Originals.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 10x01 "Black"

#4 Post by PhoenixHope » October 8th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Supernatural 10x01 Black

Disappointed I think sums up my thoughts on the Supernatural season premiere. Sadly it wasn't all bad, but it wasn't really that good either. Despite Demon Dean being hyped up it was Crowley who stole the episode, and yet even Crowley was a bit disappointing here. Sure he got some great lines, but underneath it all was that feeling that Crowley was being less than he should be. Hello, King of Hell and yet we're stuck figuratively speaking watching him try to get in Dean's pants.

I mean I don't want to unleash on this episode, because it wasn't all bad as I said it's just that it could've been so much better. And I guess after the hyping of Demon Dean I was expecting more -- just more. Honestly Demon Dean doesn't seem that different from Dean Dean - only the bit at the end where he doesn't give a shit about Damsel in Distress Sam was drastically different.

Then I realized I was probably expecting to much, because this is a television show and they almost always puss out when it comes to making one of the main characters truly dark. So I think we can't expect much more from Demon Dean than we got in this episode, because since it seems clear Dean will be back at some point they don't want to risk having Dean be truly naughty.

So in the end the only thing I'm not actually feeling some disappointment over about the season opener is Sam. After two seasons Sam finally seems like Sam again. But after two seasons I find myself wondering how Carver will make this into a bad thing.

And I know I'm forgetting something. Oh right the Angel subplot which I mean continues from last seasons Cass story, but the Angel bits in this episode was just almost entirely forgettable, except for the fact that somehow Hannah worked some kind of voodoo which had Cass on the wrong side. I mean since when would Cass be trying to "enslave" an Angel yearning to break free, and what the hell does it really matter anyway? Seriously, why do Hannah and the heaven-bound need all the Angels to return to heaven? Questions you think would be something one would need/want addressed, but as I said that whole side plot was entirely forgettable except for the fact that Cass seemed a bit out of character, which I'm sure is leading nowhere and I simply don't care about the rest of it.

RJDiogenes

Re: Supernatural Season Ten Episode Discussion Thread!

#5 Post by RJDiogenes » October 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm

Of course I haven't seen it yet, being behind and all. I'll catch it on On Demand. Probably Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to catch the special on the weekend (if it's on On Demand).
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 10x02 "Reichenbach"

#6 Post by PhoenixHope » October 13th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Supernatural 10x02 "Reichenbach"

Episode Description
(From Zap2it)

Crowley notices Dean's increasing level of aggression; a vengeful man captures and tortures Sam.

RJDiogenes

#7 Post by RJDiogenes » October 13th, 2014, 10:00 pm

^^ Once again a capsule description describes the prior episode of a show. :D

So, yeah, Demon Dean doesn't seem like much of a demon. More like Dean on vacation. Except for abandoning Sam. I wonder if he can be summoned.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 10x02 "Reichenbach"

#8 Post by PhoenixHope » October 15th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Supernatural 10x02 Reichenbach

Well, it's official - I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT COLE! Seriously, despite the potential Sam torture I caught myself reaching for the FF button during the teaser because Cole was just talking too damn much rather than getting to the business that I think we all wanted to see which is (of course) a spot of tortured Sam.

But seriously the potential for Sam torture was the only thing that kept me from hitting the button so now I just really feel like Cole needs to find himself taking a long walk off a short pier over shark infested water while he's bleeding profusely.

The other way this show tried to make Dean and the version of him that can flick to black eyes different is to have Dean not caring about the Impala, which I gotta admit hit me a whole lot harder than Dean not caring about Sam in trouble, but still it just seems kinda stupid that the only way the show has made Dean different is not caring about Sam and the Impala - oh he's so badass and demonic. And, yeah, I get that he's kicking ass, but it's not like we haven't seen that before so...

I think the best part of this episode was also the dumbest - after Dean breaks up with Crowley we see Crowley just sitting there are all sad and shit looking at a pic of him and Dean. So looks like I was right Crowley just wanted in Dean's pants. And that bothers me because I always kinda thought Crowley was more about Sam.

And again there was a whole side bit with the angels which was only slight less boring in this episode than it was in the premiere. Okay, next to the bits in the premiere this was downright engaging, but that's still damning with faint praise. Still I was less inclined to FF through the angel bits than I was the Cole bits so that's something.

RJDiogenes

#9 Post by RJDiogenes » October 15th, 2014, 11:15 pm

I wonder if Crowley is still affected by that humanizing spell from last year. Or I guess two years ago.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#10 Post by PhoenixHope » October 16th, 2014, 12:17 am

Well, in the words of Cordy he needs to spank his inner moppet and get the hell over it already. Seriously, he's quickly becoming tedious and Crowley is many things but tedious should not be one of them.

RJDiogenes

#11 Post by RJDiogenes » October 16th, 2014, 10:27 pm

He did seem a little soft. I kept expecting him to kill those two assistants because they had seen him let Dean push him around. And it was funny to see him mooning over the iPhone pics of him and Dean, but I'm thinking, yeah, he might be really serious when he makes those cute little Gay remarks. :D

Meanwhile, I think Dean was definitely acting more demonic this week. Not caring about the Impala, threatening Sam.

And I wonder if Cass is going to end up with Megatron's grace. Either that or his new girlfriend will sacrifice herself.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#12 Post by PhoenixHope » October 16th, 2014, 11:39 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:And I wonder if Cass is going to end up with Megatron's grace. Either that or his new girlfriend will sacrifice herself.

Probably, but just taking another Angel's grace is not a long-term solution for him because it would just burn out again. Unless our favorite LOL!Canon team decide to ignore their own bits of canon from last season.

RJDiogenes wrote:I'm thinking, yeah, he might be really serious when he makes those cute little Gay remarks. :D

I've always thought he was gay or at least swung both ways, but mostly Crowley has always seemed kinda gay to me.

RJDiogenes wrote:Meanwhile, I think Dean was definitely acting more demonic this week. Not caring about the Impala, threatening Sam.

I guess, but it's still disappointing, because again I momentarily forgot this was a broadcast show and so therefore Demon Dean would of course be watered down.

RJDiogenes

#13 Post by RJDiogenes » October 17th, 2014, 11:02 pm

I wonder if they're just playing at cool at first, showing us that Demon Dean is not so bad, just a party dude, helping damsels in distress, and then they're going to shock us with something really bad.

PhoenixHope wrote:Probably, but just taking another Angel's grace is not a long-term solution for him because it would just burn out again. Unless our favorite LOL!Canon team decide to ignore their own bits of canon from last season.

If Megatron was telling the truth, and a bit of Cass's grace still exists, and Megatron has absorbed it, then Cass might be cured if he ate Megatron.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 10x03 "Soul Survivor"

#14 Post by PhoenixHope » October 22nd, 2014, 5:10 pm

Supernatural 10x03 "Soul Survivor"

Episode Description
(From Zap2it)

Sam works to save Dean from the mark of Cain; Crowley seeks the help of an unexpected ally.

PS - Again, I know this is horribly late, but it's not my fault.

PPS - Yes, I watched the episode and to be honest it wasn't a bad one, but the big thought I come away with was that I'm not sure I want Depressing Dean is Depressed back. Granted at the end of this episode he didn't seem depressed, but Dean's been depressed for years upon years at this point (since season four really) and I'm afraid especially since Demon Dean tried to kill (or at least torture) Sam we'll now be back to Depressing Dean is Depressed.

Well, and the fact that I was right that somehow despite Dean having been a demon Carver is doing his best to make Sam seem the bad guy in all this. FAITH, people - I had the faith he could do it, and you doubted me.

Still even that was disappointing because I thought maybe Carver was about to amaze me with a twist of Sam having gone back on the demon blood in his efforts to find Crowley and Dean. But nope Sam just set up some poor bastard for a demon deal and even then Sam didn't mean for the guy to actually make the deal just call up the demon so Sam could question it. Dude made his own choice to make the damn deal so I gots very little sympathy for him, and the fact that his deal involved the killing of someone else takes away the rest of the sympathy I'd have had.

PPSS - Okay, fine after the second PS I don't know the next actual one, but whatevs - At the start of my enforced downtime (I'm starting to suspect my phone company believes I need a life away from the internets) I rewatched the first few episodes and something caught my attention that I missed before - Crowley said they'd all been demons, but I do not recall Sam having been a demon - he's been possessed twice (once by Meg and then Lucifer, who's not actually a demon) but I don't recall a time when Sam himself was a demon. Clearly I have missed some super secret episodes of Supernatural that I do believe I'd love to see.

RJDiogenes

#15 Post by RJDiogenes » October 22nd, 2014, 11:20 pm

Well, he was demonish. He was a demon blood junkie. And stuff.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 10x03 "Soul Survivor"

#16 Post by PhoenixHope » October 23rd, 2014, 12:56 am

You know I just noticed an interesting misspelling in one of your previous posts.

So, if I'm going by your post a transformer somehow found Metatron and sucked out whatever was left of Castiel's grace and now Cas has to go suck his grace from an exhaust pipe or what might pass for the penis of a transformer.

Man, that'd be awesome!

RJDiogenes wrote:Well, he was demonish. He was a demon blood junkie. And stuff.

And, yeah, I know that, but as far as I know that never actually made Sam a demon.

RJDiogenes

#17 Post by RJDiogenes » October 23rd, 2014, 11:02 pm

I did the Megatron thing on purpose. On one of the boards I go to, calling him Megatron is a running gag. I thought it was here. :blush:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#18 Post by PhoenixHope » October 24th, 2014, 12:49 am

*shrugs*

No big deal, but I've only ever called him Metatron or mostly Metabore.

RJDiogenes

#19 Post by RJDiogenes » October 24th, 2014, 10:44 pm

I wonder where it is then. Or maybe it's just my head canon. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 10x04 "Paper Moon"

#20 Post by PhoenixHope » October 27th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Supernatural 10x04 "Paper Moon"

Episode Description
(From my DishGuide)

A series of attacks lead to a surprising culprit -- a werewolf named Kate who was left alive by Sam and Dean.

And sadly I'm betting this will not bite them on their very nice asses as it should.

RJDiogenes

#21 Post by RJDiogenes » October 28th, 2014, 11:03 pm

I kind of hope it doesn't. I like the idea that there can be good monsters.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 10x04 "Paper Moon"

#22 Post by PhoenixHope » October 29th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Supernatural 10x04 Paper Moon

Okay, so I went into this episode expecting not to like it since I didn't really care at all about the episode of Kate's origins. Now admittedly this episode was much better than that one, but overall aside from the Dean/Sam bits at the beginning and their nice little ~feelings~ talk somewhere in the middle (I don't know who wrote this episode, but I certainly like the way they do Dean and Sam) I still can't say I really cared even though at the end of all things Kate is probably a better person than either Dean or Sam. But then again I like it when Dean and Sam are shitty people who put each other above literally everyone else, so...

Seriously, though I suspect this whole thing was meant to be a lessen to Dean and Sam that I think they completely missed anyway, because lets face it they've done so much worse in their quest to keep the other alive (and it's awesome when those happen), but it's like Carver still thinks the audience wants Dean and Sam to become emotionally happy well rounded people when mostly I don't think we do. Granted I'm biased here since I sure as hell don't, but I think a lot of the audience feels the same way I do - Dean and Sam are at their best when their so into the other that they can't see anything else. And, no, I don't mean that in a shippy way. But I get the feeling Carver does not share this - I'm starting to think Carver thinks Dean and Sam are at their best when they're in the process of pulling away from each other, and for me that's almost always when the show is at its worst.

To be honest, though there was one part in the episode where I thought Sam was gonna help werewolf sister escape, because it did seem at moments during the episode Sam could see the Dean and Sam in Kate and what's her name, because how many people have Dean and Sam killed? And you know there's no way (or at least I hope there's never no way) Dean and/or Sam is ever going to kill the other for their crimes.

One other interesting thing - did Dean's eyes turn black while they was driving down the road toward Kate and sister wolf, because I was sure they did, but when I went back it's damn hard to tell because the set is so damn dark. But that could be interesting if Dean's still more than a little demon. On the other hand, I suspect that if it was anything it was probably just a fake out that'll lead nowhere.

Still despite the awesome Dean and Sam moments in this episode this probably wasn't the best episode to happen before a week break.

RJDiogenes

#23 Post by RJDiogenes » October 29th, 2014, 10:58 pm

I didn't notice any black eyes, but I did wonder that the easy resolution to the Deanmon story might be a fake out. So maybe.

I knew Kate wouldn't be the killer when they didn't show her face in the teaser. And that's fine with me. I like the idea of good monsters out there, like Kate and Garth.

Overall, it was a good episode, although stories like this make me wonder why Cass can't lift curses with his magic. But the best part was the final scene when Dean said that he wants to do some good because he's tired of doing bad.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural "A Very Special Supernatural Special" (SPECIAL)

#24 Post by PhoenixHope » November 4th, 2014, 1:22 am

This week because of elections the CW will be encoring A Very Supernatural Special (SPECIAL)

So if you missed it here's your chance to catch it.

RJDiogenes wrote:I didn't notice any black eyes, but I did wonder that the easy resolution to the Deanmon story might be a fake out. So maybe.

I rewatched it and I think it was my shitty signal, because the screen sorta freezes and then starts again and I think that's what made me think his eyes flashed black.

RJDiogenes

#25 Post by RJDiogenes » November 4th, 2014, 11:42 pm

Cool. I did miss it, so here's my chance. :)