The Originals Season Two Episode Discussion Thread

For all general Sci-fi and Fantasy discussions, be it books, TV or movies

Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Originals Season Two Episode Discussion Thread

#1 Post by PhoenixHope » October 6th, 2014, 9:22 pm

The Originals 2x01 "Rebirth" (Season Premiere)

Episode Description
(From Zap2it)

Klaus brings Elijah and Marcel in to help plan his revenge against the Guerrera werewolves.

I'm iffy about this whole werewolf plot since the previous one didn't have much appeal to me. Plus back in the day I hated The Vampire Diaries werewolf plot, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 2x01 "Rebirth"

#2 Post by PhoenixHope » October 7th, 2014, 10:00 pm

The Originals 2x01 Rebirth

So since I'm so busy today I admittedly don't have time to do a proper review - but despite my doubts this was a bitchin (in an awesome way) season premiere, so I'm in for the whole season, baby!
(Or at least the whole first half.)

It doesn't hurt that mother and father original are back, and that Davina may be able to break the bloodlines that tie lower vampires back to their original sire - meaning that if she's right you could suddenly kill an original without killing all vampires that link back to them - she's also got daddy original on a leash until she can unlink normal vamps from the original bloodlines. Sadly not an actual leash.

HOWEVER, not only are mommy and daddy original back so is Bekka who at the beginning of the episode summed up the first season in a story to the baby and a recap to the audience, but she's not back in New Orleans, but in a twisty twist Finn and Kol (two original brothers) are also back. Sadly one wouldn't know this had mommy not named them near the end of the episode since daddy original is the only one who's back in his original (do you see what I did there?) body.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: The Originals Season Two Episode Discussion Thread

#3 Post by RJDiogenes » October 8th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Well, it's quite interesting that Bekka is back. Looks like TPTB realized how necessary she is.

It sounds like the whole family has been resurrected at this point, but Finn and Kol are played by new actors?
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 2x01 "Rebirth"

#4 Post by PhoenixHope » October 9th, 2014, 12:35 am

To be fair, the more I think about it the more I feel like her leaving was for plot related reasons instead behind the scenes drama.

Think about it - Team Klaus needed someone to take the baby and Bekka was the logical choice for that rather than having to intro some stranger for that purpose.
(And that could be why everyone including the actress was fairly mum on reasons for leaving.)

Though, as I said, she's not back back. She was just talking to the miracle baby during the time where normally it would've been a "previously on The Originals" segment.

And, yeah, the whole family is back, but mommy, Finn, and Kol are in new bodies instead of their original ones.

RJDiogenes

#5 Post by RJDiogenes » October 9th, 2014, 11:25 pm

So... not the original Originals. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Originals 2x02 "Alive and Kicking"

#6 Post by PhoenixHope » October 12th, 2014, 6:32 pm

The Originals 2x02 "Alive and Kicking"

Episode Description
(From Zap2it)

Klaus encourages Hayley to regain her position within her pack; a meeting arouses suspicion.

RJDiogenes

#7 Post by RJDiogenes » October 12th, 2014, 10:18 pm

Hayley has done well at surviving the birth of the baby. I figured she'd be a goner once she was no longer needed.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 2x02 "Alive and Kicking"

#8 Post by PhoenixHope » October 14th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Sadly because of clouds, rain, and then severe weather coverage I was only able to see about half of this episode (and the last fifteen minutes were gone entirely) - not enough in my opinion to do a proper review. However, I can say what I did see of it I didn't entirely hate.

Mostly I saw the bits of Hayley channeling her inner Klaus which pushed Elijah even closer to being the male version of Elena -- Our blessed saint of man pain and tears.

There was also a bit with Divina where she reveals that she isn't trying to break the original bloodlines so much as trying to make sure two of her nearest and dearest won't be dragged down with Klaus.

RJDiogenes

#9 Post by RJDiogenes » October 14th, 2014, 10:58 pm

So is breaking the bloodlines the way she will do that, or can she selectively disconnect individual Vampires?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 2x02 "Alive and Kicking"

#10 Post by PhoenixHope » October 15th, 2014, 7:21 pm

From what she said she seems to think she can simply remove Marcel and her "boyfriend" from the bloodline without separating all the vampires from the bloodline, which means she can't be right, because when/if Klaus dies The Vampire Diaries would be over, which would be an ending I'd love, but in this case I think that means she's gonna have to do all of them or The Originals will never be able to kill Klaus, or at least never until the CW or the people behind The Vampire Diaries are ready for The Vampire Diaries to end.

RJDiogenes

#11 Post by RJDiogenes » October 15th, 2014, 11:17 pm

Yeah, that pretty much renders him invulnerable. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#12 Post by PhoenixHope » October 16th, 2014, 12:12 am

Yeah, I was thinking about that, and while it wouldn't kill every character on The Vampire Diaries it would take out all the main characters except Bonnie and Jeremy (okay and Matt too, but who cares about Matt?) and Alaric (does he count as a main character?). Seriously, though Damon, Stefan, Caroline, and Elena would be wiped out. Yes, in the old days Tyler would've been too, but I'm assuming since he reverted from hybrid to werewolf all the way back to human he'd now be okay.

RJDiogenes

#13 Post by RJDiogenes » October 16th, 2014, 10:22 pm

How did Alaric get vamped anyway?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#14 Post by PhoenixHope » October 16th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Mommy Original turned him into a vampire's vampire hunter, but tied his "life" to Elena's so that when Alaric finished killing mommy's children he could be locked away while Elena lived her life and then would die when she did. And, of course, as we know Elena died by drowning and so Alaric died, but that was mostly so he could go star in the now defunct Cult.

But that basically makes Alaric an original, which means he might survive, unless he's still connected to Elena - if so then Klaus dying and killing Elena would kill Alaric. Otherwise if the original family was wiped out Alaric might possibly be the only vampire left in existence.

RJDiogenes

#15 Post by RJDiogenes » October 17th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Hah. That's cool. They should do an alternate reality story where Alaric is the only Vampire left. 8)

Except for his own progeny, of course.

Hmm. I wonder if a Vampire died from their Original being killed with Alaric's blood in them, if they would re-Vamp as an Alaric progeny.

Probably not. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Originals 2x03 "Every Mother's Son"

#16 Post by PhoenixHope » October 22nd, 2014, 4:55 pm

The Originals 2x03 "Every Mother's Son"

Episode Description
(From Zap2it)

Elijah and Klaus prepare for the worst after receiving a cryptic invitation from Esther.

PS - Yes, I know this is horribly late, but I didn't have access to the internet to post this on Sunday as I usually would've.

PPS - Also, I haven't yet had the time to watch this episode, so no review.

RJDiogenes

#17 Post by RJDiogenes » October 22nd, 2014, 11:11 pm

I know how Elijah and Klaus feel. I always prepare for the worst when I get an invitation, too. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 2x03 "Every Mother's Son"

#18 Post by PhoenixHope » October 25th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Nope still haven't watched. I'm hoping I'll get to it tonight after work or tomorrow after work, but then I'm still somehow behind this time around, because I still haven't gotten to American Horror Story, though my skipping on that one almost makes sense to me because while it's not bad this season it's just not doing it for me either (I think it's the clown - I've never been scared of clowns so this show focusing on him so much is just kinda boring to me, and his teaming up with the whinny little loser isn't helping).

I also still have some Once Upon A Times and a couple The Walking Deads, but after watching my usual shows last night and finally getting the Pretty Little Liars special watched last night The Originals will probably take priority tonight, and then probably The Walking Dead because I want to season if season two does it for me a bit better than one did.

RJDiogenes

#19 Post by RJDiogenes » October 25th, 2014, 9:13 pm

I haven't had a chance to watch American Horror Story at all, except for the first five minutes of episode one.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 2x03 "Every Mother's Son"

#20 Post by PhoenixHope » October 26th, 2014, 6:16 pm

The Originals 2x03 Every Mother's Son

RJDiogenes wrote:I know how Elijah and Klaus feel. I always prepare for the worst when I get an invitation, too. :D

Well, in fairness their mother sent them a buffet, and then birds flew out of it informing them that they'd be having dinner at their place (Klaus and Elijah's not mothers) so it's understandable why they freaked fuck out.

Anyway, momma is body jumping so Elijah wants to find a witch that can at least mark a new body when momma jumps in, because they need a damn scorecard to keep up with all the changes.

Basically, because mommy loves her babies so much she's gonna take them apart piece by piece until they beg her for help and because she loves them so damn much she'll help them.

Pretty much mommy dearest is really mommy dearest.

Also, she offered to help Hayley by (I think) making her human or at the very least making her not a hybrid anymore. Hayley was tempted, but Hayley kinda hates momma because of the whole deal with the witches and her baby. Though she might take up the offer if she knew that momma probably would "fix" her just because it would hurt Klaus and Elijah.

Oh and Marcel has a big plan to make a big ol' family of vampires by getting Elijah to play daddy to a newbie vampire.

Not a bad episode, but it was hurt (through no fault of its own) because of the lack of me being able to watch last week, because for example everyone seems to know daddy original is back and some time last week they clearly also discovered mother was back, but basically I was left feeling like I'd missed a few things, which since I had made sense.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Originals 2x04 "Live and Let Die"

#21 Post by PhoenixHope » October 26th, 2014, 6:26 pm

And while I'm here I might as well go ahead and post this since the new episode airs tomorrow night.

The Originals 2x04 "Live and Let Die"

Episode Description
(From my DishGuide)

In hopes of avoiding Klaus, Davina takes Mikael to her family's cabin; Josh opens up to an ally.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 2x04 "Live and Let Die"

#22 Post by PhoenixHope » October 28th, 2014, 5:29 pm

The Originals 2x04 Live and Let Die

I suppose first and foremost I must issue a correction - the fellow I've been calling Davina's boyfriend is apparently a dyed in the wool homosexual and therefore not her boyfriend.

Anyway, the guy I thought was Ds boyfriend sets up a date, but oops it's with a wolf and he's a vampire so you know Romeo and Juliette all gayed up, and the wolves declare war and they mean it. But at the end of the episode they decide to ignore all the vampire/werewolf stuff and just have a really long weekend, or something like that.

Before that the now human (witches are still human) members of the original family -- speaking of that's apparently what mommy original wants - she really doesn't want to kill her kids just their bodies and put them in new ones so they can be a big happy non-vampire family -- decided that all the potential werewolves should kill enemies and awaken their curse. And when I say enemies I mean enemies of mommy dearest and not enemies of the wolves.

Well, since the potential werewolves are mostly pre-teen or below this upsets the wolves that had previously (in this episode) declared war on vampires and so what do the wolves do? Well, Hayley in a bold effort to save everyone goes to the head wolf and makes him come to the vampires asking for help to save the children.

And so they do so, but while it would've been a nice bonus mommy didn't give two shits about the baby potential wolves it was all a trap to get her hands on Elijah. And I mean really I can understand I'd like to get my hands on him too, but I don't care if he's human or not. :evil:

Anyway, this episode was pretty good all over - Kol (one of the originals) is playing at being Ds boyfriend so when she's overwhelmed mentally by original daddy (who's still in his original body and also still a vampire just so you know) she calls him for help. He comes but doesn't seem to care about daddy (nor does daddy seem to know this is his son) he just wants to get his hands on the stake for mommy.

And Klaus just wants to prove he's all manly man by killing his daddy - again. This leads to a moment between Cami and Klaus and while Cami bored me all last season she's actually not quite so uninteresting so for this season. So, Klaus tracks down Ds and daddy's hiding place, but Kol gets there first and D is knocked out so even though Klaus is standing without screaming for her to send daddy on out she can't hear him, and Kol because he promised (and because daddy'll kill him if he doesn't) breaks the spell keeping daddy on a leash and so daddy goes outside to grant Klaus's wish.

They fight, but again Klaus gets the better of him, but doesn't kill him -- just leaves him staked with the voodoo torture stake, which is apparently gonna bite Klaus on the ass since after Klaus stashed daddy in a trunk he wakes up and pulls the stake out -- something I suppose should be noted that Klaus couldn't do himself he had to be rescued by Elijah.

So the episode ends with Elijah all tied up before his human family and helpless leaving me thinking anything but maternal thoughts.

Basically what I'm saying is that this episode was actually really good all over.

RJDiogenes

#23 Post by RJDiogenes » October 28th, 2014, 11:11 pm

It gets a little confusing. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Originals 2x04 "Live and Let Die"

#24 Post by PhoenixHope » October 29th, 2014, 7:33 pm

It's not quite so bad while watching it, but yeah a scorecard and a few flow charts wouldn't hurt.

As for as me missing Ds boyfriend being gay - in fairness I knew he wasn't actually her boyfriend just someone she really cared about (I may have even thought something romantic might happen between them at some point), but otherwise I have to admit there was nothing that made me think he was gay. And to be honest that's the part I love best.

But it is kinda funny to me - the amount of slashers that Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries has and it's The Originals as the first show to make a deeply recurring character gay. Granted he's not one of the main characters, but he's also no where near being a one off character either, so it's awesome.

And as for mommy's plan - this just reveals that she's as much or more fucked up than her kids. Yes, her kids are vampires and have done much killing over the years, but her plan isn't much better - kill their bodies and then have them spend eternity hijacking the bodies of others. Yeah, that's so much better than being vampires -- am I right!

RJDiogenes

#25 Post by RJDiogenes » October 29th, 2014, 11:00 pm

I definitely have ethical issues with that. :lol: