Haven Season Six Episode Discussion Thread

For all general Sci-fi and Fantasy discussions, be it books, TV or movies

Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Haven 6x08 "Close to Home"

#51 Post by PhoenixHope » November 25th, 2015, 12:52 am

Well, I admit it would've probably made more sense had the hologram been Howard, but lets face it using Emily was probably easier since you know she's right there all the time.
RJDiogenes wrote:Last I remember about Charlotte she was doomed to become a Romero Zombie, but in this last episode they said she was dead again. I never saw her die.
I doubt you missed an episode -- though you might have yawned at the end of one. *grin* She was, but then Audrey and Charlotte helped Trouble woman to let go of her dead sisters husband and the "dead" started dropping in the order she brought them back. She died again in Dwight's arms after having what seemed like "hours" to say her goodbyes.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: Haven Season Six Episode Discussion Thread

#52 Post by RJDiogenes » November 25th, 2015, 10:14 pm

I do sometimes doze off on the couch. I'll have to go back and watch the end of that one again.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Haven 6x09 "A Matter of Time"

#53 Post by PhoenixHope » November 26th, 2015, 12:13 am

Haven 6x09 "A Matter of Time"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Audrey and Dave try to save Nathan from the void; Dave struggles to free himself from Croatoan's deadly grasp.
I could be wrong, but I'm assuming at the beginning that should be Audrey and Duke, but I typed it just like it was on my DISHGuide.
(I even checked it again and it still says Audrey and Dave.)
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#54 Post by RJDiogenes » November 27th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Yeah, it was Audrey and Duke.

Dave is dead, as you must know by now. I knew that would happen. Poor Dave. And Poor Vince. :cry:

At least he got to be brave and strike a blow against Croatoan. It's terrible that he won't be there to see the end of the series. :(

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Haven 6x09 "A Matter of Time"

#55 Post by PhoenixHope » November 28th, 2015, 12:51 am

Haven 6x09 A Matter of Time

I liked it -- no, really I L.O.V.E.D. it, but it feels weird to say that about the episode where Dave died, because DAMN! But the actor really pulled off his "courage the cowardly dog" moment and made it work oh-so-well, but more importantly the dude playing Vince really sold the pain so well too.
(Though the previous episode did kinda set up Dave's death it still surprised me, because I was not expecting Haven to actually do it -- I figured they'd pull off a touchdown pass in overtime. GAH! I hate football and yet was ruthlessly subjected to it all damn day yesterday until Haven time.)

Also, Dwight being smart and recording things so they'd have some clue what was happening during the "time loss." What can I say I love it when characters are actually smart.

What's scary is that I was with Audrey before Audrey was with Audrey on what Duke should do to the little... Okay, fine, she croaked so I won't call her names. Kitten Pride went to that big ol' Glitter Box in the sky so I'm pretty happy, because honestly I thought she'd have a redemption arc that I'd have to sit through and so I can say that Haven kinda surprised me all around with this episode, which is just awesome.

However, while I kinda hated Duke resisting the obvious even after Audrey had to spell out what we was thinking -- it was totally in character for Duke to do so. In fact it was a little weird that he ended up doing it -- I won't say it was out of character (because Nathan in danger and all) but it was honestly unexpected because I figured Duke would somehow talk Kitten into opening the thinny so he wouldn't have to use his mojo.

Then there was Nathan and William and I loved that Nathan knew William would screw him over but being out of options and then Nathan getting through to William, and then turning the ring over to William was just a damn nice touch. So, yeah, the Nathan and William stuff totally satisfied me in this episode.

But probably the best part of the whole episode was Nathan coming back with the crystal and everyone being all happy until Duke asked the question and both Nathan and Audrey forced to admit they have no damn idea and Duke being all like "business as usual then."

Or maybe the best part was that early in the season it seemed Haven was gonna go for the shiny happy (and yet for me disappointing) ending, but this episode kinda made me think that while it might end up a happy ending it'll at least be as much bittersweet as happy. Though what I'd love is for them to rebuild the barn and Troubles over and just before the credits roll something worse to happen or the troubles themselves to return with a vengence.

Honestly, though it was almost like this episode of Haven was made just for me -- like the creative team reached inside my head and put (most) of my wishes on screen so how could I not love this one.
(Though I have to admit this episode of Haven didn't trump the final episode of Hannibal for me -- honestly, I'm not sure any show ever will, because the last half hour of that episode just hit me so damn viscerally that I couldn't even -- seriously it took me at least a week (and more rewatches then I care to admit to) to properly process the whole thing, because I wasn't expecting that -- nor that, nor was I remotely expecting the final scene's between Hannibal and Will -- HOT DAMN! Never in my wildest dreams did I think a broadcast show would have the balls, despite all of it the whole damn thing being the most logical conclusion to the story -- though I still want more damn it! And sadly I doubt Haven will hit me that-a-way. but then again I don't really expect any show ever again to hit me that-a-way, though I kinda wish they'd all hit me that-a-way.)

RJDiogenes

#56 Post by RJDiogenes » November 28th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Oh, yeah, I was so upset by Dave that I forgot other stuff happened.

I was surprised that Kitty didn't actually redeem herself and Duke had to kill her. And I was somewhat surprised by the final scene between Nathan and William-- I thought for sure that William would end up dead.

And the revelation that they have no idea what to do with the controller was rather funny. It's really a shame that Charlotte's gone. I suppose they will somehow weasel the information out of the Shat.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Haven 6x10 "Blind Spot"

#57 Post by PhoenixHope » December 2nd, 2015, 9:30 pm

Haven 6x10 "Blind Spot"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Audrey and Nathan try to regain control of the police station while a mysterious killer leaves a wake of bodies.
Really - that is a mystery considering ol' you-know-who left Dave's body last week. My goodness this is gonna be possibly the toughest case ever to solve.

RJDiogenes

#58 Post by RJDiogenes » December 2nd, 2015, 11:43 pm

"Calling all cars. Be on the lookout for William Shatner."

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Haven 6x10 "Blind Spot"

#59 Post by PhoenixHope » December 5th, 2015, 10:49 pm

Haven 6x10 Blind Spot

Well, turns out it wasn't William Shatner after all. Okay, it kinda was since he was using his new Duke puppet and at that point I may have screamed.

Actually, to be honest, because my BB team played Thursday night means I didn't watch ANY of my Thursday night shows on Thursday - and after all that they lost anyway (GRR-ARG! I miss Cauley-Stein, Brooker, Lyles, and the Harrison Twins - all I'm saying. GET THEM BACK UK I DON'T CARE HOW - GET THEM BACK!) and I realized I shoulda just watched Haven, except now after having watched Haven... Well, this episode of Haven didn't make me ANY happier than that damn ball game.

I can't say it was a bad episode, because up to that reveal I have to admit I was engaged with everybody's various breakdowns and still can't help thinking poor Lavern, but I did sorta check out after Duke reveal even though the promos did kinda lead one to see it coming.

Honestly, though another problem I'm having is that it's starting to look like despite the fact that the people behind Haven knew this was the end they are just going to end up pulling something outta their asses at the last moment. Although again this wasn't the first time I've suspected that either, though I don't think I've said the following before so I'll say it now IF Duke doesn't make it outta this season alive then at least one of Audrey and Nathan better not make it out either.

Final thought was that it was as expected nice seeing Howard again, but it just leaves me scratching my head - why if Howard is the controller crystal why wasn't he also the guard? Oh well whatever.

Actually editing in because I had another final thoughts thought - I'm not sure what to make of Shats character yet. It seemed like he was going after Audrey because of what was done for her at the expense of his daughter (Mara), but then he didn't exactly seem threatening to Audrey upon "meeting" her so I just don't know what to make of it all yet.

Second time - Also, WHERE THE HELL WAS DWIGHT THIS WEEK?!
Last edited by PhoenixHope on December 6th, 2015, 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: adding another final thought *grin* And hours later another

RJDiogenes

#60 Post by RJDiogenes » December 6th, 2015, 10:25 pm

I, too, noticed the lack of Dwight.

William Shatner's character seemed to be, "Look at me, I'm William Shatner." Which is typical of William Shatner. :D

Duke better make it out alive. No more deaths. I have a bad feeling, though, that Vince won't be able to survive without Dave.

Laverne the Haunted Police Station was pretty cool, but why rely on "Yes/No" questions when they could have just opened Word or Notepad or something?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Haven 6x10 "Blind Spot"

#61 Post by PhoenixHope » December 6th, 2015, 11:51 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Laverne the Haunted Police Station was pretty cool, but why rely on "Yes/No" questions when they could have just opened Word or Notepad or something?
Because the people behind Haven clearly don't know how computers function. Not that this is strictly a Haven problem, because other shows (including Supernatural) at various times don't seem to understand IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!

What am I talking about? Well, despite all caps it was a fairly minor issue in this episode, but power outages don't cause laptops to go off, because laptops (DON'T WORK THAT WAY, because they) aren't plugged in to begin with.

However, admittedly I was more curious why Lavern simply couldn't use her voice over the phone. After all, I'm pretty sure she's always been a voice on the show so I don't know why the show didn't keep that going.
RJDiogenes wrote:William Shatner's character seemed to be, "Look at me, I'm William Shatner." Which is typical of William Shatner. :D
I know which is kinda sad and funny at the same time, because I know the man can act, and yet so often the shows tend to want him because he's William Shatner and so when they do that I always feel like saying "Hello, William Shatner," because, yes, I used to watch The Simpsons. Or feel the show should have the thought bubble appear over him each time he's on screen saying "hey kids, it's Captain Kirk!"

And admittedly at some point over the course of his appearances I want him being all "who's your daddy?" But then I'd make it all pervy so perhaps not. Yeah, I totally do.
RJDiogenes wrote:I, too, noticed the lack of Dwight.
I know they mentioned him, but it was just a little weird because he's been around a lot this season and then is just suddenly absent here and it was weird, so I thought maybe there was a reason he wasn't there this time, but I can't find anything.

RJDiogenes

#62 Post by RJDiogenes » December 7th, 2015, 11:05 pm

Probably just got cut due to time.

William Shatner should totally say, "Who's your daddy." Instant Internet meme. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Haven 6x11 "The Widening Gyre"

#63 Post by PhoenixHope » December 10th, 2015, 12:49 am

Haven 6x11 "The Widening Gyre"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Nathan and Dwight race to rescue Audrey from Croatoan; Vince contemplates an unusual sacrifice.

RJDiogenes

#64 Post by RJDiogenes » December 10th, 2015, 11:23 pm

I have a bad feeling about Vince's fate.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Haven 6x11 "The Widening Gyre"

#65 Post by PhoenixHope » December 11th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Okay, before I get into this I feel I should mention that my focus was not totally on the episode as I watched last night because as I believe I've mentioned in another thread I simply wasn't feeling good yesterday and so I do plan to watch the episode again, but despite that I feel I've covered everything I'd want to cover in a review of the episode.

Haven 6x11 The Widening Gyre

Interesting really sums up this episode -- both good and bad interesting, but still interesting.

They seemed to be going for an Mara/Audrey/Nathan angle with Nathan and Duke here, though ol' Croates seems to anticipated that and is using it. This one is both a good and bad interesting, because it kinda implies Duke may actually be gone and as you can imagine that does not thrill me at all.

Revealing that Howard WAY long ago used to be a person was a good interesting. Though it seems weird given his motivation for becoming the Barn that he would be so protective of Mara -- methinks perhaps Charlotte somehow tinkered with his personality after I assume merging him into the crystal. And Vince taking over for a "broken" Howard also a good interesting.

However, a problem was revealed with their ultimate plan to use the Barn to send all the aether back into the void in this episode, and yet no one (on the show at any rate) seems to have realized this up to and including Audrey and Croatoan. I mean granted sucking the aether into the void isn't his plan, but he knows it is the plan of the humans.

The problem, you may be asking, is this episode revealed that back in the day Mara was sick unto death and so Daddy Shat used aether to save her -- meaning Audrey has aether in her aether that in fact saved her life. So if all the aether gets sucked back into the void (but Audrey is left behind on Earth) that should mean she'll either drop dead right away or go back to dying from whatever her original illness was. So it just seems to me that Croatoan would be more invested in stopping that since he needs Audrey to help "punish" their own people, or at least that's what he claims and I'm inclined to believe him.
(And, okay, it's possible that Nathan, Dwight, or someone will notice this when Audrey gets back and tells them of her meeting, but somehow I doubt it, because this episode kinda left me with the impression the people behind the show simply hasn't thought of that.)

And also it seems they missed their chance (or purposely let it pass by) to give Mara an actual motive instead of her just doing all this because she's evil, and giving her a real motive would've at least allowed some sense to be made with Charlotte so strongly believing (until recently) that Mara could be redeemed. Otherwise it's left to appear as typical parent blindness, and that just disappoints me.

On the other hand, the end of this episode (and the promos for the next) lead me to believe Croatoan is going to make his case against sucking the aether back into the void during the next episode.

RJDiogenes

#66 Post by RJDiogenes » December 12th, 2015, 11:09 pm

Maybe Shatatoan just made up that story about Mara being sick to make them think twice about getting rid of aether. I think there is more to be revealed.

I had mixed feelings about Vince. I was pretty convinced that he wouldn't make it out of the season alive, so I wasn't surprised by that-- and it's good that his hologram is able to carry on with his life's work of protecting Haven. It's just too bad that Dave couldn't be there with him. Unless they have some twist coming up that can pull the essence of Dave from Croatoan or something...

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Haven 6x12/13 "Now" & "Forever"

#67 Post by PhoenixHope » December 18th, 2015, 12:29 am

Yes, yes, okay, this is a bit late - I forgot. Well, not really, but you see I won't be able to watch the episodes until tomorrow so I kinda (almost) forgot they was actually airing tonight.

Anyway, today the episode descriptions come from TVMaze.com.

Haven 6x12 Now
In the penultimate episode of the series, hope of ending the troubles begins to fade as the heroes struggle to rebuild the Barn in the face of mounting obstacles. And while Dwight is tempted by a surprise gift, Nathan finds himself considering a devastating sacrifice.
Haven 6x13 Forever (Series Finale)
Nathan struggles to return to Haven as Dwight reconsiders his future in the series finale, which also finds Audrey coming to a terrifying decision about how she might finally save the town from Croatoan.

RJDiogenes

#68 Post by RJDiogenes » December 18th, 2015, 10:53 pm

Well, that was weird. Unexpected things certainly happened. Image

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Haven 6x12/13 "Now" & "Forever"

#69 Post by PhoenixHope » December 20th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Okay, I admit it I haven't watched the episodes all the way through with my full attention. Friday evening I was finishing up (or thought I was anyway - I did forget to pick up a few dirty santa gifts that I finally got around to getting today) with Christmas presents so I let the episodes play in the background and I saw enough to not entice me into wanting to fully watch.

Duke is as expected dead and Nathan and not-yet-Audrey do indeed ride off into the sunset, while apparently Vince and Shat are just going to chill in the damn new barn forever. *sigh* A plus though was actually seeing Laverne, so not all bad.

Seriously, I mean I guess if you're all into happy ending shit it was probably okay for you, but for me a happy ending for this show just doesn't really work for me so these as the final episodes ever is always just going to leave me feeling BLAH over the whole thing. And so with that in mind it should be no surprise that I am in no damn hurry to actually sit down and watch them.

And frankly at this point the only reason I'd find myself watching them at all is simply for completeness sake, but honestly based on what I saw of them I'm in no real hurry to watch, so...

In fairness, I haven't actually been able to sit down and actually watch ZNations season finale either, but I'm gonna try to do that tonight, because it actually looked halfway interesting. But last weekend before Christmas is just not really a good time for me to be trying to watch TV or do anything unrelated to Christmas anyway.

RJDiogenes

#70 Post by RJDiogenes » December 21st, 2015, 11:37 pm

I don't know if I'd call it a happy ending-- I was certainly hoping for a happier one. :D

Dave is dead, Duke is dead, Audrey is gone forever, Nathan is hooking up with Mara's body who has yet another personality attached to it, Dwight is creepily raising a simulacrum of his dead daughter, and Vince is spending eternity in the barn with the guy who killed Dave.

I thought it was pretty bizarre. :lol: