Grimm Season Five Episode Discussion Thread

For all general Sci-fi and Fantasy discussions, be it books, TV or movies

Moderator: PhoenixHope

RJDiogenes

Re: Grimm Season Five Episode Discussion Thread

#26 Post by RJDiogenes » December 6th, 2015, 10:31 pm

The merged Rat King idea sounds pretty cool.

Z Nation was kind of interesting. Murphy's control over Zombies seems iffy at best, and I'm not sure exactly what it means to be half-Zombie and half-Human. But I'm pretty sure that Death Queen and Doctor Head will be back for the season finale. And Roberta has sure amped up the cleavage this year.

American Horror Story has Lady Gaga starring this year, doesn't it?
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Grimm 5x05 "Rat King"

#27 Post by PhoenixHope » December 7th, 2015, 12:21 am

RJDiogenes wrote:The merged Rat King idea sounds pretty cool.
It was.

And as far as my stuff about Nick and Addy I've been thinking about that - I know (as a general rule) men don't have the same issues with rape as women do, and this would be a more unique situation since in the real world someone can't actually assume someone else's form, but what I think really grates me about this is that the show seems to honestly want to everyone to forget that Addy wasn't a very nice person.

I mean, okay, several times they've at least had Adalind pay lip-service to the fact that she wasn't always a nice person, but even then they've still failed to have her assume full responsibility for everything she's done. In this case most importantly the total boning of Juliette's life, which can and should be laid directly at Adalind's feet. First she poisoned Juliette which caused Juliette to forget Nick and take up with Nick's Captain, because the magic involved compelled her.

After they got that worked out sometime later Adalind deGrimms Nick which is what lead to this entire clusterfuck, because the sex lead to the baby and the making Nick a Grimm again inadvertently lead to Juliette becoming what Addy is, which almost directly lead to her death, though admittedly Addy didn't actually kill her. And admittedly aside from the first time Addy wasn't directly attacking Juliette but attacking Nick with poor Julie simply caught in the crossfire, and I suppose even that first time you could argue she was attacking Nick through Juliette, but it was still a direct attack on Juliette that time.

But during all that wrecking of Julie's life she also assumed Julie's form and had sex with Nick, which lead to her being Nick's baby mommy. However, thinking about it I'm guessing something like that wouldn't necessarily be as traumatic to a man as it would be a woman, but either way it was still a violation because Nick was consenting to sex with Juliette not Adalind and so should be traumatic after the fact, though again this might be something that would be more traumatic to a female than a male.

Still I would like something (anything really) to indicate the show hasn't actually forgotten how the hell all this came about. I mean, at this point, I'd accept something as useless as Truble (though admittedly I don't know if Truble knows the whole story behind baby) turning to Monroe, Rosalee, or anyone and saying "am I the only one creeped out that Nick's shacking up with his rapist?" You know just some kinda of acknowledgement that nothing about Nick and Adalind is truly kosher.

Because while the show would like me to forget all the stuff I mentioned above - it happened and while I don't have the DVDs to prove it I could easily get them.
RJDiogenes wrote:American Horror Story has Lady Gaga starring this year, doesn't it?
Yes, yes it does and she's a vampire, so it's perfect. However, that aside I can understand why some aren't loving this season, because even I admit I like the killer cop/ghost story a bit more than the Countess/vampire part of the story. So it is a bit of a bunch of elements tossed together - such as one of the countess turns then turning a sick child who then turns his classmates and yet nothing more has been seen/said about it. So, yeah, I can accept that this season has it critics and they are valid, but I'm loving it and I don't care.
RJDiogenes wrote:And Roberta has sure amped up the cleavage this year.
Don't knock it - that's what finally lead her name to sticking with me.

PS - Awhile back you mentioned the hate for Citizen Z on some forum made you sad, well turn that frown upside down, because I've found a place where Citizen Z is very well loved (The Murphy not so much, but it doesn't bother me because my love for him comes and goes). Granted I haven't finished reading through the season one episode threads so it could turn hateful at some point, but I'm almost to the end of the season one threads and still not seeing ANY hate for him so you might enjoy reading the Previously TV ZNation forums.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: Grimm 5x05 "Rat King"

#28 Post by RJDiogenes » December 7th, 2015, 11:21 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:though again this might be something that would be more traumatic to a female than a male.
Oh, it would be just as traumatic. That's some pretty bad characterization, I think, unless it turns out he's being mind controlled.
Yes, yes it does and she's a vampire, so it's perfect. However, that aside I can understand why some aren't loving this season, because even I admit I like the killer cop/ghost story a bit more than the Countess/vampire part of the story. So it is a bit of a bunch of elements tossed together - such as one of the countess turns then turning a sick child who then turns his classmates and yet nothing more has been seen/said about it. So, yeah, I can accept that this season has it critics and they are valid, but I'm loving it and I don't care.
I think people have complained about every season after season one. I might give this a look. Lady Gaga is pretty cool.
Don't knock it - that's what finally lead her name to sticking with me.
Oh, I never knock knockers. :D
PS - Awhile back you mentioned the hate for Citizen Z on some forum made you sad, well turn that frown upside down, because I've found a place where Citizen Z is very well loved (The Murphy not so much, but it doesn't bother me because my love for him comes and goes). Granted I haven't finished reading through the season one episode threads so it could turn hateful at some point, but I'm almost to the end of the season one threads and still not seeing ANY hate for him so you might enjoy reading the Previously TV ZNation forums.
Nice. I just bookmarked that to take a look. The place I saw all the Citizen Z hate was IMDB, which is kind of a hate magnet. It's nice to know things are different elsewhere.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Grimm 5x06 "Wesen Nacht"

#29 Post by PhoenixHope » December 11th, 2015, 12:31 am

Grimm 5x06 "Wesen Nacht"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Nick and Hank investigate a wave of vandalism; Truble tells Nick and Adalind what she's been up to.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Grimm 5x06 "Wesen Nacht"

#30 Post by PhoenixHope » December 13th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Grimm 5x06 Wesen Nacht

To be perfectly honest I had a really hard time staying focused on this episode for the first half. At one point, I even forgot I was watching and started doing something else.

Basically, the war wesen want to kill the humans and rule the world, except they are starting with attacking other wesen. At the beginning of this episode war wesen are attacking businesses owned by wesen and wesen business owners themselves. Seriously, this episode makes it a point to remind us that they attacked only wesen owned businesses.

So anyway we chug chug chug along until Team Nick thinks they've gotten what they wanted. You see, one of the kidnapped wesen owners escaped, but not before we see the war wesen showing kidnapped wesen a pic of Monroe and asking if he knows him. He does, but we don't see him come around to admitting this.

Can you see where this is going, because I certainly good.

Anyway, they finally convince kidnapped wesen to identify one of the wesen who kidnapped him. Then she finally agrees to lead them to the other wesen, and honestly it's no wonder I was bored, because IT'S A TRAP was so obvious it was painful and yet none of our heroes question this, until Rosalee starts to ping to something while driving kidnapped wesen home.

Now I'll grant this twist surprised me a little bit, because I was expecting kidnap wesen to get Rosalee to his house where there's also be an ambush waiting for her. Instead she stops the car and finally gets kidnap wesen to admit it's a trap for at least Monroe and Nick, but they aren't the only ones headed to the factory. The Captain, Hank, and Woo are also along for that ride.

Rosalee calls to warn them and was almost in time, but then war wesen start spilling out of the factory and our heroes run inside said factory, because apparently no one on this show has ever watched a scary movie, or even that damn ad spoofing them where the poor girl wonders why they should hide on a scary killers property and how come they aren't getting in the running car and GTFO of there.

But then I suppose I can't fault this episode too much over this, because that leads to the last twist this episode offers - our heroes are trapped in a room with no way out and its only a matter of time before the war wesen get them. Then for some reason the war wesen start screaming - Nick leaves the room to check it out, and the rest soon follow him. They get in a bit of trouble and a blond Juliette saves them. Hmmm. But rushes off before anyone can question her.

So I'll grant that last one was something I didn't see coming at all. And I'd be asking if perhaps that was really Juliette, but the promos for the next episode show her with her natural hair so it probably is her.

RJDiogenes

#31 Post by RJDiogenes » December 13th, 2015, 10:25 pm

Maybe a blond Juliette from an alternate universe.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Grimm 5x07 "Eve of Destruction"

#32 Post by PhoenixHope » January 29th, 2016, 12:49 am

Grimm 5x07 "Eve of Destruction"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Not everything is as it seems after "Juliette's" return; Trubel has information for Nick.
I should note that the quotes around Juliette above are from the episode description itself and not something I added in.

RJDiogenes

#33 Post by RJDiogenes » January 29th, 2016, 11:08 pm

Perhaps it really is an AU Juliette....

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Grimm 5x07 "Eve of Destruction"

#34 Post by PhoenixHope » January 30th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Okay, so I didn't watch this episode last night. This past Monday at work we had an unexpected call in - not one of those that calls in all the time, so while some doubted I figured the guy in question was really sick and I was right. He ended up bringing in a note from his doctor that said he needed to be off until the first of Feb.

Now that didn't greatly affect me, except for yesterday. He was scheduled to open yesterday and again Sunday (I think) so basically they needed someone to open yesterday and again Sunday - but here's the key about where I'm working now they do not want you going over a certain amount of hours (because then they'd have to offer insurance and that would end up very costly to the company) so basically they asked me to open yesterday and then another guy to open Sunday so neither of us would go over hours.

And that in and of itself would've been fine - i.e. wouldn't have left me so tired that I went to bed really early last night, but then yesterday we had one that was supposed to come in at noon apparently forget he was supposed to come in (reason I know that is because he called about an hour after he was supposed to show up asking if he was supposed to work) so while I didn't pull a full on double I did basically pull a shift and a half yesterday so yeah I was kinda tired by nightfall. On the other hand, since this was a slow week at work yesterday did help me catch up to my normal hours so my pay won't be affected, but did leave me rather tired.

So while I did think about watching the episode I decided to go to bed instead. But why I came to this thread wasn't to bitch piss and moan it was to post the ratings, because now I'm leaning again toward this being Grimms final season.

Grimm
- 3.81 million viewers
- 0.8/3 A18-49

Which I admit isn't far off from the numbers its been getting all season, but considering NBC is in a better state ratings-wise this season than it's been for awhile I think Grimm needs to be doing slightly better than that for NBC to consider a renewal.

RJDiogenes

#35 Post by RJDiogenes » January 30th, 2016, 10:18 pm

I hope it doesn't get cancelled, but it's actually had a pretty good run. When it first came on, it didn't seem like it would survive at all.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Grimm 5x07 "Eve of Destruction"

#36 Post by PhoenixHope » January 31st, 2016, 8:42 pm

Well, this won't be a proper review, because I only half-assed watched it. Why? Well, my DVR had been kinda flakey this weekend - actually it's been kinda flakey the whole week, but it took me til this weekend to figure out whether it was a TV problem or a receiver/DVR problem.

It's (obviously) a receiver/DVR problem, because this morning after the overnight update it wouldn't turn on. And in my troubleshooting attempts I finally got a pop-up message that settled the matter of which it was entirely.

So, basically DISH is mailing me a new one (but I've never installed the thing, because a tech has always done that, so I don't even know if I'll be able to) and said 2-4 business days. Right now I'm at least able to watch TV, but honestly have no idea how long that'll last, because it took two hours of troubleshooting to get it to this point.
(And I've had it working three times today already but it keeps (or kept *crosses fingers*) going back out again and it takes longer and longer to get it back each time it goes. But at least right now it's played longer than it has earlier today. So maybe I can at least continue watching TV until the new one arrives, but I'm not holding my breath on that.)

*sigh*

Grimm 5x07 Eve of Destruction

I did watch enough to pick up that Juliette seems to be robot Juliette now - she admits to Nick that she remembers everything, but literally displays no passion for anything. Oh and she's not actually blond it was a wig for some reason.

The other thing I picked up on is that the coming Wesen war is really starting to heat up, because Wesen are now attacking in full face for everyone to see and it's happening all over the world.

I mean, okay, I saw more than that, but those out of what I saw seem to be the important in regards to overall plot bits.

I may try watching again tonight, but then again I might not be able too, so who knows. I might decide trying to watch Shadowhunters is more important since I'll be losing it soon.

Honestly some days I just want cable and my VCR back - year for year I've had more issues outta DISH equipment than I did outta cable. Though I suppose in fairness I didn't really have cable equipment because my TV was new enough that the line outside would connect to the TV itself and I never needed one of those cable box like some people did.
(But seriously when we first got DISH before the first year was over we had a DVR/receiver issue where the nightly updates would lock it up but in that case a simple reset would get it going again but they insisted on a new box anyway and to give DISH credit for awhile it was smooth sailing but then just this past summer that ones hard drive went entirely and had to get a new box again and seriously now just after a few months again - how can it really be this screwy?!)

RJDiogenes

#37 Post by RJDiogenes » January 31st, 2016, 11:35 pm

My Brother had DISH for a while and hated it. He has Comcast now and it actually seems good to him in comparison. :(

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Grimm 5x08 "A Reptile Dysfunction"

#38 Post by PhoenixHope » February 5th, 2016, 1:02 am

Grimm 5x08 "A Reptile Dysfunction"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
A mysterious sighting is connected to the death of a tourist at a local lake; Rosalee is haunted.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Grimm 5x08 "A Reptile Dysfunction"

#39 Post by PhoenixHope » February 7th, 2016, 1:28 am

As with Sleepy Hollow this won't be a proper review, but for a different reason, because while this episode was rather a one-off it was actually a pretty good episode.

We still don't know what has happened with Juliette, except she's clearly not the woman she used to be. And Jules herself seems a-okay with and wants to be called Eve now.

And the thing with Rosalee isn't what the descript made one think - one of her old friends (who seems to think they was more than friends) from her old druggie days wants to reconnect. He sent her a second letter and mentioned that he was thinking of visiting - this information does not delight Rosalee at all.

Anyway, Nick finally sees the compound where Truble was kept and the police Captain is clued in to what's been going on.

The rest of the episode dealt with a legendary lake monster that would delight Mulder, though he's not a harmless monster since he doesn't stop at scaring the tourists but kills them if they annoy him.

But mostly I just don't feel like going into that because I have a bit of a headache right now, so...

Anyway, Grimm had a bit of an uptick itself this week:

Grimm
- 4.42 million viewers
- 0.9/3 A18-49

Which might be enough to at least have NBC (since they do outright own the show) give it some manner of a final season. Though as with Sleepy Hollow it probably needs to remain rock steady from here on out for that to actually happen.

RJDiogenes

#40 Post by RJDiogenes » February 7th, 2016, 10:44 pm

Sorry about the headache. :(

That's really a weird plot twist with Juliette. Eve? I wonder what's up. :unsure:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Grimm 5x09 "Star-Crossed"

#41 Post by PhoenixHope » February 12th, 2016, 3:08 am

Grimm 5x09 "Star-Crossed"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
After a barbaric ritual takes place, Monroe goes under cover to help track a killer.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Grimm 5x09 "Star-Crossed"

#42 Post by PhoenixHope » February 13th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Grimm 5x09 Star-Crossed

So, basically, Wesen have a ritual for drought - so rather a timely episode - or rather a ritual to make it rain. Of course, as you might expect this involves murder - seven, in fact, and for some reason the victims must be displayed on crosses with a certain symbol.
(Except that even though the final death was stopped, though the person doing the killing was killed, it starts raining at the end of the episode, so...)

So, yeah, mostly a case of the week thing, except for the bits where Team Kidnappers (who Trubel is now working for a fully supporting) wants to have a serious meeting with Team Nick, because TK needs to know who's with them. Wierdly everyone on Team Nick is all hesitant because they want to know more before committing to anything. And you know what might help with that? Having a meeting - go figure.

But like I said this was a very heavy case of the week episode. Still the case of the week seems to connect with what TK are now calling black claw. Very losely though - basically one of the persons of interest attends a meeting that is basically black claw recruiting thing - and that's where Monroe's undercover at that meeting.

Interesting side note (I suppose), but the Captains to busy shilling for a friend to get invited to the big shindig. Okay, not really, but it's really very weird that the Captain is still mostly on the outside of this whole thing. And this episode kinda proves that he should be involved because he actually has knowledge.

Wig Watch: This week Eve is wearing red wig - so it seems Juliette got a yen for wigs upon her ressurection.

Ratings Watch:

Grimm
- 4.19 million viewers
- 0.9/3 A18-49

RJDiogenes

#43 Post by RJDiogenes » February 13th, 2016, 10:19 pm

Trubel has gone to the Dark Side?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Grimm 5x09 "Star-Crossed"

#44 Post by PhoenixHope » February 15th, 2016, 2:41 am

No, I think she's probably on the right side, but since they kidnapped her before explaining themselves I've labeled them Team Kidnapper. Also, in addition to kidnapping Trubel these are the same people who brought Juliette back.

Granted they are working against Black Claw - Wesen who want to rule over the humans - but their means at least at present time do leave a little to be desired.

RJDiogenes

#45 Post by RJDiogenes » February 15th, 2016, 10:42 pm

We'd probably be better off. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Grimm 5x10 "Map of the Seven Knights"

#46 Post by PhoenixHope » February 19th, 2016, 1:06 am

Grimm 5x10 "Map of the Seven Knights"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Monroe gets a call that may bring Nick closer to his ancestors; Renard helps a mayoral candidate.
I don't even understand WHY that last bit was added since that's been going on since the mid-season hiatus. *sigh*

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Grimm 5x10 "Map of the Seven Knights"

#47 Post by PhoenixHope » February 21st, 2016, 8:51 pm

The keys are back - the story where these weird keys can be used together to draw a map to what's supposed to be some kind of treasure. Well, thanks to Monroe's uncle Nick has three more keys to go with the two he got way back in first season - at least I'm pretty sure it was first season.

It's enough for Team Nick to make a guess as to the general location of said treasure, so apparently next episode a treasure hunting we will go.

In other news, apparently Juliette is dead because Eve acts like Juliette was a complete other person from whoever she is now.

Okay, really, this episode was good and deserves a better review than this, but yesterday I had things to do and couldn't get reviews a-done and today I still have other things to do and don't exactly have the time to take the time. However, the above are the highlights, though this whole awesome things with Monroe's nerdy uncle, which was really awesome, and so I added this just so it would be mentioned.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Grimm 5x11 "Key Move"

#48 Post by PhoenixHope » March 4th, 2016, 1:11 am

Grimm 5x11 "Key Move"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Artifacts take Monroe and Nick closer to the heart of a mystery; a deadly move could send Portland into chaos.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Grimm 5x12 "Into the Schwarzwald"

#49 Post by PhoenixHope » March 11th, 2016, 4:08 am

Grimm 5x12 "Into the Schwarzwald"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Nick and Monroe uncover a long-hidden treasure in Germany; Renard helps Hank and Wu track down an assassin who is terrorizing Portland.
PS - Nope, still haven't watched last weeks episode. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.

RJDiogenes

#50 Post by RJDiogenes » March 11th, 2016, 10:59 pm

They really get around.