Behavior In the Senate

A whole forum for whining to the staff and for the staff to pass on important information.

Moderator: Duracell

Cato

#26 Post by Cato » January 16th, 2006, 7:20 pm

You mean, did I give you anything of practical use or was I just philosophizing? When have I ever said anything of practical use?

But I'll try. OK, I really don't like warnings and such because they seem like something you'd use on a misbehaving 3 year old. Despite all the evidence to the contrary,I think we're all a lot more adult than that around here. I wouldn't resort to that unless things got REAL bad.

What I guess I'd do is say that good and solid debate is desired, and since ad hominem attacks are both unpleasant AND are bad for debate that we should have none of them. And because in most instances ad hominems are resorted to when a real argument is lacking that, when someone engages in such an attack and is called on it they must immediately either come up with a real argument against the given point or publically acknowledge that they are wrong and the other side is right.

That sort of confession -- even though it isn't real -- would certainly give people pause before attacking. I mean, the reason we resort to them is that I can't think of a good argument against it, but I can't let the other side "win", so I have to say something, and making the penalty be publically saying the other side "won" would provide incentive to keep one's mouth closed. Or, at the very least, the shear humor of it would provide a little comedic relief and hopefully lower the tension level a bit. It would be funny to try anyway. You could even incorporate in the Calvin and Hobbes "I'm so sorry" song. Anything to give a little public embarassment and humor.
Worthy is the Lamb that was slain.
He is all I need.

KindredWolf

#27 Post by KindredWolf » January 16th, 2006, 9:36 pm

Good ideas, Cato. Though I wasn't saying what I said to debate. I was saying it because I wanted to finally say it. I was being an asshole, deliberately and I don't apologize for it. I realize that what I said offended some (let's be honest, most) people, but there you are.

desert rose

#28 Post by desert rose » January 16th, 2006, 11:54 pm

Well I suppose we can say at least you're honest.
Strife comes with manhood,
And waking with day.

Cato

#29 Post by Cato » January 17th, 2006, 1:14 am

Ummm.... Err.... Uh, Wow. Geez, I guess there would definately still be a place for warnings then.
Worthy is the Lamb that was slain.
He is all I need.

aurickandrien

#30 Post by aurickandrien » January 17th, 2006, 1:35 am

seriously though, I'd prefer to be able to keep debate separate from that sort of thing... it's just not part of reasonable debate.
"Stuck. What it is, I think there's a jump some people have to make, sometimes, and if they don't do it, then they're stuck good ... Some jumps you have to decide on for yourself. Just figure there's something better waiting for you somewhere ..."

Niorah

#31 Post by Niorah » January 17th, 2006, 6:54 am

Not to mention that we all know each other here, and a little -respect- among us I wish I can take for granted...