A Lament

The place to discuss yogurt and other topics of culture or even create some of your own!

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Theophilus

A Lament

#1 Post by Theophilus » June 23rd, 2009, 3:06 am

My feeble hope is like ashes
I'd rather face a thousand lashes
The things that I thought
Would be good for me
Were not meant to be.
My soul has been shot.

I carry a heavy load
I feel so old
I knew the sweetness of hope
I felt like I could touch the sky
Hope is just a lie
I'm at the end of my rope.

To die, in the rain.

Santaman
Administrators

Re: A Lament

#2 Post by Santaman » June 23rd, 2009, 12:44 pm

Well written, but very gloomy. :christmas:
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

PrincessWhoopAss

#3 Post by PrincessWhoopAss » June 23rd, 2009, 7:55 pm

Agreed, very well written, and definitely evokes some deep emotions.

RJDiogenes

#4 Post by RJDiogenes » June 24th, 2009, 1:12 am

Yes, it's definitely well written-- I like the structure and the flow is both smooth and captivating-- and very effectively communicates strong despair.

But what brought this on, Theo? :(
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

Theophilus

#5 Post by Theophilus » June 24th, 2009, 4:46 am

I am stepping down from my position as Assistant Manager at my job. It is not easy to say that I have failed at something, that I cannot accomplish a job. I hate failure, and I have failed at performing my job.

So, then hopefully I'll have a position to go to at my old store, where I was happy. When I got my promotion, they had a going away party for me, bought me a couple of gifts, and were behind me 100%. They supported me, believed in me, and encouraged me. Then here I am, looking at going back to them, and having to tell them that I they were wrong, I am not as capable as they had all believed. That I have failed at this profession.

Also, I'm currently in a one year lease. If I break my lease, I'll get sued for the remaing rent in that year's time. So if I move, I'm stuck paying $4k plus on a place that I have no use for. I might be able to sublet it, but I don't know...

Let's see, what else. Oh yeah, realizing that my college degrees are pretty much worthless out in the Real World. So I'm thinking about going back to college and getting ANOTHER degree, but this time in something useful, like accounting.

So yeah, these are some pretty gloomy days for me. I know there are pople out there with worse stories and harder situations, but sometimes, you just gotta whine. I'll get over it in a few days, but right now I'm in a funk.

To die, in the rain.

RJDiogenes

#6 Post by RJDiogenes » June 24th, 2009, 9:30 am

I don't think it's fair to say you've failed at something if conditions made it impossible for you to do your job, or just made it unendurable. It's not failure to to reassess what's going on and take a step back so you can start going forward again; life is kind of like a maze in that respect. ;)

Sorry to hear about the lease, but you should look at the fine print or speak to the office; there may be an option letting you out if you have to move because of a job.

As for degrees, it may be worth getting another, but you should probably not make any decisions until you're in a better frame of mind.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you're going through a bad spot, but things will get better and I'm sure that this will turn out to be a good decision in the long run. :)
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)