Soooo, "Dallas" rides again on TNT- am I the only one who...

"The stuff dreams are made of."

Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Soooo, "Dallas" rides again on TNT- am I the only one who...

#1 Post by PhoenixHope » June 14th, 2012, 11:00 pm

...watched?

Cause I did - yes, I am one of those old foggies who was around for the original (though I am still in the A18-49 demo, and was only in said demo for a few years during the original Dallas), and decided since this new Dallas was supposed to be more of a sequel then a remake I figured what the hell I'd give it a shot... And honestly it keeps the spirit of the original while trying to expand on it. And keeping the spirit of the original is important - like Sydney (from Scream 4) said "you do not fuck with the original."

Yes, the new Dallas is cheesy and over the top, but so was the original Dallas. Granted I'm not entirely sure of the new cast yet because they don't seem to have the "magic" of the original cast. Granted though I barely (okay don't even) remember the first season of Dallas, so I can't say whether or not the original cast gelled instantly or if it took time, and I can see some potential in the new cast, especially with the dude playing John Ross (he really seems to get what his character is supposed to be and what type of show he's actually in) and the gal playing Elena was also pretty good - just hoping they keep leaning her more towards the Sue Ellen model instead of the Pamela Barnes model. Though I suppose it might be interesting to have John Ross with a Pam type and Chris with a Sue Ellen type, which seemed to be what the end of the episode was trying to sit up.

This show only really needs to remember one thing - J.R. always wins! At least in the end he always wins, he can have set-backs just like everyone else, but he's J.R., so... Anyway, if the new version can remember that it'll probably be okay.
(And I am more eager then I probably should be to see how J.R. or hell even John Ross takes Ewing Oil back from Cliff.)

Still I suppose it's a little weird that we've gone from "Who shot J.R.?" to "Who sent the e-mail?" but weirdly enough even that kind of works.

On the other hand, it's weird because I didn't realize how much I'd missed Dallas until I started watching last night, but apparently I'd missed it a great deal, because boy did the opening credits, especially the song, take me back.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: Soooo, "Dallas" rides again on TNT- am I the only one who...

#2 Post by RJDiogenes » June 15th, 2012, 12:07 am

I didn't see it last night, but I plan to watch when it shows up on On Demand. I wasn't a big fan of the original, but I did watch from time to time (mostly when Jenilee Harrison was on). I do like that they're doing a sequel and not a remake, and that many of the original cast are included. Patrick Duffy looks good for his age, and Larry Hagman looks pretty good, too, considering his age and illness. The new members of the cast all look like models, so it remains to be seen if they have the right stuff.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#3 Post by PhoenixHope » June 16th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Personally, the one who stunned me was Linda Gray - holy crap! She still looks so damn stunning.

Admittedly though I loved Hagman's eyebrows best of all... Well, that and the fact that it looked like he was having a great time being back.

As for the younger actors - I don't know why Hollywood is (or seems) scared to cast people around or over thirty anymore. Seriously sometimes (seriously) age/experience is better then all the pretty pretty people, unless you're gonna say have all the pretty people run around naked - then I (and probably very few others) are NOT gonna be focused on plot or their weaknesses as actors/actresses.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#4 Post by RJDiogenes » June 18th, 2012, 12:49 am

The members of the original cast were all very attractive but didn't look like cookie cutter models, and there's no reason why that can't be done today. The casts of both Vampire Diaries and Secret Circle are young and uncommonly attractive, but they all look like distinct individuals.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)