What are you watching?

"The stuff dreams are made of."

Moderator: PhoenixHope

RJDiogenes

Re: What are you watching?

#126 Post by RJDiogenes » February 5th, 2013, 12:04 am

Let's see, I'll try to list all of the shows currently in production (even if they are on hiatus) that I watch. I'll go by day of the week to make them easier to remember.

Sunday:

Once Upon A Time
Walking Dead
Falling Skies

Monday:

Being Human
Lost Girl
Warehouse 13 (or is that Wednesday?)

Wednesday:

Supernatural

Thursday:

Vampire Diaries

On Demand:

True Blood

I think that's everything....
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#127 Post by PhoenixHope » February 5th, 2013, 12:20 am

RJDiogenes wrote:Let's see, I'll try to list all of the shows currently in production (even if they are on hiatus) that I watch. I'll go by day of the week to make them easier to remember.

*grins* I tried that when I was making a list before and managed to miss almost all of my cable shows (since mostly I DVR view all my cable stuff ergo I can never remember officially what night they actually air on), so I decided it would be best for me to go by network instead of day/night.

And I think it worked because it doesn't look like I've forgotten anything this time, except I guess one might count Undercover Boss, though this season I've only watched three episodes so far and honestly only watch this one if the promos are for a company I have some interest in or if the promo just looks interesting, because mostly it's just the same BS each time. Boss thinks he knows the job - can't do it worth shit cause he's an office type, and then gets emotionally moved by the stories he/she hears from employees. Same show again and again basically which is why I don't watch it much.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#128 Post by RJDiogenes » February 6th, 2013, 12:25 am

Yeah, True Blood is the only cable show I'm watching and I always watch it on On Demand, so I'm really not sure when its regular time slot is.

trekkiedane

#129 Post by trekkiedane » February 13th, 2013, 6:51 am

What I watch, well... right now it's L&O: Criminal Intent (second episode) [DANG! how I miss that show -or rather; how I miss Goren! -D'Onofrio really gave him life.]

And ^that is after having been watching a load of L&O-episodes (about a small handful from every season) over the past many days :lol:

But on to current TV: During the week (or at the very least within a three to four week span) I usually watch all the Sunday-cartoons, Bones, Castle, The Mentalist, Person of Interest, Criminal Minds, Silent Witness, Ripper Street, Elementary, some CSI-thing (forgot which one it is that's currently running), The Following, Utopia, Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe, Black Mirror, and Motive...
I let the machine watch Banshee, Supernatural, The Americans and Spartacus...
Sometimes I catch Colbert and Robot Chicken...

And of course I am waiting for the next Doctor Who-episode and the next Trek-series...

However, most of that is just something that runs somewhere in the background, what I actually watch are older things:
I'm in the middle of The Strangerers, just started re-watching Eerie, Indiana and a lot of films that I either missed (just watched Zodiac) or like so much that I watch them again and again (The Andromeda Strain) or had almost forgotten (Who Framed Roger Rabbit) or just like because they are funny in that weird way old films have (watched a lot of Doris Day in December).

I think that should do for a first post :lol:
Watch this space.

RJDiogenes

#130 Post by RJDiogenes » February 14th, 2013, 12:38 am

I watch a lot of old stuff, too. My default channels are either TCM (which shows old movies from mostly the 30s, 40s and 50s) or MeTV (which shows old TV shows from the 50s through the 80s).

trekkiedane

#131 Post by trekkiedane » February 14th, 2013, 5:01 am

When TCM first hit these shores I loved the channel, but once I'd seen the ~150 films they had, I kinda stopped watching it.

I do love old film noir though -and SciFis from the same period. Sure, mostly they're more cheesy than good and -at times- have incredibly naive story-lines. But hey, Ray Harryhausen's effects are still better than some of the CGI done these days, and quite a few of those films had time to tell really good suspenseful fantastic stories without resorting to shoot/blow 'em up-tactics.
Watch this space.

RJDiogenes

#132 Post by RJDiogenes » February 15th, 2013, 12:17 am

Those old films were less photorealistic, but they had artistry-- which is what is lacking in most modern films.

trekkiedane

#133 Post by trekkiedane » February 19th, 2013, 5:05 am

Watching Robinson Crusoe on Mars right now :D
Watch this space.

RJDiogenes

#134 Post by RJDiogenes » February 20th, 2013, 12:20 am

Oh, that's a good one. Adam West, right?

I got a DVD set of about a zillion old genre TV shows. I've watched several episodes of Tales of Tomorrow.

trekkiedane

#135 Post by trekkiedane » February 23rd, 2013, 1:49 am

RJDiogenes wrote:Oh, that's a good one. Adam West, right?

Yes it is, almost hard SciFi even (if you substitute 'some planet' for Mars) -and- yes it is.

Now watching the last half of the FANTASTIC series Utopia. It even fits my TV-monitor (21:9, not 16:9) better than most TV productions :lol:
Watch this space.

Grim

#136 Post by Grim » May 8th, 2013, 7:38 pm

I've been watching a lot of TV lately (lack of internet will do that to you). Off the top of my head:

Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Alphas (which finished this week, boo)
Warehouse 13 (which starts again tomorrow, yay)
Doctor Who
Defiance (which I may drop if it doesn't pick up within a few eps)
The Vampire Diaries
Da Vinci's Demons
Game of Thrones (only seen the first two eps, but I have picked up the Blu-Rays of the first and second season)
And of course, DS9 which is, and always will be my go to show

RJDiogenes

#137 Post by RJDiogenes » May 8th, 2013, 11:16 pm

I just watched the Big Bang Theory episode with Bob Newhart. He's always been my favorite comedian and he's still got it. :D

I'm also watching Warehouse 13, as well as Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and Once Upon A Time. I gave up on Defiance after two episodes.

I've been thinking about trying Da Vinci's Demons-- how is it?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#138 Post by PhoenixHope » May 9th, 2013, 12:08 am

Probably I'm not a good one to answer this, but DISH gave me a free preview of Da Vinci's Demons (DVRed it for me and everything) of the first episode and I got about 20/25 minutes in and just stopped it and went to bed.

However, I don't recall it being bad it was just a little boring, but since I've found things you liked boring before that probably means you'd like it.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

Grim

#139 Post by Grim » May 9th, 2013, 7:17 am

I'd agree with that. I love the setting, but the execution leaves a little to be desired. I'm going to give it a couple more eps to see if it picks up.

RJDiogenes

#140 Post by RJDiogenes » May 9th, 2013, 11:29 pm

Yeah, the previews didn't really excite, but it's da Vinci and it's Steampunkish so I feel like I should give it a try. Also, there's nudity and sex.

PhoenixHope wrote:However, I don't recall it being bad it was just a little boring, but since I've found things you liked boring before that probably means you'd like it.

:lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#141 Post by PhoenixHope » August 28th, 2013, 10:41 pm

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

So, I've been holding in a comment or two about some of the summer shows I've been watching just because I didn't want to start episode threads for them, but then I remembered this thread. YAY!

So, this summer (aside from Pretty Little Liars, which is always A-OK!) I've been watching Siberia, Under the Dome, Capture.

Yeah, I know Capture is a reality show and I've always been firmly against reality TV, but there was just something about the ads for this one that had me deciding to give it a chance and what can I say I kinda like it. No, it's not high brow TV, but it is vaguely entertaining and when it comes to summer TV that's generally enough.

Then there's Under the Dome which I discovered quickly I don't really like - sad because of all of them I though this one would probably be the best of the lot. Alas someone who shares control of the TV likes it so I'm stuck watching it. But really it lost me when the girl the psycho son kidnapped was found by the dudes dad and HE just left her captive. Yes, the dad finally let her out, but instead of getting better after that it found a way to go lower. Though admittedly before this I still thought it was too overly soapy for what I was expecting/wanting from the show. But aside from that instead of someone (ANYONE) killing the psycho little bastard the show is making him an important part of the plot and forcing his victim to interact with him. UGH!
(Not to mention bringing in a woman who's got two bastards by the balls, which admittedly I'd normally like I just can't get past the whole "new person who was always there but not noticed before now" soapy aspect of the whole thing.)

Finally, there's Siberia, which I'll admit the only reason I started watching it was because of the whole reality stars get screwed and not in the fun way aspect. What can I say? A couple (or more) horror/slasher movies introduced me to this concept and I found I really really liked it. However, with the show itself I admit that during the first and some of the second episode I thought I'd been bait and switched into watching an actual reality TV show, but once it was clear this was the type of show I was expecting I've come to really like it and wish it was the one setting the ratings world on fire instead of it being that crap-ass Under the Dome.

So there we are bunch of comments made without starting any new threads! YAY!
(Note: For some reason my PC typing was being slow so I was typing faster than the letters was appearing on my screen when making this post which means there may be errors!)

RJDiogenes

#142 Post by RJDiogenes » August 28th, 2013, 11:12 pm

^^ That typing thing happens to me all the time.

There hasn't been a lot for me to watch this Summer. I watched Falling Skies and enjoyed it. It's what I call an Irwin Allen show-- very entertaining if you don't think about it. And True Blood, which was as crazy as ever. And the last season of Futurama is on now. I think that's it for new stuff. Other than that I just watch TCM or MeTV or Science Channel.

In the next couple of months we'll be getting new seasons of Walking Dead, American Horror Story and Doctor Who. I think Haven will be back shortly, too.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#143 Post by PhoenixHope » August 28th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Yeah, I'm really behind on True Blood - as you may or may not remember I don't have HBO so I've always had to watch the DVDs, but I'm pretty sure I'm two seasons (if not three) behind right now.

And, yeah, I think Haven returns on Sept. 13th. I'll have to look it up somewhere to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that's the date that was on the promo I saw. As for American Horror Story I wonder what new title twist it will have this season - I really need to find out soon, I suppose otherwise my DVR won't pick it up for me.

Alas on The Walking Dead I still haven't managed to get my hands on the first and second season. I'm hoping soon, because if not it'll probably be Dec./Jan. before I'd be able to have time to watch it.

As for:

RJDiogenes wrote:There hasn't been a lot for me to watch this Summer. I watched Falling Skies and enjoyed it. It's what I call an Irwin Allen show-- very entertaining if you don't think about it.

I guess I'm getting too old or something, but I find myself just not liking shows anymore if you can't think about them too hard.
(Though I can handle it (mostly) if I like the characters enough, or say like Pretty Little Liars that just throws up soooo much to think about that even if it doesn't make sense just sit back cause something'll be along shortly that distracts from that, or even Siberia, because much in that show is illogical, but it actually feels like it's probably that way on purpose.)

The typing thing is weird and only seems to happen to me on this website and doesn't happen all the time.

PS - For the record, yes, in the first episode of Siberia one of the players is discovered dead, but we really don't see his mangled body, so I wasn't sure if it was some kind of trick or something rather than one of the contestants actually dying - these shows always seem to have a mole and/or a "stunt" to spice things up. Though it was enough to keep me watching, because either it was gonna make me happy and be the first reality show to kill reality "stars" or this show was what I thought it was supposed to be in the first place. And until reality TV starts killing reality "stars" I'm reasonably happy with killing them in a fictional context.

ETA: After posting this I looked it up:

Haven returns September 13th.
American Horror Story: Coven returns October 9th
The Walking Dead returns October 13th
Lost Girl returns November 10th

I can't find anything for Dr. Who or Being Human, but I assume they should both be returning soon. And while I can't find anything for Bates Motel I'm not worried, because it'll probably be after the new year before that one returns.

RJDiogenes

#144 Post by RJDiogenes » August 29th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Also, Once Upon A Time returns on September 29th.

PhoenixHope wrote:Yeah, I'm really behind on True Blood - as you may or may not remember I don't have HBO so I've always had to watch the DVDs, but I'm pretty sure I'm two seasons (if not three) behind right now.

I think it was season 6 that just finished up.

Alas on The Walking Dead I still haven't managed to get my hands on the first and second season. I'm hoping soon, because if not it'll probably be Dec./Jan. before I'd be able to have time to watch it.

Too bad we're not neighbors. I've got them both.

Though I can handle it (mostly) if I like the characters enough,

That's pretty much it. I like the actors and the characters and the show is entertaining.

I can't find anything for Dr. Who or Being Human, but I assume they should both be returning soon. And while I can't find anything for Bates Motel I'm not worried, because it'll probably be after the new year before that one returns.

Now that I think about it, Doctor Who might not be back until next year. There's an anniversary special and Christmas special, though, that will be on this year. Being Human will probably be back in January or February, if the last couple of years are any indication.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#145 Post by PhoenixHope » August 29th, 2013, 11:18 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:I think it was season 6 that just finished up.

And I can't remember if it was season three I last watched or season four. I think it was four, but I'm not sure - I'd have to look up episode titles/descriptions to be absolutely sure.

Okay, so I'm about half-way through season four - I was curious enough that I made myself check when I went offline last night. And the last episode I watched was the one where Jessica is ready to walk out into the sun. So, half-way through season four, right?

RJDiogenes wrote:Now that I think about it, Doctor Who might not be back until next year. There's an anniversary special and Christmas special, though, that will be on this year. Being Human will probably be back in January or February, if the last couple of years are any indication.

That sounds like Pretty Little Liars which just had it's summer finale, and won't be back full on until Jan., but will come back in October for a Halloween special. As for Being Human I thought the last couple seasons started along-side Lost Girl, but I wasn't sure.

RJDiogenes wrote:Too bad we're not neighbors. I've got them both.

Oh, I could Netflix them easily enough, but because of real life I've gotten a bit behind on my Netflixing, which is why I'm behind on not just True Blood, but Dexter, as well. And while I'd be okay with waiting until the final season finishes and comes out on DVD with Dexter (though I doubt I'll wait) I would kinda like to catch up on True Blood in the now, so it probably will be winter before I get into The Walking Dead. Though, to be fair, if we was neighbors I could Netflix True Blood and bum The Walking Dead from you.

RJDiogenes

#146 Post by RJDiogenes » August 30th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Good point about Being Human being paired with Lost Girl. I could have sworn it always starts sometime after Christmas, but I will be very happy if it starts in November.