Why do you write?

The place to discuss yogurt and other topics of culture or even create some of your own!

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Theophilus

Why do you write?

#1 Post by Theophilus » April 16th, 2010, 5:21 am

Easy enough question. Why?

Most of them time, I put up a barrier between myself and others. Most people cannot tell what my emotional state is. My boss, who is excellent at reading people, doesn't have a clue as to where I stand. I've even had close friends at times complain to me that I don't show enough emotion.

>insert 'emotional backstory about childhood that explains why I wall myself off' here<

So for me, writing my little snippets of whatever are a way of dismantling that wall a bit. To let out some of that creative emotional energy, and share myself emotionally with others.

That, and it's fun.

To die, in the rain.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Why do you write?

#2 Post by PhoenixHope » April 17th, 2010, 12:08 am

Not really an easy question at all.

I suppose most of the time I write simply because I get an idea that will not leave me alone until I actually start writing.

However, sometimes I simply start writing something because I'm bored. Sometimes what comes out works, but not always.

Other times I start writing because I'm trying to finish of a story in progress, but can't manage to get inspired to do so. Sometimes just starting to write something (even if it is pure bullshit) will help pull me back into the story and get things moving again - sometimes not.

In the end, I'm not really sure how much of myself ends up in my stories, because many times I'm actually writing characters that aren't like me, or at least not totally like me. It's really annoying when I get ideas for things and/or characters that are things I have no real experience with. I used to think I was done with homework once I was done with college, but I think sometimes I hate myself because I'm still "forcing" homework on myself.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

Santaman
Administrators

#3 Post by Santaman » April 17th, 2010, 6:16 pm

I started writing to improve my English a bit, as for the rest, not sure, "because I feel like it." is a good answer..
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

RJDiogenes

#4 Post by RJDiogenes » April 17th, 2010, 10:24 pm

"Talent does what it can. Genius does what it must." :D

There are a number of different reasons that I write, probably all overlapping in some way. I generally write stories and poetry for different reasons. The poetry is mostly more personal, but can also be motivated by a story-like impulse (and vice versa). So sometimes it is a feeling or experience or memory that I want to get on paper, to communicate with others, to express or teach or make a point. With stories, there's usually a point I want to make about Human nature or the Human experience and so on; also, I just have a head full of ideas, pictures, characters, dialogue, stories, situations, punchlines. It's like a zoo in here. So the bottom line is, whatever the subject or format, I am compelled to write.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

ghost07

#5 Post by ghost07 » September 5th, 2011, 8:58 am

I enjoy it...and it's relaxing too. Mostly, I like writing poetry, the rythyms get me going. Recently, I've grown to love Flash fiction. I like fitting a whole story into one hundred words or less. It's easier for people to read, too.
Where there is life, there is hope

NX2000

#6 Post by NX2000 » September 5th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Because the word hoard burns inside me,
the songs of the skalds ring inside me,
where the heroes of old, the warrior spirit
casts its defiance into the face
of it's enemies and the bone deep
apathy of this though-less world.
De Oppresso Liber - US Army SF
The only easy day was yesterday - USN SEALs

Chatty

#7 Post by Chatty » December 16th, 2015, 4:29 am

I write because it's fun. I may not share very much of it with the public (other than my RP writing in the Games forum), but I do enjoy it.

I didn't really start writing until I was older, never did any writing as a young-un/young adult. I guess I had to get older to be able to write about experiences, even if I put them in fictional settings.

And sometimes I like to write my game characters as they adventure through the games with me. I'm doing so with Olivia Amell in her remake of her DAO file.

I guess I have several reasons I write, but the biggest one is that I found out I enjoyed it.

RJDiogenes

#8 Post by RJDiogenes » December 17th, 2015, 1:11 am

And that's a very good reason. :)

Chatty

#9 Post by Chatty » December 17th, 2015, 4:20 am

Thanks RJ. Yeah, one must enjoy something or else it becomes a chore.

Like this STO grinding for the Breen ship. It's actually fun to try to run that slippery track and stay ahead of your 'opponent'. I even do it before I've had my morning coffee to make it more fun :lol:

RJDiogenes

#10 Post by RJDiogenes » December 17th, 2015, 11:45 pm

Not your morning Earl Gray? :D

Chatty

#11 Post by Chatty » December 18th, 2015, 12:51 am

Nope. Janeway and morning coffee all the way!