Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 11x10 "The Devil in the Details"

#51 Post by PhoenixHope » January 19th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Supernatural 11x10 "The Devil in the Details"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Lucifer offers Sam a costly way out of the cage; Dean and Castiel investigate the angel smiting that might have killed Amara.
This description doesn't make me happy, but as always this season I'm trying to reserve judgement until after seeing the episode. Pretty much what I've done all season long when the description leaves me feeling iffy.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: Supernatural Season Eleven Episode Discussion Thread

#52 Post by RJDiogenes » January 19th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Whoa, Supernatural is back. That almost got by me.

Agent Carter is back, too.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 11x10 "The Devil in the Details"

#53 Post by PhoenixHope » January 21st, 2016, 5:40 pm

Supernatural 11x10 The Devil in the Details

Hmm.

Well, I can say that based on that episode description I wasn't expecting this episode, which is altogether a good thing, really.

And I certainly didn't see that twist coming - the one with Cass not Rowena. Though I suppose based on the conversation he had with another angel earlier in the episode I should have, but I didn't. Or I guess I simply wasn't expecting that conversation to have immediate effects so to speak.
(Maybe if I was looking at spoilers this season I would have seen this coming, but honestly and pretty much unintentionally I've been avoiding spoilers this season because mostly I just haven't had the interest to go looking for them.)

I'm also admittedly kinda shocked they killed Rowena, since I didn't care for her character either way I figured she'd be one of those that was around forever (that's the way it tends to happen). Though admittedly there are a few characters (three, I think, I'm certain at least two) I'd be happier about being killed off than Rowena.

Honestly, though while I'm sure I didn't hate the episode I admit I don't think I loved it either, though aside from Lucifer taking the fandom position on season eight Sam (which implies it's wrong - seriously I could probably do a whole rant on that alone, though again I didn't even hate that as much as you might expect) there isn't anything I can point to and say I really didn't like.

And honestly since I'm planning to watch (or at least watch the pilot of) FOXs Lucifer now thanks to this episode I'm gonna probably be seeing Supernaturals devil behind the part.

But mostly there's just something about the overall of this episode that keeps me from loving it and maybe it's something that could be solved with a rewatch, but that's something I won't have time for until the weekend (unless the forecast is correct and we just a shit-ton of snow then I'll be home), or it could be that I was feeling a bit under the weather as I watched the episode. Who knows, maybe if I watch now that I'm feeling better I'll feel some love.

Plus I guess and I hate to say it, but I guess I'm just not sure MC is going to be able to pull off Lucifer as MP and JP did. It may change, but his performance during this episode was just a bit too much ham and I'm so done if he brings the cheese with that ham next time.
(But I'm sure based on that twist certain sections of fandom have exploded.)
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#54 Post by PhoenixHope » January 22nd, 2016, 6:35 pm

Okay, so I was right, I rewatched the episode again last night and I liked it much better than I did on the original watch. But I still can't say I loved it, which is weird, because the scenes between MP and JP should've been enough to make me love the episode (especially when it was clear Sam was getting to Lucifer as much if not more than Lucifer was getting to Sam) but somehow it just doesn't. Not to mention that opening dream scene of Rowena's, which was also a little bit awesome.

Some other notes is that it looks like Lucifer wasn't lying about Sam's visions - I mean, I guess it's still possible he was lying about the visions, but after the events of this episode that doesn't seem likely. And that's okay as long as it doesn't lead to some depressing Sam is depressed arc. And while he probably is lying about his brothers reaction to being caged (or at least over-stating it) I couldn't help but chuckle both times over that description.
(And, hey, look while it was flashback already filmed stuff - evidence of Adam! Honestly I don't even care about Adam all that much, but sometimes it's a bit ridiculous how far the show seems to sometimes go to forget him.)

And I suppose I should point out that I wasn't surprised when Rowena was killed in this episode, because the episode was heavily hinting it. And okay yes it heavily hinted something reckless with Cass was coming, but in that case I was expecting it to be something coming later in the season not later in the very episode I was watching. Though I still remain surprised they actually did kill Rowena off if that makes sense.

It also appears Heaven bringing the thunder (as Amara put it) hurt her more than she'd like to admit - obviously not enough that Cass with his blade could've killed her, but even with a bit of Angel food she's clearly not operating at a 100%. This seems to indicate that she could possibly be killed if all the angels got together and attacked, so that's probably not how Amara will be defeated. Based on previous seasons instead of something like that happening something will be pulled out of someone's ass at the eleventh hour.

But mostly I can't believe I forgot to mention Cass's new and now dead friend, because that was the first angel I've actually liked and been somewhat interested in a very long time. That actress just pulled that whole thing off beautifully and at least for the moment I'm sad she didn't last longer. However, I can admit that had she hung around I'd have probably tired of her rather quickly.

RJDiogenes

#55 Post by RJDiogenes » January 22nd, 2016, 11:31 pm

Wow, this sounds like an eventful episode. I probably won't get to see it until Sunday, unfortunately. I'm sad that Rowena's dead, though. I did like her. Oh, well, maybe she'll find a way back, powerful witch that she is.

RJDiogenes

#56 Post by RJDiogenes » January 24th, 2016, 10:02 pm

Heh. I loved Castiel acting like Lucifer.

Definitely too bad about Cass's new friend. She was adorable. Maybe all the Angels that the Darkness eats will be resurrected when she is defeated.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#57 Post by PhoenixHope » January 24th, 2016, 11:42 pm

See that part I kinda hated - I mean I can write if off (right now) as Lucifer just having been overly excited to be back, but if MC keeps playing it like he did at the end of the episode then -- well, I can't soften the blow because I'll literally hate it.
(On the other hand, there is potential for fun by having MC playing Lucifer trying to play Cass at least around Dean and Sam I'm just not sure that'll work out well either, because Supernaturals Lucifer has just never been a comedy machine and he shouldn't be turned into one now.)

As for Rowena coming back - it's Supernatural (and I'm kinda tired of being able to say that in regards to this show to be honest - probably why I'm so deeply in love with Billie right now), but then again she was basically killed by the devil so one would like to believe that would stick a bit more than if she'd be killed by some random or even Dean and/or Sam.

However, it's not just the stuff from the first paragraph that keeps me from being able to love this episode. I've worked it out and I think it's the potential plot-holes that this episode opens that keeps me from really loving this episode.

Remember the whole thing about angels "riding" humans is that it's a bloodline thing. When Lucifer took Nick over Sam poor Nick starting literally falling apart because he wasn't the proper vessel, so by all previously established (and I can hear Carver and company laughing as I type this) canon Jimmy's body should start falling apart quite like it did during that whole Leviathan story arc.

I mean I can think of ways around that and clearly have been, but it annoys me because I'm not a paid writer on this show so it's literally not my job to start patching holes the actual writers open up. They're the ones being paid to take care of things like this not me.

Anyway, while Jimmy has been an angel condom for years now he isn't a proper condom for Lucifer since that's been clearly established to be Sam Winchester.

I mean sometimes I think maybe Dean could become Lucifer's condom without decay (not that Dean would ever in a million years say yes unless it would be to save Sam), because his bloodline is the same as Sam's, but that's not the impression canon has given over the years. Canon has established that Sam is Lucifer's and Dean was (or should have been) Michael's (and my hand-wave there is that Adam wasn't hijacked long enough to start to breakdown like Nick did), which leaves one thinking despite having the same bloodline they aren't interchangeable despite that little Adam blip. *shakes head and moves away from tangent*

However, since the show is now playing that Jimmy is dead that means Cass has been riding around in Jimmy's corpse, because I don't think anyone can argue that if Cass (now Cass and Lucifer) leaves the body would finally drop since by the shows own story (CarverCanon) there's no human soul left in the body, so I could see that going either way. Because the human soul is long gone (CarverCanon) leaving the body itself a corpse it breaks down even faster than Nick did, or because it's a corpse Lucifer can hold it together better than Nick's body because we have seen that happen with demons - they keep even a fatally wounded body together until they leave it behind.

RJDiogenes

#58 Post by RJDiogenes » January 25th, 2016, 11:12 pm

I've been thinking about that, too, and I think that either the body will start to break down in an episode or two, or-- more likely-- they'll establish that Cass has been rebuilt by God so many times now that the body is now more Angel than Human.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 11x11 "Into the Mystic"

#59 Post by PhoenixHope » January 26th, 2016, 11:49 pm

Supernatural 11x11 "Into the Mystic"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
When people are met with violent deaths after listening to a mysterious song, Dean and Sam investigate.
Gee - I wonder if they couldn't have vagued that up a little more.

RJDiogenes

#60 Post by RJDiogenes » January 27th, 2016, 11:16 pm

"It's just a coincidence," says Justin Bieber.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 11x11 "Into the Mystic"

#61 Post by PhoenixHope » January 28th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Supernatural 11x11 Into the Mystic

Well, I suppose first it should be noted that it wasn't a song at all mysterious or otherwise - it was a high-pitched head-busting whine.

Honestly, I don't really have much to say about this episode, because while it isn't going to make my best episodes ever list I have to say it was rather engaging and interesting. Also, a nice little cool down from the last couple episodes.

The other interesting thing (outside of our newest hunter) is that Sam seems to be trying this new open and honest thing while Dean isn't just lying to Sam but until that scene with "Cass" I thought he was lying to himself, but apparently not so much he's just lying to Sam. This doesn't make me happy, but it's more an unhappiness with the writing rather than the character.
(Because that truly felt more a writing thing than an organic character thing since the show seems to be showing that Lucifer is apparently seriously about hunting and stopping the Darkness (I'm a bit surprised about that actually) and so yeah with that in mind he needs to know about the complications Dean is having, so in a certain way it makes sense but since Dean hasn't been shown to confide anymore in Cass than Sam it's more than a little weird from a character stand-point.)

PS - MC as Lucifer didn't seem quite as weird this time around giving me some slim hopes that it might work.

Next week is another matter entirely - the promos let me know that next week is the episode I've been planning not to watch all season. However, honestly I've given this some thought and I'm going to go ahead and DVR it, but won't be watching until I see some reviews/comments about the thing, because to be honest depending on how events in the episode play out I may have no interest in ever watching it.

Why? Well mostly because next weeks advertised hunter (Claire) has shown repeatedly that her instincts sucked ass - but not just any ass big old stinky unwiped ass (so much so that she should be kidnapped or dead already) so I have no interest in watching a story where she knows something is actually going on over those more experienced (not to mention so very much smarter) than she is. If the episode allows her to not just be wrong but be on some kind of wild goose chase then yeah I might be willing to watch otherwise I don't think I'd ever be able to muster the interest in watching because I've had enough of not just Claire but writers fiat catering to her to last a lifetime.

RJDiogenes

#62 Post by RJDiogenes » January 28th, 2016, 11:20 pm

A high-pitched head-busting whine. Sure sounds like Millennial music. :D

I'm sure Lucifer is committed to defeating the Darkness-- because that would make him the most powerful badass around again.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 11x12 "Don't You Forget About Me"

#63 Post by PhoenixHope » February 3rd, 2016, 1:01 am

Supernatural 11x12 "Don't You Forget About Me"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Claire thinks recent murders in town are supernatural and asks Sam and Dean for help.
Well, my plan of waiting to watch this episode might not work - it depends on several things. First does my new receiver arrive tomorrow and if so can I get it set up. If the answer to either of those is no then I won't even be able to DVR the episode to watch later.

Part of me doesn't heavily care, because I don't expect this episode to have Claire being wrong, so whatever!

RJDiogenes

#64 Post by RJDiogenes » February 3rd, 2016, 11:12 pm

Even if she is wrong, I'm sure the purpose of the episode is to develop her from problem child to Hunter. I'm much more interested in Eileen from last week.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 11x12 "Don't You Forget About Me"

#65 Post by PhoenixHope » February 4th, 2016, 1:41 am

Well, I still haven't decided yet - spent the time since I got my DVR set back up trying to track down the repeats of this weeks Pretty Little Liars and Shadowhunters - bonus is that this Saturday (I think) FOX is repeating the premiere episodes of X-Files and Lucifer so I can at least pick those up again.

I've got time, and should probably go ahead and redo the whole "record new episodes" thing for Supernatural, but really there's some B-Ball tonight and I'm thinking about recording Criminal Minds instead.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 11x12 "Don't You Forget About Me"

#66 Post by PhoenixHope » February 5th, 2016, 12:52 am

So, Criminal Minds was a repeat last night so I did DVR the episode of Supernatural but just can't muster any interest in watching. *sigh* I just wish this had been reversed and I'd been able to watch this weeks iZombie instead of this weeks Supernatural.

RJDiogenes

#67 Post by RJDiogenes » February 5th, 2016, 11:46 pm

I haven't seen it yet myself, so I can't offer any advice....

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 11x13 "Love Hurts"

#68 Post by PhoenixHope » February 10th, 2016, 1:04 am

Supernatural 11x13 "Love Hurts"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
While investigating murders on Valentine's Day, Sam and Dean find they are dealing with a curse.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 11x13 "Love Hurts"

#69 Post by PhoenixHope » February 13th, 2016, 7:13 pm

Okay, while I was really tired Wednesday night I background watched this one, but will freely admit that I retained very little so I decided to wait and watch again before reviewing. And sadly Thursday I ran outta time so the rewatch got pushed to Friday night.

Supernatural 11x13 Love Hurts

And ultimately after sitting through the rewatch I think I understand why this one couldn't keep my sleepy attention Wednesday night - it wasn't a horrible episode, but it was nowhere near the ballpark of Supernatural Valentine episodes past. It tried, I'll give it that, but was still ultimately more than a little bland.

On the other hand, this whole episode was more than a little bit redeemed with the conversation between Dean and Sam in the end.

Still this was a bit of a wait for not much review.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 11x14 "The Vessel"

#70 Post by PhoenixHope » February 17th, 2016, 1:12 am

Supernatural 11x14 "The Vessel"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Dean needs to go back in time to find a weapon that is powerful enough to defeat Amara.

RJDiogenes

#71 Post by RJDiogenes » February 17th, 2016, 11:02 pm

Hmm. Back in time. To when? The beginning of the universe? This should be interesting.

I thought the Valentine's Day episode was okay. The actress who played the wife was good and I liked Dean impulsively taking on the curse.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Supernatural 11x14 "The Vessel"

#72 Post by PhoenixHope » February 19th, 2016, 12:54 am

Supernatural 11x14 The Vessel

Okay, so I did the same thing with Supernatural that I did with iZombie and didn't jot down any thoughts while watching.

However, admittedly I didn't think I needed to because I thought I'd retain Supernatural a little better, but apparently not.

Obviously, Lucifer is out of the bag with both Dean and Sam, and yet I can't seem to get past Crowley in chains. Well, that and Sam boggarting all the coffee - bad Sam. Seriously, I'd at least have to kick him in the shins for that.

But mostly I think I just can't help but feel this episode was overall pointless - Dean goes back in time to get a weapon, and then comes back only to find said weapon won't work more than once so pretty pointless. I mean they only thing lasting this episode did was allow Sam and then Dean to learn Cass isn't Cass anymore, and that could've been done in just about any ol' episode.

Of course, I'm just starting to feel very MEH over the whole Darkness arc anyway. Here's an enemy that they shouldn't actually be able to kill and yet I'm suspecting by the end of the season that's exactly what'll happen. And it just leaves me with Death flashbacks, because that's another being they shouldn't have been able to kill and yet that's exactly what happened so you know it's gonna happen again and that just leaves me all MEH.

Of course, I'm still chuckling over last weeks "Dad Bod" so it's not all bad.

RJDiogenes

#73 Post by RJDiogenes » February 19th, 2016, 11:28 pm

They'll probably figure out some way to recharge the weapon. And it will probably involve Megatron.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Supernatural 11x15 "Beyond the Mat"

#74 Post by PhoenixHope » February 24th, 2016, 1:31 am

Supernatural 11x15 "Beyond the Mat"

Episode Description
(From My DISHGuide)
Dean and Sam decide to take a break and attend the funeral of a wrestler they were fans of as kids.

RJDiogenes

#75 Post by RJDiogenes » February 24th, 2016, 11:17 pm

"Sorry, Amara, your Apocalypse will have to wait. We must go pay our respects to Hulk Hogan."