Seeing them live put you off?

"Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away" - Dobie Gray

Moderator: Aurian

LilyPadd

Seeing them live put you off?

#1 Post by LilyPadd » October 28th, 2004, 3:15 pm

Recently, during the Edinburgh festival I went to see Dido. I absolutely loved her music before I went to see it, but after watching her performance it's kinda put me off. She seemed really stuck up and had no banter at all with her fans. There was very little talking and she didn't do much except her songs. Now I know I'm probably used to seeing people who are showmen as well as performers ie Robbie Williams, Barenaked Ladies, Chilis...but I was disappointed and its kinda put me off.

Anyone else feel this way about anyone?

Niorah

#2 Post by Niorah » October 28th, 2004, 6:58 pm

Alanis Morrissette kind of put me down, I was expecting a concert much more"powerful" than what I saw, but I guess she was just in her "Thank you India" phase, so it was all very low profile, she even made an arrangement of one of my favourite songs ( You oughta know ) that turned it from an angry, bitchy song to a no-thrills almost acoustic ballad... :death:

Fairy Nuff

#3 Post by Fairy Nuff » October 28th, 2004, 7:21 pm

Avril Lavigne - I've never seen her live live, but her live TV performances really put me off her... diabolically bad. Ditto Mel C.
Little Bunny Foo Foo, hopping through the forest
Scooping up the fieldmice and bopping them on the head

Santaman
Administrators

#4 Post by Santaman » October 28th, 2004, 7:44 pm

I would LOVE to see Jean-Michel Jarre perform i own the DVD of the Moscow concert and its absolutely breathtaking :D 3.5+ million spectators.

8)
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

Tricorder

#5 Post by Tricorder » October 28th, 2004, 7:49 pm

Well, there's this band from Nova Scotia called The Sons of Maxwell. Well, I liked their sound and this summer they came to a festival where 2 other acts we knew were playing, so me and my Dad decided to go. The other Act I was looking forward to were the Arrogant Worms. Well, The Sons of Maxwell were too loud! I'm talking loud to the point where when they're singing, you can't hear the words, that everything comes up in a jumble. I think that's what they call the Saturation Point. That was a disappointment. I don't mind loud, but I also like to be able to hear the words. The Arrogant Worms were better than I imagined and I wasn't so excited at first about them, but I came away a fan. I bought their live album with the orchestra a few weeks later.

Theophilus

#6 Post by Theophilus » September 23rd, 2005, 5:57 am

WHen I saw Oribtal in concert, they were way too loud for the venue. I ended up holding my ears for the whole night, trying to block out some of the loudness. WHich is a real shame, because I REALLY enjoy Orbital.

Paul van Dyke puts on a good show, depending on the venue. He caan be really entertaining, or he can bore a person to death.

To die, in the rain.

BlackDog

#7 Post by BlackDog » September 23rd, 2005, 10:04 am

The first time I saw Bob Dylan live he was terrible. He stood there like a kid whose mother had forced him into performing, he mumbled so badly I didn't know what song he was doing till it was half over, he didn't move or acknowledge the audience in any way. If it had been anyone but His Bobness I might have been put off seeing him again... but he's known for his off days, it's always a risk when you go see him.

I saw him again a year later with my husband (although we weren't yet married at that time) - and you wouldn't have known it was the same man. He was alight with it, sparkling, on fire, holding us all in the palm of his hand - a Hammersmith Odeon-full of people screaming, crying, dancing, singing along and all of us thinking WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!! It had gone from an indifferent school play in a church hall to a revival meeting. Bob Dylan is God.
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope an' throw an' brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide

The Men They Couldn't Hang

Captain Prudentilla Bonney