Recipes

The friendly forum for chat and perhaps a virtual coffee

Moderators: Duracell, KatyJane, Aurian

Zog

Recipes

#1 Post by Zog » September 15th, 2005, 8:44 pm

Chatty and Edana wanted a thread on this topic, so here it is.
I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.

- John Burroughs

Chatty

#2 Post by Chatty » September 15th, 2005, 8:48 pm

In the wintertime I love a cup of this:

Russian Tea mix:

* 1/2 cup instant tea powder
* 2 cups orange-flavored drink mix (e.g. Tang)
* 3 ounces lemonade-flavor drink powder
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, mix together powdered drink mixes, sugar, and spices. Place in jars.
2. Instructions to include with gift:

1. Place 2 to 3 rounded teaspoonfuls in a cup.
2. Add boiling water and serve.

Zog

#3 Post by Zog » September 15th, 2005, 8:50 pm

CHAI!!!!!!! :D

1 1/2 quarts water
4 black tea bags
10 whole cardamom seeds
2 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
3 tablespoons white sugar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the tea bags, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, and black pepper, then return to a boil. Immediately stir in sugar.
Remove pot from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.

- John Burroughs

Edana

#4 Post by Edana » September 15th, 2005, 9:02 pm

Balsamic Chicken

This isn't my recipe. I got it from a poster on another board. :)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 or 3 carrots

1 onion

Balsalmic vinegar

3 Tbsp olive oil

Flour

Rosemary

Directions

Grate the carrots and slice the onion in thin slices. Coat the chicken in flour. Brown the chicken breasts in olive oil. Don't cook them through. When browned, remove from the pan. Add the carrots and onion and saute until somewhat soft. Then add enough balsalmic vinegar to cover the veggies. Put the browned chicken breasts on top of the veggies, add rosemary to taste, and cover the pan. Let cook until the chicken is done. Enjoy!
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart ~ Kahlil Gibran

Chatty

#5 Post by Chatty » September 15th, 2005, 9:08 pm

This is a chicken dish my mom made a lot.

Chicken and Rice

1-2½ to 3 lb chicken, cut up, or the equivalent in parts
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 cup of raw rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can of water
splash of lemon juice

Line a 13 x 9 inch sheet cake pan with aluminum foil and rub with butter or spray with butter flavor cooking spray.

Sprinkle raw rice evenly over bottom of pan.

Skin chicken, if desired and arrange in one layer on top of rice.

Mix together soup, water and lemon juice and pour evenly over all.

Sprinkle dry onion soup mix evenly over top. Cover with foil.

Bake in a 325°F oven for 2 hours.

Serves 6-8.

I would recommend using bone-in chicken pieces due to the long cooking time. Boneless breast may overcook and dry out.

Santaman
Administrators

#6 Post by Santaman » September 15th, 2005, 9:09 pm

Jersey Lightning:

Ingredients
1 1/2 oz. Apple Brandy
1/2 oz. Sweet Vermouth
Juice of 1 Lime
Mixing Instruction
Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

*hiccup..* :p
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

Theophilus

#7 Post by Theophilus » September 16th, 2005, 3:41 am

Chicken Pot Pie ala Darren (my brother)

Ingredients:
2 frozen pie shells
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small bag frozen mixed vegetables.
1 package of of about 4 chicken breasts.

Directions:
Preheat oven according to pie shell directions.
Cut the chicken into bite size chunks. (I find this is easiest to do if chicken is at least partially frozen).
Combine chicken chunks and cream of chicken in pot, cook on low heat until chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
Cook mixed vegetables according to instructions on package.
Pour ingredients into one pie shell. I usually layer them, to ensure a more even distribution of chicken and vegetables. Cover with other shell. Cut several slits in top of shell to allow steam and such to escape. Cook for about 30 minutes until the top shell is golden brown.

This stuff is good served either hot or even right out of the refrigerator.

To die, in the rain.

Chatty

#8 Post by Chatty » September 16th, 2005, 12:10 pm

This is a favorite just about anytime:

Potato-Hamburger Soup

6 medium potatoes, diced
1 pound of hamburger
¼ cup of flour
1 cup of sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Place potatoes in a large saucepan with enough water to cover and boil until tender.

Meanwhile, brown hamburger in a skillet until done, add flour and stir till flour is absorbed.

When potatoes are done, add hamburger/flour mixture and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste and add sour cream. Stir until sour cream is mixed in and soup is thickened and bubbly.

Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.

Serves 6-8

Theophilus

#9 Post by Theophilus » September 16th, 2005, 3:00 pm

Atomic Dog's Throw Together Pinto Beans-

Easy bachelor food-

Take a bag of pinto beans. Put in a pot of water and bring to a boil. (The water should cover the beans) When you reach a roiling boil, cut off the heat and cover. Let sit for a couple of hours. (This frees a lot of dirt and debris from the beans. (After this stage, if you aren't ready to cook the beans, you can freeze them.)

After a couple of hours, pour the water out and rinse your beans off. Put the rinsed beans back into a pot of water. The water should just barely cover the beans. Add a handful of brown sugar. Put in a good amount of honey. (Probably about 4 ounces give or take). About 8-12 ounces of a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce. A generous amount of cut up bacon pieces. (You can't add to much bacon.) Simmer for 6-8 hours.

As this stuff cooks, your house will fill with a marvelous aroma as the brown sugar and everthing cooks. I find that they are good by themselves, or with some grated cheddar cheese on top. You might have some biscuits or cornbread on the side to go with the beans.

To die, in the rain.

Chatty

#10 Post by Chatty » September 20th, 2005, 2:17 pm

While I love cooking from scratch there are a few shortcuts that I do like:

Frozen biscuits: I can cook only what I need and there's no floury mess to clean up afterwards. Canned biscuits, OTOH, taste..........well...........canned while frozen taste more like a homemade biscuit.

Frozen dumplings: Like frozen biscuits, no floury mess to clean up and taste just as good as homemade.

Frozen dinner rolls: I could use my bread machine if I started it on time but if I needed rolls right now, frozen are best, they taste homemade.

Canned crescent rolls: About the only canned bread I like to use. They're good for a lot more than just a dinner rolls, too-you can stuff them with any number of things and bake them for a quick turnover or use them as a crust for chichen pie, etc.

Minute rice: Just as good as regular rice in a fraction of the time.

Mashed potato flakes: I like making mashed potatoes from scratch but when I'm in a hurry they're a good substitute. They're also good for more than just quick mashed potatoes-you could use them to thicken some soups, add them to meatloaf mix, or use them in breading meat for frying.

Last but not least:

Frozen pie shells: The kind you unfold and put in your pie pan. They can also be used for turnovers, chicken pie, etc. No muss, no fuss.

VulcanKitten

#11 Post by VulcanKitten » September 21st, 2005, 8:26 pm

As requested: Pasta sauce alla Should-originally-have-been-simple-Bolognese
Created with generous help from SpaceBall.

Two onions
As much garlic as you can take
500 g minced meat (and maybe some bacon)
500 g vegetables - carrots, cellery, bell peppers, zucchini, olives, anything.
1/4 bottle red wine
One bottle - 1/2 lt - of that mashed tomato stuff
One glass - 250 g - sugo with herbs
1/2 lt water
Salt, pepper, herbs, spices, chilli

- Chop onions and garlic, cut veggies in fine pieces.
- Brown onions (salted!), garlic and meat in some olive oil, add more salt and other spices.
- Add veggies, keep stirring while they start to get a little soft.
- Add wine, stir again and then add tomato stuff and water.
- Let cook, add spices, let cook some more, add spices, let cook. Until it tastes the way you want it.
- Serve with pasta, and next time don't forget to bring cheese!
"I'm always constantly mortified [no pun intended] at the continual degredation of people grammer and spelling on the net..."

VISTA: Virus inside - switch to Apple.

Chatty

#12 Post by Chatty » September 27th, 2005, 7:16 pm

http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/MiniCinnmnCkes.asp

This sounds really good, I'm going to have to try it sometime :drool:

Cato

#13 Post by Cato » October 3rd, 2005, 5:18 am

Ever since hurricane Katrina shredded New Orleans I've been really feeling my roots. I knew I had a lot of family with Cajun background, and so I called my mom to make sure they were all OK. No worries on that point, as they are all in Northern Louisiana. But during our phone conversations we got to talking about food (as all good cajuns do).

So, I've been really feeling my roots and cooking a lot of good cajun and creole dishes lately. Some recipes I got from my mom -- old family stuff. Some I've found online.

Here's a good site: http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html

And here's the best recipe of the bunch -- and honestly the greatest thing I've ever cooked in my life. It's not really cajun, but it will work.

New Orleans style Red Beans and Rice.

Start two days before you want to serve it. Start by getting 1 lb of red kidney beans (reasonibly fresh). Put them in a big pot, cover with water, cover the pot and leave it on the counter to soak overnight. You will need the beans covered by at least an inch of water, because they will swell as they soak.

The next day/evening, do your cooking. First, drain the beans, rinse thoroughly, put back in the pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Once they are boiling, cover and boil for an hour -- stirring every 10 minutes or so. Make sure they are always covered with water and aren't sticking to the bottom. Either one will make them taste horrible.

While the beans are boiling, finely dice an onion, a green bell pepper, and five or so celery stalks -- the "holy trinity" of cajun cooking. Saute them in olive oil. When the onion starts getting translucent, add about 5 or 6 cloves of minced garlic. Let it cook for a few more minutes, and then take off the heat.

After the beans have been boiling for an hour, drain them again. Put them back in the pot, add the veggies, and then add about a pound of sliced smoked sausage, a pound of diced smoked ham, a teaspoon or so of dried thyme, a bay leaf or two, some tabasco (as much as you want), a bit of whorchestershire sauce, and a tablespoon or more of creole seasoning (buy at the store, or make your own by cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and anything else you want). Cover with water (not too much), bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 or 3 hours. As the water starts boiling out, the sauce will thicken up a lot. It'll get really creamy. Again, make sure as it cooks that nothing sticks to the bottom.

When it's done, let it cool and refrigerate over night. The next day, add a bit of water, put it back on the stove and reheat it. Serve it hot over fresh long-grain rice with a good french bread and a good beer. Finish the meal with a little Bananas Foster or a bread pudding with rum sauce.

Wonderful. It also reheats well for lunches.
Worthy is the Lamb that was slain.
He is all I need.

Chatty

#14 Post by Chatty » October 3rd, 2005, 1:11 pm

One of the only ways I like red beans :drool:

Also one of the only ways my husband eats rice.

Theophilus

#15 Post by Theophilus » October 3rd, 2005, 1:45 pm

Here's something a little different for breakfast.

Take a slice of bread. Butter boths sides of it. Take a drinking glass, and use it to cut out the center of the bread. Put the piece with the center cut out in a skillet. Crack an egg and put the egg in the ceter of the slice. Cook. The bread should be a golden brown on both sides. I find the egg is usually cooked to a good -over medium- like this.

Just a little something different that I do sometimes that I thought I'd share.

To die, in the rain.

Chatty

#16 Post by Chatty » October 3rd, 2005, 1:47 pm

^My brother calls those an egg in a bagel ;)

I melt the butter in the preheated skillet :)

desert rose

#17 Post by desert rose » October 4th, 2005, 8:38 pm

This is a great drink for when you have a cold

HOT TODDY:

Whisky
Water
Lemon
Honey
Sugar (optional)

Boil the water.
Add it to either a single or double shot of whisky (individual choice).
Add 1 or 2 tsp honey (also individual choice).
Squeeze in lemon.
Stir in sugar if required.
Drink while hot.

Go straight to bed afterwards and it should help you sleep.
Strife comes with manhood,
And waking with day.

Chatty

#18 Post by Chatty » October 26th, 2005, 9:19 pm

This recipe came from South Beach Diet Plan, a forum I've joined since I'm on the South Beach Diet.

It's not my recipe but I am going to try it as soon as I can find some WW lasagna noodles.

FYI-WW=whole wheat

This is my version of crockpot lasagna. My family loves it! There are 4 of us and it makes enough for two meals with large servings.

8 whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 lb ground sirloin or low fat ground turkey
1 tsp Italian seasoning
28 oz jar of spaghetti sauce (I use tomato sauce and season to suit myself)
1/3 cup water
15 oz. ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
veggies -- mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc.

Saute veggies with non stick spray or cook lightly in the microwave and add to sauce. Set aside. Brown meat and add to sauce. Add 1/3 cup water to sauce.

Break noodles in half. Place in bottom of greased slow cooker.
Layer 1/2 of sauce mixture over noodles. Top with 1/2 of the ricotta cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
Cover and cook on low.

It only take 2 1/2 to 3 hours in my crockpot, but the original recipe I altered called for 5 hours. (My crockpot seems to cook faster.)

Enjoy with a nice big salad. My favorite is to marinate diced tomato, cucumber and onion in a blend of Italian dressing and water (to lessen strength and calories). Then drain and serve over a bed of spinach or romaine lettuce.

Enjoy.

I would layer it like you would a normal lasagna, noodles, ricotta, sauce, cheese, repeat until you used up everything instead of having all the noodles on the bottom. That's the way I'm going to try it.

VulcanKitten

#19 Post by VulcanKitten » December 24th, 2005, 4:40 pm

Christmas Roastbeef – my style
Another new creation. Seems that holidays boost my creativity. I’m just not sure if you can still call that roastbeef. Serves two, maybe three. And excuse my lack of kitchen jargon. :p

2 thick slices of roastbeef
2 hands full of walnuts, chopped
1 small piece of field garlic
Butter
Tad of olive oil
Salt, pepper, flour
1 spoon of sugar
1 cup (literally) of clear soup
1 cl Whiskey
That little rest of whipping cream hiding in your fridge

Heat butter and oil, brown the meat (salted and peppered) from both sides, put it into a fireproof dish.
Brown the field garlic with a generous ammount of pepper, then add a big spoon of flour, half of the walnuts and the sugar. Pour over the soup and the whiskey, let it all cook into a thick sauce, then add cream.
Cover the meat with the sauce, sprinkle everything with the remaining walnuts, and put into oven for half an hour (or so).

Serve with peas and rice.
"I'm always constantly mortified [no pun intended] at the continual degredation of people grammer and spelling on the net..."

Santaman
Administrators

#20 Post by Santaman » December 24th, 2005, 4:42 pm

Hmmm.... :drool:

Santaman
Administrators

#21 Post by Santaman » September 11th, 2006, 10:42 am

Saving this here so I won't lose the damn recipe again...

Bourbon Brownies

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine
¼ cup water
12 oz. Package of semisweet chocolate morsels (2 cups)
½ cup of bourbon
2 tsp vanilla
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 (2 oz.) square of chocolate-flavoured candy coating

Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add morsels and next 2 ingredients, stirring until morsels melt. Gradually stir in eggs. Combine flour, soda, and salt’ add to chocolate mixture, mixing well. Stir in nuts. Spoon batter into a greased 15x10x1 inch jellyroll pan. Bake at 325 for 15 to 20 min. Cool on a wire rack.

Combine ½ cup butter, powdered sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread over brownie layer; cover and chill.

Place candy coating in a small heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Microwave at Medium (50% power) for 2 min. or until the coating melts. Smip a small hole in one corner of the bag; drizzle over brownies. Cover and chill until coating hardens.

VulcanKitten

#22 Post by VulcanKitten » September 11th, 2006, 8:05 pm

NOOOO!
My secred brownies recipe! :o :death: *grumbles*

Santaman
Administrators

#23 Post by Santaman » September 11th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Aww come on, at least you can't lose it again now.. ;)

curiousa2z

#24 Post by curiousa2z » September 12th, 2006, 1:52 am

jumps in -

this sounds wonderful...! :drool:

Thank you, VK!! :D
SHINY!

Duracell
Tinpot Dictator

#25 Post by Duracell » September 19th, 2006, 7:38 pm

I need recipies for polenta. pretty please :D