Foreign music...

"Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away" - Dobie Gray

Moderator: Aurian

HopefulNebula

Foreign music...

#1 Post by HopefulNebula » October 27th, 2004, 12:26 am

So do any of you listen to any music from foreign countries? If you're American, the Beatles and Alanis Morissette don't count; I'm talking foreign language, whether or not you actually speak the language.

I'm currently in love with this French band called Kyo. They're a lot like Counting Crows. And just so you know, "currently" means I've been listening to them for about a year now, and exposed to them for about twice that.
Nebby@Dreamwidth - Nebby@Twitter

Quote of the Whenever:

"Oh, great. I come back from the dead and first thing I see is an iPod trying to kill me."

EvilTree

#2 Post by EvilTree » October 27th, 2004, 12:55 am

Does trance from Holland, Germany and Italy count? ;)
Self control is chief element in self respect. Self respect is chief element in courage.
-Thucydides

Theophilus

#3 Post by Theophilus » October 27th, 2004, 1:30 am

Or what about Spanish trance music?

I can enjoy some tejano music every now and then, and even some polkas. Not that I can tell the difference between Spanish, German, and Polish polkas, but still, I enjoy them from time to time. A college radio station that I used to listen to (KTCU) had an Irish hour (or was it a half hour?) that I also enjoyed listening to.

To die, in the rain.

Rocketman
Technical guru

#4 Post by Rocketman » October 27th, 2004, 4:06 am

Mm, just counted my music collection:

Merrykah: 15
Dutchland: 5
Freedom: 7
Russia: 2
Bulgaria: 1
Brazil: 1
Cuba: 1
Finland: 1
Norway: 1
Scotland: 4
Germany: 16
England: 6

Tricorder

#5 Post by Tricorder » October 27th, 2004, 4:28 am

I don't think Foreign music necessarily have to mean it's in a different language. For example, my favourite band Great Big Sea is from Canada and would be Foreign for many of you.

HopefulNebula

#6 Post by HopefulNebula » October 27th, 2004, 5:09 am

I know. My favorite band is Canadian too. I suppose it's not so much language, but seeing what music gets where. It's like Canadian music is more common here than it is in Europe.

Quote of the Whenever:

"Oh, great. I come back from the dead and first thing I see is an iPod trying to kill me."

Tricorder

#7 Post by Tricorder » October 27th, 2004, 5:14 am

Then I guess you could classify Foreign as World Music.

HopefulNebula

#8 Post by HopefulNebula » October 27th, 2004, 5:28 am

I suppose so. It's was actually originally "foreign language music" but for some reason which I don't remember, I ended up choosing to delete "language."

Quote of the Whenever:

Pádraig the Blue

#9 Post by Pádraig the Blue » October 27th, 2004, 7:02 am

Has anyone heard of Altan? John Doherty? Annbjørg Lien? Yggdrasil? Sorten Muld? JPP? Buddy McMaster? Dermot McLaughlin? Tommy Peoples? Patrick Street? Kevin Burke? Proinsias Ó Maonaigh? Ciaran Tourish? Paddy Canny? Pady Fahey? Brave Old World? the Klezmatics? Katherine Tickell? Paddy Moloney? Paddy Glackin? Knut Reiersrud? Old Blind Dogs? the Tannahil Weavers? Sìleas? Aly Bain? Johnny Cunningham (RIP)? Liz Doherty? Gerry Harington? Willie Clancy? MIchael Coleman? Paddy Keenan? Matt Molloy? Andy Irvine? The Bothy Band? Planxty? De Danann? Brian Hughes? Dervish? Pádraic Mac Mathúna? Maighread agus Tríona agus Michéal Ó Dhomhnaill?

Hmmm....

Yes, essentially all I listen to is foreign to an american. Save for a bit of bluegrass, modern (1930 to present) popular music, and classical.

Niorah

#10 Post by Niorah » October 27th, 2004, 7:08 am

I listen to a lot of Italian music... :wink:

I have a few things from other Countries, among others I have Maori music, Scottish bagpipe music, Argentinian Tangos, stuff like that...

Eviltree what kind of trance from Italy do you listen to...?

Fairy Nuff

#11 Post by Fairy Nuff » October 27th, 2004, 10:02 am

NX2000 wrote:Has anyone heard of Altan? John Doherty? Annbjørg Lien? Yggdrasil? Sorten Muld? JPP? Buddy McMaster? Dermot McLaughlin? Tommy Peoples? Patrick Street? Kevin Burke? Proinsias Ó Maonaigh? Ciaran Tourish? Paddy Canny? Pady Fahey? Brave Old World? the Klezmatics? Katherine Tickell? Paddy Moloney? Paddy Glackin? Knut Reiersrud? Old Blind Dogs? the Tannahil Weavers? Sìleas? Aly Bain? Johnny Cunningham (RIP)? Liz Doherty? Gerry Harington? Willie Clancy? MIchael Coleman? Paddy Keenan? Matt Molloy? Andy Irvine? The Bothy Band? Planxty? De Danann? Brian Hughes? Dervish? Pádraic Mac Mathúna? Maighread agus Tríona agus Michéal Ó Dhomhnaill?

Not just heard of, but had whole conversations with Kathryn Tickell and Aly Bain and seen/met many of the others. Bet you didn't expect that for an answer ;)

I listen to plenty of folk music from countries other than England, much of it in their own language. But I have to confess I like listening to things I can sing along to, which means I only tend to buy things in English. Or instrumental.
Little Bunny Foo Foo, hopping through the forest
Scooping up the fieldmice and bopping them on the head

Santaman
Administrators

#12 Post by Santaman » October 27th, 2004, 11:49 am

Lets see...

English: Keane, Brian Eno, Depeche mode, O.M.D., William Orbit, Faithless and a few more..

USA: Anastacia, Moby, Ray Lynch, David Bowie, Evanescence, and a few more..

Germany: Tangerine dream, Kraftwerk, Rammstein.
France: Jean-Michel Jarre, Daft Punk.

Russia: PPK

Australia: AC/DC

Italian: Paulo Conte

And Holland: Tiesto, Ferry Corsten.... etc

I think that sums up the main stuff.
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

Theophilus

#13 Post by Theophilus » October 27th, 2004, 2:02 pm

NX2000, you should try and find some Ashley MacIsaac. I think you would enjoy them. They blend Scottish/Irish stuff with modern music. Them even done some rock songs in Gaelic.

I used to really enjoy their stuff til some lowlife robbed me.

To die, in the rain.

Niorah

#14 Post by Niorah » October 27th, 2004, 3:01 pm

Santaman wrote:
USA: Anastacia, Moby, Ray Lynch, David Bowie, Evanescence, and a few more..

Ehm ehm... Bowie is as British as they come... and currently resides in Switzerland, please do not mix him with the US... :? :wink: :lol:

Theophilus

#15 Post by Theophilus » October 27th, 2004, 3:09 pm

Isn't Benny Benassi 8) Italian?

To die, in the rain.

Niorah

#16 Post by Niorah » October 27th, 2004, 3:14 pm

He is, but he's not exactly a musician, if I'm not mistaken he's a DJ... :shock:

I think he gathers most part of his success in France and Germany though, I don't know, I never heard a lot about him in Italy...

Pádraig the Blue

#17 Post by Pádraig the Blue » October 27th, 2004, 9:23 pm

Atomic_Dog wrote:NX2000, you should try and find some Ashley MacIsaac. I think you would enjoy them. They blend Scottish/Irish stuff with modern music. Them even done some rock songs in Gaelic.

I used to really enjoy their stuff til some lowlife robbed me.

No.

I don't particularily care for Natalie MacMaster, or Leahy, or the Chieftains anymore. I'm a fiddler whose taste and style is the Pure Drop. If you mix it wit anyting else other than the basics, I'm not really going to care for it...

And let me listen to the Séan Nós instead of Celtic rock.... sorry, but what a lot of modern musos these days have to ITM really makes me sad.

SpaceBall
Technical guru

#18 Post by SpaceBall » October 27th, 2004, 9:47 pm

ayumi hamasaki
yoko kanno
M0N0 - their album: Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered And The Sun Shined rocks .. !!
Kodo.
Origa.
Yuki Kajiura

euro tras... trance ... <g>
-
Image I am SpaceBall and I approve this message.Image

Tricorder

#19 Post by Tricorder » October 27th, 2004, 10:18 pm

Going with what you said, Atomic, I think you'd like Aselin Debison. Great singer from Nova Scotia and she was only 14 when she recorded her album!

BunRab

#20 Post by BunRab » October 28th, 2004, 4:13 am

NX2000 wrote:Has anyone heard of Altan? John Doherty? Annbjørg Lien? Yggdrasil? Sorten Muld? JPP? Buddy McMaster? Dermot McLaughlin? Tommy Peoples? Patrick Street? Kevin Burke? Proinsias Ó Maonaigh? Ciaran Tourish? Paddy Canny? Pady Fahey? Brave Old World? the Klezmatics? Katherine Tickell? Paddy Moloney? Paddy Glackin? Knut Reiersrud? Old Blind Dogs? the Tannahil Weavers? Sìleas? Aly Bain? Johnny Cunningham (RIP)? Liz Doherty? Gerry Harington? Willie Clancy? MIchael Coleman? Paddy Keenan? Matt Molloy? Andy Irvine? The Bothy Band? Planxty? De Danann? Brian Hughes? Dervish? Pádraic Mac Mathúna? Maighread agus Tríona agus Michéal Ó Dhomhnaill?

Well, you know I have most of those. I just heard about Sileas recently, from someone on LJ. She was looking for more of their stuff - she has one album. Do you happen to know how many there are?

Let's see, what else do I have in the "foreign" category? Here's a couple of CDs of Indian "classical" violin and drumming; over there's the album of Polish and Canadian sea chanteys, not to mention the zillions of albums of sea chanteys from the assorted isles and islands; here's the stack of Japanese jazz, and for some reason every artist's last name seems to be Watanabe even though they're all different people; and of course, there's the stack of salsa, mariachi, conjunto, and various other Mexican and border-Mex, plus a bunch of central and South American songs - Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia; some Brazilian jazz in another corner...
BunRab
"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you must, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present."
-Marcus Aurelius

Rid

#21 Post by Rid » October 28th, 2004, 10:09 am

Sorten Muld
Hehe you know them??
I know the bassplayer and they are also located here in Aarhus.
(Well used to) 8)
Time is up....

Pádraig the Blue

#22 Post by Pádraig the Blue » October 28th, 2004, 5:50 pm

Rid wrote:
Sorten Muld
Hehe you know them??
I know the bassplayer and they are also located here in Aarhus.
(Well used to) 8)

Yerra. Although only a wee sma' bit. I managed to borrow through our library system here a compilation disk of a lot of scandinavian stuff, and they were on there. hopefully when I have some more money, I'll be able to get a cd or two of their's through the web.

Tricorder

#23 Post by Tricorder » October 28th, 2004, 7:36 pm

NX, you'd probably like The Cottars. I think I posted about them before. They're strictly traditional with a few original songs here and there, but nothing Pop.

http://www.thecottars.com/
Last edited by Tricorder on October 28th, 2004, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santaman
Administrators

#24 Post by Santaman » October 28th, 2004, 7:38 pm

Naw NX2000 should try Dennis Leary... :evil:
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

Duracell
Tinpot Dictator

#25 Post by Duracell » October 28th, 2004, 9:04 pm

I have classical music and opera by foreghn composers. I also have a selection of latino music