What are you watching?

"The stuff dreams are made of."

Moderator: PhoenixHope

curiousa2z

Re: What are you watching?

#76 Post by curiousa2z » January 18th, 2011, 7:44 pm

RJ, let me know how Being Human is...I dont get the ScFi Channel, but the ads seem promising....
SHINY!

RJDiogenes

#77 Post by RJDiogenes » January 19th, 2011, 12:48 am

It was better than I expected. The characters are likable enough that you care what happens to them, but they have some really rough edges. One in particular has done something very bad in the pilot. And this episode had the best cliffhanger I've seen in a long time-- it's a real nail-biter. I also found the actors to be quite good and appealing (also, the guy who played Jacob in Lost has a supporting role). If they show it on your local genre channel (Space, isn't it?), I would recommend watching it.

huggle, that documentary about Gilgamesh sounds interesting. I hope History Channel shows it here.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

Grim

#78 Post by Grim » January 19th, 2011, 8:22 am

What was the "very bad" thing? I'm interested to know if they're rehashing plots from the original series or if they're going in their own direction.

RJDiogenes

#79 Post by RJDiogenes » January 19th, 2011, 10:16 am

BEWARE OF SPOILERS!

He was on a date with a girl who came on to him, lost control and killed her.

END SPOILERS.

huggle

#80 Post by huggle » January 20th, 2011, 1:29 pm

*makes mental note to test if the old spoiler tag hack can be installed on the new phpBB3*

They started a re-run of Star Trek Next Generation last monday. It's so funny to see Worf with the short hair and Riker without beard and a moderately hairy Picard LOL. Gives me a feeling of nostalgia (and a shock at how old I am now)
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

RJDiogenes

#81 Post by RJDiogenes » January 21st, 2011, 12:47 am

Coincidentally, they had a couple of TNG Marathons on Sciffy last week and I got to see some first season eps, as well as some Pulaski ones. It was great seeing them again. Those were the days.

huggle

#82 Post by huggle » January 22nd, 2011, 10:20 pm

heehee, yes, especially the Klingon tea epi ("And now, please, recite some Klingon poetry")

RJDiogenes

#83 Post by RJDiogenes » January 22nd, 2011, 11:33 pm

:lol:

I liked Pulaski. It was a shame that we never saw her again. I always wished she would show up on DS9 or something.

huggle

#84 Post by huggle » January 23rd, 2011, 8:23 pm

great minds, indeed! She was totally cool and always in control of every situation, quite contrary to Dr Crusher (who was imo a little too emotional). Highly professional. She'd have been cool as doctor on DS9. Imagine her patching up Worf and Jadzia after their training sessions on the holo deck. The writers missed a huge chance fior witty dialogues there. Pulaski/Quark would also have been a combination with a lot of potential for interesting episodes.
Dr Bashir and Dr Crusher were just too smooth personalities. Dr Pulaski had more edges and corners - more chances for friction with the other strong characters.
We could ask Robert Wolfe over at Terran if he knows why she left.

Currently watching: Star Wars - The Clone Wars

RJDiogenes

#85 Post by RJDiogenes » January 23rd, 2011, 11:27 pm

I guess they convinced the powers-that-be to bring back Crusher, and that was it for poor Pulaski. They could at least have given her some guest spots.

huggle

#86 Post by huggle » January 24th, 2011, 5:50 pm

I couldn't agree more.

Watching tonight: Space Balls (with Dutch subtitles. I learn a lot of slang this way, heehee)

RJDiogenes

#87 Post by RJDiogenes » January 25th, 2011, 12:51 am

The second episode of Being Human is on tonight. I can't wait to see how that cliffhanger resolves.

huggle

#88 Post by huggle » January 27th, 2011, 1:09 pm

I'm in the mood for something funny and romantic today: Someone like You
It's a rather nice story about a man who is lovesick and therefore sleeps with every woman he can get and a woman who is lovesick and therefore decides that all men are swine. Well, you can guess the outcome, but the way there is quite amusing.

RJDiogenes

#89 Post by RJDiogenes » January 28th, 2011, 12:22 am

^^ Let me guess: They don't immediately hate each other to an exaggerated degree, tipping us off to an underlying mutual sexual attraction, and they don't antagonize each other unnecessarily for the whole movie and then they don't fall in love based on that underlying mutual sexual attraction combined with completely incompatible personality types, and then they don't settle down to live happily ever after in defiance of all common sense. They probably just go their own ways and never see each other again, right? :D

Anyway, I bought the DVD set of Tremors, the TV series. 8)

huggle

#90 Post by huggle » January 29th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Not at all :)
They are old friends. Her BF asks her to move in with him, so she gives up her appartment. But then he dumps her and she really quickly needs a place to live as her old appartment is already let again. So she moves in with her old buddy. He comforts her ([almost] without taking advantage of the situation) and tries to convince her that the best therapy is the one he uses against his love sickness: having casual sex with everyone and never letting anyone get close enough to get under his skin.
She finds a different way to cope with her problems: under a pseudonyme she secretly writes evil psychological articles about male behaviour which become a beststeller.
Only when her sister is in hospital and she notices that for her brother-in-law his wife will always be beautiful and lovable, no matter how worn out she looks, the heroine realizes that this is exactly what her friend did when he comforted her.
The future is left to the viewer's imagination. They both know that they have a lot to lose but they also know that they'd lose even more if they wouldn't give it a try. So they do try it.
I like to think it worked :)

Sounds all a bit dry but it's a very funny film. The chemistry between Ashley Judd and Hugh Jackman is simply perfect and they both have a big talent for comical scenes without overdoing it. If you're looking for a DVD to watch with a woman you're planning to seduce, I can wholeheartedly recommend that movie :)

http://www.amazon.com/Someone-Like-You- ... 469&sr=8-1

________

Currently watching: Flash Gordon (the original series with Buster Crabbe and Jean Rogers)

RJDiogenes

#91 Post by RJDiogenes » January 29th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Heh, I expected the cliches and I get faked out. That's a pleasant surprise. I like the hospital revelation. :)

I watched the first episode of Tremors. It was a nice show with a good cast. It's a shame it was canceled so soon.

Today I went to Newbury Comics to spend a $10 gift card I got for Christmas and I decided to get Sanctuary Season One. They had it for $25. When I was checking out, the guy says, "Hey, this is on sale for $11.50." So I got it for a buck and a half. 8)

DanTheGrey

#92 Post by DanTheGrey » February 26th, 2011, 3:03 am

Without going into details about *how* for some of these shows :)

- Fast & Loose - BBC kind of improv show in the style of Whose Line Is It Anyway. Same ppl behind it.
- Top Gear UK
- How TV Ruined Your Life - Basically a sarcastic comedian looking at the distorted reality TV force feeds into our brains
- 10 O'clock Live - another UK show, comedians (and some sort of half comedian, half former singer) looking at issues

And more standard North American fare..
- Robot Chicken
- Venture Brothers (series 1)
- Attack of the Show
- Fringe
- Bones (finishing series 1)
- Deadwood (still in series 1)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people in the world? -- Stephen Fry

huggle

#93 Post by huggle » February 26th, 2011, 11:26 am

The Clone Wars are on here every Saturday from 8:15 to 10:15 pm (which is why I am usually a few mins late for the chat).
Other than that, the TV programme has been so terribly bad lately that I resorted to watching all my Hercule Poirot DVDs.

RJDiogenes

#94 Post by RJDiogenes » February 26th, 2011, 10:42 pm

I'm watching Space Patrol. :w00t:

huggle

#95 Post by huggle » February 27th, 2011, 12:05 am

yet another addict :D

RJDiogenes

#96 Post by RJDiogenes » February 27th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Only seven episodes. :cry:

huggle

#97 Post by huggle » February 27th, 2011, 9:08 pm

yes, but 6 good ones out of 7 (the one on the prison planet is a bit weak imo. I could well have done without the torture scenes).
That's a better rate than several seasons with 80% weak episodes (Enterprise, Voyager, Lexx, Andromeda after season 2, etc).
There is a book series with some 30 volumes afaik. I've read a few and they are worse than you would believe possible. The mini series is infinitely better.

Last watched: Hamlet (the 1948 version with Sir Laurence Olivier). Geez - Hamlet was such a fool! Why the hell didn't he tell Ophelia about his plans? And if I go to stab someone, I first take a good look in order to hit the right spot! (And in order to avoid accidentally impaling my future father-in-law) And would a hardhearted criminal, a murderer and adulterer really become weak in the knee if he sees a theatrical company replay one of his crimes? Come on! Doesn't even one character in that play have any brains?! *grumblegrumblegrumble*

curiousa2z

#98 Post by curiousa2z » March 12th, 2012, 3:29 pm

really enjoying The Finder, Justified, Dexter, True Blood and Bones.
They seem to take turns being on bloody long hiatuses, so I offset them with Grimm (hit and miss)and Hawaii Five-O, which is no where nearly as well-written or acted, but has GREAT scenery, eye candy and fight scenes.
I am giving Awake a try, because the actor who played Lucius Malfoy is so good, and the twist is so bizarre.
SHINY!

RJDiogenes

#99 Post by RJDiogenes » March 12th, 2012, 11:58 pm

I love True Blood and Bones; can't wait for them to come back. I saw the set up for The Finder on Bones, but I haven't been motivated to watch the actual series. I never heard of Justified and have no interest in Dexter.

Grimm is good, but I haven't been able to find time to watch past the first two (although hearing that Amy Acker is in one is good motivation). I tried to watch the first episode of Hawaii Five-O, but it was too awful to bear. Awake is another one that I haven't heard of.

Right now I'm watching Walking Dead and Once Upon A Time on Sunday nights. Both are excellent. Tonight will be Being Human and Lost Girl. Being Human is fantastic and Lost Girl is interesting-- I haven't fully made up my mind.

PrincessWhoopAss

#100 Post by PrincessWhoopAss » March 13th, 2012, 1:05 am

Walking Dead. Yes yes yes. I love it.

Also, Unforgettable.